Boot Hill: El camino del Diablo character records

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Reaction score
This here is a thread to keep track of your characters. There will be another in-character thread as soon as I compose the opening paragraph so you can start doing things. I'm going to clean these up off and on during the day so they look nice and tell you what you need to know about your character, like what you need to roll to hit with different weapons as soon as I can calculate the modifiers. I'll also update this first post during the game with any changes.

If it's not listed here, you don't have it, so let me know what else you want either on your person or in your luggage/gear/saddlebags. I gave everyone a canteen full of water. I'd recommend Eli pack a pistol in addition to his Sharps, for instance. If you're not sure how much money you'd carry with you, you can always roll 1d100 and consider that your dollars in gold coin.

Elijah "Eli" Johnson
Wells Fargo Stagecoach Agent
Player: Endless Flight

Speed: 29 (+2)
Gun Accuracy: 77 (+10)
Throwing Accuracy: 65 (+5)
Strength: 48 ( Ability Score = 14)
Bravery: 78 (+2 Speed / +6 Accuracy)
Experience: 55 (-5 Accuracy)

First Shot Rating:
with Buffalo Rifle: -6 (that is a negative, not a subtraction, for when we determine who shoots first)
with Double Action Revolver: +9 (that is a positive, not an addition, see note above)

Base Hit Determination:
Gun: 61%
Throwing: 56%

(Remember, for melee/brawling combat, highest speed modifier goes first!)

Equipment:
Sharps rifle (in game terms is a single-shot Buffalo Rifle (BR), Weapon Speed = Very Slow (-10 speed modifier), but has the longest range of any firearm available
2 six-shot double-action .442-caliber Adams revolvers (DAR6) , Weapon Speed = Average (+5 speed modifier)
Hunting knife [abbreviated KN, Weapon Speed = Average (+5)]
Canteen
100 rounds ammunition
Buffalo jerky
2 spare handerchiefs
1 silver shield mechanical pocketwatch with chain

Steve Anderson
United States Army Private
Player: Doc Sammy

Speed: 48 (+4)
Gun Accuracy: 100 (+20)
Throwing Accuracy: 64 (+5)
Strength: 78 (Ability Score = 16)
Bravery: 41 (+1 Speed/+3 Accuracy)
Experience: 43 (-5 Accuracy)

First Shot Rating:
with Repeating Rifle: +0
with Single Action Revolver: +13

Base Hit Determination:
Gun: 68%
Throwing: 53%

Sharpshooter: anytime Steve shoots, he can choose to use one of these two options:
(1) +10 to dice rolls for both wound location and extent of injuries on the Wound Chart; or
(2) Choose an exact area that he is shooting for (head, hand, etc.) with -10 to roll to hit, but ANY hit will strike the chosen area. Note that only 1 shot per turn is allowed with this option.

Equipment:
.44-caliber Henry Rifle [in game terms, Repeating Rifle abbreviated 15R, Weapon Speed = Slow (-5 speed modifier)] in leather rifle scabbard on horse
.44-caliber Smith & Wesson Model 3 [in game terms, 6-shot Single Action Revolver, abbreviated SAR6, Weapon Speed = Fast (+8 speed modifier)]
Bowie knife [abbreviated KN, Weapon Speed = Average (+5)]
Canteen
100 rounds .44 caliber ammunition (usable with rifle or revolver)
Boots
A good-quality Appaloosa mare who likes to rub against fences and likes to bite strangers

Philip Townsend traveling under the name Marcus Boone
Gambler
Player: Bunch

Speed: 97 (+19)
Gun Accuracy: 76 (+7)
Throwing Accuracy: 61 (+2)
Bravery: 62 (+1 Speed/+3 Accuracy)
Strength: 99 (Ability Score = 19)
Experience: 82 (+0)

First Shot Rating:
with Two-Shot Derringer: +25
with Fast-Draw Revolver: +30

Base Hit Determination:
Gun: 60%
Throwing: 55%

Gambler Rating: 49
Anytime Philip/Marcus gambles, he has two options if he wants to cheat:
(1) subtle cheating with no chance of being caught = +5 to all % rolls while gambling; or
(2) chances being caught = +20 to all % rolls

Equipment:
Two-shot Derringer (2D), Weapon Speed = Average (+5)
w/ 12 extra rounds ammo
Six-shot fast-draw revolver (FDR6), Weapon Speed = Very Fast (+10)
w/ 100 extra rounds ammo (boxed)
$50.00 in gold coins
Fancy clothes
Deck of playing cards
Canteen and trail rations
Ordinary attire and riding gear in luggage

Oliver Lloyd III
Pinkerton National Detective Agent
Player: Edgewise

Speed: 64 (+6)
Gun Accuracy: 43 (+2)
Throwing Accuracy: 95 (+15)
Strength: 39 (Ability Score = 13)
Bravery: 84 (+3 Speed/+10 Accuracy)
Experience: 64 (-5 Accuracy)

First Shot Rating:
with Repeating Rifle: +4
with Single Action Revolver: +17
with Single-Shot Derringer: +14

Base Hit Determination:
Gun: 57%
Throwing: 70%

Equipment:
1 bottle of fine Kentucky bourbon
1 bottle of rotgut gin
1 fine outfit
1 riding outfit
1travel outfit
2 suitcases
1 Bible with hollowed-out area and leather buckle (single-shot derringer in Bible [1D, Weapon Speed = Average (+5 speed modifier)] + 16 rounds
.44 caliber Henry Rifle [15R, Weapon Speed = Slow (-5 speed modifier)] +
48 rounds
.44 caliber Colt Army Model 1860 [6-shot Single Action Revolver, abbreviated SAR6, Weapon Speed = Fast (+8 speed modifier)] + 36 rounds
2 Arkansas toothpicks [abbreviated KN, Weapon Speed = Average (+5)]
Canteen
Telescope
Opium pipe
Small framed photograph of younger brother

Zeke McAdam
Wells Fargo shotgun messenger

(Remember, NPCs don't get bonuses to their rolls, so be forgiving)
Speed: 03 (-5)
Gun Accuracy: 57 (+5)
Throwing Accuracy: 26 (+0)
Strength: 70 (Ability Score = 15)
Bravery: 55 (+1 Speed/+3 Accuracy)
Experience: 14 (-10 Accuracy)

First Shot Rating:
with Double-Barrel Shotgun: -9
with Single Action Revolver: +4

Base Hit Determination:
Gun: 48%
Throwing: 43%
Equipment:
Colt Model 1849 Pocket revolver [6-shot Single Action Revolver, abbreviated SAR6, Weapon Speed = Fast (+8 speed modifier)]
Sawed-off 12-gauge double-barrel breech-loading shotgun [2SG, Weapon Speed = Slow (-5 speed modifier)
Canteen
King James Bible
Jug of rye whiskey
Notebook of Wells Fargo schedules and personal poetry

Last edited:
Oliver is going to need some kind of potent intoxicant for the long dusty coach ride...Apaches be damned! Don't worry: the horses can't carry enough to render him senseless.

Perhaps two bottles of spirits?

Oliver is going to need some kind of potent intoxicant for the long dusty coach ride...Apaches be damned! Don't worry: the horses can't carry enough to render him senseless.

Perhaps two bottles of spirits?

Well, they put the intoxication rules on page 14 for a reason...

Do we have $150 to spend on what we have on our person?

I definitely want two double action revolver (6 shot), double holster, a hunting knife, a couple spare hankerchiefs, and some buffalo jerky. Also a nice watch if I can afford it.

Last edited:
Do we have $150 to spend on what we have on our person?

I definitely want a double action revolver (6 shot), a hunting knife, hankerchief, and some buffalo jerky. Also a nice watch if I can afford it.
Yes, buy what you like. You can take a watch as an heirloom or buy a new one.

Edit: went ahead and updated...I assumed a watch of this type with a chain:
sterling-silver-antique-pocket-watch-english-lever-dated-1901-excellent-working-condition_2.jpg

Last edited:
I'd like to add a box (100 rounds) of handgun ammo and twelve rounds or ammo for the Derringer.

Well, they put the intoxication rules on page 14 for a reason...
Well that's certainly a statement of priorities. And no price list in sight...my kind of bar!
Yes, buy what you like. You can take a watch as an heirloom or buy a new one.
If it's going to be that kind of party, I'll have...
  • a bottle of fine Kentucky bourbon
  • a bottle of rotgut gin
  • one fine outfit
  • one riding outfit
  • one travel outfit
  • 2 suitcases
  • Bible with hollowed-out area and leather buckle
  • single-shot derringer in Bible [in game terms, Single-Shot Derringer abbreviated 1D, Weapon Speed = Average (+5 speed modifier)]
    • 16 rounds
  • 44-caliber Henry Rifle [in game terms, Repeating Rifle abbreviated 15R, Weapon Speed = Slow (-5 speed modifier)]
    • 48 rounds
  • .44-caliber Colt Army Model 1860 [in game terms, 6-shot Single Action Revolver, abbreviated SAR6, Weapon Speed = Fast (+8 speed modifier)]
    • 36 rounds
  • note: 100 rounds total ($2)
  • 2 Arkansas toothpicks [abbreviated KN, Weapon Speed = Average (+5)]
  • canteen
  • telescope
  • treasured opium pipe
  • small framed photograph of younger brother
If that's a pain, I'm fine with what you assigned me.

I totally forgot about buying bullets. I’ll look it over real quick.

I'll update the PC info in the first post some more today as I should have some time a little later. Everybody should try to finalize what they have on their person and in their luggage (if any) by the next couple of days.

Well that's certainly a statement of priorities. And no price list in sight...my kind of bar!

If it's going to be that kind of party, I'll have...
  • a bottle of fine Kentucky bourbon
  • a bottle of rotgut gin
  • one fine outfit
  • one riding outfit
  • one travel outfit
  • 2 suitcases
  • Bible with hollowed-out area and leather buckle
  • single-shot derringer in Bible [in game terms, Single-Shot Derringer abbreviated 1D, Weapon Speed = Average (+5 speed modifier)]
    • 16 rounds
  • 44-caliber Henry Rifle [in game terms, Repeating Rifle abbreviated 15R, Weapon Speed = Slow (-5 speed modifier)]
    • 48 rounds
  • .44-caliber Colt Army Model 1860 [in game terms, 6-shot Single Action Revolver, abbreviated SAR6, Weapon Speed = Fast (+8 speed modifier)]
    • 36 rounds
  • note: 100 rounds total ($2)
  • 2 Arkansas toothpicks [abbreviated KN, Weapon Speed = Average (+5)]
  • canteen
  • telescope
  • treasured opium pipe
  • small framed photograph of younger brother
If that's a pain, I'm fine with what you assigned me.
Updated per your notes.

Unless Edgewise wants to post something first, I'll go ahead and move the stagecoach into town tomorrow morning and pick up from there...

Posted your First Shot Ratings with your various firearms and Base Hit Determinations up top. Identical First Shot Ratings fire simultaneously. Also remember your % chance to hit can be increased or decreased by things such as range, moving targets, wounded shooters, and so on.

In fistfights and knife fights and such, who goes first is determined by your raw Speed.

Also note that revolvers can be fired up to 3 times in a turn, but your 2nd shot is at -10% and your 3rd shot is at -20% so it's not always smart to shoot as many times as you can. And if you shoot three times in a turn, you'll also need to reload much sooner.

There are some optional rules on page 13, but at least for now we aren't using them as they will make gunfights take incredibly long in a play-by-post.

When/if Philip alias Marcus starts to play, let me know via PM whether he will cheat and whether he is using the subtle method for +5% with no chance of being caught or the more blatant method for +20%. I'll roll versus your Gambler Rating accordingly to determine whether anyone catches you cheating if you choose the +20% option.

Also, anyone who is playing cards, I'll want your % rolls via PM so nobody will know who rolled what. If anyone catches anyone else cheating, I'll advise via PM as well.
army-and-navy-1865-large.jpg

I've got a % roll from Oliver (Edgewise) and have made a % roll for Travis Beck.

To resolve the first hand we just need to know the stakes and a % roll from Marcus/Philip (Bunch) to resolve (as well as telling me if he's cheating).

In case you're interested, I'm generating real random poker hands but assigning them based on who rolled best.

I didn't feel like looking for an actual deck of cards so I used this site: https://deck-of-cards.js.org/

I’d just like to add a box of 100 bullets to my list of possessions.

I’d just like to add a box of 100 bullets to my list of possessions.

Added.

It's almost like you guys are expecting trouble.

Good thing I rolled a few random encounters for the trail...:gunslinger:

I’m expecting anything including wild animals. :grin:

When I shoot a man I want him to know he's been shot. Nothing does that like repetition!

Is the stage near any cover like large rocks or brush or are we all out in the open?

Is the stage near any cover like large rocks or brush or are we all out in the open?
All out in the open in the middle of the trail, unless you decide to try to pull off to the side and find some desert boulders for cover. Might take a minute or two.

FYI, the riders are at long range for the nonce. You have time to maneuver behind the boulders if you want to, or you can flee, whatever Eli decides since he holds the reins. Since Steve has a horse of his own, he can decide for himself independent of the coach. I'm going to wait on the other players to say what their characters are doing before I update from where it is now.

Edit: They really need to make an autocorrect with a larger vocabulary. It keeps changing real words like "nonce" to "mince"!

Last edited:
I am also enjoying this campaign so far. I hope it goes well.

I do have a question though. What happens if a character dies? Do we roll up a new character and wait for a new opening into the story?

I am also enjoying this campaign so far. I hope it goes well.

I do have a question though. What happens if a character dies? Do we roll up a new character and wait for a new opening into the story?

Just roll up a new one that fits wherever we happen to be. So, for instance, let's say poor Steve gets gunned down in a Tucson saloon; you'd just roll up some new stats and equip a new PC and decide how he or she fits into the scheme of things. Maybe you'd be a ranch hand, a prospector, a town marshal, whatever seems right, or even another soldier if you wanted. Could even be Steve's cousin Andy Stevenson.

Right now I'm keeping it limited to four PCs simply because juggling more than that is extra work and that would also mean each of us would need to wait on that many more people to respond before anything progresses, which would slow things down considerably.

Just roll up a new one that fits wherever we happen to be. So, for instance, let's say poor Steve gets gunned down in a Tucson saloon; you'd just roll up some new stats and equip a new PC and decide how he or she fits into the scheme of things. Maybe you'd be a ranch hand, a prospector, a town marshal, whatever seems right, or even another soldier if you wanted. Could even be Steve's cousin Andy Stevenson.

Right now I'm keeping it limited to four PCs simply because juggling more than that is extra work and that would also mean each of us would need to wait on that many more people to respond before anything progresses, which would slow things down considerably.

Thank you for the clarification, my good man.

Great start so far. Really enjoying it. :smile:

That is gratifying to know. I'm mostly just using stuff I know about plus random rolls...as soon as we hear from Edgewise about what Oliver is doing, I've already got a couple more posts to make based on what has been declared by you, Doc, and Bunch so far. I got a great random encounter roll result...

Edit: I'm also having fun at my end...Boot Hill is one of those games I'd be happy to run anywhere, anytime, but Westerns aren't as popular as fantasy RPGs.

Any o' you owlhoots ever play or run BH2: Lost Conquistador Mine before? If not, I'm considering adapting it if our game goes that direction and lasts long enough.
page_1_thumb_large.jpg

This is all the boot hill I've ever played.

This is all the boot hill I've ever played.
But hopefully not all the Boot Hill you ever will play!

I'm pretty sure this is Doc Sammy's first time as well.

Well, don't go reading the pirated PDF just in case...although with me no module ever gets used as-is anyway.

But hopefully not all the Boot Hill you ever will play!

I'm pretty sure this is Doc Sammy's first time as well.

Well, don't go reading the pirated PDF just in case...although with me no module ever gets used as-is anyway.
I still haven't completely read the rules. Reading the Adventure would take the fun out of it even if I had time to.

I still haven't completely read the rules. Reading the Adventure would take the fun out of it even if I had time to.

You really don't even need to read the rules. I run games all the time for players who don't really know the system. They just have to get an idea of who their characters are and describe what they are trying to do and I sort out what rules apply and if any rolls need to be made. I actually think it lets them focus more on what's going on in the game world.

This would be a good time to tell me if any of your characters speak Spanish or any other languages aside from English, as well as whether they can read and write English (or any other languages as well, since someone might speak Spanish but not be able to write it, etc.). Your choice as long as you can justify it with your background and character concept.

Oliver read and writes very nicely in English. As for Spanish, he's probably picked up a few pidgin words in Frisco but he's probably more likely to know a phrase in Chinese.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back