Boot Hill: Pima County

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
"Sure thing, nice simple food for the trail is a good idea. don't want a bout of indigestion from some fancy cream such gone off" Tybalt hands either Aaron or Abel (he still isn't sure which is which) a few bills to cover a meal for the group. "Alright everyone start a checking your gear" Tybalt says to the group.

"¡Claro que sí!" replies Carlos. "In Pimería Alta, one must fear the sun more than a man."

"If somebody can front a couple dollars, me an' Abel will rustle up some grub for all o' us an' see if we can't track down that preacher man," volunteers Aaron. "Mex food'll be cheapest less 'n' any o' you got objections."

"I ain't never been a picky eater anyhow, that's be just fine", Eugene says, fishing a couple of dollar coins.out of his pocket.

Juan looked past the sheriff's shoulder for a moment, then smiled.
"No, Sheriff. There weren't much fine restaurants where I'm from, nor were we always in means. I can learn how to behave in those, if it becomes necessary...but for tonight, I'm thankful for your expertise in French. My old governess never managed to get more than a few words of it in my head".

OOC: Sorry for the delay; I am doing a lot of OT this week and don't want to half-ass the PBP by posting an update without reading everything and making whatever rolls are needed.

As you wait for your dinner, Sheriff Ott observes, "It seems to me you men have undertaken a Herculean task down Saguaro way. Any of them ranchers thereabouts lending a hand? Seems to me it would be to their benefit to clear out any banditry, unless of course they have a percentage in it continuing." He thinks a moment and says to Lars and Juan, "For that matter, while I understand Inspector MacRegan has a personal stake in bringing justice to the murderers of his men, you two boys could just as easily mosey along to the next town. Why risk your necks for strangers?"

Half an hour later, Abel and Aaron Armbruster return with Reverend Culpepper in tow, as well as two full burlap sacks. "I hereby present the Most Holy Reverend Festus Culpepper," says Abel as the man in question glowers at his impertinence. "Even better, I brung four dollars' worth o' beans, hard biscuits, dried meat, dried fruit, some o' that there pan de campo, and coffee. Anybody got a skillet and pot in his saddlebags?"

Carlos observes, "We had best bring some agua in gourds as well. If we go the wrong way, there may be no agua for to drink."

"Strangers, senor? My family has been living in the area of Saguaro - we have changed settlements in this time - for over a century", Juan said politely, even stopping to eat for the time he needed to deliver his line.
"So I say I'm risking my life to make my place safer. Like every man does when necessary".

MacRegan quietly watches the interaction as he eats his steak. Taking a drink of beer, his mind wanders back to his home...

Half an hour later, Abel and Aaron Armbruster return with Reverend Culpepper in tow, as well as two full burlap sacks. "I hereby present the Most Holy Reverend Festus Culpepper," says Abel as the man in question glowers at his impertinence. "Even better, I brung four dollars' worth o' beans, hard biscuits, dried meat, dried fruit, some o' that there pan de campo, and coffee. Anybody got a skillet and pot in his saddlebags?"

Carlos observes, "We had best bring some agua in gourds as well. If we go the wrong way, there may be no agua for to drink."

"Wish I did", Eugene says hungrily.

"Good man" Tybalt says to Abel. "I'll check the stable see if there is a old pan we could you if nothing else".

"Strangers, senor? My family has been living in the area of Saguaro - we have changed settlements in this time - for over a century", Juan said politely, even stopping to eat for the time he needed to deliver his line.
"So I say I'm risking my life to make my place safer. Like every man does when necessary".
MacRegan quietly watches the interaction as he eats his steak. Taking a drink of beer, his mind wanders back to his home...
Sheriff Ott turns to Lars and asks, "How about you, boy? You come West looking for glory?"

The maître d' Jacques-Désiré returns and hands the sheriff an envelope: "Your winnings, monsieur shérif." Sheriff Ott scowls and immediately stuffs the into a pocket inside his vest.

"Wish I did", Eugene says hungrily.
"Good man" Tybalt says to Abel. "I'll check the stable see if there is a old pan we could you if nothing else".
Carlos Jiménez de Zamora and his two cousins follow Tybalt to the stable where they find a couple of young Mexican boys cinching the saddles. The stable stinks of fresh horse manure. Your Mexican deputies roughly push the boys away and skeptically check the contents of the saddlebags to make sure everything is as it should be.

"Nosotros estamos listas para montar, Señor Crenshaw," Carlos says. He nuzzles a horse that is rubbing its head against him and adds, "Estos son buenos caballos por lo que debemos tener cuidado de no matarlos."

Satisfied with the contents of the saddlebags, Octavio Jiménez de Texada remarks, "These boys no steal nothing, it's okay to pay them a little."

Pablo Jiménez de Cisneros adds, "But not too much, or else they become good-for-nada huevónes."

Tybalt sees a rusty skillet and coffee pot, plus a couple of badly dented iron mugs and a broken horseshoe, lying in a pile of sawdust and debris near the stable doors.

Last edited:
"Haha" laughs Tybalt. "If the horses like them then I'm sure they are fine" Tybalt gives each boy a quarter and a nod of approval. Tybalt takes the skillet, coffee pots and mugs and wipes them off before adding them to the pack.

Juan pointedly doesn't react to the scene, and merely keeps chewing, trying to do so politely. A man's gotta earn some bread for his table...and if it goes wih caviar - or steak, here - who can blame a hard-working lawman, as long as order and justice are being maintained?

"Haha" laughs Tybalt. "If the horses like them then I'm sure they are fine" Tybalt gives each boy a quarter and a nod of approval. Tybalt takes the skillet, coffee pots and mugs and wipes them off before adding them to the pack.
F FeralToaster, Gringnr Gringnr, and Séadna Séadna: is there anything that Tybalt, Eugene, and Corbin and their motley posse comitatus want to do in town before heading out? If so, just let me know; if not, just point me in what direction they're headed and I'll update accordingly either way.

Sheriff Ott turns to Lars and asks, "How about you, boy? You come West looking for glory?"

The maître d' Jacques-Désiré returns and hands the sheriff an envelope: "Your winnings, monsieur shérif." Sheriff Ott scowls and immediately stuffs the into a pocket inside his vest.
Juan pointedly doesn't react to the scene, and merely keeps chewing, trying to do so politely. A man's gotta earn some bread for his table...and if it goes wih caviar - or steak, here - who can blame a hard-working lawman, as long as order and justice are being maintained?
Sheriff Ott clears his throat and explains, "The results of a high-stakes card game. Obviously no one wants welsh on a lawman. I generally frown upon gambling, nor do I indulge in such a vice under regular circumstances, but out here you must understand that it won't do for a lawman to appear to place himself in judgment of the citizenry's peccadilloes--it makes one seem Puritanical and detracts from one's authority when it comes to far more serious matters, such as the banditry you're dealing with." After chewing a few delicate morsels and sipping his wine, the sheriff continues, "Speaking of which, I've no doubt the aid of a couple of my trusted deputies is unlikely to affect the equilibrium in your situation; however, it will give your endeavors the color of authority and perhaps give your opponents the impression of more reinforcements to come, which may serve to make them fight shy of Pima County and make their mischief elsewhere."

F FeralToaster, Gringnr Gringnr, and Séadna Séadna: is there anything that Tybalt, Eugene, and Corbin and their motley posse comitatus want to do in town before heading out? If so, just let me know; if not, just point me in what direction they're headed and I'll update accordingly either way.

OOC: I can't think of anything. As per usual, Eugene will be following his boss' lead.

Juan nods understandingly, as if to show that of course, how could there be another explanation?
But other than that, he leaves it to the inspector to answer the magnanimous offer.
Shemek hiTankolel Shemek hiTankolel

ooc: Tybalt talked with his herds care takers yesterday, we already checked where the clergy npc is at, and He did his bag check already. he is good to go.as for direction I say west but if anyone has clues pointing a different way or something by all means we'll go that way.

" 'Judge not lest you be judged.' Doesn't the good book say that? Laws ought to be flexible Sheriff." Inspector MacRegan takes a sip of his beer and continues. "The best law men work within the law, and in my experience those who go by the book, and don't allow any leeway don't last long. Here, as it is up North, we're on the edge of civilisation. Things aren't the same as Montreal or New York, or London or any other big city. We have different rules for the game out here. So long as we're fair, and punish those that hurt others so that honest folk can walk about without fear, then we've done our job. Sometimes knowing when to look the other way is as important as knowing when to act." Pushing his empty plate away from him, MacRegan sits back in his chair, takes out his pipe, and lights it. "Your deputies will be a great addition. I'm not speaking bad about my deputies, they are brave and fine men. They stood up when needed and came through the fire. I couldn't ask for better to stand beside me, but I need some 'real' lawmen as well. Your men fall into that category, and provide the necessary gravitas, if I understand the meaning of that word correctly, to show everyone that the authorities take the situation seriously."

Juan stiffles his desire to give a standing ovation to the speech, and merely nods approvingly to the words of the Inspector.
And he's taking mental notes.

Corbin turns to Tybalt and Eugene.

"I managed to find out the guys we're after are probably hanging out around a mound of rocks outside of town. Looks like a watchtower. La formación rocosa they called. We could ask where it might be and scout out a look.

I got warned though that it's dangerous. Probably best to look from a good distance"

OOC: I think Baeraad isn't on the forum anymore.

"A nice little place to setup up a camp, natural defenses, limited points of entry, yep good place for a smart bandit to a least think about working out of." Tybalt thinks for a moment.

"Yeah, Corbin I think La formación rocosa is worth checking out at least, look for signs of habitation and such. If we find a hornet's nest we'll pull back". Tybalt begins to get on his horse.

Corbin will first ask around town for where exactly La formación rocosa is located. Anybody not familiar with the name he'll describe it as "the big pile of rocks outside of town, sort of like a watchtower". He doesn't stop asking after the first person who gives him a location but will ask three or four people. First to insure he is getting the right directions, but also to get a range of reactions to the place.

After this he will get his horse from where he left it near the sheriff's office and join Tybalt, heading out of town to La formación rocosa.

Corbin will first ask around town for where exactly La formación rocosa is located. Anybody not familiar with the name he'll describe it as "the big pile of rocks outside of town, sort of like a watchtower". He doesn't stop asking after the first person who gives him a location but will ask three or four people. First to insure he is getting the right directions, but also to get a range of reactions to the place.

After this he will get his horse from where he left it near the sheriff's office and join Tybalt, heading out of town to La formación rocosa.

OOC: Eugene would be happy to seek information about the possible hideout as well, tagging along with Corbin. But only if Crenshaw goes. He's not about to leave Tybalt on his own... not with McCord lurking about.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back