Bow Hunter Breaks Down Bow & Arrow Scenes from Movies & TV

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Goddamnit, you made me watch 20 minutes Of excellent archery video And made me think introducing overpenetration as a special effect at close range for archers is a good idea. Also, it confirms once again the ranges i use in RPGs are correct.

I've been looking for somewhere appropriate to post this: the repeating bow. You read that right; I didn't say repeating crossbow, I said repeating bow. This guy came up with his own design, which he's iterated on. Here's an evolution of his initial model:

More recently, he came up with a version for modern compound bows, and I think he's underselling it. This update gets around the major shortcoming of the original version, which was a shortened draw distance.

Some people have wondered why this wasn't already invented a long time ago (minus the laser), and what effect it would have had if it was. Joerg suggests that it would have changed history, but I think he's being a bit tongue-in-cheek. Serious archers who have tried out his device say that it's great but point out certain compromises built into the design. Basically, it boils down to the fact that if this was mounted on a serious war bow, the draw weight is so heavy that it precludes any kind of rapid fire.

But surely there's a place for these in fantasy role-playing games, right? At close range with a light bow, you could feather a monster pretty heavily in a short amount of time. In D&D terms, I'd allow the PC to make two (or maybe even three) attacks per action for 1d4 damage each, and reloading also occurs at the rate of 2 arrows per action.

I think part of why his didn’t come out earlier is because we had crossbows that could do it. You can give a fast reloading and day to shoot weapon to a mass of peasants and not worry about a lot of training. hunters dont need to be shooting rapid fire like this

But surely there's a place for these in fantasy role-playing games, right? At close range with a light bow, you could feather a monster pretty heavily in a short amount of time. In D&D terms, I'd allow the PC to make two (or maybe even three) attacks per action for 1d4 damage each, and reloading also occurs at the rate of 2 arrows per action.

certainly in fantasy Games. In Mythras, I would make The bow have a magazine, and it would fire a certain number with one or two less actions to reload for the capacity of the magazine. Once it was done, an action or two per arrow to load the magazine. Essentially it becomes an action point shifting mechanism, which, by itself, is quite potent. Your two action points guy who is slightly slower than a melee fighter isn’t wasting any actions reloading. He’s just pelting folks with shots, winning special effects, forcing bad choices.

Will definitely watch this. I remember watching a similar video a few years ago which praised Pixar's Brave on the physics and mechanics or archery while scoffing at the Avengers for Hawkeye.

I think part of why his didn’t come out earlier is because we had crossbows that could do it.
Well, sort of. There was the Chinese repeating crossbow (chu-ko-nu), but it looks a bit trickier to aim, actually. It's also (I believe) easier to a draw a bow than a crossbow with a given pull weight, I believe, since the tension is spread out over a longer distance (i.e. same amount of work but less power required).

Meanwhile, the crossbow does have a huge advantage: you can keep it cocked without any exertion. I am led to understand that this is very difficult for a war bow.

Well, sort of. There was the Chinese repeating crossbow (chu-ko-nu), but it looks a bit trickier to aim, actually. It's also (I believe) easier to a draw a bow than a crossbow with a given pull weight, I believe, since the tension is spread out over a longer distance (i.e. same amount of work but less power required).

Meanwhile, the crossbow does have a huge advantage: you can keep it cocked without any exertion. I am led to understand that this is very difficult for a war bow.

chu-ko-nu have a lever if I remember correctly Specifically to help with the cocking, though their draw weight was light anyways. Fortunately, they were not going against heavy armor mostly, and used poison. A bit different from the big windlass drawn monsters we see in medieval Europe going into armor. Chu-ko-nu are really more about spray and pray and take out big masses.

in Mythras terms, I would go with a 15/70/180 set of range increments, probably d6 or maybe d4 in damage, a single action to cock (reload of 1) and then one to fire. by comparison, a light crossbow has a reload of 3, and thus is half the speed of this thing. It’s comparable in rate to a javelin, but quite a bit more distance.

edit: going and watching Jorge some more, I’m inclined to drop the cocking time and open up options for double taps. 8 shots in 5 seconds is crazy

Last edited:
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back