Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I'm just wondering what is attracting other people to BRP, especially Mythras, and why are we all congregating here?
What attracts me to BRP is actually the content as much as the system. Somehow BRP games seem to end up with the kinds of settings that I find incredibly interesting. Glorantha, X-Files, Lovecraft, After the Vampire Wars, Elric, the reams of historical content etc.

The rule system from Pendragon to Mythras emulates very well the "mythic/slightly more than normal" characters that are my favourite type of PCs. So Arthurian knights, warriors from Greek myth, Conan etc. There's also a general emphasis on integrating the skills into the culture/setting, so that often you don't need to roll. Rather just eyeball the character's skill and be aware of what a "professional blacksmith" say is capable of in this setting.

In both content and system it's perfect visceral low fantasy. Can't wait for Mythic Babylon, Greece and the Samurai take on Pendragon coming.

Last edited:
[...]
I'm just wondering what is attracting other people to BRP, especially Mythras, and why are we all congregating here?
:grin:
As for choosing this forum, frankly, BRP Central became a little too much of a Glorantha-clique for my taste when the boards became the official Chaosium fora. Also the boards that I frequented the most (Magic World & BRP) seemed to get flooded by posts from a couple of folks who did nothing but explain to everyone why it was broken and how they would fix it ad nauseum.

With respect to BRP and Mythras, I came late to the party after really only playing various versions of D&D since middle-school in the late 80s, and then a very long layoff through my twenties ended when a friend invited me to play in D&D 3.x and 4th game. I loved the guys in thag group, but the rules never did click with me. Once that group dissolved, somehow I got curious about OpenQuest after dabbling with various OSR rulesets (it might have been Newt Newport Newt Newport and his Crypts & Things that made it cross my radar?), that lead to a RuneQuest 6 bundle of holding and eventually Magic World, which I've been happily running for about the past 5 years or so. As for Mythras, I've always loved TDM's supplements which were easy to pilfer for ideas and plug into Magic World, but Lyonesse dropping last year finally got me to really invest in learning the intricacies of Mythras as a ruleset and when my current MW campaign comes to a natural close in the next year, I'm finally going to give it a go. Ultimately, the way BRP does things fits my concept of what I like in a game -- where anything goes, players always need to take entering into combat seriously, and being outnumbered really matters (it's also probably why I used to lose interest in D&D when the character levels started creeping above 5th or 6th level.)

I'm not quite sure I qualify as "attracted to BRP" since I run RQ1 which predated any attempt to genericize the rules... I've dabbled (as in done chargen and MAYBE sample combat) with a few BRP games (Call of Cthulhu, Ring World, and Elfquest). But mostly I play RQ1 (well, 1.5...) in Glorantha...

The conversation here is reasonable, though no one really talks RQ1 anymore (or RQ2 or RQ3...). Really there isn't anywhere that folks talk about RQ1...

Since Mythras was on sale, I did pick it up, but it's highly unlikely I would ever run it. Conceivably I could steal a thing or two from it.

I'm not quite sure I qualify as "attracted to BRP" since I run RQ1 which predated any attempt to genericize the rules... I've dabbled (as in done chargen and MAYBE sample combat) with a few BRP games (Call of Cthulhu, Ring World, and Elfquest). But mostly I play RQ1 (well, 1.5...) in Glorantha...

The conversation here is reasonable, though no one really talks RQ1 anymore (or RQ2 or RQ3...). Really there isn't anywhere that folks talk about RQ1...

Since Mythras was on sale, I did pick it up, but it's highly unlikely I would ever run it. Conceivably I could steal a thing or two from it.

I don't think there are that many people who ever played RQ1. RQ came out in 1978 or 79? I bought Runequest in 1980 or 81 and it was already RQ2 by that point and then it was sold to AH in 85? becoming RQ3.

I don't think there are that many people who ever played RQ1. RQ came out in 1978 or 79? I bought Runequest in 1980 or 81 and it was already RQ2 by that point and then it was sold to AH in 85? becoming RQ3.
Yea, the run of RQ1 was just a 2 or 3 thousand if I recall and RQ2 came out so soon after. Had I been not so quick to buy it, I would have ended up with RQ2, but I bought early and thus got RQ1. And a year later I didn't see a reason to spend more money... So it wasn't until 2005 that I had a copy of RQ2...

I'm just wondering what is attracting other people to BRP...
My "attraction" to BRP started with the purchase of the 3rd edition of RuneQuest (Avalon Hill) in 1985, and the purchase of the 3rd edition of Call of Cthulhu the following year. Those Rpgs changed my gaming life; they were real epiphany moments of the potential of classless Rpgs systems. Although I've dabbled in other systems, I've never left BRP behind at any point in the decades since.
...and why are we all congregating here?
I used to post a lot more over on BRP Central and Yog-Sothoth.com, as far back as 10-15 years ago. But, my posting declined in both spots, in the past 3 years.

As others have posted, once BRP Central became the Chaosium forum, I started to lose interest. CoC7e and RQ:RIG took more of a front seat in discussions, and nu-Chaosium's customer relations weren't very flattering. YSDC also got a lot more conversation about CoC7e than anything else, and my interest in that forum also drifted.

I talk about BRP here because of those cases, and because some other general forums are ... shall we say, batshit insane, so I don't waste my time there.

I grew up playing D&D and had never even heard of RuneQuest or BRP. One day I picked up a collection of Conan stories because I thought I’d find them funny, like I did the Arnold movies. I ended up loving the Conan stories and that led me to Mongoose’s d20 Conan, and Sword & Sorcery fiction. At this time I was also a Joseph Campbell fan. I heard that Campbell was to Glorantha as Tolkien was to D&D fantasy, and that Mongoose had RuneQuest Glorantha books. I also heard that the 2nd edition of the Conan game was moving to Mongoose RuneQuest II, which unfortunately ended up not happening. I picked up the MRQ books, but still ran D&D for a long while, as that was what I was most comfortable with. I finally started running Mythras a few months ago, set in Conan’s world, and intend to use it as my primary system going forward.

...and I still like D&D fantasy, but you know what? Mythras Classic Fantasy can do that!

Last edited:
It's just a semantics issue, but I'll say that typing BRP is a heck of a lot quicker than Chaosium's d100 system derived from RuneQuest's First Edition. :-)
:-) Yea, I was just being goofy...

I am wondering though, besides d100 roll under skill, what other common mechanics are there because there are certainly other d100 roll under skill games that have no connection to BRP/RQ/ Hit locations aren't universal. I don't think AP is universal across all BRP derived games. The resistance table isn't universal. I suppose in many cases there's enough overlap between A and B to be common games, and B has enough overlap with C to be common games and therefore A and C are in the same family even if the only thing in common between them is d100 roll under skill.

I'd probably say d100 roll under, similar attributes, skill system, magic points for casting, classless, armor reduces damage. I liken the BRP family of games to the TSR era of D&D. You can broadly swap systems and rules amongst the games without a problem and anyone who learns one can easily play another.

I love CoC and Pendragon as my first non-D&D games and just as damn fine games. Also liked RQ and Glorantha later so knowing Mythras was based on that was a positive but ultimately it is the supplements like Mythic Britain and Rome that sold me on it.

I'm an old school RQ hand, and BRP based systems always seemed--comfortable. Mythras in particular I ended up liking some elements of the combat system a whole lot. Ironically, I'm kind of moving away from it right now, but that's less about critique of the system than it not serving my current needs (and some generic things I periodically have with D100 and D20 systems).

Here, I happen to show up when my presence on another board was No Longer Required, and an acquaintance mentioned he hung out here some.

I'd probably say d100 roll under, similar attributes, skill system, magic points for casting, classless, armor reduces damage. I liken the BRP family of games to the TSR era of D&D. You can broadly swap systems and rules amongst the games without a problem and anyone who learns one can easily play another.
I didn't list similar attributes since the attribute list of RQ was already similar to D&D (only with the addition of POW). Skill system is part of the d100 roll under and is a good point that the common mechanic there is d100 roll under a skill rating where characters have a variety of skills. Do all BRP derived games use POW/magic points? Ringworld does indeed use POW for psionics, that was one I wondered about. I think all the Chaosium games use the Resistance Table.

Beyond Legends, Mythras, and Open Quest, all of which clearly derived from BRP, what other games out there would fall in the category. Other Suns is very clearly derived and I'm sure there are other games out there. I've misplaced (or sold) Worlds Beyond so I can't check it out.

Various TSR games that use d100 roll under for at least some skill checks clearly are not BRP games and I don't think anyone would ever mistake any of them for a BRP game.

Are there any nebulous games out there?

I didn't list similar attributes since the attribute list of RQ was already similar to D&D (only with the addition of POW). Skill system is part of the d100 roll under and is a good point that the common mechanic there is d100 roll under a skill rating where characters have a variety of skills. Do all BRP derived games use POW/magic points? Ringworld does indeed use POW for psionics, that was one I wondered about. I think all the Chaosium games use the Resistance Table.

Beyond Legends, Mythras, and Open Quest, all of which clearly derived from BRP, what other games out there would fall in the category. Other Suns is very clearly derived and I'm sure there are other games out there. I've misplaced (or sold) Worlds Beyond so I can't check it out.

Various TSR games that use d100 roll under for at least some skill checks clearly are not BRP games and I don't think anyone would ever mistake any of them for a BRP game.

Are there any nebulous games out there?

Kind of depends on what weight you place on what parts of the RQ origin to class as "nebulous".

(As an aside, RQ had two changes in attributes from D&D; it added Size and changed Wisdom into Power).

It is kind of odd but BRP being a fairly light weight system is hard to pin down. For me BRP games have direct ties to RQ either being done by Chaosium, or admittedly being inspired by it or a related game. There are a few d100 games that are similar to BRP that don't claim any ancestry to it, but they tend to have other differences making them BRP like, but not BRP.

I'm thinking of Tri-Tac in particular (Stalking the Night Fantastic, Fringeworthy, FTL2448). which has many similarities, in particular the use of a d100 skill system but it also has differences. It uses a very different combat system with very detailed damage for one.
My guess is they were familiar with BRP, as 3rd ed The Morrow Project included a Chaosium approved "BRP lite" skills system, and there were direct connections between Tri-Tac and Time Line (the founder of Tri-Tac was also a founding member of Timeline), but their system was distinct enough not to need to worry about infringement issues.

Aftermath also has some similarities, but I don't think anyone would say it was BRP derived.

Want to get into a convoluted discussion? Ask someone sometime if they consider Pendragon BRP derived.

Off topic, but I couldn't mentioning that I normally use Paragonlost as my forum posting on a lot of forums, or Acmegamer as a secondary. So everytime you post I double check myself when I'm reading the post thinking that I posted. lol

It needs to be said. This "war" is enormously underwhelming. It barely registers as a spirited water balloon fight.

The thing about BRP is that you might not agree with the mechanics and changes from one edition to the next (I for one do not care for two different bonus/penalty mechanics when dealing with NPCs in CoC 7th) but it´s very easy to see how each one is connected to the basic chassis. There is a logical and smooth progression from game to game.

In IT terms, BRP is the GitHub of RPGs.

Other games (Ahem looking at you D&D) tend to have bigger changes between editions which make older material incompatible and brings changes to the culture and discourse around the game.

As an example, I could sit with a group and play Runequest Glorantha, and even if I haven´t played before, I have enough experience with Magic World and Mythras to make an educated guess about how the game works. On the other hand, aside from 3 to 3.5, every edition of D&D after AD&D 2nd edition is its own beast.

That leads to two issues, first, with each iteration you are basically creating a new fanbase from the people that jump from one edition to the next plus newcomers, the end result is a bunch of fanbases around a common brand (D&D) with such divergent cultures that cross dialogue is very difficult.

On the other hand, BRP might have different fanbases but at least the language is similar enough to facilitate a dialogue, want to use Magic World skill pyramids with Mythras? go ahead. Want to play OpenQuest with legend maneuvers baked in?, sure, it might take a bit of work but it´s perfectly doable. Bonus die in mythras? I don´t know why would you want something like that, but if it makes you happy, more power to you

Oh, and this community is amazing :smile: that helps too.

The thing about BRP is that you might not agree with the mechanics and changes from one edition to the next (I for one do not care for two different bonus/penalty mechanics when dealing with NPCs in CoC 7th) but it´s very easy to see how each one is connected to the basic chassis. There is a logical and smooth progression from game to game.

Other games (Ahem looking at you D&D) tend to have bigger changes between editions which make older material incompatible and brings changes to the culture and discourse around the game.

As an example, I could sit with a group and play Runequest Glorantha, and even if I haven´t played before, I have enough experience with Magic World and Mythras to make an educated guess about how the game works. On the other hand, aside from 3 to 3.5, every edition of D&D after AD&D 2nd edition is its own beast.

That leads to two issues, first, with each iteration you are basically creating a new fanbase from the people that jump from one edition to the next plus newcomers, the end result is a bunch of fanbases around a common brand (D&D) with such divergent cultures that cross dialogue is very difficult.

On the other hand, BRP might have different fanbases but at least the language is similar enough to facilitate a dialogue, want to use Magic World skill pyramids with Mythras? go ahead. Want to play OpenQuest with legend maneuvers baked in?, sure, it might take a bit of work but it´s perfectly doable. Bonus die in mythras? I don´t know why would you want something like that, but if it makes you happy, more power to you

Yes, all true . . . And it was a joke :grin:

Welcome!

Yeah its easy to mix and match with BRP.

As an example, I still prefer the numerical modifiers from earlier editions of CoC, and use them in CoC 7E.
However if I am running Pulp Cthulhu then I use the CoC7E Bonus/Penalty Dice when the characters are using their Pulp Talents - it just feels more fun and 'pulpy'.

As another example, I like the success levels in CoC 7E, so I port the Hard Success (half chance) into Mythras. This way I can still use the usual BRP rule wherein 'the best success wins', as the Mythras 'black jack' resolution feels counter-intuitive to me - it's just personal preference.

It works perfectly and doesnt feel Frankensteined at all, it's easy to cherry pick BRP rules across editions

The Mythras Companion already has a skill pyramid as an optional char gen rule, so that's a sign that cherry picking BRP mechanics is not just for home brew tinkerers.

So all this is a pretty good strength of the BRP family of games.

Last edited:
How has the AP scale held out? Is plate always in the 6-8 range? I know most BRP systems get rid of the separate padding, so I think I've seen plate as 8 instead of 6 +1 or 2 for padding. The key to ease of porting between different BRP games is that the scales of things remain pretty much constant. 3d6 attributes, mostly the same set of attributes, the d100 resolution being so easy to understand means skills are pretty much on the same scale (I never played Ring World so I don't know how those 1000% skills work out in play though...). I do see Mythras uses a slightly different hit location chart and I know different versions of RQ had slight differences in hit points per location (and I have my own hit point house rules) so stat blocks may need a once over before using in a different game.

The big differences I think are in combat and magic systems, which of course will make each game play differently.

I think its pretty easy to use a Mythras stat block with the classic RQ stat block, and vice versa.

It's not always exact, but if you add +1HP to all RQ Hit Locations then it's more or less the Mythras Hit Locations, or close enough to play at the gaming table in any case

Skills port easily, as Mythras tends to have broader skills than RQ, and it's easy to pick what you need in play.

Mythras Magic is different, but close enough to portray RQ Gloranthan Magic, but yeah some things are a little different. I slightly prefer the Mythras version, but it's not an exact port. In play the general vibe feels similar however.

Combat is similar enough to RQ to get the gist, but it is different.

No SR in Mythras, it has Initiative Order (which also takes in account encumberance, so it covers the same ground as RQ SR). There are weapon Reach rules as well, which was also covered by RQ SR.

The main thing is there are lots of combat manuvers available in Mythras, which cover RQ specials and criticals, as well as spot rules. It can work well by rolling first, then describing the action, but you can also state intention and see if you can do it.

Some people say the amount of options are confusing for newbies - possibly so, but its very easy to pick up, especially for RQ players.

I don't think Mythras combat is objectively better than RQ combat ( they are very similar), but it does flow more how I like to do things these days.

Mythras Armour is more or less on a similar scale to RQ, although names may be different in some cases. There are also rules for variation in quality and materials.

Although I still tend to 'think' in RQ armour terms, I do I like how Mythras armour is divided into two categories: Flexible and Rigid

Flexible covers Natural/Cured, Padded/Quilted, Laminated, and Scaled.

Rigid covers Half Plate, Mail, Plate Mail, and Articulated Mail.

Each one of those armour types can portray a wide range of armour

For example, Natural/Cured covers furs, hides, leather etc and is 1 AP.

In terms of Plate, there is Half Plate which covers things like Hoplite armour etc which is 5 AP, up to Articulated Plate which covers things like gothic/jousting suits etc which is 8 AP.

From memory, I think you are considered to be already wearing padding under any of the Rigid Armour suits, so I think the value is already calculated in the AP amount. But if you don't put on the suit you can still wear the 1 AP padding by itself.

I think that is right, but I don't have my Mythras book here to check at present.

To me Mythras feels very much like RQ, which it really is, except authors had some different ideas for a few of the mechanics.

I really like both RQ and Mythras, but the later appeals to me slightly moreso at present :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Off topic, but I couldn't mentioning that I normally use Paragonlost as my forum posting on a lot of forums, or Acmegamer as a secondary. So everytime you post I double check myself when I'm reading the post thinking that I posted. lol

I've got about two or three handles I use in order of not-already--taken; this one actually tends to get used in boards with a superhero focus normally.

On the subject of compatibility, I’m considering doing Masks of Nyarlahotep with Mythras. Anyone done any CoC with Mythras and have advice?

On the subject of compatibility, I’m considering doing Masks of Nyarlahotep with Mythras. Anyone done any CoC with Mythras and have advice?
I ran 'Beyond the Mountains of Madness' with Mythras last year at PeteCon. It works great, but think about how you'll use the different SAN loss scores for Mythos beasties, and which SAN mechanism you'll use with Mythras. I used the SAN mechanism from Arkwright, but didn't adjust the SAN loss in one instance which caused one of the characters to run gibbering for his life, and never to return.

I know Mythras can easily handle Mythos, but perhaps 'Raiders of R'lyeh' may also be useful here.

RoR is an indie BRP game, and it is essentially a close cousin of both OpenQuest and Mythras, but used for Mythos.
I'ld suggest grabbing the pdf at least, as it will have things like Cthulhu creatures etc, but the rules themselves are good to run.

From memory the skill structure is built off OQ, but it has career backgrounds like the heavier BRP games (obviously influenced by CoC). It also has combat options which are heavily influenced by the Mythras combat manuvers. It also has Hit Locations, which I think may be similar to the Mythras Hit Locations - I need to check, but if it is the RQ Hit Locations then I just add 1HP to each location for non-humanoids

It has a bestiary, so having Cthulhu critters with hit locations may also be useful

Luck Pts are called 'Mettle', and there is an optional Talent system to pulp things up somewhat - ideal for surviving a long campaign like MoN.

RoR is what I would prefer to play my Mythos games with, but I won't confuse my players by converting to it - I converted them from CoC 3/4 E to 7E, so converting to this will only disrupt them.

RoR is definately worth hunting the pdf down to take a look

RoR has more Mythras influence than it was originally intended, as it was meant to be based only on OQ.

When it was initially in development it described itself to backers as OQ for a Pulp Mythos. Given that Pulp Cthulhu was not yet out, this was attractive for the Pulp Talents and the fact that it had skills bases of stat+stat (my preference). It also would of just tailored the OQ builds of Everyman/Rogue, Combatant/Fighter, and Academic/Arcane for Investigators. Sometimes less is more, you can cover most character concepts with those broad builds. It sounded like a simple port from CoC to me.

By the time it was published, RoR had moved to full career builds, hit locations, combat manuvers, etc which clearly felt more Mythras-style than OQ. It is a good game, but it isn't what I originally envisioned.

I don't know how much RoR acknowledges the influences of Mythras, and that bit doesn't sit well with me.

Another option is just to milk RoR for the Mythos creature stats, and run the rest as Mythras. That may be easier for players as well.

I have the Mythras Companion, but haven't given it a deep dive yet. From memory I think it has the Sanity mechanism from Luther Arkwright, and rules for Pulp characters so these will obviously be good for running MoN.
Don't underestimate the lethality in MoN, it can really surprise both GM and players, so having the Pulp character rules will help a little bit.

I think getting the right dial for SAN is the biggest hurdle, as well as conversion to Mythras Hit Locations.

All the Investigator concepts can easily be portrayed with the Mythras careers, and I would just replace the names for Civilised and Barbarian backgrounds to Urban/Suburban and Rural backgrounds.

The Mythos magic should be able to port across nicely, although again it is the SAN dial that needs attention.

MoN is a great campaign, it is an undertaking, but well worth running if you can go the distance :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Yea, I have RoR. Busily compiling my resources. Our gov just announced all counties will be going to Phase 3, which means in person gaming. Of course we will backslide because we are a horrible county, but it’s a start. Also Biden just announced all states need to make vaccines available to all adults, so I can see us having real in person gaming by mid-June quite easily.

Yea, I have RoR. Busily compiling my resources. Our gov just announced all counties will be going to Phase 3, which means in person gaming. Of course we will backslide because we are a horrible county, but it’s a start. Also Biden just announced all states need to make vaccines available to all adults, so I can see us having real in person gaming by mid-June quite easily.
Best of luck with the pandemic numbers settling down for you. At least you've got to mid-year to prepare for MoN - it is huge!

Last edited:
And after reading you all now I want to look into Odd Soot (which I can't because of Brexit), I'm about to start the Two-Headed Serpent campaign with a mix of CoC 7e, Pulp Cthulhu and Delta Green... And basically finding myself knee-deep in BRP-related stuff. I'm even re-reading M-SPace which brings way too close to Mythras....

But since I grew up on heavy rations of Runequest 3e (the Avalon Hill's box set), CoC, Stormbringer and Hawkmoon maybe I'm just coming back home.

Curse you rpgpub !

I have 'The Two Headed Serpent', and is looks like a great campaign for Pulp Cthulhu! If I hadn't already started on MoN then I would of chose it.

My own Pulp Cthulhu campaign is in hiatus. We were doing various CoC adventures which eventually fell into the sprawling MoN campaign. We worked thru the New York and England chapters, but kinda lost steam during near the end of the Egypt chapter.

If we ever play Pulp Cthulhu again then the players will want those characters, and I'll have to return to running MoN.
Otherwise The Two Headed Serpent would be much higher on my agenda to run.

Yes, RPG Pub is not good for kicking our BRP addictions :grin:

Last edited:
I used the SAN mechanism from Arkwright, but didn't adjust the SAN loss in one instance which caused one of the characters to run gibbering for his life, and never to return.
did you have any standard for adjustment? step down a die?

Weirdly, the oldest rpg I have, as in the book I've had in my possession the longest, is the RQIII Basic and Adcanced books, as reprinted by Games Workshop.

I've had them literally since they came out in the mid to late 80s. But never actually played that iteration of the BRP rules.

Last edited:
I'm looking at Lulu at present, and see that there are two listings for the Mythras corebook:

* Mythras $USD 29.99 Published 07/12/16
* Mythras (Hardback) $ USD 35.99 Published 02/07/21

They are both hardcover books and the same edition, but does anyone know what the differences are between these versions?

I presume it's just errata, but happy to know if any other differences

Last edited:
I'm looking at Lulu at present, and see that there are two listings for the Mythras corebook:

* Mythras $USD 29.99 Poblished 07/12/16
* Mythras (Hardback) $ USD 35.99 Published 02/07/21

They are both hardcover books and the same edition, but does anyone know what the differences are between these versions?

I presume it's just errata, but happy to know if any other differences
The $29.99 version is softcover. $35.99 is hardcover.

The $29.99 version is softcover. $35.99 is hardcover.
Yeah I eventually realised my error
I should of came back here and deleted my query
Thanks for replying Loz :thumbsup:

Reactions: Loz
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back