Boot Hill: Pima County

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
With a curse, Cisco snatches up his rifle and moves to cover the Eugene and Lars.

OOC: Cisco's moving to basically the same position as he occupied when he first encountered Pigface to start and will proceed from there.

Are Pigface's Dragoons CBRs or are they cartridge-converted SARs?
The .44 Colt Dragoons are single-action revolvers with six-round cylinders (SAR6).

Also, when/if anyone shoots, be sure identify your target(s) and make one roll to-hit per target and one roll per shot for wound location at the same time instead of waiting to find out if you hit as that will speed things up quite a bit. I'll sort out the sequence of actions based on your respective speeds. Post your raw rolls: I'll apply any applicable modifiers for additional shots in the same turn, cover, moving shooter or target, fighting while wounded, etc., and post the actual results of each turn.

OCC: Exactly who was left behind besides Quinn? Sounds like Juan at minimum.

OCC: Exactly who was left behind besides Quinn? Sounds like Juan at minimum.
Cisco and Eugene went up ahead a short distance to scout and took a prisoner. MacRegan then joined them. Eugene and Lars are midway between that location and the large boulder from behind which a small plume of smoke is rising. Corbin, Quinn, Tybalt, and Juan are currently with the horses just behind Cisco and Eugene, but can move forward any time they choose to do so. Here is the layout from your group perspective:
20190503_131654.jpg
I left the map blank beyond where you can clearly see. The map legend and scale are at the bottom right corner. The prisoner is represented by the stick figure; all of you are represented by the first three letters of your respective names. I made tiny square chits so I can move you and anyone else around on the map and upload revised positions.

Also, before I forget: make sure you indicate what weapon (if any) you are using as there are different range modifiers depending on what you are firing. One square on the map = one space on the range chart on page 8 of the rulebook.

Last edited:
Corbin edges forward slowly with the horses to join MacRegan and Cisco and listen to their conversation with Davis.

However he keeps his knife out and looks around repeatdely at nearby rocky outcrops, fearing Cisco and MacRegan will be prime targets due to being distracted by conversation.

Lars dismounts and nervously heads around the bolder, gun still drawn and pointed up into the air.

Are you trying to go around the left or right side of the boulder? Also: running, walking, crouching, crawling? Just in case anything bad happens...:gunslinger:

Eeeep! That's a lot of important posts that turned up while I was procrastinating! :shock: Er, I suppose I would have gone around the right side of the boulder, and trying to be crouched down.

Cisco and Eugene went up ahead a short distance to scout and took a prisoner. MacRegan then joined them. Eugene and Lars are midway between that location and the large boulder from behind which a small plume of smoke is rising. Corbin, Quinn, Tybalt, and Juan are currently with the horses just behind Cisco and Eugene, but can move forward any time they choose to do so. Here is the layout from your group perspective:
OOC: If that stick figure is Pigface, Cisco brought him a little further back before sitting him down - call it two squares down and one square right. Cisco's covering position looks right.

'Lars! Eugene! Go, go! Cisco hisses, motioning toward the boulder with his rifle. To MacRegan, he says, 'Send Juan to cover that left flank!' The attorney's eyes scan the space for between the boulder and the rocks to his right for targets.

Eugene heads toward the boulder, rifle held in one hand, trying to stay low... Once he reaches the boulder he flattens himself against it, takes his rifle in both hands, and peers around the left side...

You see the subtle movement of shadowy figures and the glint of moonlight reflected off rifle barrels. There look to be two men on the boulder with rifles and good, rocky cover. "Y'ALL BEST NOT SO MUCH AS TWITCH OR YOU'RE DEAD MEN!" shouts a basso profundo voice from atop the boulder. Lars is crouched and sneaking along the right and sees a rifleman there, and Eugene has moved into good cover betwixt cacti and the boulder but hears and sees another rifleman with equally good cover between a tall cottonwood and the cacti.
Boca de la Vaca Canyon update 1.jpg
Current positions
Black Vulmea Black Vulmea, Gringnr Gringnr, Baeraad Baeraad, and Séadna Séadna have all have moved or declared actions for Cisco, Eugene, Lars, and Corbin. I want to give Shemek hiTankolel Shemek hiTankolel, AsenRG AsenRG, Supervisor194 Supervisor194, and F FeralToaster time to post what MacRegan, Juan, Quinn, and Tybalt want to do. The rest of you can talk in character or out of character, but I'm giving the others time to respond before anyone else moves/acts.

Last edited:
Tybalt gun drawn rides his horse two squares left to get cover from the boulder. If he can get a clean shot he'll take it but otherwise he'll cover the flank for ambushes. If he hears a plan from MacRegan he will attempt it that plan.

Tybalt's gun is the SAR5 (2boxes of ammunition) and 5 hunting knives in reserve

OOC: How much do we hear from the commotion? It's my understanding that we don't see it.

IC: "Let's tie those horses here. Unless anyone fancies walking..."
And he proceeded to do as he had suggested.

OOC: How much do we hear from the commotion? It's my understanding that we don't see it.
The light is poor, but you see vague movement of shadowy figures and the glint of moonlight reflected off their rifle barrels, enough that you can place their locations as per the map in post #810. I'll post an update of positions after we hear from Shemek hiTankolel Shemek hiTankolel and then we'll see what happens from there.

OOC: Can I backtrack a bit since I missed most of the real time events? I was hoping to begin where pig face shouts out to his friends.

MacRegan has never seen this man before now.

"Jeff Davis, what's it t' you?" replies your prisoner with a sneer.

As soon as Eugene and Lars begin to move, the prisoner shouts at the top of his lungs: "IT'S THE LAW, BOYS!"

I'll upload a hex map or drawing of the terrain and positions in a little while in case any shooting starts.

MacRegan will bring the butt of his .44 down on the top of Pig face's head. He doesn't want to kill him, but won't be upset if he does... ;)

You see the subtle movement of shadowy figures and the glint of moonlight reflected off rifle barrels. There look to be two men on the boulder with rifles and good, rocky cover. "Y'ALL BEST NOT SO MUCH AS TWITCH OR YOU'RE DEAD MEN!" shouts a basso profundo voice from atop the boulder. Lars is crouched and sneaking along the right and sees a rifleman there, and Eugene has moved into good cover betwixt cacti and the boulder but hears and sees another rifleman with equally good cover between a tall cottonwood and the cacti.
View attachment 8892
Current positions
Black Vulmea Black Vulmea, Gringnr Gringnr, Baeraad Baeraad, and Séadna Séadna have all have moved or declared actions for Cisco, Eugene, Lars, and Corbin. I want to give Shemek hiTankolel Shemek hiTankolel, AsenRG AsenRG, Supervisor194 Supervisor194, and F FeralToaster time to post what MacRegan, Juan, Quinn, and Tybalt want to do. The rest of you can talk in character or out of character, but I'm giving the others time to respond before anyone else moves/acts.
OOC: Does MacRegan recognise the voice?

OOC: MacRegan will duck behind the rock at his 8 if it will provide cover. If not he will go to the same side as Cisco and take cover there. I will wait until I find out if he recognises the voice of the gun man before taking any further actions.

"Y'ALL BEST NOT SO MUCH AS TWITCH OR YOU'RE DEAD MEN!"
Cisco twitches.

OOC: Cisco's targeting the outlaw second from the right, over Lars left shoulder, firing three shots in quick succession.
R15 BSP +2 BAC 70%
1st shot: to hit 90 wound loc 57
2nd shot: to hit 31 wound loc 26
3rd shot: to hit 12 wound loc 44

OOC: Can I backtrack a bit since I missed most of the real time events? I was hoping to begin where pig face shouts out to his friends.
Yes. Cisco's declared action hasn't happened yet. Once everyone declares his individual action, I'll sort them by speed and resolve them in sequence.
MacRegan will bring the butt of his .44 down on the top of Pig face's head. He doesn't want to kill him, but won't be upset if he does... ;)
Since there's no way for him to avoid it, there's no reason to roll. The prisoner drops to the ground like a heavy sack of potatoes.
OOC: Does MacRegan recognise the voice?
No.
OOC: MacRegan will duck behind the rock at his 8 if it will provide cover. If not he will go to the same side as Cisco and take cover there. I will wait until I find out if he recognises the voice of the gun man before taking any further actions.
I'm going to post the current positions now that you've all replied so I'll move the MacRegan counter there. The rock provides "target obscured" cover.

Last edited:
20190504_010732.jpg
The sideways figure of the prisoner indicates his unconsciousness. Supervisor194 Supervisor194, let me know if you want Quinn somewhere else in particular. He'd have time to move three squares before any shooting starts. If he needs to be moved on the map, I'll upload the revision. Same goes for AsenRG AsenRG and Juan. It shouldn't affect anyone's actions on your side so you and the others can all also declare your intentions for the next round. I already have Black Vulmea Black Vulmea's declaration of intent; once I have the other seven I'll sort out the order and post what happens. (I've already determined the actions of the four known riflemen...as well as those of any other NPCs who might be in the area...:wink:)

OOC: Is MacRegan's horse near him? Would he be able to get his rifle as he goes to cover?

MacRegan has a .44 S&W Model 3 (SAR6)
Derringer (DR1)
Snider-Enfield Cavalry Carbine (AR1)

He has the. 44 and Derringer on him, as well as a knife.

SAR6 Hit Determination (5+3+10+50) 68%

AR1 Hit Determination (5+3+10+50) 68%

Any rolls to hit I'll have to make this evening, as I got roped in to work today.

OCC: Quinn looks protected by the rock for now so I'm okay with his location, revolver in hand.

OOC: For the previous round...Unless it takes longer than a round.

IC: Juan leads the horses to the tree and ties them there. He has given his word to keep them safe, after all!
Once he is done with that, he starts circling left, carbine in hand.

OOC: Whether or not he gets his rifle from the horse, MacRegan will wait for everyone to get into position before issuing his challenge.

"Put down your arms! You're surrounded. We're only after two men. The rest of you aren't involved yet, but if you start a ruckus I'll gladly deal with you as well!"

ooc can Eugene see the outlaw nearest him, or is he even aware of the man's presence?

IC: Juan leads the horses to the tree and ties them there. He has given his word to keep them safe, after all!
Once he is done with that, he starts circling left, carbine in hand.
I'll move Juan and the horses over by the tree, but any other movement will happen in the following round.
OOC: Is MacRegan's horse near him? Would he be able to get his rifle as he goes to cover?
Nope. MacRegan's horse is over by Juan, who is by the tree about 15 feet to your left. In the next round you can try to go there and unlimber your rifle, but it may leave you temporarily exposed between the rock and the tree.
"Put down your arms! You're surrounded. We're only after two men. The rest of you aren't involved yet, but if you start a ruckus I'll gladly deal with you as well!"
A second voice, hoarse and scratchy, responds: "IT'S YOU WHO'D BEST DROP THEM GUNS! YER TANGLIN' WITH THE RANDAZZO BROTHERS AN' THE BLUE BANDANA GANG! YOU AIN'T NOTHIN' BUT BUZZARD BAIT!"
ooc can Eugene see the outlaw nearest him, or is he even aware of the man's presence?
...and Eugene has moved into good cover betwixt cacti and the boulder but hears and sees another rifleman with equally good cover between a tall cottonwood and the cacti.
Here are your final positions before the shooting starts.
20190504_082903.jpg
We have Cisco's declared actions for the first combat round. What's everyone else doing?

Last edited:
Eugene trains his rifle on the 13th outlaw nearest him, the one he can see....

He will shoot at the man as soon as he has a clean shot

(Roll incoming)

Tybalt will aim for the shooter under the tree to give cover fire to Eugene
(let me just review combat)

first shot determination 24
medium range on a SAR5 +0
rolled a 37 and my hit gun determination is a 62

I roll a 76, 2 above my to-hit number of 74 with my Carbine. Unless there are some kind of modifiers, that's a miss.

If I do hit on account of applicable modifiers, the hit location is 5-Left leg

"Suit yourself you mangey curs! Have at 'em boys! Remember Dead or Alive is fine."

OOC: I will have to declare any shooting actions when I get home. I assume that they would be out of range for my .44?

I roll a 76, 2 above my to-hit number of 74 with my Carbine. Unless there are some kind of modifiers, that's a miss.

If I do hit on account of applicable modifiers, the hit location is 5-Left leg
I'm going to determine the sequence and modifiers once everyone has posted. Some actions may cause modifiers to subsequent actions: for instance, if Quinn wounds Wyatt before Wyatt's shot goes off, Wyatt's shot is at a negative modifier due to the wound.
"Suit yourself you mangey curs! Have at 'em boys! Remember Dead or Alive is fine."

OOC: I will have to declare any shooting actions when I get home. I assume that they would be out of range for my .44?
They are at long range for your .44.

I'm going to determine the sequence and modifiers once everyone has posted. Some actions may cause modifiers to subsequent actions: for instance, if Quinn wounds Wyatt before Wyatt's shot goes off, Wyatt's shot is at a negative modifier due to the wound.

They are at long range for your .44.
ooc do I need to roll "first shot determination?"

OOC: wait I roll wound location? just a sec, rolled a 76 which is chest and 89 for severity which is mortal.

IC: "Eugene, your welcome" Tybalt shouts over the din of battle hoping to bolster the moral of his comrades locked in mortal battle.

ooc just in case it's needed I rolled 86 on wound severity

Corbin draws his revolver and aims for the right most gunman of the two he can see on the boulder.

[First Shot determination of Revolver: 10
Roll to Hit: 9 (Hit Determination 70)
Wound Location: 45 (Left Shoulder)]

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back