Boot Hill: Pima County

Shemek hiTankolel

Tsolyani Refugee
Joined
Jun 23, 2018
Messages
685
Reaction score
691
Corbin's mind immediately turns to Betsy and Pa Sommers.

"I'll stay here Sir, if you don't mind. There's plenty of good folk here I wouldn't like to see come to harm. Hopefully we'll learn a good bit in your absence and can tell you the whole story when you get back"
"That's fine. Just scout, don't attack until we get back. I'd like to go after them with enough men to clean the whole bunch out at one swipe."
 

Shemek hiTankolel

Tsolyani Refugee
Joined
Jun 23, 2018
Messages
685
Reaction score
691
OOC: If everyone has eaten breakfast, who wants to go with MacRegan to Tucson?
I want to hire a couple of locals and a wagon to transport the Marshal's body, as well as the Blue Bandana gang (the live ones and the dead ones) that we have so far taken care of. I figure MacRegan would probably want at least two others from the posse to ride with him, one of which Juan should be since MacRegan doesn't speak Spanish.
How many in the posse now, including the new guys that we managed to get from the local ranchers?
Also, is Wayne back yet? I was hoping to talk to him before we rode out.
 
Last edited:

FeralToaster

Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2019
Messages
800
Reaction score
863
"Loved to come along but I have some work for the Abel Brothers in the Potters Field that needs doing before things get too fragrant" Tybalt replies to MacRegan. A coldness enters Tybalt voice as he continues "After that I have a 'small matter' that will require my attention on Main Street. You all are welcome to attend and watch, maybe help carry something back to the field later".
 

Shemek hiTankolel

Tsolyani Refugee
Joined
Jun 23, 2018
Messages
685
Reaction score
691
"Loved to come along but I have some work for the Abel Brothers in the Potters Field that needs doing before things get too fragrant" Tybalt replies to MacRegan. A coldness enters Tybalt voice as he continues "After that I have a 'small matter' that will require my attention on Main Street. You all are welcome to attend and watch, maybe help carry something back to the field later".
"Anything I can help with? I sure wouldn't want someone who stepped up to aid me feeling that I didn't have their back when push came to shove."
 

FeralToaster

Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2019
Messages
800
Reaction score
863
"Anything I can help with? I sure wouldn't want someone who stepped up to aid me feeling that I didn't have their back when push came to shove."
"Ah, that's mighty nice of you MacRegan" Tybalt says with genuine emotion in his voice.

"Its just a disagreement between me and a mister Mccord. He thinks its all right to besmirch my dead brother's name and I think he'd be better off on the wrong shore of the river Styx, we'll resolve the matter in the traditional way on Main Street. I've asked Eugene to be my second in the matter but your all welcome to come and make sure its all fair and above board" Tybalt says matter of factly.

Tybalt voices turns cold. "I just don't trust somebody who'd disrespect the memory of somebody whose past to fight fair".
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
12,651
Reaction score
23,831

FeralToaster

Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2019
Messages
800
Reaction score
863
OC: timeline for Tybalt's plan for a duel starts here with post# 1572 with Eugene informing him about a stranger with ties to the past
Eugene moves to Tybalt's side. He places a hand on his boss's arm and says, "Good t'see ya, Mr. Crenshaw. Lars and I brought some Mexicans who're willin' t'act as lawmen, long as they get paid fair." Then, lowering his voice, he says, "Boss, I ran crosst a man dressed all in black. A killer. He says his name's McCord, and that he's been doin' business with your brother, and needs you t'sign somwthin' or somesuch. I know where he's gonna be, and when. Do you know this fella, boss?"
continues here with Tybalt seeking duel to the stranger
IC: Eugene's mention of Tybalt's brother is jarring enough to take his attenion off the dying man in front of him. "My brother's dead, a sudden storm made our herd stampede, My brother Mercutio rode off a cliff trying to save our herd, him and half our herd plummeted to their deaths that fell day. Afterwards I searched for his bodies for days but the river must've carried off his body god knows where. Sad business not to be able to give your own kin a proper burial. Tybalt turns and looks Eugene in the eye and with a eerie calm says, "I don't know who this Mccord is or what's business is but I'm going kill him for besmirching my brother's good name".
and here's the bit I forgot with the whole Main street and in August
"I recalled about your brother, but that's only part of why I took this feller to be suspect. He had killed some campesinos afore we arrived. They was armed, and he claimed it was self-defense. And there was no man could - or would - say different. I coupldn't say I had call to arrest him, without havin' the truth of what happened. But it just didn't sit right with me, Mr. Crenshaw. He's gonna be here in Saguaro, at the Western Star, first of August. After that, he's gonna be in Arizona City. I don't aim to let you come to any harm. I'd feel a lot better if you and I stick together until this business with McCord is settled."
and it sorta rolled from there. If there is a problem plot wise we can switch the whole "small matter" conversation to a search of the area for clues of who Mccord talked and what his business in town is. It is less dramatic than a duel but I think it is still a valid course of action. Please tell me if I missed anything
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
12,651
Reaction score
23,831
We can assume you hired some laborers to help bury the dead in the potter's field and you can rent a wagon and team to pull it, and hire teamsters, at either the Wells Fargo or the livery stable, both on Main Street. There are always able-bodied men looking for work. If you want to stick around for the burial, you'll need to hang around town for a hour or so while the graves are dug out.

You currently have three NPCs in your posse: the Armbruster brothers and the three Mexican cousins.

As far as you know, Big Jim Wayne is at his ranch, which would be a couple of hours' ride if you want to visit him.

I can either summarize what Tybalt can learn by asking around town, which would allow everyone to move forward with their plans, or we can roleplay it out if you prefer that. I'm good both ways.
 
Last edited:

FeralToaster

Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2019
Messages
800
Reaction score
863
oc: hmm, I kinda want to hear from the group on this I'm fine running the errand to see to the burial and then doing a search for clues but I realize fast forwarding would speed up things for the party. Plus I'm wary of splitting the party for what amounts to a personal sidequest.

additional: did the Abel brothers become the Armbruster brothers I'm fine with that I just want to get the names right in the future.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
12,651
Reaction score
23,831
oc: hmm, I kinda want to hear from the group on this I'm fine running the errand to see to the burial and then doing a search for clues but I realize fast forwarding would speed up things for the party. Plus I'm wary of splitting the party for what amounts to a personal sidequest.

additional: did the Abel brothers become the Armbruster brothers I'm fine with that I just want to get the names right in the future.
Their names have always been Abel Armbruster and Aaron Armbruster--Tybalt must have misheard.
 

FeralToaster

Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2019
Messages
800
Reaction score
863
OC: alright if I'm not making waves I'll have Tybalt split from the party to run the potters field errand and then search the area where Mccord was last seen. See if anyone talked to him or saw him, that sorta thing. Probably meet later with Macregan in the evening and compare notes. I'm fine with it being done as a flash forward if the GM thinks that is the easiest route.
 

Gringnr

Chief of the Boat Feels
Joined
Jan 9, 2019
Messages
1,303
Reaction score
1,731
OC: alright if I'm not making waves I'll have Tybalt split from the party to run the potters field errand and then search the area where Mccord was last seen. See if anyone talked to him or saw him, that sorta thing. Probably meet later with Macregan in the evening and compare notes. I'm fine with it being done as a flash forward if the GM thinks that is the easiest route.
Eugene follows Tybalt, as much out of concern for his safety as a desire to aid him with the burial.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
12,651
Reaction score
23,831
As I understand it, Tybalt and Eugene are asking around town for information on Clint McCord, MacRegan and Juan are transporting their prisoners to Tucson, but I'm not clear on what Lars and Corbin are doing.

I'll update for Tybalt and Eugene and MacRegan and Juan probably tonight (or tomorrow if I run out of time), but I don't want to leave out Lars and Corbin. @Baeraad and @Séadna: Is there anything in particular either/both of you want to do?
 

Shemek hiTankolel

Tsolyani Refugee
Joined
Jun 23, 2018
Messages
685
Reaction score
691
As I understand it, Tybalt and Eugene are asking around town for information on Clint McCord, MacRegan and Juan are transporting their prisoners to Tucson, but I'm not clear on what Lars and Corbin are doing.

I'll update for Tybalt and Eugene and MacRegan and Juan probably tonight (or tomorrow if I run out of time), but I don't want to leave out Lars and Corbin. @Baeraad and @Séadna: Is there anything in particular either/both of you want to do?
OOC: Does anyone else want to come with MacRegan and Juan? If Tybalt and Eugene are staying in town they, along with the NPC's, should be able to hold the fort until MacRegan and the others return.

How long is it to Tucson with a wagon and team?
 
Last edited:

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
2,832
Reaction score
4,015
I'll update for Tybalt and Eugene and MacRegan and Juan probably tonight (or tomorrow if I run out of time), but I don't want to leave out Lars and Corbin. @Baeraad and @Séadna: Is there anything in particular either/both of you want to do?
Corbin is going to stay in town and head around asking about the gang. He'll ask in the Wells Fargo, the Blacksmith's and the Livery stable first.
He'll first ask does anybody know any members or have they seen suspicious or unusual folk around the town. He'll be plain about it saying he's a deputy.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
12,651
Reaction score
23,831
The only thing I've been meaning to do is go to the general store and see if they have any cook books to sell... :wink:
Moseying over to the Wagon Wheel General Store, just down the block from the marshal's office, Lars is greeted by the husband-and-wife owner-operators Lonnie and Sarah Parsons. They look to be somewhere in the range of 30 to 35, and relatively prosperous.

Beyond the one large, dust-caked display window the interior of the store is dim and crowded with shelves stocked with all manner of goods: coffee beans, spices, baking powder, oatmeal, sugar, dried fruit, hard candy, powdered milk, vegetables, honey, flour, molasses, crackers, cheese, syrup, dried beans, cigars, jerky, and tobacco.

There's a cast iron stove dead center in the store, mainly for heat on cold winter nights, but seldom used; as such the store is free of the layer of soot known to collect in general stores in colder climes. Past the stove, at the front counter, are a few display cases for smaller items, as well as a coffee grinder and scales for weighing merchandise. Behind the counter, beneath a tattered but proudly displayed 4th Missouri Infantry regimental flag, is a small selection of rifles and shotguns and ammunition, as well as more essential items such as lanterns, ropes, shovels, axes, picks, crockery, pots and pans, cooking utensils, and dishes.
Over to the right side of the counter is the small apothecary section of the store, offering a variety of patent medicines, remedies, soaps, toiletries, and elixirs; off to the left is the crowded dry goods section of the store, cramped with shelves containing bolts of cloth, pins and needles, thread, ribbon, silk, buttons, undergarments, suspenders, dungarees, hats, and shoes.

The lack of accumulated dust on any of the merchandise is an indicator that the Wagon Wheel does brisk business across the board in every field.

"A cookbook?" Mrs. Parsons asks. "Can't say there's much call for them, but I know there's one or two around here somewhere." She putters behind the counter until she finds what she's looking for. Looking at the titles, she says, "You're in luck. Did you want American cookery, or, The art of dressing viands, fish, poultry, & vegetables; and the best mode of making puff-pastes, pies, tarts, puddings, custards & preserves, and all kinds of cakes, from the imperial plumb to plain cake; adapted to this country by Miss Amelia Simmons or this here French 'un?"
AmeliaSimmonsAmericanCookery-e1356038085912.jpg
default.jpg
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
12,651
Reaction score
23,831
Corbin is going to stay in town and head around asking about the gang. He'll ask in the Wells Fargo, the Blacksmith's and the Livery stable first.
He'll first ask does anybody know any members or have they seen suspicious or unusual folk around the town. He'll be plain about it saying he's a deputy.
Corbin's inquiries at the Wells Fargo and livery stable lead him to Heinrich Wurtzel, the town blacksmith, who pauses in his work and shakes his head regretfully and admits, "Had I known they was bad men, I'd not have made horseshoes for them. I should of known they was no good when they offer to pay me double to say nothing. I only say something now because now I know they're killers and robbers." He sucks thoughtfully on his cigar and looks back to his work.
Wurtzel.jpg
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
12,651
Reaction score
23,831
OC: alright if I'm not making waves I'll have Tybalt split from the party to run the potters field errand and then search the area where Mccord was last seen. See if anyone talked to him or saw him, that sorta thing. Probably meet later with Macregan in the evening and compare notes. I'm fine with it being done as a flash forward if the GM thinks that is the easiest route.
Eugene follows Tybalt, as much out of concern for his safety as a desire to aid him with the burial.
Unless you want to personally oversee the burial, I'll go ahead and assume you left the laborers to take care of that.

Asking around town, aided by Eugene's description of McCord, you learn that the man in black was seen doing business at the Saguaro Bank as well as Sour Lemmons' Livery Stable.

There are several bulletholes in the planks that make up the front of the bank, but business goes on and the lone teller glances up from under his green visor with a look of annoyance. "I'm afraid I can't discuss a customer's private business without Mr. Ludlow's say-so," the teller replies to any questions about McCord. As if on cue, you see a well-dressed older man with cynical eyes exit a private office behind the teller. The teller looks nervous as the bank manager says, "More visitors about that robbery, Mr. Bartleby?"

Bartleby stutters a bit and tells you, "This is Mr. Elias Ludlow, the founder, manager, and president of Saguaro Bank."

Ludlow (1).jpg
Elias Ludlow
Ludlow clears his throat and speaks in a deep voice, "As I told the other bounty hunters, the Saguaro Bank has agreed to put up a $2,000.00 reward for the return of our stolen funds. I suggest you round up some Mexicans. If they won't confess, string up one and then another until someone talks!"
 

FeralToaster

Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2019
Messages
800
Reaction score
863
"Rest assured good sir a posse has been assembled and is readying itself to dispense righteous justice as we speak" Tybalt says a trifle too loudly to the obviously important Mister Ludlow. In a more normal tone of voice Tybalt continues, "We are just following up a stray lead considering a suspicious man [Tybalt names Mccord and gives a rough description of his appearance] who appears connected to the bank robbery, He was in your bank prior to the robbery and we were wondering if there was anything unusual with his behavior?" Tybalt asks Mr. Ludlow.

ooc: I had Tybalt take the lead on questioning here but @Gringnr if he wants can have Eugene do the questioning for Sours Lemmons Stables.
 

Gringnr

Chief of the Boat Feels
Joined
Jan 9, 2019
Messages
1,303
Reaction score
1,731
"Rest assured good sir a posse has been assembled and is readying itself to dispense righteous justice as we speak" Tybalt says a trifle too loudly to the obviously important Mister Ludlow. In a more normal tone of voice Tybalt continues, "We are just following up a stray lead considering a suspicious man [Tybalt names Mccord and gives a rough description of his appearance] who appears connected to the bank robbery, He was in your bank prior to the robbery and we were wondering if there was anything unusual with his behavior?" Tybalt asks Mr. Ludlow.

ooc: I had Tybalt take the lead on questioning here but @Gringnr if he wants can have Eugene do the questioning for Sours Lemmons Stables.

Eugene is more than willing to let Tybalt take the lead in questioning. Both out of respect for his boss, and the knowledge that there are still many white folks who won't deign to answer questions from a negro. Now, black cowboys aren't uncommon, and most in Saguaro treat Eugene with a decent amount of respect. And while Eugene neither needs nor asks for permission to talk to any man, he is currently more concerned with bringing the affair of Mr. McCord to a swift and desirable conclusion. Standing on principle in matters of respect would normally be very much in his character for Eugene. And in general, he is happy to disabuse people.of the notion that he, or any black person for that matter, is deserving of anything less than equal treatment. But he is willing to swallow his pride in order to get to the bottom of this McCord business as quickly as possible...
 

Baeraad

Delicate Snowflake
Joined
Oct 4, 2017
Messages
875
Reaction score
1,535
Moseying over to the Wagon Wheel General Store, just down the block from the marshal's office, Lars is greeted by the husband-and-wife owner-operators Lonnie and Sarah Parsons. They look to be somewhere in the range of 30 to 35, and relatively prosperous.

Beyond the one large, dust-caked display window the interior of the store is dim and crowded with shelves stocked with all manner of goods: coffee beans, spices, baking powder, oatmeal, sugar, dried fruit, hard candy, powdered milk, vegetables, honey, flour, molasses, crackers, cheese, syrup, dried beans, cigars, jerky, and tobacco.

There's a cast iron stove dead center in the store, mainly for heat on cold winter nights, but seldom used; as such the store is free of the layer of soot known to collect in general stores in colder climes. Past the stove, at the front counter, are a few display cases for smaller items, as well as a coffee grinder and scales for weighing merchandise. Behind the counter, beneath a tattered but proudly displayed 4th Missouri Infantry regimental flag, is a small selection of rifles and shotguns and ammunition, as well as more essential items such as lanterns, ropes, shovels, axes, picks, crockery, pots and pans, cooking utensils, and dishes.
Over to the right side of the counter is the small apothecary section of the store, offering a variety of patent medicines, remedies, soaps, toiletries, and elixirs; off to the left is the crowded dry goods section of the store, cramped with shelves containing bolts of cloth, pins and needles, thread, ribbon, silk, buttons, undergarments, suspenders, dungarees, hats, and shoes.

The lack of accumulated dust on any of the merchandise is an indicator that the Wagon Wheel does brisk business across the board in every field.

"A cookbook?" Mrs. Parsons asks. "Can't say there's much call for them, but I know there's one or two around here somewhere." She putters behind the counter until she finds what she's looking for. Looking at the titles, she says, "You're in luck. Did you want American cookery, or, The art of dressing viands, fish, poultry, & vegetables; and the best mode of making puff-pastes, pies, tarts, puddings, custards & preserves, and all kinds of cakes, from the imperial plumb to plain cake; adapted to this country by Miss Amelia Simmons or this here French 'un?"
"Well, I best go with the American one, ma'am, on account of I don't speak a word of French," Lars says good-naturedly. "What'll it cost me?"
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
2,832
Reaction score
4,015
Corbin's inquiries at the Wells Fargo and livery stable lead him to Heinrich Wurtzel, the town blacksmith, who pauses in his work and shakes his head regretfully and admits, "Had I known they was bad men, I'd not have made horseshoes for them. I should of known they was no good when they offer to pay me double to say nothing. I only say something now because now I know they're killers and robbers." He sucks thoughtfully on his cigar and looks back to his work.
"Well out in the rough here it's hard to refuse double. I know where you're coming from, so no judgement. But tell me, what'd they look like? Any idea where they were headed?"
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
12,651
Reaction score
23,831
"Rest assured good sir a posse has been assembled and is readying itself to dispense righteous justice as we speak" Tybalt says a trifle too loudly to the obviously important Mister Ludlow. In a more normal tone of voice Tybalt continues, "We are just following up a stray lead considering a suspicious man [Tybalt names Mccord and gives a rough description of his appearance] who appears connected to the bank robbery, He was in your bank prior to the robbery and we were wondering if there was anything unusual with his behavior?" Tybalt asks Mr. Ludlow.
"Well," harrumphs Ludlow, "I wouldn't ordinarily discuss another man's business with you, but you seem to be a man of good breeding such as I, and this McCord fellow struck me as a coarse lowlife no matter what sort of gold he might carry on his person. He seemed to me little more than a hired gun who thinks flashing a wad of no-doubt ill-gotten cash entitles him to a place in higher society. I'm sure you can imagine the rapscallion putting on airs as he spoke of investments and business dealings and co-ownership of a mine somewhere in the Patagonia Mountains south of here, along the border. He mentioned a partner by the name of Mercutio Crenshaw. Any relation?"
"Well, I best go with the American one, ma'am, on account of I don't speak a word of French," Lars says good-naturedly. "What'll it cost me?"
"I'll make you a special deal," says Mrs. Parsons. "Twenty cents for the one and I'll let you have the other free."
"Well out in the rough here it's hard to refuse double. I know where you're coming from, so no judgement. But tell me, what'd they look like? Any idea where they were headed?"
"They looked like bad men," says Wurtzel. "Mostly white men, some Mexicans or half-breeds. I try not to listen too close or they steal instead of buy from me, maybe, but they mention someplace they call La Atalaya, like a place to meet up, maybe, but I never hear where that place is. Cougar Rydell mention this place before--you might ask him, maybe."
 

Baeraad

Delicate Snowflake
Joined
Oct 4, 2017
Messages
875
Reaction score
1,535
"I'll make you a special deal," says Mrs. Parsons. "Twenty cents for the one and I'll let you have the other free."
Lars still doesn't see the point of a book he can't read, but he has a vague idea that people who own a lot of books are smart, so possibly books bestow some smartness on you even if you don't technically understand what's in them? And anyway, Mrs Parsons is a nice lady and he's in a good mood.

"Sure, let's go with that," he says and hands over the money.
 

FeralToaster

Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2019
Messages
800
Reaction score
863
He mentioned a partner by the name of Mercutio Crenshaw. Any relation?"
Tybalt's face blanches and for a moment and he winces at the mention of his dear departed brother Mercutio. Tybalt takes a moment to breathe before continuing. "I see, yes, it looks like we have confirmation that Mr. Mccord has taken to associating with nefarious individuals who would mask their crimes with the names of the deceased. Rest assured mr. Ludlow that justice will be meted out for Mccord and his robbers both for their sordid crimes and for taking my dead kin's name to hide themselves from justice" Tybalt mentally notes down the mention of the Patagonia mountains and makes a polite if strained good bye to mr. Ludlow and his staff and exits the bank.

Tybalt waits on the street outside to compare notes with Eugene about Mccord and his activities.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
2,832
Reaction score
4,015
"They looked like bad men," says Wurtzel. "Mostly white men, some Mexicans or half-breeds. I try not to listen too close or they steal instead of buy from me, maybe, but they mention someplace they call La Atalaya, like a place to meet up, maybe, but I never hear where that place is. Cougar Rydell mention this place before--you might ask him, maybe."
"La Atalaya huh? Well it's a start. And thanks for the tip about Rydell. And look, don't feel too guilty about doing business with them. These things happen"

Corbin will head to the La Estrella de Cinco Puntas Cantina first. Rather than ask questions straight away he'll settle in at a table and get a general read of the atmosphere. Specifically how welcome he seems to be.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
12,651
Reaction score
23,831
"La Atalaya huh? Well it's a start. And thanks for the tip about Rydell. And look, don't feel too guilty about doing business with them. These things happen"

Corbin will head to the La Estrella de Cinco Puntas Cantina first. Rather than ask questions straight away he'll settle in at a table and get a general read of the atmosphere. Specifically how welcome he seems to be.
Even though it's still fairly early in the day, as you approach the cantina's front entrance, you can already tell it's busy with a clientele that would rather drink today's wages than earn tomorrow's. The miasma of sawdust and dried vomit wafts from just inside the batwing doors, and you hear the tinkling of an out-of-tune piano being played disinterestedly, with stops and starts of popular canciones. Inside, you see a group of peones with day-old beard and drooping black mustaches sitting at the bar and playing dominoes, drinking tequila, and occasionally remembering to eat their botanas. They look up momentarily to see if it might be the Rurales coming to get them, then look back to their game when they realize it's only some wet-behind-the ears gringo. Further back in the cantina are a dozen round tables, each with three or four chairs encircling it, and nearly every chair is occupied as La Estrella de Cinco Puntas is a gathering place for the rural community hereabouts: peones, obreros, granjeros, vendedores de licor destilado ilegalmente, y así. Despite the hour, more than a few bottles of tequila are already empty. A fog of cigarette smoke collects overhead and attractive young camareras strut up and down an aisle between the tables to serve drinks and appetizers. There are no empty tables that you can claim, but there are a handful of empty chairs at occupied tables. "Hey, you want tequila?" calls the bartender. "Maybe something to eat?"
1292.jpg
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
12,651
Reaction score
23,831
Lars still doesn't see the point of a book he can't read, but he has a vague idea that people who own a lot of books are smart, so possibly books bestow some smartness on you even if you don't technically understand what's in them? And anyway, Mrs Parsons is a nice lady and he's in a good mood.

"Sure, let's go with that," he says and hands over the money.
"Best be careful now," she says. "There's been a lot of shooting in town lately."
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
12,651
Reaction score
23,831
Eugene is more than willing to let Tybalt take the lead in questioning. Both out of respect for his boss, and the knowledge that there are still many white folks who won't deign to answer questions from a negro. Now, black cowboys aren't uncommon, and most in Saguaro treat Eugene with a decent amount of respect. And while Eugene neither needs nor asks for permission to talk to any man, he is currently more concerned with bringing the affair of Mr. McCord to a swift and desirable conclusion. Standing on principle in matters of respect would normally be very much in his character for Eugene. And in general, he is happy to disabuse people.of the notion that he, or any black person for that matter, is deserving of anything less than equal treatment. But he is willing to swallow his pride in order to get to the bottom of this McCord business as quickly as possible...
Tybalt's face blanches and for a moment and he winces at the mention of his dear departed brother Mercutio. Tybalt takes a moment to breathe before continuing. "I see, yes, it looks like we have confirmation that Mr. Mccord has taken to associating with nefarious individuals who would mask their crimes with the names of the deceased. Rest assured mr. Ludlow that justice will be meted out for Mccord and his robbers both for their sordid crimes and for taking my dead kin's name to hide themselves from justice" Tybalt mentally notes down the mention of the Patagonia mountains and makes a polite if strained good bye to mr. Ludlow and his staff and exits the bank.

Tybalt waits on the street outside to compare notes with Eugene about Mccord and his activities.
Are Tybalt and Eugene talking to anyone else?
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
12,651
Reaction score
23,831
OOC: Juan would like to join the Northerner and escort those guys to the bigger city.
OOC: Does anyone else want to come with MacRegan and Juan? If Tybalt and Eugene are staying in town they, along with the NPC's, should be able to hold the fort until MacRegan and the others return.

How long is it to Tucson with a wagon and team?
With a wagon you'll move slower, but you're not carrying freight so we'll call it a day.
Were MacRegan and Juan leaving the others in Saguaro? If so, I can fast-forward to your arrival in Tucson...unless these pesky dice say something interesting happens en route.
 

Shemek hiTankolel

Tsolyani Refugee
Joined
Jun 23, 2018
Messages
685
Reaction score
691
Were MacRegan and Juan leaving the others in Saguaro? If so, I can fast-forward to your arrival in Tucson...unless these pesky dice say something interesting happens en route.
OOC: Chaps, I think Juan and I need at least one more person to come with us. I'd rather a PC join us. Lars, will you tag along? Three armed PC's and the ostlers should be enough to discourage any desperados.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
2,832
Reaction score
4,015
"Hey, you want tequila?" calls the bartender. "Maybe something to eat?"
"I'll have some tequila alright" Corbin nods and looks around "And I'll have a mix of what they're having" he says gesturing to the peones.

Corbin will head to the group playing dominoes while waiting for his food and drink.

"Mind if I sit in? Used to play this back home" he'll say using his father's accent, a Francophone never fully comfortable with English.
 
Top