Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Yes ...
Delta Green is 0.08%
RQG is 0.03%
Mythras is 0.02%
Basic Roleplaying is 0.02%
Oh, OK... like I said, it's been a while since I tried to start anything new on there.

Yes ...
Delta Green is 0.08%
RQG is 0.03%
Mythras is 0.02%
Basic Roleplaying is 0.02%

Call of Cthulhu is 14.3% which makes it number 2 on Roll20.

As I said BRP or d100 are just more low key because there are many flavors rather than one "brand". CoC is the most recognized flavor and it does well, the rest are diluted by branding, but they are out there.

Context here is important, 0.02% looks terrible until you look at the fact that only a few score in whole numbers (going off active campaigns here rather than registered users, active campaigns being more about what is being played). D&D5E 47%, uncategorized 17%, CoC 14%, Pathfinder 5% (1E + 2E), Warhammer (all variants including 40k) 1.06% and Worlds of Darkness 1.07%.

D&D in all versions are still "big dogs" in the hobby yet none break 1%, 3.5 (0.92%), AD&D (0.21% 1E +2E), 4E (0.19%). "OSR" games rank from 0.11-0.01% range, with DCC leading and most being in the 0.06-0.02 range. Most well known games fall into the 0.2-0.5% with nearly 1/4 of the list at 0.01% which puts BRP and its ilk solidly towards the middle.

Of the three that Necrozius mentioned by name PbA ranks with 0.1%, but Apocalypse world scores 0.4%, and Apocalypse World System scores 0.41%, FATE (all versions) scores 0.4% but there is also Fate at 0.07%... 2d20 ranks at 0.03%, and Conan (2d20?) gets a 0.02% which shows some flaws with this chart.

I'll also note that D&D 5E ranks at #1 with 47% but there is also a listing for Dungeons & Dragons 5E with a score of 0.4% so obviously this is simply a survey of listed games, not a survey with tightly organized categories.

With 17% listed as uncategorized and CoC at 14%, how much BRP is hiding in those two through misidentification? I'll note CoC d100 is also listed separately with a ranking of 0.01%... So so CoC is either #2 or somewhere near the bottom.

With 17% listed as uncategorized and CoC at 14%, how much BRP is hiding in those two through misidentification? I'll note CoC d100 is also listed separately with a ranking of 0.01%... So so CoC is either #2 or somewhere near the bottom.
This is why I hate keyword tagging schemes without a strong editorial hand.

This is why I hate keyword tagging schemes without a strong editorial hand.
Yea, the Roll20 game categorization is a mess. It would be nice if they had a more comprehensive list of systems.

The problem is that as some folks point out, there sometimes is incentive to mis-label, and the exact system only matters if you are using character sheets or other automation that is game specific (if it even exists for the game you are running).

Another thing about roll20 is that while I’ve played D&D5e over the platform, I have little desire to play a BRP game there. I don’t typically use miniatures or battle mats for BRP, and so if I wanted to run a BRP game online I’d just use Discord.

Another thing about roll20 is that while I’ve played D&D5e over the platform, I have little desire to play a BRP game there. I don’t typically use miniatures or battle mats for BRP, and so if I wanted to run a BRP game online I’d just use Discord.
Roll20 has an excellent character sheet for Mythras, admittedly there's not much else going for it. Roll20+Discord are a good combination through. There are so few BRP/Mythras games running on Roll20 (or I should say advertised, LFP) you can count the GMs on one hand, and I'm one of them, or I was.

Roll20 has an excellent character sheet for Mythras, admittedly there's not much else going for it. Roll20+Discord are a good combination through. There are so few BRP/Mythras games running on Roll20 (or I should say advertised, LFP) you can count the GMs on one hand, and I'm one of them, or I was.
Yeah, but I just don't feel the need for that kind of support for most games. I'm not a big fan of playing online at all, but I have tried both Roll20 and just playing over Discord, and I was fine with either. And I don't play with random people online either, so that feature doesn't help me (but could help others).

I'm slowly prepping a Mythras Monster Island game on Foundry with some friends.

The only reason why this was likely a huge sell was because they were already familiar with RuneQuest and had positive experiences with it. My other group got afraid when I started talking about it.

The HP per body location was the last straw. A huge NOPE from them on that one. Sure I could go with an alternative (those other BRP-based games with just a single pool of HP)... but then it wouldn't be Mythras to me anymore.

And it's worth noting that games that are running but not currently open to players don't show up in the searches.
But they do in the statistics of games played.

Yeah, but I just don't feel the need for that kind of support for most games. I'm not a big fan of playing online at all, but I have tried both Roll20 and just playing over Discord, and I was fine with either. And I don't play with random people online either, so that feature doesn't help me (but could help others).
I am quite sure I would never have tried running RQ6 and then Mythras without a working character sheet. Of course if you aren't interested in playing online ... I don't see what you're saying at all.

I am quite sure I would never have tried running RQ6 and then Mythras without a working character sheet.
I am unlikely to run any game without a working character I built myself to meet my personal requirements.

I am quite sure I would never have tried running RQ6 and then Mythras without a working character sheet. Of course if you aren't interested in playing online ... I don't see what you're saying at all.
That half the games I’ve played online had a working character sheet in the sense that there was a paper one on my desk, or a pdf open with a form-fillable one. I didn’t need a service to provide that for me, and roll20 was mainly used for battlemat purposes when playing D&D. No battlemat combat, no roll20 needed.

hey, quick question. I think I remember reading about a Mythras based super hero RPG book in the works. I know it was on this forum but I'm not sure where exactly.
I was wondering 2 things about it
1) what was the name of it again?
2) any news on how development for it is going, release dates, etc?

hey, quick question. I think I remember reading about a Mythras based super hero RPG book in the works. I know it was on this forum but I'm not sure where exactly.
I was wondering 2 things about it
1) what was the name of it again?
2) any news on how development for it is going, release dates, etc?
Destined
It is imminent. Going through final steps. I’m not TDM but I think we are looking at within the month.

(Russian apples)
Third in the world in acreage, eighth in total production.
And yet are also major importers of apples, too! I have to wonder what they're doing with them all...

(Russian apples)

And yet are also major importers of apples, too! I have to wonder what they're doing with them all...
I suspect they're eating them:thumbsup:.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_apple_production they are just at the top of the rest of the pack. They still produce 1/5th the us and I imagine they get the vast majority of those apples from China.
Apparently mainly from Moldova! And previously a lot from Poland, before those got benned in usual political shenanigans. Which makes sense geographically, I suppose, given the population median of Russia.

OTOH, that is a lot of Chinese apples! Huge volumes go to the Philippines...

Plot twist that's barely a plot twist: apple vodka!

Russia just never occurred to me as an especially apple-crazed place. Now had we been talking cherries...
So...narrative:shade:!

Argh so I need some advice!

Destined just came out. I am tempted, but I already own Savage Worlds and the Super Hero companion.

Should I stick with Savage Worlds (for fast action) or is Mythras the better system for pulp to gritty supers?

Destined just came out. I am tempted, but I already own Savage Worlds and the Super Hero companion.

Should I stick with Savage Worlds (for fast action) or is Mythras the better system for pulp to gritty supers?
Have you actually played any Mythras yet?
Like, I haven't bought/read Destined yet... but I know and like the other D100 games that spawned it (and dislike SW)... so it's an easy guess I'll get something out of it. But if you've got something in that sort that already works for you? I dunno.
I want non-comic book supers, more humans with powers... and I've been told Destined addresses that (as well as other flavors). So what would your reason for buying it be? Aiming at something SW doesn't handle so well?

I want non-comic book supers, more humans with powers... and I've been told Destined addresses that (as well as other flavors).
Aw man that’s exactly what I was looking for. A “generic” system for modern urban “fantasy” (or humans with powers).

I like Savage Worlds… sort of. I’ve run a few sessions but… it’s just so entirely combat focused.

Aw man that’s exactly what I was looking for. A “generic” system for modern urban “fantasy” (or humans with powers).

I like Savage Worlds… sort of. I’ve run a few sessions but… it’s just so entirely combat focused.
We all know that the chance of me*, Raleel Raleel CRKrueger CRKrueger or you NOT getting Destined is Slim to Nil and Slim has left town. So just order it already if you've got the money, or wait until a paycheck:thumbsup:!

*I've got two boys who are very much into superheroes, and would be at the age to be introduced to d100 pretty soon:shade:!

We all know that the chance of me*, Raleel Raleel CRKrueger CRKrueger or you NOT getting Destined is Slim to Nil and Slim has left town. So just order it already if you've got the money, or wait until a paycheck:thumbsup:!

*I've got two boys who are very much into superheroes, and would be at the age to be introduced to d100 pretty soon:shade:!
Heh, I just got it off the new store. I also grabbed Worlds United since I didn't have that yet.

So who’s gonna start a Destined game?

I’m just asking for, um … a friend.
I was about to ask the same thing. We should start a game in some format. Hopefully we’re all in somewhat compatible time zones!

Destined is a nicely hefty book. I was scanning through it and at one point thought “well, that’s a lot of content, I guess” then realized I was only halfway through.

Gonna do a more thorough read through of the character building section this week. I will read the rest once the hardcover arrives…

picked it up last night and didn't have much energy for the read, but did pick out a new special effect - Distract - that will do nicely for a particular player of mine. Also noted a trimmed skill list that mirrors some of the suggestions we've discussed in this very thread. great minds think alike and all that. I still have a lot to go through.

I did start speccing up a "shadowrun troll" and figuring out how to deal with stats. It appears that Growth with the limit "always on" should get me to pretty much what I want, though you have to put in an additional limit of "only minimum multiplier" to get the right range.

I’m very psyched about the announcement for Mythic Polynesia. For years I was working on a fantasy Polynesian setting for RPGs but stopped because… well I chickened out and the few people I talked to for advice told me to drop it for several reasons.

TDM does great, well-researched and respectful work and so I’ll be living vicariously through their upcoming success on the subject matter.

Hmmm just going outside the box here while I'm perusing Mythras: Destined... instead of re-trapping Gifts, perhaps these Super Powers could be used as a high-action Talents/Feats system if wanting to play ancient Mythic Era heroes like Achilles or Heracles etc. It looks easy to plug and play into any setting.

But playing it as written, I can definately see myself running some modern urban street-level Supers sessions akin to the gritty flavour of Daredevil & Marvel Defenders

TDM have done well again :shade:

Hmmm just going outside the box here while I'm perusing Mythras: Destined... instead of re-trapping Gifts, perhaps these Super Powers could be used as a high-action Talents/Feats system if wanting to play ancient Mythic Era heroes like Achilles or Heracles etc. It looks easy to plug and play into any setting.

But playing it as written, I can definately see myself running some modern urban street-level Supers sessions akin to the gritty flavour of Daredevil & Marvel Defenders

TDM have done well again :shade:
The allotment system is a good way to handle equipment that is pretty portable, especially when it’s not all that important for your game.

Mythras: Destined aims to cover a wide range of powers and potencies, and has character generation tiers which you can use to create characters within a particular power scope - the campaign levels are Street, Epic, and Paragon.

From my familarity with BRP games, Destined should work really well portraying Street and perhaps Epic campaigns, due to the gritty and tactile elements inherent in the BRP/Mythras system. I am unsure regarding Paragon campaigns at this stage, and my initial thought is perhaps a more broad 'pulpy' rpg system may be better suited for this level - although I really need to see Destined in action before making decisive assumptions

If you are already using Savage Worlds for "Four-Coloured Supers", then probably stick with that.
But if you want to go for a more gritty tone, portraying characters like Batman Dark Knight or Daredevil, then I think Destined will definately suit that kind of tone much better.

Last edited:
Just thought this may be of interest to some of us here
I have stumbled across this video a bit late, it was actually posted a year ago
It's on the RPG Ramblings channel, and it's a really great interview with Jeff Richards of Chaosium.

Very insightful for anyone who is curious regarding Glorantha as a setting, and the banter is really comfortable by the end of it.
Both guys derail quite a bit - not unlike our threads here in the Pub - so it feels like this video may definately be at home here.
I like how near the end Jeff describes our hobby in RQ terms, wherein he feels that every rpg gamer is an "Initiate in the Cult of Gaming" - great stuff :shade:

(ADDIT: Please note that this interview runs for quite a while - a bit over an hour an a half - I played it in the background like any podcast)

Just parking this here in my generic BRP thread, for anyone who may be interested:

Last edited:
As a person who does a podcast which is practically known for derailment I approve

I will never totally get over Jeff Richards for not continuing the RQ6 mechanics, but he's mostly forgiven because he makes up for it with his love of antiquity which he brings to Gloranthan lore, and his vision on where to go with it in regards to content, artwork, and general production quality. RQG really is top notch in this area, comparable with the current quality of Cubicle 7's WFRP 4E line.
As a person who does a podcast which is practically known for derailment I approve
This video was quite enjoyable, Jeff Richard really derailed quite a bit and looked quite at ease doing it.
He'd make a great Pubber in that respect, but he would need to consider a Mythras Glorantha book first, heh heh :grin:

Last edited:
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back