Boot Hill: Pima County

Black Vulmea

No. Appearing: 30-500
Joined
Apr 27, 2017
Messages
412
Reaction score
958
Cisco, Lars, Tybalt, and Quinn remain at the outlaw camp.

Is there anything particular any of you want to do while you wait for the others?
OOC: Load the outlaw's bodies on their horses and otherwise get ready to travel - listen for three shots and have an ambush ready.

@Baeraad: As they set about dragging the dead outlaws to the horses and tying them over their saddles, Cisco asks Lars, 'Swede, did Big Jim's hands have anything to say of interest during your brief tenure as cook? About Jackson or your deceased predecessor, perhaps? What do you think of the character of the hands>'

Downtime conversation and current motivation: Beyond that he is going to recall loudly for any PC to hear if any of the horse brands fit with either local ranchs, large farms, or prominent citizens of the town and if so how he (Tybalt) will use their return as a way of introduction and improving the groups (Tybalt's cattle crew and possible MacRegan's Lawdogs) reputation with the town Saguaro.
Cisco listens to Tybalt's plan regarding returning the horses, nods. 'I agree - it's a powerful introduction. When you visit Mrs Kerrigan's ranch, I'd like to be there - I befriended some of her hands in town and this seems the perfect opportunity to renew the acquaintance.'
 

FeralToaster

Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2019
Messages
475
Reaction score
480
"We both fought bravely on the field of glory it is only proper that we share in the adulation of the townsfolk as we return their valuable livestock" Tybalts proclaims as he ties down one of the outlaw's body to a horse.
 

Gringnr

Chief of the Boat Feels
Joined
Jan 9, 2019
Messages
790
Reaction score
794
OOC: MacRegan will be on the alert the whole time that he is riding back to the Big J. He will be scanning the horizon, his left and his fight, and his 6. He won't be doing in a nervous or panicked, but in a manner that a seasoned person would -calm and attentively. If we pass by Redford's place, he will stop for a spell, say hi, and water his horses before continuing to the Big J. While riding he will make conversation with Eugene to pass the time.

"Eugene, what brings you out here? Are you from Arizona originally?"

"No, sir. I don't know where or when I was born, exactly. I was a slave. I imagine you guessed as much. CSA brought me to Confederate Arizona Eventually, I wound up in the service of Herbert's Battalion. After the Second Battle of Mesilla, the Rebels retreated, but I didn't. I figured no one would mistake me for a Reb, so I didn't need to run from the Union troops coming in from California. I was a free man, and wouldn't be taken back to slavery. Rebels didn't seem too interested in taking me back, they all wanted to return to what was left of their homes and families. I didn't have either one, and I saw no reason to return to a state that had gone to war for the right to keep me a slave. Besides, I was armed, free and of no mind to argue with any man about either. I figure Arizona is as good a place as any for a man to live, now the Rebels have mostly gone home. And so many died, that every battlefield had more weapons than living men left on it. The instruments of my freedom were delivered by God hisself, way I see it.'Course, the CSA didn't teach negros to shoot. I've had to learn that since. How about you, sir? Where you from?"

Eugene also keeps his eyes on the trail and his voice low...
 

Baeraad

Delicate Snowflake
Joined
Oct 4, 2017
Messages
644
Reaction score
1,026
OOC: Load the outlaw's bodies on their horses and otherwise get ready to travel - listen for three shots and have an ambush ready.

@Baeraad: As they set about dragging the dead outlaws to the horses and tying them over their saddles, Cisco asks Lars, 'Swede, did Big Jim's hands have anything to say of interest during your brief tenure as cook? About Jackson or your deceased predecessor, perhaps? What do you think of the character of the hands>'
Lars shrugs.

"I didn't find out much of anything, truth be told. Only thing I learned that seemed of interest was that they'd been having them some trouble with rustlers - reckon that'd be these folks. They all seemed like good fellahs. Big Jim's a bit rough around the edges, and he complained some about how his neighbours don't like him any, but he was fair enough - gave me an advance on my pay and all."
 

Supervisor194

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2017
Messages
213
Reaction score
280
...

Downtime conversation and current motivation: Beyond that he is going to recall loudly for any PC to hear if any of the horse brands fit with either local ranchs, large farms, or prominent citizens of the town and if so how he (Tybalt) will use their return as a way of introduction and improving the groups (Tybalt's cattle crew and possible MacRegan's Lawdogs) reputation with the town Saguaro.

OOC: Load the outlaw's bodies on their horses and otherwise get ready to travel - listen for three shots and have an ambush ready.

Cisco listens to Tybalt's plan regarding returning the horses, nods. 'I agree - it's a powerful introduction. When you visit Mrs Kerrigan's ranch, I'd like to be there - I befriended some of her hands in town and this seems the perfect opportunity to renew the acquaintance.'
"And it'll send a mighty powerful message to any others thinkin' on takin' that which don't belong to them," Quinn adds.
 

Shemek hiTankolel

Tsolyani Refugee
Joined
Jun 23, 2018
Messages
465
Reaction score
478
"No, sir. I don't know where or when I was born, exactly. I was a slave. I imagine you guessed as much. CSA brought me to Confederate Arizona Eventually, I wound up in the service of Herbert's Battalion. After the Second Battle of Mesilla, the Rebels retreated, but I didn't. I figured no one would mistake me for a Reb, so I didn't need to run from the Union troops coming in from California. I was a free man, and wouldn't be taken back to slavery. Rebels didn't seem too interested in taking me back, they all wanted to return to what was left of their homes and families. I didn't have either one, and I saw no reason to return to a state that had gone to war for the right to keep me a slave. Besides, I was armed, free and of no mind to argue with any man about either. I figure Arizona is as good a place as any for a man to live, now the Rebels have mostly gone home. And so many died, that every battlefield had more weapons than living men left on it. The instruments of my freedom were delivered by God hisself, way I see it.'Course, the CSA didn't teach negros to shoot. I've had to learn that since. How about you, sir? Where you from?"

Eugene also keeps his eyes on the trail and his voice low...
"A long way from here Eugene"
MacRegan gesture towards the north.
" If you go that way for about a month you'll get to a small town called Fort Garry. Not much to look at, but I've been in worst places. Before that I was born in a small town in the East called Scarborough, just outside of Toronto. "
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,786
Reaction score
16,599
OOC: MacRegan will be on the alert the whole time that he is riding back to the Big J. He will be scanning the horizon, his left and his fight, and his 6. He won't be doing in a nervous or panicked, but in a manner that a seasoned person would -calm and attentively. If we pass by Redford's place, he will stop for a spell, say hi, and water his horses before continuing to the Big J. While riding he will make conversation with Eugene to pass the time.

"Eugene, what brings you out here? Are you from Arizona originally?"
"No, sir. I don't know where or when I was born, exactly. I was a slave. I imagine you guessed as much. CSA brought me to Confederate Arizona Eventually, I wound up in the service of Herbert's Battalion. After the Second Battle of Mesilla, the Rebels retreated, but I didn't. I figured no one would mistake me for a Reb, so I didn't need to run from the Union troops coming in from California. I was a free man, and wouldn't be taken back to slavery. Rebels didn't seem too interested in taking me back, they all wanted to return to what was left of their homes and families. I didn't have either one, and I saw no reason to return to a state that had gone to war for the right to keep me a slave. Besides, I was armed, free and of no mind to argue with any man about either. I figure Arizona is as good a place as any for a man to live, now the Rebels have mostly gone home. And so many died, that every battlefield had more weapons than living men left on it. The instruments of my freedom were delivered by God hisself, way I see it.'Course, the CSA didn't teach negros to shoot. I've had to learn that since. How about you, sir? Where you from?"

Eugene also keeps his eyes on the trail and his voice low...
The ride is uneventful although the wind is high and gusty as the day moves along and the sun rises in the sky. The Randazzo brothers seem blithely unconcerned about being taken to the ranch, or anywhere else for that matter, perhaps realizing they're not likely to be lynched. When you arrive at the line camp, it's about nine a.m. and you find Redford's shift is over and instead another ranny is there, standing on the lee side of the shack and grooming the horses. The hand looks up with little curiosity and remarks, "Guess I owe Redford a dollar. I bet him you wouldn't come back 'less it was draped across your horses. I'm Kentucky Kefauver. You men hungry? I was just about to rustle up some grub 'n Arbuckle's. Who's your friends?"

Your group is about two hours ahead of the others time-wise.
Corbin stops his horse and looks out over the lower valley

"I think we'd be straying a bit far if we continued down there. It's clearly where they are, but we might be pretty obvious descending and who knows how far they are. We head back and report what we've found?"
If we don't hear to the contrary from @AsenRG by tonight, I'll assume he consents to head back to camp.
OOC: Load the outlaw's bodies on their horses and otherwise get ready to travel - listen for three shots and have an ambush ready.

As they set about dragging the dead outlaws to the horses and tying them over their saddles...
It doesn't take long for the four of you to hoist the four dead rustlers across four horses and make them fast. There are still six saddles, six sets of saddlebags, and six soogans spread about the campsite, and the black iron pot still hangs over the fire, suspended by a wooden tripod and withy, smelling of jalapeños, beans, and beef; the pot is starting to boil over now.
 

Supervisor194

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2017
Messages
213
Reaction score
280
Quinn carefully removes the black pot from the fire. "Anybody want any of this here stew? Smells mighty good."
 

Shemek hiTankolel

Tsolyani Refugee
Joined
Jun 23, 2018
Messages
465
Reaction score
478
The ride is uneventful although the wind is high and gusty as the day moves along and the sun rises in the sky. The Randazzo brothers seem blithely unconcerned about being taken to the ranch, or anywhere else for that matter, perhaps realizing they're not likely to be lynched. When you arrive at the line camp, it's about nine a.m. and you find Redford's shift is over and instead another ranny is there, standing on the lee side of the shack and grooming the horses. The hand looks up with little curiosity and remarks, "Guess I owe Redford a dollar. I bet him you wouldn't come back 'less it was draped across your horses. I'm Kentucky Kefauver. You men hungry? I was just about to rustle up some grub 'n Arbuckle's. Who's your friends?"

Your group is about two hours ahead of the others time-wise.
If we don't hear to the contrary from @AsenRG by tonight, I'll assume he consents to head back to camp.
It doesn't take long for the four of you to hoist the four dead rustlers across four horses and make them fast. There are still six saddles, six sets of saddlebags, and six soogans spread about the campsite, and the black iron pot still hangs over the fire, suspended by a wooden tripod and withy, smelling of jalapeños, beans, and beef; the pot is starting to boil over now.
"No, we'll just water the horses, and make our way to the Big J.
These two? They're worm food, unless I am mistaken. They seem to think stealing horses and cows can be done without consequences."
 

FeralToaster

Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2019
Messages
475
Reaction score
480
Lars shrugs.

"I didn't find out much of anything, truth be told. Only thing I learned that seemed of interest was that they'd been having them some trouble with rustlers - reckon that'd be these folks. They all seemed like good fellahs. Big Jim's a bit rough around the edges, and he complained some about how his neighbours don't like him any, but he was fair enough - gave me an advance on my pay and all."
"Now see here Lars you did do something important, you verified that the information we had was on the level. We were all newcomers to the area and we had to make a choice that would have been a huge hit on our reputations if we acted rashly. You doing what you did let us act prudently" Tybalt says as he adjusts the saddle on a horse.

Quinn carefully removes the black pot from the fire. "Anybody want any of this here stew? Smells mighty good."
"Been awhile since breakfast" Tybalt spoons himself a mouthful. Tybalt's experience on the range tells if it is horse meat Beef or game animal.
ooc Not sure if this is important but yeah worth a shot.
 

Black Vulmea

No. Appearing: 30-500
Joined
Apr 27, 2017
Messages
412
Reaction score
958
It doesn't take long for the four of you to hoist the four dead rustlers across four horses and make them fast. There are still six saddles, six sets of saddlebags, and six soogans spread about the campsite, and the black iron pot still hangs over the fire, suspended by a wooden tripod and withy, smelling of jalapeños, beans, and beef; the pot is starting to boil over now.
Cisco passes on the provender, instead kicking dirt and rocks over the flames to snuff out the fire.

"Now see here Lars you did do something important, you verified that the information we had was on the level. We were all newcomers to the area and we had to make a choice that would have been a huge hit on our reputations if we acted rashly. You doing what you did let us act prudently" Tybalt says as he adjusts the saddle on a horse.
'Mr Crenshaw's absolutely correct,' Cisco adds, a bit absently, studying the campsite. 'It is the function of a corroborating witness to tell the jury what they already heard , to insure, as the Judge often opined, that they not only hear it but know it and believe it.'

'Two prisoners, four dead,' he muses. 'A butcher's bill, indeed. I hope Frenchie and Juanito return soon. Quinn, how about if you and I post a lookout while Mr Crenshaw and Lars tend to the horses?.'

OOC: @Dumarest: Can we get a look of what lies beyond the previous map, specifically the campsite and what's beyond it?
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,786
Reaction score
16,599
Cisco passes on the provender, instead kicking dirt and rocks over the flames to snuff out the fire.

'Mr Crenshaw's absolutely correct,' Cisco adds, a bit absently, studying the campsite. 'It is the function of a corroborating witness to tell the jury what they already heard , to insure, as the Judge often opined, that they not only hear it but know it and believe it.'

'Two prisoners, four dead,' he muses. 'A butcher's bill, indeed. I hope Frenchie and Juanito return soon. Quinn, how about if you and I post a lookout while Mr Crenshaw and Lars tend to the horses?.'

OOC: @Dumarest: Can we get a look of what lies beyond the previous map, specifically the campsite and what's beyond it?
At a little before nine a.m. Cisco, Tybalt, Lars, and Quinn see Juan and Corbin returning to camp, both in one piece and apparently none the worse for wear.

Tomorrow morning I'll upload a map of your immediate vicinity as well as Juan and Corbin's impressions of what lies beyond.
 

Black Vulmea

No. Appearing: 30-500
Joined
Apr 27, 2017
Messages
412
Reaction score
958
@Dumarest: I want to make sure I'm clear on something. You said there are still six saddles etc at the campsite. The two prisoners are presumably riding saddled horses and the four dead outlaws I assumed we would tie over their saddles on the horses. Are you saying there are six ADDITIONAL saddles beyond those six, or do those six saddles belong to the six and we just didn't make clear how we were arranging transport of the quick and the dead?
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
3,292
Reaction score
2,815
At a little before nine a.m. Cisco, Tybalt, Lars, and Quinn see Juan and Corbin returning to camp, both in one piece and apparently none the worse for wear.

Tomorrow morning I'll upload a map of your immediate vicinity as well as Juan and Corbin's impressions of what lies beyond.
Juan approaches Cisco and the Canadian Gringo.
"We've been able to find nobody", he says. "But we still need to put sentries. Better sentries than the soon-to-be-hanged one".

OOC: The forum warned me there was activity in the Shadowrun threads, but not in this one? Is that some kind of discrimination of the older games:devil:?
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,786
Reaction score
16,599
@Dumarest: I want to make sure I'm clear on something. You said there are still six saddles etc at the campsite. The two prisoners are presumably riding saddled horses and the four dead outlaws I assumed we would tie over their saddles on the horses. Are you saying there are six ADDITIONAL saddles beyond those six, or do those six saddles belong to the six and we just didn't make clear how we were arranging transport of the quick and the dead?
There were six saddles total. If anybody said they were saddling the horses for the prisoners and the decedents, I must have missed it. If that's what you did, then there are no additional saddles at the campsite.

Expanded area map.jpg
Your immediate environs: the horse represents the entire remuda

Juan and Corbin scouting.jpg
Note the difference in scale


 

Black Vulmea

No. Appearing: 30-500
Joined
Apr 27, 2017
Messages
412
Reaction score
958
There were six saddles total. If anybody said they were saddling the horses for the prisoners and the decedents, I must have missed it. If that's what you did, then there are no additional saddles at the campsite.
OOC: That's my bad. I figured the two prisoners were on saddled horses, and the bodies were on saddled horses to keep the load centered, but I didn't articulate the image in my head. Yes, please assume that's how we handled it.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,786
Reaction score
16,599
"No, we'll just water the horses, and make our way to the Big J.

These two? They're worm food, unless I am mistaken. They seem to think stealing horses and cows can be done without consequences."
"Hold up there," says Kentucky as you water your horses. "Them two look right familiar to me." He digs into a saddlebag sitting just inside the line shack and retrieves a wad of well-creased papers. Unfolding the wad, he says, "I been carryin' these around for months, don't know why." He hands two documents each to MacRegan and Earl. "Take a look. Ain't they two of these Randazzos?"
ci68554_created.png
ea69843_created.png
fl13304_created.png
pe74077_created.png
 

Black Vulmea

No. Appearing: 30-500
Joined
Apr 27, 2017
Messages
412
Reaction score
958
Juan approaches Cisco and the Canadian Gringo.
"We've been able to find nobody", he says. "But we still need to put sentries. Better sentries than the soon-to-be-hanged one".
'Then I suggest we ride out the way we came in,' Cisco replies, 'and rejoin our compadres post haste.'

Cisco offers to lead the four horses carrying the deceased, suggests two riders trail to act as a rear guard. As they ride, the attorney's eyes use the daylight to search the walls of the canyon for a way to the top of the cliff from the canyon floor - a cleft, a chimney, and natural ramp or staircase. He also looks for signs left on the rocks recorded by previous passers-by.

 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
1,447
Reaction score
1,842
Corbin saddles up and gets into position as a rear guard.
 

Supervisor194

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2017
Messages
213
Reaction score
280
Quinn also saddles up and heads back to the rear with Corbin. "Mind if I keep you company?"
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
1,447
Reaction score
1,842
Corbin smiles at Quinn.

"Not at all friend. Actually haven't spoken to you much despite how we've ended up together on this little trip. You from Saguaro?
 

Shemek hiTankolel

Tsolyani Refugee
Joined
Jun 23, 2018
Messages
465
Reaction score
478
"Hold up there," says Kentucky as you water your horses. "Them two look right familiar to me." He digs into a saddlebag sitting just inside the line shack and retrieves a wad of well-creased papers. Unfolding the wad, he says, "I been carryin' these around for months, don't know why." He hands two documents each to MacRegan and Earl. "Take a look. Ain't they two of these Randazzos?"
"Hold up there," says Kentucky as you water your horses. "Them two look right familiar to me." He digs into a saddlebag sitting just inside the line shack and retrieves a wad of well-creased papers. Unfolding the wad, he says, "I been carryin' these around for months, don't know why." He hands two documents each to MacRegan and Earl. "Take a look. Ain't they two of these Randazzos?"
"They are indeed Kentucky. Well, well, you two are worth $500 whole dollars each, plus another 500 for brother Earl. That's a tidy sum indeed" MacRegan turns to Chet and Ollie "You fellows have sure been busy to draw this much attention. Hell, I wouldn't pay a plug nickel for your hides! How 'bout you Eugene, what do you reckon? Would you pay that much money for these mangey dogs?
How did you meet up with McCoy and Jones anyway? There's no reason to hold out. I'll have them one way or another, and if you help me it will only go good for you."

OOC: MacRegan will finish watering his horse, and the two that Chet and Ollie are on. He will make sure that they are still securely and tightly bound. Also, just to make sure, I'm assuming that all of their personal possessions have been removed and accounted for? They have been checked/frisked as well? If not, I will do so now, hopefully with Eugene's help. I don't want an over looked knife in the boot, or pocket knife in a back pocket to be used by them to cut their bonds. BTW, how did we end up securing them to the horses? Are they slung over the saddles, or seated backwards?
MacRegan does have two sets of handcuffs like these for McCoy and Jones. If I haven't used them yet, then I will put them on before we leave for the Big J.
9259
 

FeralToaster

Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2019
Messages
475
Reaction score
480
: Tybalt, Quinn, Corbin, Lars, Cisco, and Juan] Tybalt will ride in middle on the ride side of the party.
 

Gringnr

Chief of the Boat Feels
Joined
Jan 9, 2019
Messages
790
Reaction score
794

"They are indeed Kentucky. Well, well, you two are worth $500 whole dollars each, plus another 500 for brother Earl. That's a tidy sum indeed" MacRegan turns to Chet and Ollie "You fellows have sure been busy to draw this much attention. Hell, I wouldn't pay a plug nickel for your hides! How 'bout you Eugene, what do you reckon? Would you pay that much money for these mangey dogs?
How did you meet up with McCoy and Jones anyway? There's no reason to hold out. I'll have them one way or another, and if you help me it will only go good for you."

OOC: MacRegan will finish watering his horse, and the two that Chet and Ollie are on. He will make sure that they are still securely and tightly bound. Also, just to make sure, I'm assuming that all of their personal possessions have been removed and accounted for? They have been checked/frisked as well? If not, I will do so now, hopefully with Eugene's help. I don't want an over looked knife in the boot, or pocket knife in a back pocket to be used by them to cut their bonds. BTW, how did we end up securing them to the horses? Are they slung over the saddles, or seated backwards?
MacRegan does have two sets of handcuffs like these for McCoy and Jones. If I haven't used them yet, then I will put them on before we leave for the Big J.
View attachment 9259
"I don't imagine I'd give so much as a penny for all of 'em together." Eugene responds to MacRegan.

He then helps MacRegan to check and secure the prisoners. After that he will tend to his horse and get his shoulder looked after. Then he'll prepare to ride out again.
 

Supervisor194

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2017
Messages
213
Reaction score
280
Corbin smiles at Quinn.

"Not at all friend. Actually haven't spoken to you much despite how we've ended up together on this little trip. You from Saguaro?
"No, I'm from back east. Georgia. Left there pert near ten years ago. Only spent the last two years in Saguaro but I reckon I ain't ready to hang my hat anywhere just yet."
 

Shemek hiTankolel

Tsolyani Refugee
Joined
Jun 23, 2018
Messages
465
Reaction score
478
OOC: MacRegan will check Eugene's wound, and make sure it has stopped bleeding, and the dressing is in place.

"Eugene, let me take a look at your shoulder. When we get to the Big J, I'll ask Wayne to send for a sawbone. "
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,786
Reaction score
16,599
"How did you meet up with McCoy and Jones anyway? There's no reason to hold out. I'll have them one way or another, and if you help me it will only go good for you."
"How's anybody meet up with anybody? Them boys was in a saloon over t' Santa Fe 'n buyin' drinks for everybody 'n his brother. Said they was flush 'n goin' into the horse business 'n hirin' hands."
OOC: MacRegan will finish watering his horse, and the two that Chet and Ollie are on. He will make sure that they are still securely and tightly bound. Also, just to make sure, I'm assuming that all of their personal possessions have been removed and accounted for? They have been checked/frisked as well? If not, I will do so now, hopefully with Eugene's help. I don't want an over looked knife in the boot, or pocket knife in a back pocket to be used by them to cut their bonds. BTW, how did we end up securing them to the horses? Are they slung over the saddles, or seated backwards?
Cisco and one of the others frisked them and took away their weapons earlier. My understanding is they were tied up and mounted front-facing on their horses. You're free to handcuff them and turn them around if you so desire.
OOC: MacRegan will check Eugene's wound, and make sure it has stopped bleeding, and the dressing is in place.

"Eugene, let me take a look at your shoulder. When we get to the Big J, I'll ask Wayne to send for a sawbone. "
Kentucky Kefauver watches you examine Eugene's shoulder, which is painful when touched but otherwise only a flesh wound. Eugene has lost some blood, weakening him, but fortunately the bullet didn't pass through but instead is lodged in the flesh or muscle. He needs someone to remove it relatively soon.

"Too bad that reward's way over in New Mexico Territory," observes Kentucky. "'Course, a man might ride pretty far for a thousand dollars. You know you should be ridin' east, not west?"

How long are you stopping at the line camp?
 
Last edited:

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
1,447
Reaction score
1,842
"Not ready to settle down?" Corbin says to Quinn "Not surprised, can't imagine a man in the mind for settling out here doing a job like this"

He glances over his shoulder to watch their rear, then turns back to Quinn

"So is it just the exciting life that has you wandering? If I'm not prying of course"
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,786
Reaction score
16,599
suggest we ride out the way we came in,' Cisco replies, 'and rejoin our compadres post haste.'

Cisco offers to lead the four horses carrying the deceased, suggests two riders trail to act as a rear guard. As they ride, the attorney's eyes use the daylight to search the walls of the canyon for a way to the top of the cliff from the canyon floor - a cleft, a chimney, and natural ramp or staircase. He also looks for signs left on the rocks recorded by previous passers-by.
Corbin saddles up and gets into position as a rear guard.
Quinn also saddles up and heads back to the rear with Corbin. "Mind if I keep you company?"
Corbin smiles at Quinn.

"Not at all friend. Actually haven't spoken to you much despite how we've ended up together on this little trip. You from Saguaro?
Tybalt will ride in middle on the ride side of the party.
I'm assuming Juan and Lars are coming along with the rest of you. If @Baeraad or AsenRG decide otherwise, we can accommodate that later.

As you ride, Cisco doesn't notice any obvious points of egress or ingress. The cañón walls are fairly sheer. Occasionally there are stubborn trees growing out of the rocks, almost perpendicular to the walls until they bend upright; it's possible that something could be hidden behind some foliage but it would take a Pima or a bighorn sheep to get up there to check more closely.

The ride is uneventful although the wind is high and gusty as the day moves along and the sun rises in the sky. Heading back up the friable upward slope at the gap into the cañón is time-consuming but nowhere near as difficult by daylight. Once you've made your way past the prickly pear and alligator juniper that hid the entrance to the cañón, it's an easy ride though the day is hot under the blazing summer sun. You notice a volt of turkey vultures circling high above you, attracted by the carrion you're transporting.
Turkey-Vultures.jpg
As the ride is largely downhill from this point, you think you can see the line camp off in the distance, but you can't tell if your erstwhile companions are there. The time is about ten-thirty when the line shack comes into view.

I need to find out how long the others stopped at the line camp before I can determine if they'd still be there when your group arrives.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,786
Reaction score
16,599
"Not ready to settle down?" Corbin says to Quinn "Not surprised, can't imagine a man in the mind for settling out here doing a job like this"

He glances over his shoulder to watch their rear, then turns back to Quinn

"So is it just the exciting life that has you wandering? If I'm not prying of course"
You don't see anyone riding on your back trail.
 

Shemek hiTankolel

Tsolyani Refugee
Joined
Jun 23, 2018
Messages
465
Reaction score
478
"How's anybody meet up with anybody? Them boys was in a saloon over t' Santa Fe 'n buyin' drinks for everybody 'n his brother. Said they was flush 'n goin' into the horse business 'n hirin' hands."

Cisco and one of the others frisked them and took away their weapons earlier. My understanding is they were tied up and mounted front-facing on their horses. You're free to handcuff them and turn them around if you so desire.

Kentucky Kefauver watches you examine Eugene's shoulder, which is painful when touched but otherwise only a flesh wound. Eugene has lost some blood, weakening him, but fortunately the bullet didn't pass through but instead is lodged in the flesh or muscle. He needs someone to remove it relatively soon.

"Too bad that reward's way over in New Mexico Territory," observes Kentucky. "'Course, a man might ride pretty far for a thousand dollars. You know you should be ridin' east, not west?"

How long are you stopping at the line camp?
OOC: So long as they are tied up, and have been frisked. I don't think that handcuffs are needed. I was planning on stopping long enough to water the horses, check Eugene's wound, and maybe a quick "jaw" with Redford. I want to get back to the Big J ASAP. Maybe an hour?

MacRegan looks at Eugene's wound and says "There you go. It aint mortified yet, so that's a good sign. Still, better not linger here too long. I want a doctor to take that slug out sooner rather than later. I don't think that you'd cotton much to me picking and prying at it."
He turns to Kentucky, and in response to his question
"I wasn't planning on going to New Mexico, at least not at this time. Everything quiet around here Kentucky? Do you need anything from the Big J?"
 

Black Vulmea

No. Appearing: 30-500
Joined
Apr 27, 2017
Messages
412
Reaction score
958
As the ride is largely downhill from this point, you think you can see the line camp off in the distance, but you can't tell if your erstwhile companions are there. The time is about ten-thirty when the line shack comes into view.
Cisco's quiet as he leads the string of dead men on their ponies, choosing not to distract himself or the other hands from the task at hand. He spares a glance at the circling vultures, murmurs, 'Not today,' and resumes scanning the terrain for hazards.
 

Gringnr

Chief of the Boat Feels
Joined
Jan 9, 2019
Messages
790
Reaction score
794
OOC: MacRegan will check Eugene's wound, and make sure it has stopped bleeding, and the dressing is in place.

"Eugene, let me take a look at your shoulder. When we get to the Big J, I'll ask Wayne to send for a sawbone. "
"Much obliged", Eugene says, opening his shirt...
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
1,447
Reaction score
1,842
Corbin rides on following Cisco, keeping a constant eye out behind him
 

Supervisor194

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2017
Messages
213
Reaction score
280
"Not ready to settle down?" Corbin says to Quinn "Not surprised, can't imagine a man in the mind for settling out here doing a job like this"

He glances over his shoulder to watch their rear, then turns back to Quinn

"So is it just the exciting life that has you wandering? If I'm not prying of course"
"Was looking for my brother for about ten years. Decided that was long enough. Now I just figure it's best to keep movin'. Help other folks who need it." Quinn continues to look for signs of activity.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
3,292
Reaction score
2,815
Juan has taken to the center right of the column, and is riding with a hand close to La Habladora, the other constantly on the reins. He's listening with half an ear to Quinn's story, and scanning their surroundings for signs of activity.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,786
Reaction score
16,599
OOC: So long as they are tied up, and have been frisked. I don't think that handcuffs are needed. I was planning on stopping long enough to water the horses, check Eugene's wound, and maybe a quick "jaw" with Redford. I want to get back to the Big J ASAP. Maybe an hour?

MacRegan looks at Eugene's wound and says "There you go. It aint mortified yet, so that's a good sign. Still, better not linger here too long. I want a doctor to take that slug out sooner rather than later. I don't think that you'd cotton much to me picking and prying at it."
"Much obliged", Eugene says, opening his shirt...
He turns to Kentucky, and in response to his question

"I wasn't planning on going to New Mexico, at least not at this time. Everything quiet around here Kentucky? Do you need anything from the Big J?"
"Naw, but if you're seeking Redford he's most likely down at the southern end with some boys makin' sure no Kerrigan riders get the urge to brand no J-Bar calves with a Lazy K. Some o' them Lazy K rannies got more sand than sense."

While you're talking, you see off to the east an approaching cavalcade: it looks to be your erstwhile companions leading the liberated horses back, with the dead rustlers slumped across their saddles. They're about fifteen minutes out at their current gait.
Cisco's quiet as he leads the string of dead men on their ponies, choosing not to distract himself or the other hands from the task at hand. He spares a glance at the circling vultures, murmurs, 'Not today,' and resumes scanning the terrain for hazards.
Corbin rides on following Cisco, keeping a constant eye out behind him.
"Was looking for my brother for about ten years. Decided that was long enough. Now I just figure it's best to keep movin'. Help other folks who need it." Quinn continues to look for signs of activity.
Juan has taken to the center right of the column, and is riding with a hand close to La Habladora, the other constantly on the reins. He's listening with half an ear to Quinn's story, and scanning their surroundings for signs of activity.
There are no signs of any pursuit. All you see are scattered cattle grazing here and there, and once in a while a cowboy riding a horse bearing the J-Bar brand. As you near the Big J line camp, you recognize MacRegan and Eugene's horses outside, as well as the bound prisoners. It looks like they've stopped for a while before continuing on to the Big J Ranch. If they stay put, you'll be upon them in about fifteen minutes.
 

Black Vulmea

No. Appearing: 30-500
Joined
Apr 27, 2017
Messages
412
Reaction score
958
'Inspector.' Cisco touches his brim, then swings out of the saddle and stretches his legs. 'Juan and Corbin scouted to the end of the canyon with no sign of the remainder of the rustlers, but it appears likely they are moving south on the far side of the sierra.' He cranes his neck toward the bodies. 'I elected to bring these wretches along for proper identification and Christian burial, rather than leaving them to nature like heathens, even thought it may be their disposition. How's that wound, Eugene? Have you learned anything in our absence?'
 
Top