Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Now on to info about Swedish RuneQuest. Anders Blixt, the lead designer and an old hand (he worked on Drakar och Demoner in the 80s and 90s, and on the recent Swedish Call of Cthulh edition, so he knows BRP). He also writes in English, so I don't have to translate anything. Here is what he posted today about work on RuneQuest:

• Runequest Swedish Edition (RQSE): We have started working on Eloso's Runequest. RQSE emphasizes culture gaming in a colorful, profound milieu where adventurers are part of well-established communities and must face major challenges as a tightly-knit team. RQSE comprises one rulebook (with a localized version of RQ BRP) and one setting book for the Talastar region. We are currently busy with determining what content we will translate from the Runequest Glorantha game and what texts we need to write from scratch.
So, as we have a separate thread about RuneQuest Glorantha, I know that not everyone is too thrilled with this new edition (I haven't actually checked it out myself, which I probably should as a BRP head), but that's basically what the rules will be based on. Most Swedish BRP games have been different from RuneQuest, so it'll be interesting to see how it is received in Sweden.

I did look at *Mythras Imperitive." Sure has lots of skills and detailed hit locations. I really liked the abstract / narrative stuff that is hacked into Revolution D100 but (1) no one seems to be using it and (2) i'm not sure how well it integrates with other D100 stuff given how it's skill system works.

I did look at *Mythras Imperitive." Sure has lots of skills and detailed hit locations. I really liked the abstract / narrative stuff that is hacked into Revolution D100 but (1) no one seems to be using it and (2) i'm not sure how well it integrates with other D100 stuff given how it's skill system works.
From all I know, Revolution D100 (of which I'm a backer, IIRC...though I can't find my copy) works pretty well. It's just not used by many people, and doesn't have many settings I can name off the top of my head:thumbsup:.
Also, I'm not thrilled by the narrative parts, but that's me:shade:.

Also, I'm not thrilled by the narrative parts, but that's me:shade:.
Sounds like me with Dungeon Fantasy powered by GURPS. Can't stand the whole munchkin narrative tone that Sean Punch uses throughout it.

No it doesn't have a weird tone and I love the abstract bits

For those of you that don't use Revolution D100 what do you use, particularly when dealing with edge cases like liw end powers or off brand monsters

For those of you that don't use Revolution D100 what do you use, particularly when dealing with edge cases like liw end powers or off brand monsters
Low-end powers? Does Revolution have a solution there? Last time I looked (which has been a while), it's been similar enough to the BRP Gold Book Powers (and thus what, Superworld?).

I've got a bit of a cop-out here, as most of the times when I wanted to play BRP, I didn't want powers, besides magic. But I did reskin Battle Magic as "combat feats", which I think OpenQuest recommends, too.

I meant what is your system. Revolution D 100 is kind of like a savage worlds for D 100 so it's very easy to see how you could run most things in it.

Yeah, that's what keeps me away... but Paulo has been pushing that sort of thing for a while now. BRP Mecha has a bit of it, but still very optional.
I really like the guy, but not his narrative touches to the game. Even when he’s talking about traditional rules, his language is overly formalised and contains a lot of jargon. Also his narrative approach to Roleplaying is obvious from his language and it’s omnipresent. It’s like trying to read a textbook when someone is running their fingernails down a chalkboard.

For example let's say you wanted to run an investigative power game but it wasn't the Cthulhu Mythos. For those of you that are BRP people what do you do? Homebrew something using what?

For example let's say you wanted to run an investigative power game but it wasn't the Cthulhu Mythos. For those of you that are BRP people what do you do? Homebrew something using what?
Well, I have never done a game like that but the Big Gold Book provided for powers so I would use that. Also someone on BRP Central did some really good work on a unified powers scheme so you could use that also. But if your running Revolution why not use their system?

OK with better understanding of the question I can answer...

So I use RuneQuest 1st edition (outside a two brief forays into Ringworld and Elfquest that really didn't get past chargen). Up until this summer, I only ever used RQ in Glorantha. I've had a long history of adapting monsters so on those occasions when I want something not available for RQ, I just work something up. The other night I dropped a couple tentacled frog things into my Roll20 map. I started with the RQ Cliff Toad and decided what the tentacles did though the PCs never got to find out... The tentacle was going to do minor damage (which might not have got through armor) plus Disruption (which bypasses armor) to the hit location.

This summer I took Gamelords Thieves Guild (which is different than Robert L. Asprin's Thieves World) and spent some time working up new PC races and a bit of attention on cults. But I'm not straying very far from RQ. I'm not making a new magic system (I'll adapt any casters in the adventures to RQ magic)

I honestly don't see myself using BRP beyond this. For one thing, my interest in non-pseudo medieval fantasy has plummeted and within that realm, I have other game systems I would use if I really wanted a different experience than RQ1. So far RQ1 is working quite nicely for Thieves Guild.

And frankly, much of the specifics of what I like about RQ1 are dropped or handled very differently much farther beyond RQ2 (and even RQ2 has too many changes for my taste). I AM tempted by Stormbringer or even another go at Elfquest but I also suspect any diversion to one of those would be short lived. I would soon miss my battle magic, rune magic, hit locations, strike ranks, skill training and other bits...

If I want some different experiences, I would happily pick up early D&D (OD&D, BX, early AD&D 1e) or Cold Iron, or maybe someday I'll dust off Chivalry and Sorcery, or give Talislanta a spin or Empire of the Petal Throne. But as I'm starting to point out, RQ1 is the ONLY game I have GMed in every single decade since I got it in 1978. Even taking the whole of D&D, I really didn't run (or play) any D&D in the 90s. OD&D comes in next with 70s, 2000s, 2010s, and 2020s. AD&D I did in the 70s, 80s, and very briefly in the 2000s (I AM PLAYING AD&D since 2018 so playing AD&D would be the 2nd longest missing only the 90s).

All of that said, I'm glad there are so many BRP/D100 options out there. I think it's great and there's always a possibility I borrow something from one of those games.

I meant what is your system. Revolution D 100 is kind of like a savage worlds for D 100 so it's very easy to see how you could run most things in it.
In what way? I don't see any more parallels between Revolution and SW than e.g. between Gold Book BRP and SW. What elements do you see mirrored, or is this about Revolution being multi-genre as opposed to most RQ versions?

I'm not sure what an 'investigative power game' is, but if I wanted a horror game without the mythos all it would take with CoC is using some different beasties and dropping any Mythos references. There have been official CoC adventures that do that, and the 'Blood Brothers' collections (though those tended to be tongue in cheek IIRC). It would be a doddle to take an old Chill adventure and use with CoC or the BGB... since there are plenty of sources for classic monsters in BRP... or make up your own.
I ran a fantasy game where one PC was a large mecha-ish construct... and for him we just tweaked the stats for a Tyrannosaur out of the BGB. Worked fine.

Whatever the hell I feel like?
I mean, sounds like a cop-out, but it's exactly true. I've ran games with investigations using a number of d100 systems (but not CoC, amusingly), Chill 3e being the most recent, A Dirty World, a mix of "classical ORE" games, Fates Worse Than Death, GURPS, FATE, Acsiom16, Wushu and Savage Worlds...and probably systems I don't remember right now:thumbsup:.
See above. I'm just going to take a d100 game that's got a close setting and run it like any other game. Most of my games feature at least some elements of investigations. So if I was to run a game with ICONS, it would still have them:grin:!

I've not read Revolution D100, but I recall the writer/publisher pushing it over on BRP Central years ago. Didn't sound like my kind of thing.

I would likely use the BRP Big Gold Book for low end powers, and create off-brand monsters by finding a close approximate from existing sources.

I don't know what an "investigative power game" is, but if it's related to horror, or the supernatural, I would start from the framework of Call of Cthulhu.

Looks like it's coming along.

Going back about a decade ago I would just use my trusty BRP BGB, which was still new and shiny then, even if the system wasn't.
These days I would tend to go with Mythras/Mythras Imperative, or Renaissance/OpenQuest :thumbsup:

Last edited:
The official BRP SRD is quite concise with about 20 pages and most of the rules you'd need for a contemporary game. I never was a fan of SAN mechanics, so I'd just stick with that, probably ditching the RR table.
To be honest, I'd probably just use GURPS 3E or CoC D20 instead right now, but assuming I got my group on a steady diet of BRP already, a simple core version would be okay. BRP without MW hit points or magic is deadly enough to be scary all by itself.

Of course, if the group wouldn't start immediately I'd probably get into system hacking and merge something man should not know from the carcasses of BRP, RoleMaster (skill increases), GUMSHOE, Fuzion and CORPS.

Any BRP game really. Depends on what you mean by "power". I could use Big gold Book BRP set in the modern day and use psionics for example. Or, the BGG magic or sorcery systems. I could run an investigative game set in a bronze age society and use Mythras (I could use Mythras in a modern context too of course, but likely wouldn't bother). I might even use Call of Cthulhu but without the Cthulhu mythos (I played in an investigation game that ran this way at the first convention I went to, we kept expecting there to be actual supernatural events, but it was just common human murder and sabotage afoot).

From all I know, Revolution D100 (of which I'm a backer, IIRC...though I can't find my copy) works pretty well. It's just not used by many people, and doesn't have many settings I can name off the top of my head:thumbsup:.
Robyn Hode and some other stuff.

Robyn Hode and some other stuff.
I said "many".
And Robyn Hode seemed like more or less standard "Merrie England"...which I've got in several incarnations of other d100 systems, so I didn't see the need to purchase anew:thumbsup:.

I just posted this in the RQG thread. Then I realised that may have been a bit bombastic, as the thread's OP SeaJay Iceman probably wants to focus on RQG, not necessarily banter about 'Glorantha/Mythras'. Just in the slim chance it derails that thread I have reposted it here in my own sprawling BRP thread, where it can be free and unshackled :grin:

So this is a cross-posting - Sorry for any confusion! :thumbsup:

I am here at work with some moments to spare, and randomly considering the pros/cons of potentially just running the RQG supplements down the track with the Mythras rules, but really haven't thought too far ahead more than that.

I really do like how Mythras does Skills, especially having stat+stat as a base chance, it just seems so much more logical to me. The Mythras combat manuvers add alot of flavour to the already rich RQ combat scenes, and I do not mind the crunch as the pay off is good.
I also like the much less complex character sheet of Mythras Imperative, so I'm thinking of using it for all my Mythras games if possible (esp if a digital form-fillable version is made available some day).

I'm not sure if the Mythras Imperative character sheet will work for the usual Mythras game or not yet, I will have to find out, but from the outset it looks like it should work just as good as the original more complex one. I find having more simple character sheets makes like generally much easier, and frees up the players to focus more on visualising their character.

The presentation of Glorantha will be more or les with how everything is presented in RQG and the G2G.

For char gen, I can see using the Mythras Backgrounds across Cultures, so a Rural Orlanthi might use the Barbarian background, whereas an Orlanthi from one of the major centres might have the Civilised background. Obiviously some cultures may only have one Background, like Praxian Animads just use Nomaic background, whereas Praxian Oasis People just use Primitive Background, for instance.

I would want to keep the Family History table in character gen, it is very rich and also good for developing Passions.

I'm thinking Runes could also be listed under the Mythras Passions, and use them for lore rolls, augments, etc.

I figure game mechanics for Spirit Magic just ports to Mythras Folk Magic, and Rune Magic is the trappings for Mythras Theism. I will keep the Gloranthan names of Spirit Magic and Rune Magic, but use the Mythras mechanics. I'm not sure I like how powerful Initiates feel in RQG, so I think Mythras may bring this more in keeping with how I like it.

It figure the terms will be replaced with the RQG ones - Initiates stay the same, Acolytes are called God Talkers, and Priests are called Rune Masters (Rune Priests and Rune Lords, depending of if more academic or martial focused).

It may all get too fiddily down the track porting NPCs over, I'm unsure (alot of that can be handwaved however). I don't want to create too much extra work.

I'm also not sure if I can fit the Mythras Experience Points rulwa into the RQG Seasonal Experience system or not, but i will take a better look at this down the track.

This is all just a random notion that I haven't thought too far ahead on yet (and I don't have either my RQG or Mythras books to compare just at present)
There are likely alot of pitfalls ahead, so if anyone can see them glaring at them, please jump in now and save me from too much grief later on
As I said, all of this is me just having a random brainstorming moment while I'm here on a work break :grin:

Last edited:
Thanks Raleel Raleel, I just saw you already answered this in the original thread :thumbsup:
I had completely forgotten Hannu's 'Notes From Pavis' site, and will check it out tonight when I get home.

Also I'm still happy to brainstorm here with anyone who is playing Glorantha using Mythras,
and/or is using the Mythras Imperative character sheets for their regular Mythras games.
:smile:

Even more info about the new edition of Drakar och Demoner from Free League.

These are questions posed by readers of the earlier posted interview, with answers from project lead Tomas at Free League, translated by me:
Q: Ducks in DoD. Tell us more! What will be the role of the ducks in the new edition, how will they be portrayed?
A: Definitely ducks! We'll return with more details about them later.

Q: What size will the box set be? What will it contain?
A: About the same size as the Mutant: Year Zero box. It will contain one rule book, one adventure, and hopefully also dice, maps and more. We're hoping for beautiful clear red or green dice.

Q: Is the plan to make the first box wholly complete, or are there plans for a basic box and an expert box [classic DoD had a basic set and then two expansions, Expert and Gigantic]
A: The base game will be complete. We might do more boxes with rules expansions in the future, we'll see.

Q: Are you going to look att the development of BRP in English-language games like Mythras, OpenQuest etc? Or is this going to be a completely orthogonal development to the mainstream of BRP? [This was my question]
A: We know about what's been done in the BRP sphere recently, and there's a bunch of good stuff there to be inspired by, but we won't be just running with that stuff outright, but do our own take on BRP using the 1984 edition of DoD as a base.

Q: We want to know more about magic! How will it work? will mini-magic [like cantrips in D&D, minor magic that doesn't cost Magic Points to cast] still be a thing?
A: We'll have to get back to you on that, but I like mini-magic.

Q: What will the combat system be like? Like the classic game or more like Expert?
A: We're testing the combat system right noe so it's a bit early to reveal details. It'll be D20 like in the Expert/91 editions [for people who didn't read my earlier replies on this, DoD went over to using a D20 instead of a D100 in the late 80s, but it's still BRP, just divide all skill values by five] but it won't use hit locations [which all the D20 editions of old DoD did, but the D100 editions did not, as they were based on Magic World which didn't use hit locations].

Q: Will there be limits to what 3rd party publishers can publish in terms of new backgrounds, professions, races or it will be completely free for development?
A: The exact rules around 3rd part publishing aren't finished yet, but the idea is that you will be able to publish anything except for complete core rules. Only modules, no complete games.

Q: How will skills be handled? Loads of them like in the 91 editions with all the handbooks, or more restrained? How will you make Knowledge skills more usueful so they don't become too many and too niche?
A: We're talking about this internally right now. Almost certainly fewer skills than in Expert/91, but more than in Forbidden Lands or Mutant: Year Zero. We want to make all skills useful in play.

Q: Reboot of the fantastic adventure "Among Elfs and Trolls" from the 1st edition?
A: Heh, no such plans currently

Q: Will there be another DoD computer game in the future?
A: Currently no such plans

Q: Any plans for new grand campaigns? Not reprints, but a new Conflux suite [one of the grand campaigns of old DoD]
A: In the long term we want to release large campaigns, both new editions of classics and new material. We've planned to include a short but complete campaign in the basic set.

Q: Will gods and religions exist? Will it be Odo [god from an old campaign world] or something completely new?
A: The basic set will not contain any detailed pantheon or similar, but there will be a basic mythology.

Q: Any thoughts on Hero points and heroic abilities [special points gained through great deeds, can be used to gain much greater chance of success on die rolls or to buy special abilities]?
A: We're planning to include a system of heroic abilities, yes. More info later.

Even more info about the new edition of Drakar och Demoner from Free League.
DoD:
…Drakar och Demoner will be their Swedish language flagship going forward, while most of the rest of their games then will presumably be primarily in English.
…they will be using Johan Egerkrans, who also did the art for the recent failed Riotminds version.
…with Drakar och Demoner, but the stated purpose of Free League is to make it for beginners, i.e. it should be easily usable as the first rpg that gets put in your hands as a player.
…So, from Free League's perspective the first difference is that DoD will only be in Swedish (I guess everyone here will have to inundate the company with requests to translate it)
…in general more a feeling of fairy-tales (the Swedish word "saga" is a bit different in tone, but "fairy-tale" is the closest translation.
…it'll be D20 like in the Expert/91 editions …but it's still BRP, … it won't use hit locations.
…certainly fewer skills than in Expert/91, but more than in Forbidden Lands or Mutant: Year Zero.
…We're planning to include a system of heroic abilities,

In other words, a version of BRP that hits my crunch sweet spot; but is more developed with implied lore and mythology than the half-baked 'magic world' versions Chaosium pumped out...

Also: Where can we pester them for an English edition!?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Last edited:
In other words, a version of BRP that hits my crunch sweet spot; but is more developed with implied lore and mythology than the half-baked 'magic world' versions Chaosium pumped out...

Also: Where can we pester them for an English edition!?

Inquiring minds want to know!
I do personally like Magic World, but DoD is different from those. As for where to pester them, I guess their official Facebook page might be a good start. Or tell me and I’ll mention it next time I meet them.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back