Boot Hill: Pima County

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
OOC: How do you want to handle this one AsenRG AsenRG ? I'm up for some more "psychological warfare," but also ready to start blasting if needs be.
Quickly. If we don't handle it now, Honcho and Johnny get down, and we become heavily outnumbered.
I'm still considering whether I should have Juan simply shoot the speaker in the face while he's looking at MacRegan. Now, THAT would probably prevent them from getting down to us - no gain, and they got money - but it might also mean they'd jump from a window and we still lose them.
But I'd probably go the other way, and offer him a fistfight to settle it mano-a-mano / hombre-a-perro. As a bonus, this shows guts without either killing or dying...and Honcho and Johnny might even be interested.

Quickly. If we don't handle it now, Honcho and Johnny get down, and we become heavily outnumbered.
I'm still considering whether I should have Juan simply shoot the speaker in the face while he's looking at MacRegan. Now, THAT would probably prevent them from getting down to us - no gain, and they got money - but it might also mean they'd jump from a window and we still lose them.
But I'd probably go the other way, and offer him a fistfight to settle it mano-a-mano / hombre-a-perro. As a bonus, this shows guts without either killing or dying...and Honcho and Johnny might even be interested.
OOC: I think he's a coward at heart. Instead of dealing with MacRegan by himself he has to call the boys from the table to "help him." I was going to call him out and brand him a coward. Embarrass him in front of the gang, and they might even turn on him. Maybe his men won't like having a leader that that doesn't step up? If you and the Marshal are able to occupy the rest of the gang I'll deal with Reid. I don't really want to kill him but I will if I have to. MacRegan primarily wants to question him and the others.

OOC: I think he's a coward at heart. Instead of dealing with MacRegan by himself he has to call the boys from the table to "help him." I was going to call him out and brand him a coward. Embarrass him in front of the gang, and they might even turn on him. Maybe his men won't like having a leader that that doesn't step up? If you and the Marshal are able to occupy the rest of the gang I'll deal with Reid. I don't really want to kill him but I will if I have to. MacRegan primarily wants to question him and the others.
I don't think he's necessarily a coward. More likely, he knows nobody in there likes us, and allows himself to show-off.
So either we escalate quickly and decisively, we challenge him to one-on-one, or we retreat, because he's right about the crowd.

"No, no," Lars says, waving his hands unhappily. "He's not for sale... I mean, I don't own him... I mean, no one owns him..." He glances at Eugene in confusion. "... I think? Also, I don't think he's a negro, only I'm not exactly sure on who is and isn't one, there being such a lot of different kinds of folks in America and sometimes it's hard to keep straight who's what..."

He realises that he's babbling and tries to rally himself.

"Er, anyway, it's not that we're offering protection for money," he says. "We'll try to get rid of those hooligans free of cost, and all. But we thought maybe someone here might know something about them - how many they are and where they might be holed up, that sort of thing. And maybe some of your men folk might even feel like putting on a star for a bit and helping make the territory safer for everyone?"

Eugene chafes inwardly. He knows these are foreigners, but the end of the Civil War isn't exactly news. Then he realizes that for some, the war didn't really change anything. He feels for the obviously embarrassed Lars,and tries to shoot his friend a reassuring look.

"No, no," Lars says, waving his hands unhappily. "He's not for sale... I mean, I don't own him... I mean, no one owns him..." He glances at Eugene in confusion. "... I think? Also, I don't think he's a negro, only I'm not exactly sure on who is and isn't one, there being such a lot of different kinds of folks in America and sometimes it's hard to keep straight who's what..."

He realises that he's babbling and tries to rally himself.

"Er, anyway, it's not that we're offering protection for money," he says. "We'll try to get rid of those hooligans free of cost, and all. But we thought maybe someone here might know something about them - how many they are and where they might be holed up, that sort of thing. And maybe some of your men folk might even feel like putting on a star for a bit and helping make the territory safer for everyone?"
Eugene chafes inwardly. He knows these are foreigners, but the end of the Civil War isn't exactly news. Then he realizes that for some, the war didn't really change anything. He feels for the obviously embarrassed Lars,and tries to shoot his friend a reassuring look.
"Eh, times have changed," Kurt Andersson says. Pointing first at Eugene and then at Lars he says, "Maybe now it's your turn to sell him, eh? I warn you, he looks lazy so I'll not pay top dollar." He bursts into laughter again. When he regains his breath, he adds, "So. This is serious business. You hunt bandit hooligans, just the two of you? Which of you is the empty-headed boss who decided to do this for free? That's bad business. You should be paid by the ranchers for such a service." He tugs on his mustache a while and remarks, "They took a few head from me and pistol-whipped one of my men. How much to bring me a few bandit hooligan scalps?"

Reid is about 6' in his bare feet. Add another inch or so for his boot heels. You get the impression that if anyone here has heard of MacRegan, they would have a negative attitude toward lawmen in general. You also get the impression they could easily have information on the Randazzo brothers and the Blue Bandana Gang, but wouldn't reveal it unless under duress.

"That ain't no joke, Inspector," he replies while signaling to the men at the table. "You just refused our hospitality. We take that as an insult around here." Two of the men stand up from the table with their hands dangling near the butts of their pistols, ready to draw. "I recommend y'all take those badges somewhere where they mean something. Your rudeness is upsetting the ladies. As for your friends...." He spits at Juan's and Marshal Clary's boots and laughs. The other men in the room grin in anticipation.

The two Mexican girls who were coming down the stairs turn to hurriedly go back whence they came. Juan thinks he sees the shadows of two men showing from around the corner up the stairwell: maybe the right sizes for Buckskin Johnny and Honcho de la Vega.
"Three against one? Where I come from we don't have others do our fighting for us. I have no issue with those two - I'm talking to you alone. Why do they need to be part of this? I had you pegged the moment I laid eyes on you Reid. A bushwhacker and a craven. Tough when he has guns to hide behind, and a sissy when no one's around to protect him. We'll leave, the air stinks in here anyway."
MacRegan addresses the room prior to departing. "You fellows ought to get yourselves another boss. This one aint got any grit, and will sell you out as sure as not. If any of you want honest work come and see me at the Marshal's office.
Well, do you plan on shooting me in the back Reid, or should I walk out of out of here normally?"
OOC: What has the Marshal been doing during this interaction? Does he have his rifle pointed at anyone? Is he close to MacRegan?

Is Juan in a defensive position where he's able to cover the whole room?

Is there any type of role to be made to see if Reid backs down, or if the others in the room "turn on", or abandon him?

MacRegan will not make any sudden moves, but is alert. He will shoot Reid if he tries to draw on him, pulls a knife, or makes any threatening moves that will endanger his life.

"Three against one? Where I come from we don't have others do our fighting for us. I have no issue with those two - I'm talking to you alone. Why do they need to be part of this? I had you pegged the moment I laid eyes on you Reid. A bushwhacker and a craven. Tough when he has guns to hide behind, and a sissy when no one's around to protect him. We'll leave, the air stinks in here anyway."
MacRegan addresses the room prior to departing. "You fellows ought to get yourselves another boss. This one aint got any grit, and will sell you out as sure as not. If any of you want honest work come and see me at the Marshal's office.
Well, do you plan on shooting me in the back Reid, or should I walk out of out of here normally?"
Reid looks around nervously as the other men grumble by the table. Flop sweat collects on his brow and he finally says, "Now, look, uh, everybody knows I'm just foolin' around...I don't want no trouble...can't you take a joke?" He shrugs elaborately, unconvincingly to you, clearly for the benefit of his cronies to try to save face. "Let me get you boys some whiskey from my own private stock. Hold up now on that kind of talk, this is a friendly establishment. Some folks got no sense of humor. What was it you wanted to know?"

The air seems to rush back into the room as Reid walks over to a cabinet to retrieve a bottle of whiskey. The men at the table resume their card game.
OOC: What has the Marshal been doing during this interaction? Does he have his rifle pointed at anyone? Is he close to MacRegan?

Is Juan in a defensive position where he's able to cover the whole room?

Is there any type of role to be made to see if Reid backs down, or if the others in the room "turn on", or abandon him?

MacRegan will not make any sudden moves, but is alert. He will shoot Reid if he tries to draw on him, pulls a knife, or makes any threatening moves that will endanger his life.
In order: The marshal has been watching you closely to see how you handle the situation. It's unclear whether he was planning to back your play or intervene if he disapproved of your decision.

Juan, to my knowledge, was keeping an eye on the stairs and making sure nobody got the drop on you. I can upload a diagram if you need one to better picture the set-up.

Not per the rulebook, but maybe there was a roll made. :dice: Or maybe it all depended on how you two played it. More likely a combination of both with your actions modifying the roll. Who can say for sure? :wink:

Could be he's heard about your penchant for head-shots.

Last edited:
"Eh, times have changed," Kurt Andersson says. Pointing first at Eugene and then at Lars he says, "Maybe now it's your turn to sell him, eh? I warn you, he looks lazy so I'll not pay top dollar." He bursts into laughter again. When he regains his breath, he adds, "So. This is serious business. You hunt bandit hooligans, just the two of you? Which of you is the empty-headed boss who decided to do this for free? That's bad business. You should be paid by the ranchers for such a service." He tugs on his mustache a while and remarks, "They took a few head from me and pistol-whipped one of my men. How much to bring me a few bandit hooligan scalps?"

Lars considers arguing against that description, but to be honest, it's fairly dead on.

"Nah, not just the two of us," he says. "There's a whole posse out, under a lawman named MacRegan. These men who robbed you, did anyone get a good look at'em? Or saw which direction they rode off in, and such?"

He squirms a bit at the last question.

"And, er, I dunno that scalping is legal in this territory..." he says lamely. "Though I suppose I could ask..."

Juan follows MacRegan out.
Only once they're out, would he nod at the man.
"Good call, Northern gringo! I was going to shoot him if he tried to draw, but...Johnny and the Indian were upstairs, you know? They might have ran away while we were busy. It's best if we could take them here, where nobody would rush to help them. But if they heard the commotion, and the chicas would tell'em, they ain't going out through the door."
He looks around for suitable places the two lawbreakers might use.

Corbin almost gulps after hearing Tybalt's suggestion, but after thinking it over he nods.

"Alright, let's do it" he says feeling weak in the knees.

"Good man" Tybalts says to Corbin. Turning to the rifle carrying brothers and says "you stay here behind the wall and keep taking potshots at their shooter that'll keep their attention off me and Corbin hugging the ground and hopefully we can come up the side and blindside'em".

ooc: just clarifying movement for everybody, Tybalt and Corbin will climb up the asending part on the right of the wall and low crawl towards the shooter. best case we get to the rocks and get a shot on them more likely we get are revolvers close enough to fire back.

Reid looks around nervously as the other men grumble by the table. Flop sweat collects on his brow and he finally says, "Now, look, uh, everybody knows I'm just foolin' around...I don't want no trouble...can't you take a joke?" He shrugs elaborately, unconvincingly to you, clearly for the benefit of his cronies to try to save face. "Let me get you boys some whiskey from my own private stock. Hold up now on that kind of talk, this is a friendly establishment. Some folks got no sense of humor. What was it you wanted to know?"

The air seems to rush back into the room as Reid walks over to a cabinet to retrieve a bottle of whiskey. The men at the table resume their card game.

In order: The marshal has been watching you closely to see how you handle the situation. It's unclear whether he was planning to back your play or intervene if he disapproved of your decision.

Juan, to my knowledge, was keeping an eye on the stairs and making sure nobody got the drop on you. I can upload a diagram if you need one to better picture the set-up.

Not per the rulebook, but maybe there was a roll made. :dice: Or maybe it all depended on how you two played it. More likely a combination of both with your actions modifying the roll. Who can say for sure? :wink:

Could be he's heard about your penchant for head-shots.
"Uh huh. I see. On second thought, I don't think I am talking to the right person after all. Good day Reid."
MacRegan takes a pull on his pipe, exhales a large puff of smoke and makes his way out. When he reaches the door he will turn around and announce to room: "Boys, I was serious when I said I could use some men. If anyone is interested in some honest work come and see me at the Marshal's office."
OOC: Cool! :hehe: MacRegan will leave the boarding house, but will be alert for any monkey business, in case Reid or someone else thinks about shooting him in the back. Once outside he will motion to others to move away from the house and when they are out of site of the entrance he will listen to Juan's account.
"Northern what? Any way, let's see what my little show gives us. I'll stay here. Juan you go to the right and see if those two try and sneak out a side door or climb out of a window. Marshal, you take the left and look for the same. Whistle if you see them."
OOC: Could we have a quick sketch of what the immediate are looks like? The boarding house in relation to the Marshal's office. Where we are standing, etc...

Juan follows MacRegan out.
Only once they're out, would he nod at the man.
"Good call, Northern gringo! I was going to shoot him if he tried to draw, but...Johnny and the Indian were upstairs, you know? They might have ran away while we were busy. It's best if we could take them here, where nobody would rush to help them. But if they heard the commotion, and the chicas would tell'em, they ain't going out through the door."
He looks around for suitable places the two lawbreakers might use.
"Uh huh. I see. On second thought, I don't think I am talking to the right person after all. Good day Reid."
MacRegan takes a pull on his pipe, exhales a large puff of smoke and makes his way out. When he reaches the door he will turn around and announce to room: "Boys, I was serious when I said I could use some men. If anyone is interested in some honest work come and see me at the Marshal's office."
OOC: Cool! :hehe: MacRegan will leave the boarding house, but will be alert for any monkey business, in case Reid or someone else thinks about shooting him in the back. Once outside he will motion to others to move away from the house and when they are out of site of the entrance he will listen to Juan's account.
"Northern what? Any way, let's see what my little show gives us. I'll stay here. Juan you go to the right and see if those two try and sneak out a side door or climb out of a window. Marshal, you take the left and look for the same. Whistle if you see them."
OOC: Could we have a quick sketch of what the immediate are looks like? The boarding house in relation to the Marshal's office. Where we are standing, etc...
"You want me to go around the back of the building?" asks Marshal Clary. "There's a corral 'round there. If they got horses, they could be there."

If you just went out the way you came in, you would be standing on the boardwalk along Arizona Street. Is Juan going around the right to the north side of the boarding house? There is a door there as well as at the rear.
boarding house.jpg

SAGUARO.jpg

Lars considers arguing against that description, but to be honest, it's fairly dead on.

"Nah, not just the two of us," he says. "There's a whole posse out, under a lawman named MacRegan. These men who robbed you, did anyone get a good look at'em? Or saw which direction they rode off in, and such?"

He squirms a bit at the last question.

"And, er, I dunno that scalping is legal in this territory..." he says lamely. "Though I suppose I could ask..."
"They wear blue bandanas," says Kurt, "so I can't identify them. All I can tell you is they come out of the south and ride off to the east. I think maybe they hide out in the mountains." He hooks a thumb in the direction of the Santa Rita Mountains and suggests, "You might look for them over that way. They rode off into those foothills yesterday."

Corbin almost gulps after hearing Tybalt's suggestion, but after thinking it over he nods.

"Alright, let's do it" he says feeling weak in the knees.
"Good man" Tybalts says to Corbin. Turning to the rifle carrying brothers and says "you stay here behind the wall and keep taking potshots at their shooter that'll keep their attention off me and Corbin hugging the ground and hopefully we can come up the side and blindside'em".

ooc: just clarifying movement for everybody, Tybalt and Corbin will climb up the asending part on the right of the wall and low crawl towards the shooter. best case we get to the rocks and get a shot on them more likely we get are revolvers close enough to fire back.
A couple more shots hit the edge of the arroyo and spit sand on Aaron and Abel, but otherwise do no harm. The flash from the rifle seems to indicate your would-be assassin has moved toward the left side of the boulders, near a large thicket of tall saguaro cacti and lower-standing golden hedgehog and jumping cholla. Given that the shooter seems to still be aiming at where Corbin and Tybalt were, rather than where they are now, you have reason to believe he doesn't know you've crawled out of the arroyo. The cloud cover is still good enough that it is fairly dark with only a faint glow of moonlight shining through.
arroyocrawl.jpg

"You want me to go around the back of the building?" asks Marshal Clary. "There's a corral 'round there. If they got horses, they could be there."

If you just went out the way you came in, you would be standing on the boardwalk along Arizona Street. Is Juan going around the right to the north side of the boarding house? There is a door there as well as at the rear.

View attachment 12225
OOC: That is exactly it. MacRegan will saunter over by the Yellow Rose so that he can keep an eye on the upper level windows (N and E side of the building) and the front door.
"That sounds good Marshal. We don't want them high tailing it out of town too quickly. Juan make sure they don't burst out on you and the Marshal from that side door. Any sign of trouble call out so that I can come over. Keep your eyes peeled lads!"

Corbin nods to Tybalt and points in the direction of the cactus dead ahead, to the right of where they suppose the shooter to be.

He crawls toward it prone until the next gunshot.

Tybalt nods in agreement with Corbin and slowly crawls forward towards the cactus.

"They wear blue bandanas," says Kurt, "so I can't identify them. All I can tell you is they come out of the south and ride off to the east. I think maybe they hide out in the mountains." He hooks a thumb in the direction of the Santa Rita Mountains and suggests, "You might look for them over that way. They rode off into those foothills yesterday."

Lars nods.

"Well, that's something at least," he says. "Would you have any objections to us asking your boys for volunteers?"

Juan nods.
"They won't pass by that door", he says curtly before going to the place McRegan indicated.

OOC: That is exactly it. MacRegan will saunter over by the Yellow Rose so that he can keep an eye on the upper level windows (N and E side of the building) and the front door.

"That sounds good Marshal. We don't want them high tailing it out of town too quickly. Juan make sure they don't burst out on you and the Marshal from that side door. Any sign of trouble call out so that I can come over. Keep your eyes peeled lads!"
Juan nods.

"They won't pass by that door", he says curtly before going to the place McRegan indicated.
MacRegan head across the street to the backside of the Yellow Rose Saloon, but sees no activity in the upstairs windows of The Old Sod Boarding House. A couple of men he remembers from the poker table inside exit through the front door.

Marshal Clary ambles south down Arizona Street to go around the cantina and behind the boarding house to check on the corral and rear exit.

Going around the right corner of the boarding house, Juan sees no activity at the side door. There is, however, a drunk half-lying in the dust near the closed door, his hands wrapped around the neck of a bottle of rotgut. His back is propped up against the north wall of the boarding house and his head is slumped forward with his chin rest on his chest. Judging by the wet area around his buttocks and groin, it appears he recently lost control of his bladder.

After about two minutes, you hear two gunshots in rapid succession. They seem to originate from somewhere behind the cantina or the boarding house.

Corbin nods to Tybalt and points in the direction of the cactus dead ahead, to the right of where they suppose the shooter to be.

He crawls toward it prone until the next gunshot.
Tybalt nods in agreement with Corbin and slowly crawls forward towards the cactus.
Crawling forward in the darkness, you hear the loud report of another gunshot from between the rocks and the clump of cacti, then two return shots from Aaron and Abel.

To be clear: are you both crawling to the front of the cacti between the arroyo and the shooter's position, or around the backside of the rocks to get behind the shooter?

Lars nods.

"Well, that's something at least," he says. "Would you have any objections to us asking your boys for volunteers?"
"They're all free men," says Kurt. "You can ask, but I'll be surprised if any of them want to risk their necks chasing after outlaws."

ooc: I cannot stress this enough Tybalt will be Behind the cactus, placing the cactus between him and the shooter. once there tybalt and Corbin should be about 30 feet? away from the shooter giving us realsitic chances of hitting the target. If Corbin wants to push onwards from there Tybalt will follow but thats what my plan is for the next couple of rounds.

"They're all free men," says Kurt. "You can ask, but I'll be surprised if any of them want to risk their necks chasing after outlaws."

"Well, we'd better try anyway, just so we can tell the boss man we did," Lars says. He tips his hat. "Thank you for your time, Mister Anderson."

Juan checks whether the drunk is stabbed or really drunk, and if he sees the latter, takes position - upright next to the wall of the boarding house.
He's not going to move on the sound of gunshots. Maybe it's Honcho and Johnny, but maybe it's some morons shooting each other over cheating. It wouldn't do to miss the suspects because of the latter.

Last edited:
OOC: Continuing the crawl until the cactus, assuming it's reasonably large.

MacRegan head across the street to the backside of the Yellow Rose Saloon, but sees no activity in the upstairs windows of The Old Sod Boarding House. A couple of men he remembers from the poker table inside exit through the front door.

Marshal Clary ambles south down Arizona Street to go around the cantina and behind the boarding house to check on the corral and rear exit.

Going around the right corner of the boarding house, Juan sees no activity at the side door. There is, however, a drunk half-lying in the dust near the closed door, his hands wrapped around the neck of a bottle of rotgut. His back is propped up against the north wall of the boarding house and his head is slumped forward with his chin rest on his chest. Judging by the wet area around his buttocks and groin, it appears he recently lost control of his bladder.

After about two minutes, you hear two gunshots in rapid succession. They seem to originate from somewhere behind the cantina or the boarding house.
MacRegan will draw his revolver and quickly move to where the gun shots appear to have originated from. He will take the route directly in front of him , where Juan is currently, and will head to the corral. As he passes him he says: "Juan make sure no one slips out the side door, and move back up the alley and keep an eye on Arizona street as well, in case some leaves through the front door!"
Not waiting for a response, he will quickly continue on his way. When he reaches the corner of the building -where the corral and house meet, he will cautiously peer around the corner of the building ready for anything.

ooc: I cannot stress this enough Tybalt will be Behind the cactus, placing the cactus between him and the shooter. once there tybalt and Corbin should be about 30 feet? away from the shooter giving us realsitic chances of hitting the target. If Corbin wants to push onwards from there Tybalt will follow but thats what my plan is for the next couple of rounds.
OOC: Continuing the crawl until the cactus, assuming it's reasonably large.
Aaron and Abel exchange a couple more shots with the sniper, but then the night falls silent. As you stop at the tall stand of saguaro cacti for cover, you hear a scuffling sound from beyond the rocks, perhaps the shooter changing position again.
now.jpg

a7b7820473867e5bd75699f3fb6b7c9a.jpg
Visual reference: the cacti are about the height of the ones directly in front of these cowboys.

Juan checks whether the drunk is stabbed or really drunk, and if he sees the latter, takes position - upright next to the wall of the boarding house.
Juan looks the man over and sees it's Gin Blossom Jenkins, drunk as a skunk and stinking of whiskey and urine after soiling himself. He's utterly out of it and saliva drips from the corner of his mouth.
Gin Blossom Jenkins.jpg
He's not going to move on the sound of gunshots. Maybe it's Honcho and Johnny, but maybe it's some morons shooting each other over cheating. It wouldn't do to miss the suspects because of the latter.
As you wait, you hear and see MacRegan coming up from behind you.
MacRegan will draw his revolver and quickly move to where the gun shots appear to have originated from. He will take the route directly in front of him , where Juan is currently, and will head to the corral. As he passes him he says: "Juan make sure no one slips out the side door, and move back up the alley and keep an eye on Arizona street as well, in case some leaves through the front door!"

Not waiting for a response, he will quickly continue on his way. When he reaches the corner of the building -where the corral and house meet, he will cautiously peer around the corner of the building ready for anything.
MacRegan passes by Juan and goes to the corner.
As MacRegan hits the corner and peers around it, he finds himself confronted with the sight of two wild, unsavory, and altogether ornery-looking characters standing near a body. The body is face-down inside the corral and the men still have pistols in their hands as they start to mount their horses. One of the men is dressed all in buckskin and fringe and the other is a big Mexican hombre, leading you to believe these two are more than likely Buckskin Johnny and Honcho de la Vega. Both are chuckling over something that has struck them as funny. You don't see the marshal anywhere, unless he's the body. The two men are about twenty feet ahead of you by the corral gate, getting ready to ride out. The wooden posts and gate provide limited cover for both you and them; they also have their horses largely between you and their position until they've mounted.
Honcho de la Vega.jpg
Buckskin Johnny.jpg

OOC: Gulp! :sweat:

"One of us up close, one stays here. He comes for me, you'll have a shot" Corbin says putting his hand on Tybalt's shoulder.

Corbin sprints for the rock to the right and will take cover with his back to it.

now.jpg

Juan only nods and retracts back to Arizona Street as instructed.

OOC:double gulp

IC: "Ayup" Tybalt the crouched responds from behind the his cactus and readies his SAR5 and aims for movement coming from the shooter's position to the cactus against the rocks.

Juan looks the man over and sees it's Gin Blossom Jenkins, drunk as a skunk and stinking of whiskey and urine after soiling himself. He's utterly out of it and saliva drips from the corner of his mouth.

As you wait, you hear and see MacRegan coming up from behind you.

MacRegan passes by Juan and goes to the corner.
As MacRegan hits the corner and peers around it, he finds himself confronted with the sight of two wild, unsavory, and altogether ornery-looking characters standing near a body. The body is face-down inside the corral and the men still have pistols in their hands as they start to mount their horses. One of the men is dressed all in buckskin and fringe and the other is a big Mexican hombre, leading you to believe these two are more than likely Buckskin Johnny and Honcho de la Vega. Both are chuckling over something that has struck them as funny. You don't see the marshal anywhere, unless he's the body. The two men are about twenty feet ahead of you by the corral gate, getting ready to ride out. The wooden posts and gate provide limited cover for both you and them; they also have their horses largely between you and their position until they've mounted.
View attachment 12305
"Drop your guns, and put up your hands!" MacRegan shouts while still using the corner for cover.

1569125923399.png

OOC: He will start shooting if the two do anything other than what he told them to do. I will wait for their reactions before rolling anything.

Last edited:
"Well, we'd better try anyway, just so we can tell the boss man we did," Lars says. He tips his hat. "Thank you for your time, Mister Anderson."
Topping his hat as well, Eugene follows his young friend's lead. The two take their leave of Anderssen, and head out to look for any volunteers.

OOC: Gulp! :sweat:

"One of us up close, one stays here. He comes for me, you'll have a shot" Corbin says putting his hand on Tybalt's shoulder.

Corbin sprints for the rock to the right and will take cover with his back to it.

View attachment 12313
OOC:double gulp

IC: "Ayup" Tybalt the crouched responds from behind the his cactus and readies his SAR5 and aims for movement coming from the shooter's position to the cactus against the rocks.
As Corbin sprints, the shooter's rifle flashes and you hear dirt and pebbles spatter where the bullet hits, close to where Corbin and Tybalt were crawling moments before. Tybalt sees the shooter has returned to his original position in the gap between boulder groups.

Is Tybalt firing?

From Corbin's new vantage point, he can't see the shooter, but he's also confident the shooter cannot see him.

"Drop your guns, and put up your hands!" MacRegan shouts while still using the corner for cover.

OOC: He will start shooting if the two do anything other than what he told them to do. I will wait for their reactions before rolling anything.
"Boy, you don't know dung from honey if you think you can take us both!" shouts back the man wearing buckskin.

He and his compadre both turn with their guns in their hands and fire.

Time to chuck some dice if MacRegan is shooting! I'll roll for the two gunmen as soon as I have access to the rules--I left them at home.

Topping his hat as well, Eugene follows his young friend's lead. The two take their leave of Anderssen, and head out to look for any volunteers.
A trio of mestizo brushpoppers approach you in the darkness and one whistles to get your attention.

"¡Hola, amigos!" calls the first man. Coming closer, he smiles broadly, his teeth shining bright white in the night, and says, "I couldn't help but overhear you're looking to hire pistoleros to kill some bad men. Me and mis primos, we very good with the gun. How much you pay us to kill bad men for you?" The three men look to be tough customers itching for action.
8ffda2a81a96c386ccb3c9b232dc8775.jpg

Last edited:
"Boy, you don't know dung from honey if you think you can take us both!" shouts back the man wearing buckskin.

He and his compadre both turn with their guns in their hands and fire.

Time to chuck some dice if MacRegan is shooting! I'll roll for the two gunmen as soon as I have access to the rules--I left them at home.
OOC: Likewise here. Let's see what happens when I get home from work.

yes, one shot from the SAR towards the source of the gunshot

ooc: should I roll now?

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back