Boot Hill: Pima County

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
"Sumbitch shot me in the shoulder", Eugene says angrily, gesturing at Ollie with his rifle. "If'n he hadn't dropped his weapon, I'da kilt him already. Lucky fer him, I don't cotton ta killin' unarmed men, less'n they're exceptionally dangerous. 'N this polecat ain't nothin' of the sort. Like I said, lucky. But don't do anything foolish, now,", he again gestures to Ollie, "cuz I'm still angry enough to forget my manners..."

"Sumbitch shot me in the shoulder", Eugene says angrily, gesturing at Ollie with his rifle. "If'n he hadn't dropped his weapon, I'da kilt him already. Lucky fer him, I don't cotton ta killin' unarmed men, less'n they're exceptionally dangerous. 'N this polecat ain't nothin' of the sort. Like I said, lucky. But don't do anything foolish, now,", he again gestures to Ollie, "cuz I'm still angry enough to forget my manners..."
'Let's get you over by that fire,' Cisco tells the wounded hand, 'and take a look. I've no doubt we can scare up a bottle of who-hit-John around here somewhere.' And heat an iron, Cisco says to himself.

OOC: If Eugene is willing, Cisco will get him over by the campfire, scrounge up some whiskey, and locate something metal - a running iron, a rifle barrel - to heat up and cauterize the wound.

'Let's get you over by that fire,' Cisco tells the wounded hand, 'and take a look. I've no doubt we can scare up a bottle of who-hit-John around here somewhere.' And heat an iron, Cisco says to himself.

OOC: If Eugene is willing, Cisco will get him over by the campfire, scrounge up some whiskey, and locate something metal - a running iron, a rifle barrel - to heat up and cauterize the wound.

"Yep", Eugene says to Cisco, knowing full well what's coming next. "But let's do see if we can find some red-eye first."

As the rest of you round the huge boulder, marching the surviving Randazzo brothers before you, you come upon Lars and what must be the rustlers' camp. The campfire is still burning and it looks as though you came upon them as they were preparing a meal. A black iron pot hangs over the fire, suspended by a wooden tripod and withy, and it smells like jalapeño, bean, and beef chili is cooking. The campfire has been made of dry wood, of which there is plenty stacked nearby, to ensure it gives off little smoke. Near the campfire, a few soogans are spread out alongside some saddlebags. Six saddles have been placed on a handful of knee-high rocks in a near-semi-circle around the edge of the camp. Just beyond the camp you see Lars trying his best to calm about a dozen-and-a-half nervous horses, mostly of good quality but a few obvious broomtails among them, kept in a simple brush corral made by ropes strung between convenient trees. A small, shallow seep lies within the brush corral, allowing the horses as much water as they might need.

"You was supposed to be keepin' watch," Ollie mutters to Chet.

"Weren't my fault! They done snuck up on me like Injuns!" Chet replies.

"They kilt Earl," Ollie angrily remarks.

"What y'all plannin' t' do t' us?" Chet asks.

"There's more horses than men here. We'd best be ready for more shootin'" Eugene says.

"Answer my questions truthfully and you might walk out of here with your hides. Play me false, and you're buzzard food."

OOC: MacRegan will take a look at the horses. Any Chestnuts with RDP brands? I'll wait to see what you say before I continue.

Last edited:
"There's more horses than men here. We'd best be ready for more shootin'" Eugene says.
Cisco nods, looking around for a bottle of whiskey or mezcal for the wounded hand. 'And unless I miss my guess, these aren't the rustlers for whom we're searching. We need to check the brands on those horses, round up arms and supplies, and send out a couple of scouts to see where the trail for the stolen stock leads.' He looks back in the direction of the captured outlaws. 'And properly bind and gag the prisoners.'

"Answer my questions truthfully and you might walk out of here with your hides. Play me false, and you're buzzard food."

MacRegan will take a look at the horses. Any Chestnuts with RDP brands? I'll wait to see what you say before I continue.
Cisco nods, looking around for a bottle of whiskey or mezcal for the wounded hand. 'And unless I miss my guess, these aren't the rustlers for whom we're searching. We need to check the brands on those horses, round up arms and supplies, and send out a couple of scouts to see where the trail for the stolen stock leads.'
After careful observation, the brands MacRegan notes on the horses are as follows: a half-dozen RDP, four J-Bar, three Lazy K, two Rafter C, one Circle Star, one Reverse F, and one TVB Connected. One of the RDP-branded horses is a mare with a tobiano coat, which you know to be Josiah McCoy's preferred mount. Your conclusion is that this is probably a remuda they keep in the

Cisco is in luck as he find one half-empty bottle of mezcal and a full jug of túlapai amongst the saddlebags. Cisco disinfects and binds Eugene's shoulder wound as Eugene bites down on a cottonwood stick.
He looks back in the direction of the captured outlaws. 'And properly bind and gag the prisoners.'
"There ain't no call for that," protests Ollie Randazzo. "I'm a wounded man."

"Yeah, 'n we got rights," adds his brother. "You got no warrant or nothin' agin' us."

"That's right, you come up on our camp 'n start t' killin' men unlawful-like," says Ollie. "You shot first. We just shot back in self-defense."

After careful observation, the brands MacRegan notes on the horses are as follows: a half-dozen RDP, four J-Bar, three Lazy K, two Rafter C, one Circle Star, one Reverse F, and one TVB Connected. One of the RDP-branded horses is a mare with a tobiano coat, which you know to be Josiah McCoy's preferred mount. Your conclusion is that this is probably a remuda they keep in the

Cisco is in luck as he find one half-empty bottle of mezcal and a full jug of túlapai amongst the saddlebags. Cisco disinfects and binds Eugene's shoulder wound as Eugene bites down on a cottonwood stick.

"There ain't no call for that," protests Ollie Randazzo. "I'm a wounded man."

"Yeah, 'n we got rights," adds his brother. "You got no warrant or nothin' agin' us."

"That's right, you come up on our camp 'n start t' killin' men unlawful-like," says Ollie. "You shot first. We just shot back in self-defense."

"That's a right compelling story, but dead men tell no tales. Way I see it, the only rights you got is doin what we say, or gettin' shot. You got a preference, 'cuz if'n you don't, I do."

Cisco nods, looking around for a bottle of whiskey or mezcal for the wounded hand. 'And unless I miss my guess, these aren't the rustlers for whom we're searching. We need to check the brands on those horses, round up arms and supplies, and send out a couple of scouts to see where the trail for the stolen stock leads.' He looks back in the direction of the captured outlaws. 'And properly bind and gag the prisoners.'
"I'll head out at any rate. Some of the boys who can handle a rifle should probably come too"

"Now, I am wondering how it is that you have the Queen's property in your possession? I think that McCoy, and Jones are riding with you. Do you know what else? Aiding and abetting a fugitive is a 5 year stretch of hard labour in her Majesty's Penitionary in Kingston. I can tell you, you'd be better off dead than in there. They'll throw a man that's killed a constable in the deepest hole they can find, and if the rats don't get you, then the consumption will. But you won't see any labour or daylight for 5 years! You'll just rot away.
Now where are McCoy and Jones heading?"

"That's a right compelling story, but dead men tell no tales. Way I see it, the only rights you got is doin what we say, or gettin' shot. You got a preference, 'cuz if'n you don't, I do."
"Leastways you're alive," says Ollie. "Y'all kilt our brother 'n three of our friends."
"You got nothing, unless I give it to ya!"
"Ain't you goin' at least t' bury 'em Christian-like?" asks Chet.
"Now, I am wondering how it is that you have the Queen's property in your possession? I think that McCoy, and Jones are riding with you. Do you know what else? Aiding and abetting a fugitive is a 5 year stretch of hard labour in her Majesty's Penitionary in Kingston. I can tell you, you'd be better off dead than in there. They'll throw a man that's killed a constable in the deepest hole they can find, and if the rats don't get you, then the consumption will. But you won't see any labour or daylight for 5 years! You'll just rot away.
Now where are McCoy and Jones heading?"
"What the hell're you talkin' about?" says Ollie. "There ain't nobody named Queen 'round here 'n we didn't steal them horses. They ain't even ours, right, Chet? Prove they're ours!"

"I'll talk," volunteers Chet, "if'n ya help Ollie's leg 'n promise not to hang us without no trial."

Cisco's impressed by Eugene's grit at the touch of the hot iron, and after covering the wound with a dead man's sleeve, he rejoins the inspector as the prisoners whine.

"What the hell're you talkin' about?" says Ollie. "There ain't nobody named Queen 'round here 'n we didn't steal them horses. They ain't even ours, right, Chet? Prove they're ours!"
'Horses in your camp, your corral,' replies Cisco. 'That's possession under the law. Drawing down on a lawful posse which found you and your fellow skunks camped square on the trail of rustled cattle - that's impeding the law and assault on its representatives.'

"I'll talk," volunteers Chet, "if'n ya help Ollie's leg 'n promise not to hang us without no trial."
Cisco offers a meaningful look at MacRegan. 'No one will be lynched here tonight,' he says evenly.

Tybalt will search the bodies of the dead for clues (letters, telegram, mexican money, etc) and will collect any firearms and ammo. If he finds clues he will share with Macregan ammo he will share with everyone the firearms will be used to pay what owes to the people watching his herd.
After careful observation, the brands MacRegan notes on the horses are as follows: a half-dozen RDP, four J-Bar, three Lazy K, two Rafter C, one Circle Star, one Reverse F, and one TVB Connected. One of the RDP-branded horses is a mare with a tobiano coat, which you know to be Josiah McCoy's preferred mount.
Tybalt is mentally noting all brands for later use. When things calm down he will ask MacRegan about how to handle the horses.

"I should say not! I ain't never lynched anyone in twenty years of keeping the law, even those who may have deserved it." MacRegan replies as he looks at Cisco.
He then turns to Chet with a steely look in his eyes.

"Any punishment will be done in accordance with your laws, and unless I am mistaken horse thieving is a hanging offense on this side of the border as well. You help me find McCoy and Jones and I'll tend to Ollie, and I might even put in a good word with the Marshal. You or your brother sass me again,"

MacRegan emphasises his point by lightly kicking Ollie's wounded leg

"And I'll throw a rope around you and drag you back to Saguaro, and let old Ollie's leg mortify.
Hell, maybe we'll let Eugene give you a good thrashing first. I don't think he appreciated getting shot.
What do you say Eugene? You fancy kicking up some dust with these boys?
Now start talking, I won't ask again. Where are McCoy and Jones heading? Who's riding with them?"

MacRegan then takes out his pipe, lights it and doesn't break eye contact with Chet.

Tybalt will search the bodies of the dead for clues (letters, telegram, mexican money, etc) and will collect any firearms and ammo. If he finds clues he will share with Macregan ammo he will share with everyone the firearms will be used to pay what owes to the people watching his herd.
Searching the bodies of the dead turns up no personal effects aside from four blue bandanas, a gold-plated Waltham pocketwatch, likely stolen, that has seen better days but still runs, a few dozen .44 rounds in their gunbelts and bandoliers, and each man was armed with a .44 rifle, a hunting knife, and a strapped-down .44 revolver on his thigh.
86f9514771916a2b9276d5ca286298a9--paume-watch-companies.jpg
Additionally, Tybalt finds a total of $75.00 in U.S. legal tender.
3-5WEYO-e1529887953535.jpeg
20-dollar-bill-007.jpg
3-9T0CJ-e1529640065285.jpeg
Most likely the rustlers' other belongings might be secured in their saddlebags at their campsite.

In game terms, the rifles are CWR, the knives are KN, and the revolvers are SAR6.
"I should say not! I ain't never lynched anyone in twenty years of keeping the law, even those who may have deserved it." MacRegan replies as he looks at Cisco.
He then turns to Chet with a steely look in his eyes.

"Any punishment will be done in accordance with your laws, and unless I am mistaken horse thieving is a hanging offense on this side of the border as well. You help me find McCoy and Jones and I'll tend to Ollie, and I might even put in a good word with the Marshal. You or your brother sass me again,"

MacRegan emphasises his point by lightly kicking Ollie's wounded leg
"God damn!" shouts Ollie, reflexively grabbing his leg.
"And I'll throw a rope around you and drag you back to Saguaro, and let old Ollie's leg mortify.
Hell, maybe we'll let Eugene give you a good thrashing first. I don't think he appreciated getting shot.
What do you say Eugene? You fancy kicking up some dust with these boys?
Now start talking, I won't ask again. Where are McCoy and Jones heading? Who's riding with them?"

MacRegan then takes out his pipe, lights it and doesn't break eye contact with Chet.
"That were uncalled for, mister. I told you I would talk," says Chet. "McCoy 'n Jones're drivin' them beeves 'n horses down Mexico way t' the Chacón place. That's the Rafter C brand. They got a good dozen men ridin' with 'em. Half of 'em are tough Mexican hombres who'll kill you just for fun. They call their jefe El Tejón 'n you'd best believe he's mean as a cornered badger. The other half's known guns: Killer McCord, Dwight Hollingsworth, Mad Dog McMurtry, Fast Mike Cutler, Salty Pepper, Ned Starkey, 'n the Tuskaloosa Kid. You boys done bit off a chunk 'n you better hope you got the jaws to chew it!"

"El Tejón, eh?"

MacRegan turns to Cisco and the other posse members nearby.

"Any of you fellows heard of this man? What about this Chacón place? Does it sound familiar? How far is from here?"

"I'll head out at any rate. Some of the boys who can handle a rifle should probably come too"

"I don't think any of us should ride off quite yet. Let's see what we're up against first, and figure out what the next move will be. We've got a good position here, that will let us get the drop on those villains when they come back. Besides, I don't want to leave these two here, or take them with us, or lynch them."

MacRegan makes the last point for the benefit of the prisoners

"I want to ride back to Big Jim's, and drop them off, and maybe see if we can get some more men there. With old Chet and Ollie singing up a storm here, along with them rustled horses, we've got a lot more persuasion. Probably Marshal Clary should be involved as well ."

MacRegan turns to Cisco and the other posse members nearby.

"Any of you fellows heard of this man? What about this Chacón place? Does it sound familiar? How far is from here?"
'South of the border,' Cisco replies. 'Lázaro Chacón is a ranchero with a grudge against Big Jim - I gather Big Jim's wife was Lázaro's sister.'

"South of the border. Well if they cross over do we follow? I have no jurisdiction down there. I know if an American lawman crossed into Manitobah unannounced I'd hog-tie 'em, and send his ass back south in a hurry. What are Mexican lawmen likely to do? I don't know this land as well as you folks."

"South of the border. Well if they cross over do we follow? I have no jurisdiction down there. I know if an American lawman crossed into Manitobah unannounced I'd hog-tie 'em, and send his ass back south in a hurry. What are Mexican lawmen likely to do? I don't know this land as well as you folks."
'Per the treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo,' Cisco intones, like a law lecturer before a class,, 'an American lawman can legally pursue no further than one day's ride into Mexico - the same applies the Mexican rurales in the States and the territories. I don't know how far south of the border the Chacón place is situated.'

"Good. That solves one question. I still think we ought to ride back to the Big J. and see if Wayne will lend a hand, especially in light of what we just heard.
Cisco, I am going to leave the posse here. We will use this as a temporary shelter until Iget back. Can send two men out to scout out ahead and see how far they've gotten? Eugene, you come back with me, in case these varmints give me cause to lose my temper. Also, I want to take a look at that wound."

"What about this Chacón place? Does it sound familiar? How far is from here?"
'South of the border,' Cisco replies. 'Lázaro Chacón is a ranchero with a grudge against Big Jim - I gather Big Jim's wife was Lázaro's sister.'
Way back in post # 70, they told Cisco they were from Hermosillo. Cisco would likely remember that since in game time that was not even 24 hours ago. The distance from Saguaro is about 220 miles. Riding time would probably be close to a week, maybe longer as you would need to cross the Sonoran Desert or take a roundabout way to bypass the desert.
Hermosillo.png

"Good. That solves one question. I still think we ought to ride back to the Big J. and see if Wayne will lend a hand, especially in light of what we just heard.
Cisco, I am going to leave the posse here. We will use this as a temporary shelter until Iget back. Can send two men out to scout out ahead and see how far they've gotten? Eugene, you come back with me, in case these varmints give me cause to lose my temper. Also, I want to take a look at that wound."
"It'd be my pleasure," Eugene grins at Ollie. "I can't stand thieves. You might say I have a moral issue with folks that feel entitled to the fruits of another's labor. I'm sure you can guess why."

"I want to ride back to Big Jim's, and drop them off, and maybe see if we can get some more men there. With old Chet and Ollie singing up a storm here, along with them rustled horses, we've got a lot more persuasion. Probably Marshal Clary should be involved as well ."
"Makes sense Inspector. Should some of us stay here while you head back..." he looks around "...hidden someplace nearby of course, in case they come back while we're gone. Just to confirm their numbers"

"Makes sense Inspector. Should some of us stay here while you head back..." he looks around "...hidden someplace nearby of course, in case they come back while we're gone. Just to confirm their numbers"

"I would set up an ambush back here. Make sure you have a back door to scoot out of, if trouble breaks out. Also those dead men, set them around the camp fire, and make it look they're having a nice nap."

"It'd be my pleasure," Eugene grins at Ollie. "I can't stand thieves. You might say I have a moral issue with folks that feel entitled to the fruits of another's labor. I'm sure you can guess why."

MacRegan laughs. "I certainly can."

"I would set up an ambush back here. Make sure you have a back door to scoot out of, if trouble breaks out. Also those dead men, set them around the camp fire, and make it look they're having a nice nap."
Corbin pauses for a second, a bit taken aback by the idea of arranging the bodies. Then he remembers he was shooting at them himself and gets to work setting up the scene. He puts a hat over the face of the bandit who had his head blown out.

Way back in post # 70, they told Cisco they were from Hermosillo. Cisco would likely remember that since in game time that was not even 24 hours ago.
OOC: Hermosillo's just a name to Cisco, which is why he doesn't have more of a grasp on the location. If it was a town in Tamaulipas or Nuevo Leon or Coahuila, probably, Chihuahua, maybe, if it was pretty big, but Sonora's pretty far from where he grew up.

'We still don't know where this canyon lets out,' Cisco replies, 'and negotiating that defile we came down in the dark with a pair of prisoners seems a considerable risk.' He looks around the camp. 'If I was to lie in wait for anyone to return to this camp, I'd do it from up there, atop the cliffs - down here we're exposed from both directions as well as above.

'Inspector, it's your posse,' he finishes, 'but I would suggest we stay together, take the prisoners and the dead, make it look as if they rode out on their own, and find our way out of this canyon. Once we know the layout better, we can make an informed decision on an ambush. It's also going to get dark in here once the moon drops below the rim, and I don't relish a fight at close quarters in the dark.'

OOC: Time?

OOC: Time?
It's about half an hour before dawn, so approximately 4:15 a.m. The cañón is still dark and shadowy due to the high rock walls blocking the sun rising in the east, but the sky is starting to shade from black to grey at the very top of the eastern rocks.

'We still don't know where this canyon lets out,' Cisco replies, 'and negotiating that defile we came down in the dark with a pair of prisoners seems a considerable risk.' He looks around the camp. 'If I was to lie in wait for anyone to return to this camp, I'd do it from up there, atop the cliffs - down here we're exposed from both directions as well as above.

'Inspector, it's your posse,' he finishes, 'but I would suggest we stay together, take the prisoners and the dead, make it look as if they rode out on their own, and find our way out of this canyon. Once we know the layout better, we can make an informed decision on an ambush. It's also going to get dark in here once the moon drops below the rim, and I don't relish a fight at close quarters in the dark.'

"Fair enough Cisco, but I don't want to face an even larger force that may come back with those villains, and I don't want those two to warn their comrades again. With these two prisoners I feel that we may be able to get some help from Wayne. After all, it's the locals' bread that these thieves are taking off the table. "

MacRegan scans the sky

"It looks like daylight's not far off which will make going up that pass with cactus a lot easier. I will concede that it would be better to scout."

He then turns to the posse.

"I need someone to ride ahead with Corbin, and scout the trail. Juan, are you a good tracker? No one rides alone."

He then looks at Cisco.

"Cisco, If you want to deploy some men up yonder, on either side to create an enfilade, then that makes sense as well. I would still leave someone on the floor to make our numbers seem more than they are. Who are the best shots with a rifle here?"

MacRegan says to Chet

"When did those cowards leave with the rustled cows, and when do you expect them back?"

"When did those cowards leave with the rustled cows, and when do you expect them back?"
"I reckon a few hours gone by since they been through here," replies Chet. "Don't 'spect 'em back for a couple weeks, like as not. Depends on how long them Mexican putas can hold up, heh heh heh!"

"Bet you wouldn't have the cojones to call them boys yella if they could hear you," says Ollie.

"You'd lose that bet, donkey brains. What'd I say about sassing me? You must really want to get dragged back to town."

Last edited:
"I like that
"Fair enough Cisco, but I don't want to face an even larger force that may come back with those villains, and I don't want those two to warn their comrades again. With these two prisoners I feel that we may be able to get some help from Wayne. After all, it's the locals' bread that these thieves are taking off the table. "

MacRegan scans the sky

"It looks like daylight's not far off which will make going up that pass with cactus a lot easier. I will concede that it would be better to scout."

He then turns to the posse.

"I need someone to ride ahead with Corbin, and scout the trail. Juan, are you a good tracker? No one rides alone."

He then looks at Cisco.

"Cisco, If you want to deploy some men up yonder, on either side to create an enfilade, then that makes sense as well. I would still leave someone on the floor to make our numbers seem more than they are. Who are the best shots with a rifle here?"

MacRegan says to Chet

OOC: good question. Is Juan a decent tracker? How do I tell? I mean, he should know...although of course he wouldn't claim he's hopeless, even if he was!

IC: "I'll ride with Cisco", Juan answers. "I ain't got much experience tracking, but I'll do whatever I can to cover him, at least, so he could deal with the tracking part. But in the meantime...you'd better take the high ground, as Cisco recommended. It didn't help those guys, but I presume Jesus and the saints had something to ask them about, and didn't have anything to ask us. Usually, though, it is very useful!"
Juan concludes his observation by making the sign of the cross.

Searching the bodies of the dead turns up no personal effects aside from four blue bandanas, a gold-plated Waltham pocketwatch, likely stolen, that has seen better days but still runs, a few dozen .44 rounds in their gunbelts and bandoliers, and each man was armed with a .44 rifle, a hunting knife, and a strapped-down .44 revolver on his thigh.
Additionally, Tybalt finds a total of $75.00 in U.S. legal tender.
Most likely the rustlers' other belongings might be secured in their saddlebags at their campsite.

In game terms, the rifles are CWR, the knives are KN, and the revolvers are SAR6.

Character stuff (detective edition)
1. gold plated Waltham pocket watch were a high status item. Highly likely to have a person's initials on them or a personal note. Tybalt checks the watch for a name or message and will see if it matches up with the intials of any of the bandits.

2. the denominations are susceptious. None of these men strike Tybalt as particularly high status while 75 dollars is within the normal amount for workmen it would almost certainly be in fives and tens, easy denomiations for spending at the saloons and such without causing undue notice. The fifty suggests either banditry or they recently had a successful cattle sale.

IC

whether or not Tybalt hunch on the Waltham pans out he pans he speaks out. "Hey MacRegan, I was going through the fallens' effects and I think I might have found some of those fancy clues" Tybalts shows the watch and informs him about the large denominations. Hopefully it will give him some path of investigation.

IC: "I'll ride with Cisco", Juan answers. "I ain't got much experience tracking, but I'll do whatever I can to cover him, at least, so he could deal with the tracking part. But in the meantime...you'd better take the high ground, as Cisco recommended. It didn't help those guys, but I presume Jesus and the saints had something to ask them about, and didn't have anything to ask us. Usually, though, it is very useful!"
Juan concludes his observation by making the sign of the cross.

"All right then.
Cisco, I'd rather you stayed put for now and get everything organised.
If Juan won't go with Corbin, or ain't up to it, then I need someone else. How about you Lars, or Quinn?"

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back