Boot Hill: Pima County

Shemek hiTankolel

Tsolyani Refugee
Joined
Jun 23, 2018
Messages
391
Reaction score
374
Character stuff (detective edition)
1. gold plated Waltham pocket watch were a high status item. Highly likely to have a person's initials on them or a personal note. Tybalt checks the watch for a name or message and will see if it matches up with the intials of any of the bandits.

2. the denominations are susceptious. None of these men strike Tybalt as particularly high status while 75 dollars is within the normal amount for workmen it would almost certainly be in fives and tens, easy denomiations for spending at the saloons and such without causing undue notice. The fifty suggests either banditry or they recently had a successful cattle sale.

IC

whether or not Tybalt hunch on the Waltham pans out he pans he speaks out. "Hey MacRegan, I was going through the fallens' effects and I think I might have found some of those fancy clues" Tybalts shows the watch and informs him about the large denominations. Hopefully it will give him some path of investigation.
OOC: Does MacRegan recognise the watch?

"Looks like you found some loot. I hope you'll be buying us some rounds when we get back to town."
 

Gringnr

Chief of the Boat Feels
Joined
Jan 9, 2019
Messages
626
Reaction score
576
Eugene prepares to ride...

"See you soon, Mr. Crenshaw."
 

Black Vulmea

No. Appearing: 30-500
Joined
Apr 27, 2017
Messages
387
Reaction score
877
"Fair enough Cisco, but I don't want to face an even larger force that may come back with those villains, and I don't want those two to warn their comrades again. With these two prisoners I feel that we may be able to get some help from Wayne. After all, it's the locals' bread that these thieves are taking off the table. "

MacRegan scans the sky

"It looks like daylight's not far off which will make going up that pass with cactus a lot easier. I will concede that it would be better to scout."

He then turns to the posse.

"I need someone to ride ahead with Corbin, and scout the trail. Juan, are you a good tracker? No one rides alone."

He then looks at Cisco.

"Cisco, If you want to deploy some men up yonder, on either side to create an enfilade, then that makes sense as well. I would still leave someone on the floor to make our numbers seem more than they are. Who are the best shots with a rifle here?"

MacRegan says to Chet

"When did those cowards leave with the rustled cows, and when do you expect them back?"
"I reckon a few hours gone by since they been through here," replies Chet. "Don't 'spect 'em back for a couple weeks, like as not. Depends on how long them Mexican putas can hold up, heh heh heh!"
"All right then.
Cisco, I'd rather you stayed put for now and get everything organised.
If Juan won't go with Corbin, or ain't up to it, then I need someone else. How about you Lars, or Quinn?"
Cisco nods. 'I hear the Swede is a top-notch tracker,' he says, with a wink to Lars. He turns to MacRegan. ''Three hours is a surmountable lead,' Cisco says quietly. 'If you can raise the men, we can intercept them before they reach the border. Assuming, of course, that he's telling the truth. Either way, I suggest you make haste.'
 

FeralToaster

Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2019
Messages
398
Reaction score
375
tybalt goes to checks Eugene's horse and saddle before he leaves. "You stay safe now Eugene we still got cattle to wrangle" Tybalt gives him a hearty handshake palming him the twenty dollar bill. "Hazard pay" Tybalt whispers.
 

Shemek hiTankolel

Tsolyani Refugee
Joined
Jun 23, 2018
Messages
391
Reaction score
374
Cisco nods. 'I hear the Swede is a top-notch tracker,' he says, with a wink to Lars. He turns to MacRegan. ''Three hours is a surmountable lead,' Cisco says quietly. 'If you can raise the men, we can intercept them before they reach the border. Assuming, of course, that he's telling the truth. Either way, I suggest you make haste.'
"Aye, it's a long one, but not that long. I followed McCoy and Jones from Manitobah, and I don't plan on losing them in Mexico.
If they have played me false, then God help them.
I'll be back soon, one way or another."
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
8,691
Reaction score
13,996
OOC: good question. Is Juan a decent tracker? How do I tell? I mean, he should know...although of course he wouldn't claim he's hopeless, even if he was!
If it fits your background, you're skilled at tracking.
Character stuff (detective edition)
1. gold plated Waltham pocket watch were a high status item. Highly likely to have a person's initials on them or a personal note. Tybalt checks the watch for a name or message and will see if it matches up with the intials of any of the bandits.
The pocketwatch has the initials FJC engraved on the reverse.
OOC: Does MacRegan recognise the watch?
MacRegan immediately recognizes the pocketwatch as the property of Sergeant Frederic J. Cheever, one of the men bushwhacked 30 miles outside Brandon by McCoy, Jones, and their two Métis accomplices.
 

FeralToaster

Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2019
Messages
398
Reaction score
375
"Whelp, looks like this here pocket watch was a clue" Tybalt hands the watch to MacRegan. "Well I'll go and see if this herd of horses needs any tending to." Tybalt checks in on the horses.
 

Shemek hiTankolel

Tsolyani Refugee
Joined
Jun 23, 2018
Messages
391
Reaction score
374
"Whelp, looks like this here pocket watch was a clue" Tybalt hands the watch to MacRegan. "Well I'll go and see if this herd of horses needs any tending to." Tybalt checks in on the horses.
"That it is. It was given to my old pal Freddy by his father a long time ago. Just before we set sail for the Crimea..."

MacRegan's thoughts wander back to those far off shores.

"I'll see that it's given to his boy when the time comes."

He puts it in his right vest pocket, and stares at Chet and Ollie for a moment with death in his eyes before he walks off towards his horse to compose himself.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
2,653
Reaction score
2,263
OOC: Ah, so it's the narrative way? Well, then Juan is, as stated above, skilled enough to do some hunting, but nothing close to Injuns. He'd be much better at sneaking to it once a target has been located.

IC: "I said I'm up for it. Just not very good at it", Juan shrugs. Then he turns to the prisoners.

"You'd better start being more helpful. And stop trying to backtalk him", Juan tells them. "El policiero is considering a hanging, I can smell..."
He then shrugs and turns. It's not like those two are going to avoid a hanging either way.
 
Last edited:

Baeraad

Delicate Snowflake
Joined
Oct 4, 2017
Messages
605
Reaction score
939
Cisco nods. 'I hear the Swede is a top-notch tracker,' he says, with a wink to Lars. He turns to MacRegan. ''Three hours is a surmountable lead,' Cisco says quietly. 'If you can raise the men, we can intercept them before they reach the border. Assuming, of course, that he's telling the truth. Either way, I suggest you make haste.'
Lars grins sheepishly and tries to look dumb enough that no one's going to ask him to do anything difficult without looking so dumb that he might as well be left for the buzzards. It's a trickier balance than most people realise.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
8,691
Reaction score
13,996
OOC: Ah, so it's the narrative way? Well, then Juan is, as stated above, skilled enough to do some hunting, but nothing close to Injuns. He'd be much better at sneaking to it once a target has been located.
It's just like old-time AD&D where your character might have a background as a sailor and therefore have an aptitude with knots. Thus, if your PC background were "erstwhile Apache scout for the Cavalry," we'd presume he is no tyro at tracking and covering his own tracks. It's how Cisco has his legal knowledge and license to practice law, MacRegan has his badge, and Tybalt has his knowledge of cattle and ranching. As long as it's reasonable, it's acceptable.
 

Black Vulmea

No. Appearing: 30-500
Joined
Apr 27, 2017
Messages
387
Reaction score
877
OOC: Ah, so it's the narrative way?
It's just like old-time AD&D where your character might have a background as a sailor and therefore have an aptitude with knots.
OOC: I'll just leave this here.

And speaking of knots . . .


'Can I get one of you ropers to tie up these owl hoots properly?' Cisco asks the assembled hands. After Pigface is trussed like a spring calf, the attorney retrieves the gunbelt used to restrain the outlaw. Cisco slips the gunbelt around his own waist and cinches it down, then holsters the pearl-handled Colts. 'Only a pimp from a cheap Galveston whorehouse carries pearl-handled pistols,' he mutters to no one in particular.

Turning to Corbin and Juan, he begins, 'Best head out now while the rest of us police up this camp. Remember, stay quiet, stay alert. We need to find the outlet of this canyon.' He looks over at the brush corral. That's a lot of remounts for men who plan to be gone for a couple of weeks,' he continues, lowering his voice. 'Seems more likely they'd take them along to drive the stolen beef. Expect trouble but avoid a fight. Fire three shots if you're being pursued and we'll be ready to give them a warm welcome.'

Cisco then recovers his loaned horse, reloads the Henry from the box of shells in the saddle bag, and checks both Colts to make sure they're loaded as well.

OOC: How many spare shells does Pigface have in the loops on his gunbelt?
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
1,096
Reaction score
1,402
Turning to Corbin and Juan, he begins, 'Best head out now while the rest of us police up this camp. Remember, stay quiet, stay alert. We need to find the outlet of this canyon.' He looks over at the brush corral. That's a lot of remounts for men who plan to be gone for a couple of weeks,' he continues, lowering his voice. 'Seems more likely they'd take them along to drive the stolen beef. Expect trouble but avoid a fight. Fire three shots if you're being pursued and we'll be ready to give them a warm welcome.'
"You got it, we'll be careful. Hopefully we'll see them first"

He turns to walk alongside Juan as they head to their horses.

"So how do you want to this? Just look for the outlet straight away, good chance we'll meet our bandit friends along the way"
 

Gringnr

Chief of the Boat Feels
Joined
Jan 9, 2019
Messages
626
Reaction score
576
tybalt goes to checks Eugene's horse and saddle before he leaves. "You stay safe now Eugene we still got cattle to wrangle" Tybalt gives him a hearty handshake palming him the twenty dollar bill. "Hazard pay" Tybalt whispers.
Eugene clasps Crenshaw's hand firmly. "Thanks, boss." He says. "I'll see you soon."
 

FeralToaster

Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2019
Messages
398
Reaction score
375
Searching the bodies of the dead turns up no personal effects aside from four blue bandanas, a gold-plated Waltham pocketwatch, likely stolen, that has seen better days but still runs, a few dozen .44 rounds in their gunbelts and bandoliers, and each man was armed with a .44 rifle, a hunting knife, and a strapped-down .44 revolver on his thigh.

In game terms, the rifles are CWR, the knives are KN, and the revolvers are SAR6.

OOC weapon total 2 .44 rifles, 2 .44 revolvers 2 hunting knifes and lets say 3 boxes of .44 ammunition


IC from over by the horses Tybalt shouts "Got some extra rifles and revolvers if'n anybody needs a backup or a nice hunting knife If you were planning on skinning some game later". Offer open to anybody in shouting distance.

EDITED becuase the quotes were weird
 

Baeraad

Delicate Snowflake
Joined
Oct 4, 2017
Messages
605
Reaction score
939
"Sure, I'll take a rifle if they're getting handed out for free and all," Lars says.

OOC: My Speed goes up to 47 and my Bravery to 50, but neither one changes any modifiers. My Experience, however, goes from 0 gunfights to 1 gunfight, leading to my Accuracy modifier going up from -10 to -5. I can almost hit the broad side of a barn now!
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
2,653
Reaction score
2,263
"You got it, we'll be careful. Hopefully we'll see them first"

He turns to walk alongside Juan as they head to their horses.

"So how do you want to this? Just look for the outlet straight away, good chance we'll meet our bandit friends along the way"
Juan nods at Cisco, and turns to leave. "Three shots, got it. A mi Habladora la gusta a hablar!"

"As stealthy as possible", he answers Corbin. "Ain't no bandit that's going to shoot ya if he doesn't know you're here...of course, if we don't meet any bandidos, that would be time wasted. But...", he shrugs, "I'm fine with that."
He looks back at the two prisoners.
"Of course, if we meet anyone who wasn't supposed to be here, we'd know those two lied to us. What does Mr. Lynch prescribe for lying scum?"
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
1,096
Reaction score
1,402
Juan nods at Cisco, and turns to leave. "Three shots, got it. A mi Habladora la gusta a hablar!"

"As stealthy as possible", he answers Corbin. "Ain't no bandit that's going to shoot ya if he doesn't know you're here...of course, if we don't meet any bandidos, that would be time wasted. But...", he shrugs, "I'm fine with that."
He looks back at the two prisoners.
"Of course, if we meet anyone who wasn't supposed to be here, we'd know those two lied to us. What does Mr. Lynch prescribe for lying scum?"
Corbin looks back at the prisoners "Oh I'm sure we won't have any reason to consult Mr. Lynch" he then nods at the two prisoners "Now you fellas behave yourselves while we're gone"

He heads to his horse with Juan intending to hug the rock wall on the cañón's East.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
8,691
Reaction score
13,996
To clarify:

I have MacRegan and Eugene taking Chet and Ollie to the Big J Ranch, using the route whence you came.

I have Lars, Juan, and Corbin scouting further into the
cañón.

And I have Cisco, Tybalt, and Quinn at the outlaw camp.

Is that correct? If not, let me know so I can properly update for each party.
 

Shemek hiTankolel

Tsolyani Refugee
Joined
Jun 23, 2018
Messages
391
Reaction score
374
OOC: MacRegan will want to make sure that they don't try and bolt, so he will make sure that their hands are tied behind their backs, or maybe they are slung over the saddle....:devil:
 

Black Vulmea

No. Appearing: 30-500
Joined
Apr 27, 2017
Messages
387
Reaction score
877
To clarify . . . I have Lars, Juan, and Corbin scouting further into the cañón.

And I have Cisco, Tybalt, and Quinn at the outlaw camp.
OOC: Juan and Corbin are the scouts, while I believe Lars is remaining with the main body at the camp. @Baeraad, is that correct?

OOC: MacRegan will want to make sure that they don't try and bolt, so he will make sure that their hands are tied behind their backs, or maybe they are slung over the saddle....:devil:
OOC: I asked one of the cowhands to step up to use their skill with roping in post 932. I was hoping for something like this:



:wink:
 

Baeraad

Delicate Snowflake
Joined
Oct 4, 2017
Messages
605
Reaction score
939
OOC: Juan and Corbin are the scouts, while I believe Lars is remaining with the main body at the camp. @Baeraad, is that correct?
Cisco suggested that Lars should come along, him supposedly being such a good tracker and all. I guess it depends on whether he was serious about the first part, and whether the other two could use the help notwithstanding that the second part was in jest?
 

Black Vulmea

No. Appearing: 30-500
Joined
Apr 27, 2017
Messages
387
Reaction score
877
Cisco suggested that Lars should come along, him supposedly being such a good tracker and all. I guess it depends on whether he was serious about the first part, and whether the other two could use the help notwithstanding that the second part was in jest?
OOC: Cisco pulled Lars' leg, hence the wink.
 

Black Vulmea

No. Appearing: 30-500
Joined
Apr 27, 2017
Messages
387
Reaction score
877
Cisco suggested that Lars should come along, him supposedly being such a good tracker and all. I guess it depends on whether he was serious about the first part, and whether the other two could use the help notwithstanding that the second part was in jest?
'Swede!' Cisco addresses Lars, seeing his indecision. 'I'd appreciate your help with these horses, once we get moving,' he says, nodding to the brush corral. 'We'll move faster if we free-trail this herd, and that'll take some wrangling.' He lowers his voice. 'I'd also like to hear about what you heard working in the bunkhouse at the J-Bar, 'Cookie'.'

He rounds up Crenshaw (@FeralToaster) and Quinn (@Supervisor194) as well. 'We've no time to bury these wretches,'' Cisco begins, tilting his head toward the dead men, 'and if that sycher speaks the truth, then there's little value in deception here. I suggest we tie them over their saddles and take them back to Big Jim's, or Saguaro. We'll take that remuda with us as well. Quinn, you and I can take turns leading the string of laden ponies and riding point while, Ty, you and Lars herd the horses. If we get into a scrape, we may be able to use them as a distraction.' He waits for the men's reaction.
 

Shemek hiTankolel

Tsolyani Refugee
Joined
Jun 23, 2018
Messages
391
Reaction score
374
OOC: MacRegan will take a look at the RDP branded Horses, and if they're healthy he'll use them to sling the prisoners over. He will also string one behind him. They are government property after all...
Is Cisco going to go to Big Jim's ranch with MacRegan and Eugene, or is he staying at the camp?
 

Black Vulmea

No. Appearing: 30-500
Joined
Apr 27, 2017
Messages
387
Reaction score
877
OOC: MacRegan will take a look at the RDP branded Horses, and if they're healthy he'll use them to sling the prisoners over. He will also string one behind him. They are government property after all...
Is Cisco going to go to Big Jim's ranch with MacRegan and Eugene, or is he staying at the camp?
OOC: Staying behind. We'll rendezvous with MacRegan and Eugene later.
 

Supervisor194

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2017
Messages
192
Reaction score
241
OCC: Wait, I'm confused. What exactly are Cisco, Quinn, and Ty doing? I thought it was wait at the camp but it sounds like Cisco wants to take the bodies back to either Big Jim's or Saguaro?
 

Black Vulmea

No. Appearing: 30-500
Joined
Apr 27, 2017
Messages
387
Reaction score
877
OCC: Wait, I'm confused. What exactly are Cisco, Quinn, and Ty doing? I thought it was wait at the camp but it sounds like Cisco wants to take the bodies back to either Big Jim's or Saguaro?
OOC: We're at the camp; Cisco's suggesting we load up the outlaw's bodies - is there a bounty on these guys? be nice to find out - and clear out with the horses. We've been told the rest of the outlaws may not return for a couple of weeks, and we don't yet know the lay of the land; we're sending two scouts to find the outlet to the canyon, if possible, and confirm no one's returning. Once we know that, we can meet up with Eugene and MacRegan at Big Jim's or in town.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
8,691
Reaction score
13,996
Cisco, Lars, Tybalt, and Quinn remain at the outlaw camp.

Is there anything particular any of you want to do while you wait for the others?

The sun rises as a lemon yellow band of sky over the eastern rock face a MacRegan and Eugene retrace their course back to the narrow opening into the cañón, finding the friable upward slope hard going. Progress is slow but steady and they find themselves back behind the alligator juniper and prickly pears and emerge back into the western foothills of the Santa Ritas by about 7 a.m. Travel to the Big J Ranch by daylight is a much simpler matter and will take about two hours unless you want to make haste and wear out the horses. Chet and Ollie are more cooperative and quiet now than they were back in the cañón campsite. In fact, they seem downright unconcerned about their prospects.

Is there anything Eugene and MacRegan want to do en route to the Big J Ranch? Your prisoners remain placid unless provoked.

The sun rises as Juan and Corbin explore further into the cañón and discover it to be a hanging valley that runs across a lower, wider valley that continues southeast and looks to come out on the other side of the Santa Rita Mountains. At one point they come across what looks to be the recent tracks of a mountain lion trailing after some mule deer up a slope into a narrow, shaded, grassy side-cañón. The way down into the lower valley is a gradual slope, easy for cattle and men on horseback to traverse, and there are plenty of indicators that some cattle and men on horseback passed this way within the past day: hoofprints, cow flops, a discarded whiskey bottle, and the occasional cigarillo butt. Before the cañón crosses into the valley, Juan and Corbin see what looks to be a small adobe hut abutting a cliff side. The adobe is in disrepair, its walls pockmarked and starting to crumble. The trail of the men riding herd on the cattle doesn't approach the adobe but instead appears to continue downhill, likely out of the mountains and into the San Pedro River valley beyond.

It's about 7 a.m. at this point: do you want to continue scouting or return to your compadres at the campsite, or do something altogether different?
 

Shemek hiTankolel

Tsolyani Refugee
Joined
Jun 23, 2018
Messages
391
Reaction score
374
OOC: MacRegan will be on the alert the whole time that he is riding back to the Big J. He will be scanning the horizon, his left and his fight, and his 6. He won't be doing in a nervous or panicked, but in a manner that a seasoned person would -calm and attentively. If we pass by Redford's place, he will stop for a spell, say hi, and water his horses before continuing to the Big J. While riding he will make conversation with Eugene to pass the time.

"Eugene, what brings you out here? Are you from Arizona originally?"
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
1,096
Reaction score
1,402
Corbin stops his horse and looks out over the lower valley

"I think we'd be straying a bit far if we continued down there. It's clearly where they are, but we might be pretty obvious descending and who knows how far they are. We head back and report what we've found?"
 

FeralToaster

Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2019
Messages
398
Reaction score
375
OC downtime mechanical stuff while we wait at the outlaw camp Tybalt is going to improve the animal herd diposition so we don't have a stampede if we get ambushed and we can reliably move the horses as a group.

Downtime conversation and current motivation: Beyond that he is going to recall loudly for any PC to hear if any of the horse brands fit with either local ranchs, large farms, or prominent citizens of the town and if so how he (Tybalt) will use their return as a way of introduction and improving the groups (Tybalt's cattle crew and possible MacRegan's Lawdogs) reputation with the town Saguaro.
 
Top