Boot Hill: Pima County

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,775
Reaction score
16,589
Eugene takes a seat near the man, and looks about for any whisky, readying himself to tell the tale of the previous night's events...
There's no whiskey but you have the choice or Arbuckle's or moonshine.
 

Gringnr

Chief of the Boat Feels
Joined
Jan 9, 2019
Messages
786
Reaction score
791
"A mite early," says Redford, "but seeing as you don't work here what the hell do I care?" He hands you a tin cup and fills it to the brim.
"Much obliged." Eugene takes the cup and recounts the events of the previous night, periodically pausing to take a swallow of moonshine. He embellishes just enough to keep the story interesting, but not enough that it will give an inaccurate impression of events...
 
Last edited:

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,775
Reaction score
16,589
"Much obliged." Eugene takes the cup and recounts the events of the previous night, periodically pausing to take a swallow of moonshine. He embellishes just enough to keep the story interesting, but not enough that it will give an inaccurate impression of events...
"Sounds like quite a hoedown," says Redford.

"Wish I'd been there," remarks Bart.

"You're fixin' to die young, kid," Lorne says to Bart.

"I'd of gone if th' money was right," Lucky Joe says pensively.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
1,445
Reaction score
1,842
Corbin rides up next to Lorne after the story. No harm trying to get to know one of the nicer people he's met in his time here.

"I gathered earlier that like most of us you aren't native to this place. Came out here from Louisiana myself after tiring of the circus life, what about yourself Sir?" he says aware of his own clumsy attempt to get to know Lorne.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,775
Reaction score
16,589
Corbin rides up next to Lorne after the story. No harm trying to get to know one of the nicer people he's met in his time here.

"I gathered earlier that like most of us you aren't native to this place. Came out here from Louisiana myself after tiring of the circus life, what about yourself Sir?" he says aware of his own clumsy attempt to get to know Lorne.
Corbin is on the road to Saguaro and Lorne is back at the ranch...I assume he's shouting then?
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
1,445
Reaction score
1,842
OOC: Fuck no idea how many bloody wires I got crossed there! Somehow I read Eugene as being with us and then thought "Oh the whole gang must have followed us" :goof: x20

Corbin rides alongside Álvaro making idle chit chat about the area, but nervously waiting for their arrival into Saguaro.
 

Gringnr

Chief of the Boat Feels
Joined
Jan 9, 2019
Messages
786
Reaction score
791
"Sounds like quite a hoedown," says Redford.

"Wish I'd been there," remarks Bart.

"You're fixin' to die young, kid," Lorne says to Bart.

"I'd of gone if th' money was right," Lucky Joe says pensively.
"Say, any o' you gentlemen know where the rest of the posse are? If'n they rode out already, I've a mind to catch up with 'em..."
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,775
Reaction score
16,589
"Say, any o' you gentlemen know where the rest of the posse are? If'n they rode out already, I've a mind to catch up with 'em..."
Lorne replies, "Seems to me the one-looper was making plans with the lawman over to the barn, and then the Frenchman and the Swede went out to join them. I reckon Hernández'd know if they're still about if you mosey over to the barn and ask. They owe you money or something?"
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
3,288
Reaction score
2,814
Lorne replies, "Seems to me the one-looper was making plans with the lawman over to the barn, and then the Frenchman and the Swede went out to join them. I reckon Hernández'd know if they're still about if you mosey over to the barn and ask. They owe you money or something?"
"Maybe", Juan shrugs. "There might be a bounty on the men we shot."
 

Gringnr

Chief of the Boat Feels
Joined
Jan 9, 2019
Messages
786
Reaction score
791
Lorne replies, "Seems to me the one-looper was making plans with the lawman over to the barn, and then the Frenchman and the Swede went out to join them. I reckon Hernández'd know if they're still about if you mosey over to the barn and ask. They owe you money or something?"
"no, friend", Eugene chuckles, before finishing the moonshine to ease his throbbing shoulder. "We're rding together , is all."
"Maybe", Juan shrugs. "There might be a bounty on the men we shot."
Eugene pantomimes Vaudevillian thoughtfulness at this. "You make a fine point", he says. "I'm headin' to the barn to find out. Thanks for the drink." He then takes his leave, in search of the rest of his party.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
3,288
Reaction score
2,814
"no, friend", Eugene chuckles, before finishing the moonshine to ease his throbbing shoulder. "We're rding together , is all."


Eugene pantomimes Vaudevillian thoughtfulness at this. "You make a fine point", he says. "I'm headin' to the barn to find out. Thanks for the drink." He then takes his leave, in search of the rest of his party.
Juan nodds, and follows him to the barn as well.
"I'd better come with you, then".
He's not in a talkative mood in mornings.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,775
Reaction score
16,589
In the barn, Eugene and Juan find Hernández coiling a bullwhip and replacing it on a nail in the wall. Seeing you, he points at large piles of horse manure on the floor and states, "Your friends are very rude: they take their horses and leave this for me to clean!"

I don't know if @Supervisor194 and @Black Vulmea are still with us; if they come back they can decide whether they're with you for this or if they're still in the mess hall or what.
 

Gringnr

Chief of the Boat Feels
Joined
Jan 9, 2019
Messages
786
Reaction score
791
In the barn, Eugene and Juan find Hernández coiling a bullwhip and replacing it on a nail in the wall. Seeing you, he points at large piles of horse manure on the floor and states, "Your friends are very rude: they take their horses and leave this for me to clean!"

I don't know if @Supervisor194 and @Black Vulmea are still with us; if they come back they can decide whether they're with you for this or if they're still in the mess hall or what.
"Please accept my apologies for this behavior. I can only assume that they had good reason to leave in such a hurry." Eugene reaches into his pocket and pulls out several coins, without checking their value. He offers then to Hernandez. "I'm sorry to ask, but can you please bring me my horse?" I'll help you clean this up, and then I'll ride after my friends."
 

Supervisor194

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2017
Messages
212
Reaction score
280
In the barn, Eugene and Juan find Hernández coiling a bullwhip and replacing it on a nail in the wall. Seeing you, he points at large piles of horse manure on the floor and states, "Your friends are very rude: they take their horses and leave this for me to clean!"

I don't know if @Supervisor194 and @Black Vulmea are still with us; if they come back they can decide whether they're with you for this or if they're still in the mess hall or what.
OOC: Since I'm most likely going to be out of touch through July, Quinn is heading up to Tuscon alone for now.
Quinn is currently packing his horse and readying for a long day's ride to Tuscon up north.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
3,288
Reaction score
2,814
"Please accept my apologies for this behavior. I can only assume that they had good reason to leave in such a hurry." Eugene reaches into his pocket and pulls out several coins, without checking their value. He offers then to Hernandez. "I'm sorry to ask, but can you please bring me my horse?" I'll help you clean this up, and then I'll ride after my friends."
"I'll even break my rule about manure-digging before I've had my morning coffee, and help you as well", Juan adds.
 

Gringnr

Chief of the Boat Feels
Joined
Jan 9, 2019
Messages
786
Reaction score
791
"Gracias, amigo." Eugene says. "I womder why they let out like that, and what for. It ain't like Crenshaw to leave me in the dark this way. I'm a mite concerned." He looks around for shovels or any other barn-floor-cleaning implements he can find...
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,775
Reaction score
16,589
Juan and Eugene find shovels and begin the arduous task of scooping manure into buckets that Hernández will later carry out to be used as fertilizer. The job takes about fifteen minutes, and when you're done you stink to the high heavens. Hernández offers you a block of white Castile soap, a couple of well-worn towels, and gestures to a trough behind the barn. "My people bathe afterwards; I assume your custom is similar," he says witha mischievous glint in his eye that leads you to believe he already knows the answer.

I'll assume you clean up unless otherwise stated. Juan and Eugene are about 45 minutes behind the others in terms of travel time to Saguaro. Unless anyone has anything in particular they want to say or do first, I'll update the thread with Lars, Corbin, MacRegan, and Tybalt's arrival in town in a little while, and then Juan and Eugene.
 

Gringnr

Chief of the Boat Feels
Joined
Jan 9, 2019
Messages
786
Reaction score
791
Eugene washes in the trough. Not as well as he'd like, but well enough to ride. He figures he won't smell very fresh when he's been in the trail all day.

"I'm not sure why the others left us, Juan, but I don't think it has anything to do with bounty money", he says, checking his saddle and patting old Lincoln on the neck. "You ready to ride?"
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,775
Reaction score
16,589
As you approach the outskirts of Saguaro, you find additional makeshift tents and huts have been set up under the limited shade provided by trees on the north side of town. The general appearance and demeanor of the new arrivals leads you to think they're mainly prospectors, likely seeking their fortune in silver in the Santa Ritas.

Entering town itself, you hear the sound of hammering and sawing and see a handpainted sign reading "BARBER" is propped up against the side of the building currently under construction on the north side of town just before you come to the Wells Fargo station. A small crowd idly watches the men as they work.

It's about 3 p.m. The summer sun won't set for another 4 1/2 hours and the town is busy with people going about their business.

Let me know if you're going anywhere in particular.
20190306_114143.jpg
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
3,288
Reaction score
2,814
Eugene washes in the trough. Not as well as he'd like, but well enough to ride. He figures he won't smell very fresh when he's been in the trail all day.

"I'm not sure why the others left us, Juan, but I don't think it has anything to do with bounty money", he says, checking his saddle and patting old Lincoln on the neck. "You ready to ride?"
Juan washes up as well and as quickly as he can.
"I don't think so, either", he answers. "But I had no better answer. And there's no reason to let people think about all kind of reasons, and possibly gossip about us, right?"
 

Gringnr

Chief of the Boat Feels
Joined
Jan 9, 2019
Messages
786
Reaction score
791
Juan washes up as well and as quickly as he can.
"I don't think so, either", he answers. "But I had no better answer. And there's no reason to let people think about all kind of reasons, and possibly gossip about us, right?"
"I reckon you're right. Shall we ride, amigo?"
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
1,445
Reaction score
1,842
Assuming no changes in their plan, Corbin heads onward to the Sheriff's office.

As they saunter in he turns to MacRegan.

"You dealt with lawmen gone bad before? I can imagine the thought rankles at you, a corruption of your profession and all"
 

FeralToaster

Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2019
Messages
475
Reaction score
480
[spoiler: Tybalt, Corbin, Lars and MacRegan]
Also assuming nothing went awry Tybalt has to visit however is babysitting his cattle. He has a Five dollar bill to cover both past pay and for the next week or so. If they want more he'll offer one of the guns that he picked up from the rustlers instead of money.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,775
Reaction score
16,589
[spoiler: Tybalt, Corbin, Lars and MacRegan]
Also assuming nothing went awry Tybalt has to visit however is babysitting his cattle. He has a Five dollar bill to cover both past pay and for the next week or so. If they want more he'll offer one of the guns that he picked up from the rustlers instead of money.
Is anyone accompanying Tybalt? If so, it'll be a good way to let Juan and Eugene catch up to you in town, but it's up to you.

Tybalt hangs a right when you reach town, heading for the outlying humble farmstead of Ramón and Estefanía Obrador, who graciously accept the generous payment of five dollars for the minimal work required of them.
Ramón and Estefanía .jpg
They shower Tybalt in mellifluous compliments and comparisons to saints. They invite you (as well as your friends, if they came along) to stay for dinner. You smell a pungent aroma wafting from the kitchen: beans stewed with lard, olives, chile peppers, chorizo, and queso.

"It is only frijoles puercos," says Ramón, "but we did not know you were coming, señor."

You hear Estefanía call from the kitchen, "Tell him about the man!"

"Oh yes," Ramón says, "there was a man here asking about you this morning. He wanted to know where I obtained your cattle. I didn't tell him nothing, señor."
 

Baeraad

Delicate Snowflake
Joined
Oct 4, 2017
Messages
644
Reaction score
1,026
Lars joins Tybalt as he goes to visit the Obradors. As he feels the appetising smells from the kitchen, he gets up and ambles out there.

"Say, ma'am," he says meekly, "I've been meaning to get the hang of this cooking business. Could you maybe give me some pointers or such?"
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,775
Reaction score
16,589
Lars joins Tybalt as he goes to visit the Obradors. As he feels the appetising smells from the kitchen, he gets up and ambles out there.

"Say, ma'am," he says meekly, "I've been meaning to get the hang of this cooking business. Could you maybe give me some pointers or such?"
Señora Obrador takes Lars into the kitchen, hands him a spoon, points at a simmering saucepot, and says, "You! Stir until I tell you to stop!" The different kitchen aromas vying for your attention make your mouth water. You might yet acquire a taste for la comida Mexicana.
 

Gringnr

Chief of the Boat Feels
Joined
Jan 9, 2019
Messages
786
Reaction score
791
ooc Eugene, and, I am assuming, Juan, are saddling up and heading out, in an attempt to catch up to the posse.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,775
Reaction score
16,589
ooc Eugene, and, I am assuming, Juan, are saddling up and heading out, in an attempt to catch up to the posse.
The way I read it:

MacRegan and Corbin are about to enter the marshal's office with the Randazzo brothers in tow.

Tybalt and Lars are at the Obrador farmstead.

Eugene and Juan will arrive in town in about 20 minutes (game-time). They can easily locate their compadres by asking around; plenty of people saw where each duo went and people in the West will identify the brand on a horse at least as easily as they'll recognize a name or face. Since you'll be arriving right about now, @AsenRG and @Gringnr should both feel free to post what Juan and Eugene are doing, as the dice said your ride from the ranch was uneventful, though dusty.


When MagRegan and Corbin enter the open door of the town marshal's office, bringing their prisoners along, the first thing they notice is the charwoman Rosario on her hands and knees scrubbing the floor with a sponge and a bucket of soapy water. The second thing they notice is that a cot has been brought into the office and upon it lies Marshal Bud Clary, his arm in a sling and a red spot showing through his shirt at the shoulder. He has a Smith & Wesson .44 within easy reach on a wooden stool. Looking up, Marshal Clary says, "I see you caught your men, Inspector MacRegan. You're one up on me then. All I caught was some flying lead when those Blue Bandana boys robbed the bank this morning. Luckily Doc Haney's pretty much over his injuries and that Mormon woman Sommer wouldn't let him have any alcohol, so his hands were steady for the first time in years when he plucked out the bullet and fixed me up. What can I do for you?" He gestures to the empty chair in front of his office desk. There's a second empty chair where the marshal would ordinarily be seated on the other side of the desk. A .50 caliber Remington buffalo gun lies across the desktop.
 

FeralToaster

Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2019
Messages
475
Reaction score
480
ooc: Tybalt is comfortable to sit and have a leisurely conversation with the Obradors if anyone wants to catch up.

IC: Tybalt graciously accepts a serving of frijoles puercos and sits down for a conversation with the nice couple. " A man you say? asking about my cattle? please tell me more." Tybalt asks the Obradors.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,775
Reaction score
16,589
ooc: Tybalt is comfortable to sit and have a leisurely conversation with the Obradors if anyone wants to catch up.

IC: Tybalt graciously accepts a serving of frijoles puercos and sits down for a conversation with the nice couple. " A man you say? asking about my cattle? please tell me more." Tybalt asks the Obradors.
"¡Sí, Señor Crenshaw!" replies Ramón. "I do not like the look of him so I maybe tell him a little white lie and say I buy your cattle and tell him to go away. Did I do wrong? He has the look of a forajido and I do not like to make you trouble. He say to tell you if you come back soon you can find him at La Misión Santísimo Nombre de María."
 
Last edited:

Baeraad

Delicate Snowflake
Joined
Oct 4, 2017
Messages
644
Reaction score
1,026
Señora Obrador takes Lars into the kitchen, hands him a spoon, points at a simmering saucepot, and says, "You! Stir until I tell you to stop!" The different kitchen aromas vying for your attention make your mouth water. You might yet acquire a taste for la comida Mexicana.
Right! Apparently the first step to cooking is stirring. Stirring seems doable. Lars grabs the spoon and gets to work.
 

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
3,288
Reaction score
2,814
Juan lets Eugene do most of the talking. He's still not in a good mood...for some reason.
He will strongly suggest not going near the Mormon-owned eating place, though.
 

Gringnr

Chief of the Boat Feels
Joined
Jan 9, 2019
Messages
786
Reaction score
791
Juan lets Eugene do most of the talking. He's still not in a good mood...for some reason.
He will strongly suggest not going near the Mormon-owned eating place, though.
Eugene, the strangely sullen Juan following, asks around town about the location of the posse. He takes Juan's advice not to enter the Mormon-owned establishment. He is curious as to why, but sees that Juan is in no mood for idle chatter.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
9,775
Reaction score
16,589
Eugene, the strangely sullen Juan following, asks around town about the location of the posse. He takes Juan's advice not to enter the Mormon-owned establishment. He is curious as to why, but sees that Juan is in no mood for idle chatter.
Juan and Eugene are informed that their erstwhile fellows have split up, two of them heading off to the Obrador farm outside of town and the other two heading into the town marshal's office.
 

Gringnr

Chief of the Boat Feels
Joined
Jan 9, 2019
Messages
786
Reaction score
791
Juan and Eugene are informed that their erstwhile fellows have split up, two of them heading off to the Obrador farm outside of town and the other two heading into the town marshal's office.
Eugene will try to find out where Crenshaw has got off to...
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
1,445
Reaction score
1,842
Corbin waits for MacRegan to sit and speak, seeing it as his sphere of expertise. He doesn't sit in the Marshall's seat either so as not to be presumptuous.
 
Top