Boot Hill: Pima County

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
OOC: MacRegan will make himself as comfortable as possible and go to sleep.
Is there an empty cell that he can sleep in?
Before retiring for the night who else is sleeping in the jail besides himself and Eugene? Juan?
I guess he will talk with Crenshaw in the morning?
Also, he will make sure that Honcho's cell is locked, and the the door(s) to the Marshal's office are locked before passing out.

OOC: MacRegan will make himself as comfortable as possible and go to sleep.
Is there an empty cell that he can sleep in?
Before retiring for the night who else is sleeping in the jail besides himself and Eugene? Juan?
I guess he will talk with Crenshaw in the morning?
Also, he will make sure that Honcho's cell is locked, and the the door(s) to the Marshal's office are locked before passing out.
There are but two cells: one holds the Randazzo brothers and the other has Honcho and the corpses of Buckskin Johnny and Marshal Clary in it.

Near as I can tell all of the PCs are squatting like hobos in the marshal's office.

"Getting mighty crowded in here," observes Aaron Armbruster. "Me an' my brother will make camp in that barn we saw behind the doc's place. We've slept in worse places than a barn but we ain't accustomed to sleeping next to dead men."

"¡Ay, muchachos! Wait up! Me and my cousins will join you," says Carlos Jiménez de Zamora as the five men head out the door.

There are but two cells: one holds the Randazzo brothers and the other has Honcho and the corpses of Buckskin Johnny and Marshal Clary in it.

Near as I can tell all of the PCs are squatting like hobos in the marshal's office.

"Getting mighty crowded in here," observes Aaron Armbruster. "Me an' my brother will make camp in that barn we saw behind the doc's place. We've slept in worse places than a barn but we ain't accustomed to sleeping next to dead men."

"¡Ay, muchachos! Wait up! Me and my cousins will join you," says Carlos Jiménez de Zamora as the five men head out the door.

OOC: MacRegan will get as comfortable as he can in the Marshal's chair, throw a blanket over himself, and crash.
Is there a shotgun in the office? If so, he will load it and keep it close to him. He will have his pistol near him as well.

OOC: MacRegan will get as comfortable as he can in the Marshal's chair, throw a blanket over himself, and crash.
Is there a shotgun in the office? If so, he will load it and keep it close to him. He will have his pistol near him as well.
No shotgun, but there is a .50-caliber Remington buffalo gun.

As the harsh light of dawn breaks into the comfortable darkness of the corner Tybalt bedded down in he wakes up from his corner and begins waking up the other members as they slowly awaken and drag themselves into the Marshall's office.

Juan stands vigil over Buckskin Johnny, and is ready to help MacRegan if the bing northerner requires assistance.

As the harsh light of dawn breaks into the comfortable darkness of the corner Tybalt bedded down in he wakes up from his corner and begins waking up the other members as they slowly awaken and drag themselves into the Marshall's office.
Eugene awakens reluctantly at Crenshaw's gentle yet insistent shaking. The alcohol he's imbibed to ease the pain in his shoulder has worn off, leaving him slightly hung over, parched and in pain.

"Jus' a minute, boss, I need to wash up. And eat something. My throat's as dry as a tumbleweed and my stomach thinks my throat's been cut. I 'spect I should get this shoulder bandage looked after, as well."

MacRegan carefully stretches and gets out of his chair. "Morning Juan. Did you get any sleep?" he asks the deputy as he goes to the stove, lights it, and builds up the fire before putting on a pot of coffee.

OOC: Who is in the Marshal's office with him besides the prisoners and Juan?

Eugene awakens reluctantly at Crenshaw's gentle yet insistent shaking. The alcohol he's imbibed to ease the pain in his shoulder has worn off, leaving him slightly hung over, parched and in pain.

"Jus' a minute, boss, I need to wash up. And eat something. My throat's as dry as a tumbleweed and my stomach thinks my throat's been cut. I 'spect I should get this shoulder bandage looked after, as well."
Sunrise on Thursday, June 23, 1870 was about 5:18 a.m., so you got only a few hours' sleep.
Juan stands vigil over Buckskin Johnny, and is ready to help MacRegan if the bing northerner requires assistance.
Did Juan sleep at all?
OOC: Who is in the Marshal's office with him besides the prisoners and Juan?
My understanding is all six PCs are in the marshal's office while your recruits are in the Wells Fargo barn behind Doc Haney's place.
MacRegan carefully stretches and gets out of his chair. "Morning Juan. Did you get any sleep?" he asks the deputy as he goes to the stove, lights it, and builds up the fire before putting on a pot of coffee.
You awaken to a day that is already sunny and blazing, and the putrid stench, not unlike rotting fruit, of dead bodies decomposing at an accelerated rate due to the desert heat. Outside in the street you can already hear business beginning as a buckboard pulls up outside the Wagon Wheel General Store and Cougar Rydell drags, with little help from his buzzard-bait old mule, his weather-beaten, ore-laden stone boat to the town assayer. From down the street you hear a bell announcing the Cactus Flower Restaurant is open for breakfast.

OOC: First order of business is to get rid of those corpses. MacRegan isn't too fussy about Buckskin Johnny and the other dead desperados. They can be buried locally.

I assume that there's a local cemetery?

Is there a photographer in town?

Doc Haney said that there's an under taker in Tucson. MacRegan wants to take the Marshal's body there for embalming and a proper burial. Where are the local teamsters at? I believe we can use Wells Fargo?

MacRegan wants to talk to the Sheriff and Marshal in Tucson. I think that some local authorities need to be made aware of what's going on and what he plans to do.

OOC: First order of business is to get rid of those corpses. MacRegan isn't too fussy about Buckskin Johnny and the other dead desperados. They can be buried locally.

I assume that there's a local cemetery?
The nearest real cemetery is at La Misión Santísimo Nombre de María, south of town, but there is also a nondenominational potter's field about a mile northwest past the labor camps. An itinerant preacher can usually be found without much effort.
Is there a photographer in town?
Not unless one happens to be passing through. The nearest professional would be in Tucson. There's a vanishingly small chance anyone in Saguaro has a camera.
Doc Haney said that there's an under taker in Tucson. MacRegan wants to take the Marshal's body there for embalming and a proper burial. Where are the local teamsters at?
Those not on the payroll of Wells Fargo can usually be found killing time between jobs at the Vulture's Roost Saloon, the Yellow Rose Saloon, and La Estrella de Cinco Puntas Cantina. Most of those at the cantina, being Mexican laborers seeking any work they can get, can usually be hired on the cheap along with their wheelbarrows, wagons, mules, and other work implements and animals. They could probably dig any graves you desire as well.
I believe we can use Wells Fargo?
Yes.
MacRegan wants to talk to the Sheriff and Marshal in Tucson. I think that some local authorities need to be made aware of what's going on and what he plans to do.
You'd need to ride up to Tucson or send a messenger. Marshal Clary sent a messenger boy to the sheriff in Tucson by of the last stage before he got shot yestreen. That messenger should be back with a response sometime today, or you could send a new message now to update the authorities sooner rather than later.

"Hold up there Eugene, I'll get over there to change your bandages". Tybalt begins pulling out some alcohol to clean the wound and looking for some clean cloth to bandage the injury. "Hmm without a camera to identify these men we will need the Marshall to write and sign a uh, "testimonial" to confirm that these were criminals." Tybalt says as he works on Eugene's injury. "I understand Corbin might have some legal expertise".

"Thank you, Mr. Regan. I did sleep, yeah, after saying a prayer for their sinful souls", Juan replies truthfully. "Tried to only sleep with one eye, in case you need something, though. Ack..."
He winces.
"Let's get those away. I'd say the vigil is complete, no need to choke on them!"

"Hold up there Eugene, I'll get over there to change your bandages". Tybalt begins pulling out some alcohol to clean the wound and looking for some clean cloth to bandage the injury. "Hmm without a camera to identify these men we will need the Marshall to write and sign a uh, "testimonial" to confirm that these were criminals." Tybalt says as he works on Eugene's injury. "I understand Corbin might have some legal expertise".
"No legal experience I'm afraid Mr. Crenshaw"

He speaks to the room in general.

"We get these bad fellas buried first I take it. Find a cart and take them out to the local plot. A bit grim, but does anybody feel like findin' any kin they might have?"

Last edited:
"I feel like markin' their names on their graves, so their relatives would know which grave to tend to. If any appear", Juan answers, trying to breath through his mouth.

"No legal experience I'm afraid Mr. Crenshaw"

He speaks to the room in general.

"We get these bad fellas buried first I take it. Find a cart and take them out to the local plot. A bit grim, but does anybody feel like findin' any kin they might have?"

"Not particularly, but I can go visit the local church talk with the priest, maybe leave a note on the local bulletin board for any surviving kin" Tybalt says as he finishes putting a fresh bandage on Eugene.

The nearest real cemetery is at La Misión Santísimo Nombre de María, south of town, but there is also a nondenominational potter's field about a mile northwest past the labor camps. An itinerant preacher can usually be found without much effort.

I think that a potter's field is fine.

Not unless one happens to be passing through. The nearest professional would be in Tucson. There's a vanishingly small chance anyone in Saguaro has a camera.

OK.

Those not on the payroll of Wells Fargo can usually be found killing time between jobs at the Vulture's Roost Saloon, the Yellow Rose Saloon, and La Estrella de Cinco Puntas Cantina. Most of those at the cantina, being Mexican laborers seeking any work they can get, can usually be hired on the cheap along with their wheelbarrows, wagons, mules, and other work implements and animals. They could probably dig any graves you desire as well.

OK. MacRegan will go to the Yellow Rose for breakfast, and while there ask if anyone wants a job burying the varmints. He'll also inquire if a photographer happens to be in town.

Yes.

You'd need to ride up to Tucson or send a messenger. Marshal Clary sent a messenger boy to the sheriff in Tucson by of the last stage before he got shot yestreen. That messenger should be back with a response sometime today, or you could send a new message now to update the authorities sooner rather than later.

MacRegan wants to ride to Tucson with Marshal Clary's body. So he will need a wagon or buckboard, and a driver. Also he would like to bring a few of the posse with him in case he runs into bushwhackers.

"I feel like markin' their names on their graves, so their relatives would know which grave to tend to. If any appear", Juan answers, trying to breath through his mouth.

"I think that would be fine Juan. Even filthy beggars like these probably have kin somewhere." replies MacRegan

"Thanks, boss." Eugene says, grateful for Tybalt's aid.

OK. MacRegan will go to the Yellow Rose for breakfast, and while there ask if anyone wants a job burying the varmints. He'll also inquire if a photographer happens to be in town.
Is anyone else going to the Yellow Rose with MacRegan, or elsewhere?
MacRegan wants to ride to Tucson with Marshal Clary's body. So he will need a wagon or buckboard, and a driver. Also he would like to bring a few of the posse with him in case he runs into bushwhackers.
Your recruits are still in the barn unless someone has gone to retrieve them. They may not even be awake.

Is anyone else going to the Yellow Rose with MacRegan, or elsewhere?

Your recruits are still in the barn unless someone has gone to retrieve them. They may not even be awake.

"Well I do have some scratch saved up from all this law and order we've been doing, Eugene how bout I treat you to breakfast? Offers open to anybody, I'm a feeling generous" says to the room but focused on Tybalt's associates foremost (i.e the player party). "MacRegan if were doing a simple potter field burial why not let our new members sleep in and then let them handle the digging?" Tybalt suggests to MacRegan.

"Well I do have some scratch saved up from all this law and order we've been doing, Eugene how bout I treat you to breakfast? Offers open to anybody, I'm a feeling generous" says to the room but focused on Tybalt's associates foremost (i.e the player party). "MacRegan if were doing a simple potter field burial why not let our new members sleep in and then let them handle the digging?" Tybalt suggests to MacRegan.

MacRegan looks at Tybalt. "I don't much care who digs the graves so long as the corpses get buried, and buried soon. They're already ripe, and soon enough the stink will be unbearable. Can I leave the details with you? After breakfast I'd like to leave for Tucson and see Clary buried. Also I think the Sheriff and I need to get acquainted. I met Phelps, the Marshal up there, before I came here, and it looks as if he's gonna be as useless as tits on a bull in this matter. I need you to take charge here while I'm gone. I plan to take Juan, Eugene, and the Swede with me, as well as a local driver. Should be back late tonight or early tomorrow. All right?" With that MacRegan continues to the Yellow Rose where he orders a steak and eggs, and a coffee. Lost in his thoughts he silently eats his meal and doesn't share in the deputies' conversation...

"I'll take you on that offer...and I'll return the favour as soon as I've got some money", Juan grins at Tybalt. "Letting someone else do the digging sounds fine by me, too."

Lars gratefully tags along with the Yellow Rose with MacRegan. He looks over the menu and orders something filling.

Tybalt makes a mental note to come back to the Marshall's office and arrange the burial details with the still sleeping members. He then heads off to the Yellow Rose with the group he's treating to breakfast. Tybalt is interested in a simple omelette with toasted coffee and getting the news of the day.

Corbin heads to the Cactus Flower instead, telling Crenshaw he'll meet him back at the Marshall's office.

Tybalt makes a mental note to come back to the Marshall's office and arrange the burial details with the still sleeping members. He then heads off to the Yellow Rose with the group he's treating to breakfast. Tybalt is interested in a simple omelette with toasted coffee and getting the news of the day.

Eugene likewise heads to the Yellow Rose, needing both water and food...

MacRegan, Tybalt, Lars, Eugene, and Juan enter the Yellow Rose Saloon via bat-wing doors and find it quiet and nearly empty. The barkeep, Pete Benson, looks up with interest and brushes his hands on his clean white apron. The smell of fresh sawdust pervades the saloon and the stink of last night's vomit only minimally intrudes upon the ambience.

"Kinda early, but only a fool turns away a paying customer," says Pete, "and I'm no fool. Sit where you like." The bar at the Yellow Rose Saloon runs across two-thirds of the north end of the room, just inside from the bat-wing entrance doors. Aside from the bar, there are about a dozen tables and a piano on the east side of the room which no one is presently playing and bears up under a thick layer of dust that may just mean no one has ever played it. Whether it's in tune, who knows.

Pete takes MacRegan's order of steak, eggs, and coffee and Tybalt's order of an omelette and coffee and remarks that it'll be a few minutes as he's all alone at the moment. "None of the Mexican gals'll be here for a little while yet. I wasn't expecting nobody at daybreak." He sees Lars is visibly hungry and suggests the same breakfast that MacRegan just ordered, adding, "You're in luck, all of you, on account of I just happen to have some eggs I got from the Obradors just the other day, otherwise you'd just have to settle for steak and Arbuckle's."

To Eugene and Juan, Pete says, "How about you make your orders now so I can attend to it all at the same time? You'd be doing me a favor since I got no help at the moment. I'll even shave a nickel off the bill if you don't complain about having to look at me instead of them pretty li'l Mexican gals."

You smell the mouth-watering blend of fresh son-of-a-gun stew, corned beef hash, and sourdough pancakes wafting out onto Main Street even as you approach the Cactus Flower restaurant. Inside, you see Pa Sommer at his table reading his Book of Mormon. Betsy Sommer's eyes light up as she sees you enter and in her excitement she nearly spills buttermilk on a tradesman. Pa Sommer gets up and approaches you, saying, "So the errant gentile is back. Have you and your associates started looking into the matter of Ezekiel Haslam as we discussed the other day?"

"Men please order what you want I'll pick up the bill" Tybalt says to the group.

when Pete returns with the food. Tybalt asks Pete, "So what's going on in town I been gone for the last few days?"

"Men please order what you want I'll pick up the bill" Tybalt says to the group.

when Pete returns with the food. Tybalt asks Pete, "So what's going on in town I been gone for the last few days?"

"Much obliged, boss", Eugene says. Looking to Pete, he says, "Steak and eggs, coffee. Biscuits. Water. Please, and thank you."

"Sure, sounds good," Lars said. "Steak, eggs and coffee for me too, please."

Corbin nods at Betty with a clumsy smile, before turning his attention to Pa Sommers.

"We haven't had the time yet, there's a nasty crowd we're trying to chase out of the town and I had to help gather some men. Truth told Sir I came here for breakfast and..." he fears Sommer's repsonse "...for moral counsel"

MacRegan tucks into the steak once it arrives. In the mean time, he will sip his coffee and look around the Yellow Rose to see who else is in here.

"Much obliged, boss", Eugene says. Looking to Pete, he says, "Steak and eggs, coffee. Biscuits. Water. Please, and thank you."
"Sure, sounds good," Lars said. "Steak, eggs and coffee for me too, please."
I'll assume Juan ordered the same as we haven't heard from AsenRG AsenRG.
Tybalt asks Pete, "So what's going on in town I been gone for the last few days?"
"You mean aside from the Blue Bandana Gang robbing the bank?" asks Pete. "A mean-looking cuss dressed in black was in town yesterday or the day before. Called himself McCord and said he was looking for an hombre by the name of Crenshaw. If you're interested in women's news, folks also say that Mormon gal Betsy Sommer's got herself a fiancé. Other than that, it's been hot and dry." He ducks back into the kitchen to start cooking.
MacRegan tucks into the steak once it arrives. In the mean time, he will sip his coffee and look around the Yellow Rose to see who else is in here.
MacRegan glances around the nearly empty saloon and realizes Pete wasn't exaggerating about the lack of early morning clientele. However, just as he returns from the kitchen with your food, you hear a wagon or buckboard stop in the street outside and presently a couple of clean-shaven, well-dressed men enter the saloon, brushing trail dust off their hats and clothing. They sidle up to the bar and order whiskey and you overhear them mention they just arrived from Arizona City.* Neither of them look down on their luck and the younger-looking of the two flips a shiny gold coin across the bar to Pete.
Luke Gentry.png
Hank Rutherford.jpg
* Now known as Yuma, Arizona City is in 1870 the second-largest city in Arizona.

Corbin nods at Betty with a clumsy smile, before turning his attention to Pa Sommers.

"We haven't had the time yet, there's a nasty crowd we're trying to chase out of the town and I had to help gather some men. Truth told Sir I came here for breakfast and..." he fears Sommer's repsonse "...for moral counsel"
"Moral counsel, is it?" Pa Sommer looks skeptical but gestures for you to take a seat opposite him at a table by the window. "Have you turned away from the wicked path of alcholol, guns, and loose women?"

"Moral counsel, is it?" Pa Sommer looks skeptical but gestures for you to take a seat opposite him at a table by the window. "Have you turned away from the wicked path of alcholol, guns, and loose women?"
"Well I was never one for loose women Sir. As for alcohol I don't think I'm worse than the average fella, but you probably take a dim view of the average fella, so I'll accept that one. No it's precisely the wicked path of the gun. We..." he looks around to see if anybody is listening "...that is to say myself and a friend, both working for the law, we had to gun down a young man in the course of our services to the community. It's hard to look at that and just accept it's right. If we had to gun down a young man sorting this Haslam out, what would you think of that?"

Last edited:
"Well I was never one for loose women Sir. As for alcohol I don't think I'm worse than the average fella, but you probably take a dim view of the average fella, so I'll accept that one. No it's precisely the wicked path of the gun. We..." he looks around to see if anybody is listening "...that is to say myself and friend, both working for the law, we had to gun down a young man in the course of our services to the community. It's hard to look at that and just accept it's right. If we had to gun down a young man sorting this Haslam out, what would you think of that?"
Fire flashes in Pa Sommer's eyes as he replies, "Son, I don't like killing but if it be God's will to put a young man's life in the way of justice, He knows what He is doing and all you or I can do is trust in Him. Who's to say the young man you gunned down wasn't set on an evil course and you weren't merely the Lord's chosen instrument of vengeance?"

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back