Boot Hill: Pima County

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
OOC: does Tybalt know Pa sommer? I'm gonna use context clues and have Tybalt treat him with respect he'd give to any man who had a weapon aimed at him.

IC: Tybalt sets down his half of the body and steps in front his two employees as he slowly approaches the man."If by 'disposing of evidence' you mean carrying a body to the Marshall's office and giving eyewitness accounts of the duel we just saw, good sir" Tybalt says in a loud voice. " Furthermore why are you carrying a shotgun this evening?" Tybalt asks trying to divert the armed man's train of thought.
Eugene slowly sets down the dead man's legs. He acts deliberately and tries not to present a threat. His mind makes the calculation as to whether he should draw on the man, or let Crenshaw talk him down. Right now, he is of a mind to let Crenshaw reason with the man. After all, they have done no wrong.

OOC: does Tybalt know Pa sommer? I'm gonna use context clues and have Tybalt treat him with respect he'd give to any man who had a weapon aimed at him.

IC: Tybalt sets down his half of the body and steps in front his two employees as he slowly approaches the man."If by 'disposing of evidence' you mean carrying a body to the Marshall's office and giving eyewitness accounts of the duel we just saw, good sir" Tybalt says in a loud voice. " Furthermore why are you carrying a shotgun this evening?" Tybalt asks trying to divert the armed man's train of thought.
Eugene slowly sets down the dead man's legs. He acts deliberately and tries not to present a threat. His mind makes the calculation as to whether he should draw on the man, or let Crenshaw talk him down. Right now, he is of a mind to let Crenshaw reason with the man. After all, they have done no wrong.
Corbin holds in his rage, waiting to see what reaction Crenshaw's words get
Corbin knows Pa Sommer, but I don't think Eugene and Tybalt have actually met him before.

"What you Gentiles do to each other most decidedly does not concern me," says Pa Sommer with clear hostility, "but when you involve my daughter it most decidedly does." He eyes Corbin and says, "Betsy tells me you killed that young man for sport and told her that's what you would do to me if I didn't let you marry her."
Pa Sommer.jpg
Pa Sommer

Taking a sip from the glass, MacRegan tells Sheriff Ott the whole sordid business of why he's down here so far from home, showing him the warrant, and the US, and local, Government's authorisation for him to operate here. "I really don't know what the locals want.
No Sheriff, I've got my own duties to perform up north. Besides, I'm sure the Dominion Police wouldn't be amused if a senior Inspector were to defect to the Yankees." he says with a chuckle and a wink. "But theres's a man in my posse that might be right for the job. He's as green as the grass when it comes to policing, but I think he has the drive and and ambition that would make him a fine lawman. Let me see how things play out once the dust settles. If I think he's worth his salt I'll drop in on my way north and let you know his name."
"I can't imagine it was that lazy-looking blond loafer, so it must of been the Mex," observes Sheriff Ott. "Maybe this will be his opportunity--if Saguaro will accept a Mex marshal." He inhales deeply and blows smoke rings to the ceiling before remarking, "I expect you have more in mind than dropping off a corpse and a couple of bandits in need of a hanging."

Nah, Lars is still worried about making a fool of himself trying to smoke, so he'll go to the hotel.
Hotel first. The Northerner wanted some time off with his colleague, that much was obvious.
The two of you cross busy Congress Street, where a team of horses pulling a clapboard wagon nearly runs you down, and enter through the wide, iron-clamped oaken door of the Grand Palace Hotel.
Grand Palace.jpg

Inside is a large dining area before an equally large bar. Among the tables you see numerous card and dice games being played: Three-Card Monte, Chuck-A-Luck, High Dice, even a Faro bank.
Faro-in-Tonopah-Nevada-1905.jpg

Raucous laughter can be heard over the voluble chatter; you can barely hear the tinkle of a piano near the stairs that lead up to rooms for rent. Beer, wine, and whiskey flow freely all around you. Of even greater interest is the sheer number of women present: the ratio in the Grand Palace Hotel seems to be about one woman for every five men, far more than you're used to out there in the Territory. Some are serving girls, some seem to be patrons, and a few you suspect could be painted ladies judging from their frilly attire meant to display their wares and the way they hover near and on the stairs. All in all, it seems a hedonist's paradise--if the hedonist is flush with cash.

One woman watches your entry with a mix of curiosity and suspicion playing upon her eyes. Standing beside her is Eustace Coltrane, the young boy from the wagon you helped earlier. Eustace points at the two of you and says something in the woman's ear as she bends to listen.
Fiona Parker.jpg

Last edited:
"I can't imagine it was that lazy-looking blond loafer, so it must of been the Mex," observes Sheriff Ott. "Maybe this will be his opportunity--if Saguaro will accept a Mex marshal." He inhales deeply and blows smoke rings to the ceiling before remarking, "I expect you have more in mind than dropping off a corpse and a couple of bandits in need of a hanging."

The two of you cross busy Congress Street, where a team of horses pulling a clapboard wagon nearly runs you down, and enter through the wide, iron-clamped oaken door of the Grand Palace Hotel.

Inside is a large dining area before an equally large bar. Among the tables you see numerous card and dice games being played: Three-Card Monte, Chuck-A-Luck, High Dice, even a Faro bank.

Raucous laughter can be heard over the voluble chatter; you can barely hear the tinkle of a piano near the stairs that lead up to rooms for rent. Beer, wine, and whiskey flow freely all around you. Of even greater interest is the sheer number of women present: the ratio in the Grand Palace Hotel seems to be about one woman for every five men, far more than you're used to out there in the Territory. Some are serving girls, some seem to be patrons, and a few you suspect could be painted ladies judging from their frilly attire meant to display their wares and the way they hover near and on the stairs. All in all, it seems a hedonist's paradise--if the hedonist is flush with cash.

One woman watches your entry with a mix of curiosity and suspicion playing upon her eyes. Standing beside her is Eustace Coltrane, the young boy from the wagon you helped earlier. Eustace points at the two of you and says something in the woman's ear as she bends to listen.
"Good day, Ma'am", Juan greets politely, tipping his hat. Then he turns towards the boy.

"Told you we're going to come, young Eustace. Is this nice lady the one we should talk to about rooms for us two and the Inspector?"

"Although both are steady lads, well, if truth be told, it's neither one, but let's not get a head of ourselves" MacRegan softly chuckles at the thought of nervous Lars with his Swedish accent yelling at some Mexican desperado. "You're a man after my own heart Sheriff. No beating around the bush, eh? In addition to the corpses I came for the reward money, and to see if you could spare any men, or suggest any that might be willing to hire on as deputies. The arrangement will be the same as with my posse. All reward money will be split up, save for the ones on Josiah McCoy and William Jones. This will go to the kin of the dead constables." Taking a pull from his cigar he blows out the smoke slowly looking closely a Sheriff Ott's reaction.

Lars lifts his hat to the woman and mumbles a polite greeting.

"Betsy tells me you killed that young man for sport and told her that's what you would do to me if I didn't let you marry her."

Tybalt will continue to stand between Pa Sommers and the gang, "Good sir, I might not know all the particulars of why this happened but I can confirm that It was indeed the fallen who did fire first If this were sport then it were the deceased who baited my man here into a duel" Tybalt says in a calm even tone to the angry man with a shotgun.

"What you Gentiles do to each other most decidedly does not concern me," says Pa Sommer with clear hostility, "but when you involve my daughter it most decidedly does." He eyes Corbin and says, "Betsy tells me you killed that young man for sport and told her that's what you would do to me if I didn't let you marry her."
"Tabarnak..." Corbin curses under his breath "...your daughter goaded this man into attacking me and I was forced to defend myself! He was a fool alright, but I'm not interested in anybody's death, certainly not yours old man. I've no interest in marrying a woman that acts like a lunatic"

"Tabarnak..." Corbin curses under his breath "...your daughter goaded this man into attacking me and I was forced to defend myself! He was a fool alright, but I'm not interested in anybody's death, certainly not yours old man. I've no interest in marrying a woman that acts like a lunatic"

Eugene winces involuntarily at Corbin's prodding of the girl's agitated father.

Tybalt will continue to stand between Pa Sommers and the gang, "Good sir, I might not know all the particulars of why this happened but I can confirm that It was indeed the fallen who did fire first If this were sport then it were the deceased who baited my man here into a duel" Tybalt says in a calm even tone to the angry man with a shotgun.
Eugene winces involuntarily at Corbin's prodding of the girl's agitated father.
Pa Sommers goes red in the face and spits a little as he says, "I'll not stand here and have you call my daughter a liar and a lunatic! You'll not be marrying her! Furthermore, you're fortunate I haven't more kinfolk in these parts or else we'd surely hang you from the highest tree for your insults!" He storms away unless you do something to stop him.

"Good day, Ma'am", Juan greets politely, tipping his hat. Then he turns towards the boy.

"Told you we're going to come, young Eustace. Is this nice lady the one we should talk to about rooms for us two and the Inspector?"
"This here's my aunt Fiona," Eustace replies. "She owns this place. She ain't married, neither."
Lars lifts his hat to the woman and mumbles a polite greeting.
"Fiona Parker. Pleased to make your acquaintance," she replies in a soft, euphonious voice as she dangles a frilly-gloved hand out to you in a ladylike manner. "Eustace tells me you assisted him and his grandfather en route to Tucson. I'd be surprised you'd stop to help a pair of Negroes except I can tell one of you is Mexican and the other is from...Scandinavia?" She arches one eyebrow in a skeptical expression and adds, "It seems you haven't assimilated enough native prejudice. You say you need a room? For how long?"
"Although both are steady lads, well, if truth be told, it's neither one, but let's not get a head of ourselves" MacRegan softly chuckles at the thought of nervous Lars with his Swedish accent yelling at some Mexican desperado. "You're a man after my own heart Sheriff. No beating around the bush, eh? In addition to the corpses I came for the reward money, and to see if you could spare any men, or suggest any that might be willing to hire on as deputies. The arrangement will be the same as with my posse. All reward money will be split up, save for the ones on Josiah McCoy and William Jones. This will go to the kin of the dead constables." Taking a pull from his cigar he blows out the smoke slowly looking closely a Sheriff Ott's reaction.
"I could spare two deputies but no more. Don't have that many to begin with." Sheriff Off leafs through a few papers from his files and notes, "Seems these Randazzos are wanted in Lincoln County. Five hundred dollars for each of them." He hands you a small stack of wanted posters.
CHET.png
EARL.png
FATS.png
OLLIE.png
"Which ones did you say you brung in? They all look like they got hit with the same ugly stick to me. Well, I'm guessing you don't want to ride all the way to New Mexico to collect, but I have an alternative for you. If you turn over the prisoners to me, the Pima County Treasury could pay out now and I can have them send a rider to Lincoln County to collect reimbursement."

ooc: Waiting to see if any of the others have any more interactions before my character acts again. Greatly enjoying the how all this is unfolding by the way, I was just hoping to do a little character building with side quests wasn't expecting this.

"There's so many kinds of folk in America, ma'am, that I ain't had time to learn who I'm meant to be prejudiced against," Lars says good-naturedly. "Back home, I knew who was better than who. 'Course, it was pretty easy, on account of pretty much everyone being better than me."

He scratches his head.

"I don't know, a couple of days? Not too long, I think."

"Oh? Well then, good day, Miss...Parker, is it? You have a nice establishment here!", Juan said, tipping his hat to the lady.
Well, she might be one of those ladies, he didn't know...but his madre - and especially his abuela - had thought him, in a rather strict and Bible-derived manner, to respect todos las mujeres, sin excepcion. Even those women are still to be protected, except when they don't want to be due to having to ply their trade.
"My name is Juan de la Oyo. You can call me just Juan, though, if you wish."
He grinned.
"I'll let you know that all the northerners are weird. But our Lars, here, and the Inspector - who is going to come sooner or later - are nice people. And having to explain the meaning of "gringo" to an actual gringo amused me to no end".

"I could spare two deputies but no more. Don't have that many to begin with." Sheriff Off leafs through a few papers from his files and notes, "Seems these Randazzos are wanted in Lincoln County. Five hundred dollars for each of them." He hands you a small stack of wanted posters.
"Which ones did you say you brung in? They all look like they got hit with the same ugly stick to me. Well, I'm guessing you don't want to ride all the way to New Mexico to collect, but I have an alternative for you. If you turn over the prisoners to me, the Pima County Treasury could pay out now and I can have them send a rider to Lincoln County to collect reimbursement."
"Two Deputies would be grand Sheriff. I certainly appreciate the help. The more men we have the quicker we can resolve this business." MacRegan takes a pull on his cigar and another sip from his glass, and checking to see if the sheriff's glass needs replenishing. "I certainly will turn over the prisoners to you and take the money. My lads have been through a bit already, and I'd like to pay up some to keep everyone 'motivated,' if you get my meaning? How do you want to handle the payment for your boys? Shall I give you their cut to hand out, or should I give it to them direct?
What about the two that killed Clary, Buckskin Johnny and Honcho? Any papers out on them?

Pa Sommers goes red in the face and spits a little as he says, "I'll not stand here and have you call my daughter a liar and a lunatic! You'll not be marrying her! Furthermore, you're fortunate I haven't more kinfolk in these parts or else we'd surely hang you from the highest tree for your insults!" He storms away unless you do something to stop him.
Corbin has had enough. He follows after Sommers.

"Listen old man! Hang me? Who do you think you are? I am trying to warn you. That girl will get herself in serious trouble, she's not ready to mix with..." he considers his words "...folks as worldly..." he says with a strong emphasis "...as the those here in Saguaro. They're liable to twist her innocence and get her mixed up in situations like the one just there now.

Think...if it hadn't been me. Somebody more trigger happy might have shot up her and that idiot for provoking them.

She doesn't know who she's mixing with"

Corbin has had enough. He follows after Sommers.

"Listen old man! Hang me? Who do you think you are? I am trying to warn you. That girl will get herself in serious trouble, she's not ready to mix with..." he considers his words "...folks as worldly..." he says with a strong emphasis "...as the those here in Saguaro. They're liable to twist her innocence and get her mixed up in situations like the one just there now.

Think...if it hadn't been me. Somebody more trigger happy might have shot up her and that idiot for provoking them.

She doesn't know who she's mixing with"
"You got some nerve, boy!" says Pa Sommer. "You're the one who's been corrupting my daughter and now you want to blame her for the consequences. Until you drifted into town with your seductions and sinful ideas, there was never a problem! This is why we should never mix with Gentiles! You'd best believe I'll be sending a letter to the high council stake asking them to send some boys down here, and you'd best not step foot inside the Cactus Flower if you know what's good for you! Be glad there's no marshal in town!" Pa Sommer storms off unless you follow.

"There's so many kinds of folk in America, ma'am, that I ain't had time to learn who I'm meant to be prejudiced against," Lars says good-naturedly. "Back home, I knew who was better than who. 'Course, it was pretty easy, on account of pretty much everyone being better than me."

He scratches his head.

"I don't know, a couple of days? Not too long, I think."
"Oh? Well then, good day, Miss...Parker, is it? You have a nice establishment here!", Juan said, tipping his hat to the lady.
Well, she might be one of those ladies, he didn't know...but his madre - and especially his abuela - had thought him, in a rather strict and Bible-derived manner, to respect todos las mujeres, sin excepcion. Even those women are still to be protected, except when they don't want to be due to having to ply their trade.
"My name is Juan de la Oyo. You can call me just Juan, though, if you wish."
He grinned.
"I'll let you know that all the northerners are weird. But our Lars, here, and the Inspector - who is going to come sooner or later - are nice people. And having to explain the meaning of "gringo" to an actual gringo amused me to no end".

"You boys are in luck," says Miss Parker, "because all that matters in the Grand Palace is that your legal tender is genuine and you don't break anything you don't plan to buy. How many rooms do you need, and how many girls?" She looks Lars up and down and remarks, "You look like you're in need of an education by an experienced woman."

"Two Deputies would be grand Sheriff. I certainly appreciate the help. The more men we have the quicker we can resolve this business." MacRegan takes a pull on his cigar and another sip from his glass, and checking to see if the sheriff's glass needs replenishing. "I certainly will turn over the prisoners to you and take the money. My lads have been through a bit already, and I'd like to pay up some to keep everyone 'motivated,' if you get my meaning? How do you want to handle the payment for your boys? Shall I give you their cut to hand out, or should I give it to them direct?
What about the two that killed Clary, Buckskin Johnny and Honcho? Any papers out on them?
"Bank won't be open till sun-up, so you'll need to bunk down overnight at least," says Sheriff Ott. "As for my deputies, they're paid by the County of Pima to do their jobs and are no more entitled nor eligible to receive reward money than I. I have nothing vis-à-vis any 'Buckskin Johnny' or 'Honcho de la Vega,' thought doubtless they deserve to hang. Do you happen to know their legal names?"

Lars blushes furiously. True, this is the land of the free and all, but... he's still got the sermons he heard from the priest at home ringing in his ears, about how fornication got you sent to Hell. Lars doesn't want to be sent to Hell. The devils probably make you work all the time and don't even give you Sundays off.

"Er, three rooms, but no girls," he says. He smiles sheepishly. "We're on a budget, see."

"You boys are in luck," says Miss Parker, "because all that matters in the Grand Palace is that your legal tender is genuine and you don't break anything you don't plan to buy. How many rooms do you need, and how many girls?" She looks Lars up and down and remarks, "You look like you're in need of an education by an experienced woman."

"Bank won't be open till sun-up, so you'll need to bunk down overnight at least," says Sheriff Ott. "As for my deputies, they're paid by the County of Pima to do their jobs and are no more entitled nor eligible to receive reward money than I. I have nothing vis-à-vis any 'Buckskin Johnny' or 'Honcho de la Vega,' thought doubtless they deserve to hang. Do you happen to know their legal names?"
"That he is", Juan confirms, answering her remark. "Alas, the other part is also true. Ah well. The inspector might reconsider this when he comes, of course; it depends on him".

Tybalt watches Pa sommers fade into the night before talking. "Ah, well that's trouble for the morrow, best we finish hauling this thing off to the Lawman's office and figure out how this trouble came to pass" Tybalt says in a uncle like tone. Tybalt goes back to lift his end of the body.

Tybalt watches Pa sommers fade into the night before talking. "Ah, well that's trouble for the morrow, best we finish hauling this thing off to the Lawman's office and figure out how this trouble came to pass" Tybalt says in a uncle like tone. Tybalt goes back to lift his end of the body.

Eugene, relaxing somewhat, picks up the fallen man's legs. He stays vigilant, in case the furious man should come back. He's seen more than one man return to settle scores after a slight, real or perceived, had been given time to settle uncomfortably in their gut.

"Be mindful he don't come back", he warns his companions. He says nothing further, save a silent prayer.

Corbin goes to shout at Sommers, pissed at his continued nonsense. It decides to let it go, old man just won't give in.

"Alright" Corbin says lifting the other side of the body with Crenshaw.

Eugene, relaxing somewhat, picks up the fallen man's legs. He stays vigilant, in case the furious man should come back. He's seen more than one man return to settle scores after a slight, real or perceived, had been given time to settle uncomfortably in their gut.

"Be mindful he don't come back", he warns his companions. He says nothing further, save a silent prayer.
Corbin goes to shout at Sommers, pissed at his continued nonsense. It decides to let it go, old man just won't give in.

"Alright" Corbin says lifting the other side of the body with Crenshaw.
Pa Sommers recedes into the distance as the three of you lug the dead body to the town marshal's office. Inside the office you find your hired hands Aaron Armbruster, Abel Armbruster, Carlos Jiménez de Zamora, Octavio Jiménez de Texada, and Pablo Jiménez de Cisneros sitting on the wooden floor of an empty cell playing cards. Amid them is an upside-down hat they are using as the pot for their wagers, which you judge to be small based on what little is in the hat. All five are shirtless and drenched in sweat and you realize it's going to be a short but hot night. They look up as you enter and seem to be waiting on you to give them another job to do, until they see the body you're carrying inside.

"Kilt another bandido?" asks Aaron.

"¡Oye! We miss all the fun!" remarks Pablo.
Aaron and Abel Armbruster.jpg
Aaron and Abel

Cousins.jpg
Carlos, Octavio, and Pablo

I believe we are waiting on Shemek hiTankolel Shemek hiTankolel to speak for MacRegan, but meanwhile...
Lars blushes furiously. True, this is the land of the free and all, but... he's still got the sermons he heard from the priest at home ringing in his ears, about how fornication got you sent to Hell. Lars doesn't want to be sent to Hell. The devils probably make you work all the time and don't even give you Sundays off.

"Er, three rooms, but no girls," he says. He smiles sheepishly. "We're on a budget, see."
"That he is", Juan confirms, answering her remark. "Alas, the other part is also true. Ah well. The inspector might reconsider this when he comes, of course; it depends on him".
"You needn't be embarrassed, sugar," says Miss Parker to Lars, "lots of boys are in the same boat as you. I expect there's but one woman to every dozen men in these parts--the Grand Palace excluded, of course--and half of them are Mex or Injun besides." She leans down to whisper something in Eustace's ear and winks at Lars, then she begins to ascend the lushly carpeted staircase, then turns, stops, rests an arm on the banister, and says to you both, "Please follow me upstairs to your accommodations." With a smirk she adds, "I daresay they will be acceptable even to men of your station."

I'll leave off there for now in case you decide not to follow her for some reason.

I believe we are waiting on Shemek hiTankolel Shemek hiTankolel to speak for MacRegan, but meanwhile...
"You needn't be embarrassed, sugar," says Miss Parker to Lars, "lots of boys are in the same boat as you. I expect there's but one woman to every dozen men in these parts--the Grand Palace excluded, of course--and half of them are Mex or Injun besides." She leans down to whisper something in Eustace's ear and winks at Lars, then she begins to ascend the lushly carpeted staircase, then turns, stops, rests an arm on the banister, and says to you both, "Please follow me upstairs to your accommodations." With a smirk she adds, "I daresay they will be acceptable even to men of your station."

I'll leave off there for now in case you decide not to follow her for some reason.
"I see nothing wrong with Mexican women. One might even say I'm rather fond of them", Juan observes, climbing the stairs to the accommodation. "Injun...ah well, it might give me pause at first, but it depends on what she's like, if you ask me."

Lars follows, trying to fight the feeling that the flames of Perdition are licking at the soles of his feet.

" Your guess is as good as mine Sheriff. I have no doubt that they have papers out on them. In Fort Garry we have a book where we keep a copy of Wanted Posters in. Do you have something similar? I'll look through it if you do. Maybe something will come up. I sure would like to give the reward money to Marshall Clary's kin. Small recompense, but better than naught."

"Kilt another bandido?" asks Aaron.

"¡Oye! We miss all the fun!" remarks Pablo.
View attachment 19764
Aaron and Abel

View attachment 19765
Carlos, Octavio, and Pablo

Tybalt responds to the question, a hint of weariness entering his voice as the threat of immediate danger diminishes "Bandito? perhaps more like a local quarrelsome hotshot picking a fight with a real gunfighter". Tybalt moves the body to the most secluded corner of the small office. "But I only saw the tail end, the actual duel, Corbin If you would be so kind as to tell how all this sorrowful business came to pass?"

"I see nothing wrong with Mexican women. One might even say I'm rather fond of them", Juan observes, climbing the stairs to the accommodation. "Injun...ah well, it might give me pause at first, but it depends on what she's like, if you ask me."
Lars follows, trying to fight the feeling that the flames of Perdition are licking at the soles of his feet.
Miss Parker shows you to three doors at the end of the hall on the second story. She gestures to two doors on the right, numbered 8 and 10, and a third on the left numbered 9, and says, "These two have an adjoining door that you can keep locked or not as you desire. The going rate is two dollars a night, but seeing as you done a favor for Eustace I'll let you have them for half that." She hands three keys to Juan, with fobs numbered 8, 9, and 10, corresponding to the numbers on the room doors. "So an Injun girl for you, then?" she remarks to Juan as she turns to go back downstairs.

"Your guess is as good as mine Sheriff. I have no doubt that they have papers out on them. In Fort Garry we have a book where we keep a copy of Wanted Posters in. Do you have something similar? I'll look through it if you do. Maybe something will come up. I sure would like to give the reward money to Marshall Clary's kin. Small recompense, but better than naught."
Sheriff Ott takes a large leatherbound book out of a drawer and pushes it across the desk to MacRegan. It bulges with loose papers, some folded, some torn: warrants and wanted posters and fliers dating back at least three years from the look of it. "Could be in there, but a lot of them have no corresponding photograph. That and these men going by any number of false names means a goodly number of these posters are about as useful as a one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest. You can look it over here, or you can take it over to your room if you guarantee its safe return."

OOC: You have no idea how hard it was not to answer "no thanks, I'll just stay with Lars, here".
IC: "What?", an utterly surprised Juan answered. Then he turned to Lars:
"Didn't we tell her no girls? Is my English that bad?"

"Errrrrr..." says Lars, who very much doesn't want to offend anyone but isn't sure how to avoid it.

Sheriff Ott takes a large leatherbound book out of a drawer and pushes it across the desk to MacRegan. It bulges with loose papers, some folded, some torn: warrants and wanted posters and fliers dating back at least three years from the look of it. "Could be in there, but a lot of them have no corresponding photograph. That and these men going by any number of false names means a goodly number of these posters are about as useful as a one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest. You can look it over here, or you can take it over to your room if you guarantee its safe return."

"Better I look at it here after supper. I plan to spend the night in Tucson. A good meal and a good night's rest would do me and the boys a world of good. Care to join me for some chow Sheriff? You look a might peckish, and there's a few more questions I'd like to ask. Besides, I don't know where I can get a meal in this town."

Corbin If you would be so kind as to tell how all this sorrowful business came to pass?"
"He was egged on by an idiot and I happened to get lucky. Nothing to celebrate"

Corbin slumps down in the corner next to Bart's body with his head down.

Tybalt lets out a heavy sigh, "Yeah, figured it was something stupid like that, well at least you weren't the one egging on for a duel". Tybalt puts a hand on Corbin shoulder "You defended yourself in and fair duel". "Now does this second idiot got a name? because I already know Pa Sommers is going to be burr in our saddle and I'd like to keep track of all our ill wishers".

Tybalt lets out a heavy sigh, "Yeah, figured it was something stupid like that, well at least you weren't the one egging on for a duel". Tybalt puts a hand on Corbin shoulder "You defended yourself in and fair duel". "Now does this second idiot got a name? because I already know Pa Sommers is going to be burr in our saddle and I'd like to keep track of all our ill wishers".
"Thanks Mr. Crenshaw" Corbin says as the hand is placed on his shoulder.

"His name was Bart, worked up at Big Jim's. You might have met him at the mess hall. I loudmouth for sure and probably would have ended up in a situation like this at some point anyway, but still...." he trails off.

"Bart eh, we'll I keep an idea out for loudmouths and you try to keep one eye ahead and behind you when you're in town. Loudmouths have a way of getting the drop on you when your not watching". Tybalt then slouches down on to the floor on the other side of the the deceased and lowers his hat over his face and begins to doze off for the night.

OOC: You have no idea how hard it was not to answer "no thanks, I'll just stay with Lars, here".
IC: "What?", an utterly surprised Juan answered. Then he turned to Lars:
"Didn't we tell her no girls? Is my English that bad?"
"Errrrrr..." says Lars, who very much doesn't want to offend anyone but isn't sure how to avoid it.
Apparently mistaking Lars' grunt for disappointment, Miss Parker calls back, "Don't worry, I have someone special in mind for you as well." You catch her wink just before she disappears down the stairs and you're not entirely sure whether she is putting you on.

Inside you find the rooms to be little more than four walls, a bed, a bureau with mounted mirror, and a bedside nightstand. A small wash basin and clean towels lie upon a small corner table near the bureau, and from the window you have a view of the street out front should you choose to move aside the chintz curtains. The bed itself has clean sheets and large down pillows.

Each of the rooms is essentially the same, except these two have an adjoining door with a lock on it, with a key in the lock, and the room across the hall has no window.

"Better I look at it here after supper. I plan to spend the night in Tucson. A good meal and a good night's rest would do me and the boys a world of good. Care to join me for some chow Sheriff? You look a might peckish, and there's a few more questions I'd like to ask. Besides, I don't know where I can get a meal in this town."
"If you don't mind a little local color, I suggest we mosey over to the Grand Palace. For one thing, not much else is open unless you want Mex food; for another they got them a Negro chef who learned his trade in Paris, if you can believe that. I expect your deputies will be hankering after some chuck after your long ride, so feel free to invite them if you like."

Last edited:
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back