Books on How to Play?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Lunar Ronin

New Generation Grognard
Administrator
Reaction score
A friend of mine is somewhat interested in the idea of playing tabletop RPGs, but doesn't want to start until she knows much more about it. I avoided recommending Critical Role on Twitch and such because that can give people a false impression. Since my friend is a voracious reader, are there any good "How to play tabletop RPG" books you'd recommend?

A friend of mine is somewhat interested in the idea of playing tabletop RPGs, but doesn't want to start until she knows much more about it. I avoided recommending Critical Role on Twitch and such because that can give people a false impression. Since my friend is a voracious reader, are there any good "How to play tabletop RPG" books you'd recommend?
Maybe point her at a mini-game like Lady Blackbird.

The Menzer player's book is probably the best I've seen overall, but honestly the best thing is to get her to play. Hand-pick a small and select group of folks who are laid back and not rules lawyers, let her experience the game that way.

Swords & Wizardry Quick Start

1601340430981.png

Old School Primer

1601340519300.png

How to be a GURPS GM

1601340181362.png

Robin Laws of Good Gamemastering

1601340167467.png

GURPS for Dummies
Amazon product

1601340218739.png

D&D Essentials Kit
1601340300527.png

D&D Starter Set
1601340354612.png

There are tons of books about how to run RPGs, but I don't know that I've seen any about how to play RPGs.

As E-Rokcer points out, there are a lot of resources that focus on how to GM, not many that specifically talk about being a player.

Greg Stolze wrote a couple of system agnostic essays drawing the distction, namesly "How to Run and Roleplaying Game" and "How to Play a Roleplaying Game". The latter may be what you are looking for. They both available as pdfs in the Free Stuff section of this page:

Some great suggestions. As much as I love the Red Box I think the Stoltze essays and Lady Blackbird may be best for an adult newbie these days.

Also any new player has to be told that there is no 'one true way' of gaming. They have to play in a way that they find interesting while not treading on the fun of other players.

Have your time in the limelight, but don't hog it. Follow your character's story, but help other players follow their stories. Be a badass, but let the other players feel badass as well.

To the majority of players this is so natural as part of standard social interaction that they will find their happy medium without trying.

Prince Valiant has the best exampe of play I've ever seen in a game. But, I mean, this is the age of Youtube, wouldn't it be easier to just send her a video? Or better yet, show her the Community episodes

Note the OP stated she's a READER so videos fall short if you don't get on with them and they're mostly about running games with the ones actually playing a game tending to not show the best of the hobby.

Note the OP stated she's a READER so videos fall short if you don't get on with them

OK, I mean, I've never heard of a situation where being a reader precluded an ability or even desire to watch informational videos

and they're mostly about running games with the ones actually playing a game tending to not show the best of the hobby.

huh?

Anyhow, here was my into to RPGs. Not sure how commonly affordabe it is these days secondhand, but it gives a good description of play, provides a solo scenario with a simple original system, and has a very dated overview of the hoby.

91SuqyztNrL.jpg

Dated and somewhat specific to 3.x D&D but still a reasonable nuts and bolts guide.

Attachments

• IMG_20200929_125106-01.jpeg
    IMG_20200929_125106-01.jpeg
    86.8 KB · Views: 0
Thank you for the advice, y'all. I'll forward some of it her way. :smile:

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back