Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
That's pretty much how I view it, but I have also read some rather robust debates regarding whether or not Pendragon is BRP

I would consider Pendragon BRP adjacent. It is too far removed to be properly considered BRP in my opinion. Certainly mechanically related but in addition to the mechanics the whole play style is just so different with the whole seasons and generational aspects. I have a hard time seeing how it could be argued to be anything more than taking mechanical inspiration from BRP.

So, that leads to the question, what's required for a game to be called a BRP game?

(I mean this in the sense that fans of the BRP system would play it, and recognize it as at least "close enough" to provide the same entertainment that say Mythras or OpenQuest does).

Rough stab:
  • Skill + Attribute with figured characteristics
  • No classes and levels
  • No hit dice / gaining hit points over time
  • gameplay based skill advancement (bare minimum is some kind of "experience rolls", extra points if these are limited to skills used)
  • Skill based magic system
  • Opposed rolls for combat
  • Armor reduces damage, skill(s) reduce opponents chance to hit
Agree? Disagree? What would you add to or subtract from this list?

• No classes and levels
  • gameplay based skill advancement (bare minimum is some kind of "experience rolls", extra points if these are limited to skills used)

In bold I would agree are important elements

I don't think a switch to d20 from d100 s disqualifying as long as the skills remain % based (based on 5% blocks instead of 1%). This change is just not that big of a deal to me.

I can't imagine levels working, but classes as in more solid templates wouldn't necessarily be a deal killer as long as not too rigid. I could certainly see some starting "classes" to simplify chargen being not too objectionable.

Kind of meh on hit points, D&D style with increasing hit points is pretty much out since levels is out, but I'm not too committed to the RQ style of hit points / hit locations. I would certainly consider some alternative methods.

Skills increasing through gameplay / experience is an important element, but again, I'm not too committed to any one particular style as there are already a variety of options within the accepted BRP family.

I'm not sure what you are calling opposed rolls, roll to hit vs roll to parry / dodge / block? I'd actually consider some options here acceptable. A true opposed roll (direct skill vs skill) in place of the current roll to hit vs roll to parry / dodge / block could potentially be an interesting and faster playing option.

Armor as damage reduction is a pretty solid feature, not sure what you mean by the second part unless you are referring to parry / dodge / block which I've addressed above.

Classes map onto professions handily, especially where professional skills are restricted. D&D would have been much better off if they had used the word profession instead of class, anyway, I don't know what they were thinking - no common meaning of class could map onto fighter or cleric or magic-user.

I think opposed rolls vs. the resistance tables are actually one of the bigger differences between BRP "core" and its derivatives, and even that is not a red line in "what is BRP".

I can see that people don't care about the difference between D20 vs. D100 as long as they are being used in the same way, though instinctively I feel that D20 is a big change especially where granularity is concerned because you immediately lose any probabilities below 5%. But 5% is neither here nor there as far as resolution goes, so I'll happily switch to D20 as it makes many things easier.

I think I'd like to run something in (house ruled) Mythras.

But I find the skill list a bit unwieldy.

Any BRP fans, if the skill list for an episodic, humans only (as PCs), Sword & Sorcery game were culled down to the following, do you think that's workable? Would you enjoy such a smaller skill list?
  • Command (lead, intimidate, inspire, etc)
  • Deceive (lie, cheat, manipulate)
  • Finesse (pick pockets, sleight of hand)
  • Labor (wreck stuff, dig holes, etc)
  • Prowl (sneak, shadow, hide, etc)
  • Study (research, physical searching)
  • Survey (perception)
  • Survive (forage, hunt, track, navigate, etc)
  • Sway (persuade, seduce, taunt, etc)
  • Traverse (running, jumping, swimming, climbing, etc)
  • Tinker (locks, traps, clockwork invention, etc)
  • Martial skills would be Combat Styles from Mythras
  • Magic would play out a bit like Styles (this would be mostly home-brew, with multiple skills involved)
Put another way, what does a long list of profession related, or more specific skills add to the gameplay in your experience? (again, assuming episodic sword and sorcery play)

So, that leads to the question, what's required for a game to be called a BRP game?

(I mean this in the sense that fans of the BRP system would play it, and recognize it as at least "close enough" to provide the same entertainment that say Mythras or OpenQuest does).

Rough stab:
  • No classes and levels
RQ1/2 doesn't have skill based magic...
  • I don't know what you mean with your first bullet point. Skills are either stat+stat+skill points, or stat x2+ skill points, or base+skill points. Are you talking about derived attributes calculated from primary characteristics?
  • Some BRP systems use experience rolls for skill improvement, others are "get better with use", so there's no universality there.
  • Not all magic systems are skill-based across BRP systems. It's pedantic, but combat is usually handled with differential rolls, where degrees of success are compared, not just straight opposed rolls, but in general you are correct, that attacks and defense are active.
  • Last bit: armor is ablative, but skills don't reduce opponent chance to hit. Avoiding a hit is an active skill.
But you are correct that hit points are fairly static (there can be exceptions, but not worth getting into here), there are no classes and levels.
RQ1/2 has Defense that subtracts from opponents attack chance...

Any characterization of BRP that would exclude RQ1/2 has a problem...

I really wonder IS there actually a sufficient set of stuff that is common between every game that directly traces lineage back to RQ1 that doesn't cast a net so wide it includes games that have no connection to any of those games.

RQ1/2 doesn't have skill based magic...

I really wonder IS there actually a sufficient set of stuff that is common between every game that directly traces lineage back to RQ1 that doesn't cast a net so wide it includes games that have no connection to any of those games.
That's why I think the criteria has to be a list and then there's "x out of Y points on the list". Otherwise like you said, the criteria get too large and vague. Magic World doesn't have skill-based magic either for instance.

I've never played RQ2 (or 1), I was always under the impression that you parried blows in that system, but my bad if I somehow excluded the original BRP game(s) on that criteria. In any event, it's still about oppositional forces; you don't just hit something because you rolled well, your defender's skill has something to say about it, vs. being gear dependent, like D&D for instance (yes, yes Dexterity has an influence too)

I'm starting to discover that while I really appreciate all of the intricate details for a PC in Mythras/Runequest, I think I like to play it more loose with NPCs and antagonists.

Raleel Raleel and Bilharzia Bilharzia (maybe others too) have shared this handy chart that I've actually used to quickly stat up NPCs on the fly. It might be useful for other BRP games too.

thetable_daoc.png

I've never played RQ2 (or 1), I was always under the impression that you parried blows in that system, but my bad if I somehow excluded the original BRP game(s) on that criteria. In any event, it's still about oppositional forces; you don't just hit something because you rolled well, your defender's skill has something to say about it, vs. being gear dependent, like D&D for instance (yes, yes Dexterity has an influence too)
From my memory, opponents do roll Parry in RQ1 and RQ2, just like the RQ editions that follow.
However, in RQ1/2 opponents often had an additional Defense trait that automatically reduced the attacker's combat skill. It wasn't much, about -5% to -10%.
Defense represented the opponent's general manuverability. In RQ3 onwards it was dropped in favour of opponents rolling Parry or Dodge skills
(In Mythras, opponents roll opposing Combat Skill or Evade skill)

Last edited:
From my memory, opponents do roll Parry in RQ1 and RQ2, just like the RQ editions that follow.
However, in RQ1/2 opponents often had an additional Defense trait that automatically reduced the attacker's combat skill. It wasn't much, about -5% to -10%.
Defense represented the opponent's general manuverability. In RQ3 onwards it was dropped in favour of opponents rolling Parry or Dodge skills
(In Mythras, opponents roll opposing Combat Skill or Evade skill)
Right, in RQ 1/2, some characters have a Defense ability based on INT, DEX, POW, and SIZ with INT and DEX being "strong" contributors, POW being a "minor" contributor, and SIZ being a negative "minor" contributor. If greater than zero, it can improve with experience (requiring it to make a difference when being attacked - i.e. the attacker missed because of the penalty, and then requiring an INT x 1% roll to improve).

"strong" contributor is +5% for 13-16 and +5% for each +4 after, -10% for 1-4, -5% for 5-8.
"minor" contributor is +5% for 17-20 and +5% for each +4 after, -5% for 1-4.

SIZ is reversed.

The near perfect elf in my campaign started with a 40% Defense (improved to 45% with experience). If he resisted sacrificing POW for Rune Spells, and made it to 21 POW, he would have an additional 5%. If he could somehow increase INT to racial max (or at least 1 point above the 24 max that can be rolled), that would be another +5%.

For more normal PCs, it's not unusual to see a 15% Defense (one of INT or DEX at 17-20, and the other at 13-16 or POW at 17+ and SIZ <17) and 20% is not really remote.

Rough stab:
  • No classes and levels
GURPS hits most of those as highlighted in bold...

And how many games we would all agree are BRP don't have the two not highlighted?

The game play based skill advancement MAY be one of the more ubiquitous BRP game traits though.

But there's the problem... We can come up with a list that easily excludes large swaths of RPGs, but can we come up with a list that has very few games that would qualify that none of us would consider BRP games?

Any BRP fans, if the skill list for an episodic, humans only (as PCs), Sword & Sorcery game were culled down to the following, do you think that's workable? Would you enjoy such a smaller skill list?
  • Survey (perception)
  • Magic would play out a bit like Styles (this would be mostly home-brew, with multiple skills involved)
Put another way, what does a long list of profession related, or more specific skills add to the gameplay in your experience? (again, assuming episodic sword and sorcery play)

we've actually discussed this a bit up thread. The primary thing to be concerned with is how many standard skills you are dropping and relative number of points available.

the long list of pro skills really defines what your campaign is about. if it is not about gold mining, lore (mining) is going to be of very limited use. if it is going to be a multicultural bonanza ala travelling around the hyborian age, languages might well be important, and conan having some solid knowledge in many of them is a huge advantage. I don't think there is a problem with combining SOME skills, but combine strategically to make sure it's defining your game. the rest never make an appearance, or maybe always appear on NPCs as "Bob the Scholar, Lore (Astronomy) 80%"

one thing I do with pro skills to make them a little more attractive is give them a buff in what they can do. Consider acrobatics, which can act as evade but you don't go prone. Or medicine, which can do first aid just fine, but also lets you heal more serious wounds. I often give a 1 step bonus to a pro skill when it applies, and leave the standard skill as normal. I might do a penalty for a standard skill and an unmodified roll for a pro skill. This is often a good place to combine skills to increase scope- a "thief" skill that covers picking pockets and opening locks is an incredibly powerful tool specifically because it focuses your points. Compare this to folk magic, which is a pro skill, but depending on what you have access to, can provide a pretty broad, and growable, breadth of ability.

I often give a 1 step bonus to a pro skill when it applies, and leave the standard skill as normal.
That's brilliant; I'm very much going to use that so that my players don't start to wonder about the overlap.

That's brilliant; I'm very much going to use that so that my players don't start to wonder about the overlap.
i should warn you, the difference between a bonus and a penalty there is pretty big - 33% off of a 30% in a skill is only 10%. a Bonus is 15% up. with higher skills it gets a little odd, so you might want to ponder which you prefer. Psychologically, bonus feels nicer for the players, but also means your 50% in a pro skill that has an applicable standard skill is doing quite a lot better.

Revolution D100 has by far the best skill system in any version of BRP that I have come across.
Unfortunately I always have trouble reading the RD100 book, likely on account that English is the author's second language.
Despite this, Paolo Guccione sure knows how to simplify the BRP skill list, yet retain granularity and specialities.

1662496757928.png

Revolution D100 has by far the best skill system in any version of BRP that I have come across.
Unfortunately I always have trouble reading the RD100 book, likely on account that English is the author's second language.
Despite this, Paolo Guccione sure knows how to simplify the BRP skill list, yet retain granularity and specialities.

View attachment 49453

Thank you for reminding me of Revolution d100, I keep meaning to check it out, but then get distracted by something shiny.

Revolution D100 handles skill lists in a really intuitive way. It has a small, core set of skills, with effectively user-defined subskills beneath them. It is a really elegant way of doing things.
Agreed.

Revolution D100 handles skill lists in a really intuitive way. It has a small, core set of skills, with effectively user-defined subskills beneath them. It is a really elegant way of doing things.

Agreed.
I agree also. I have never seen a game with such an elegant skill system as what Revolution offers. One of these days, I am going to create a Magic World character sheet that uses Revolution's skills system. Then right after that I am going to get someone to run a Revolution game for me!

• Survey (perception)
What's the problem? Just count the normal number of skills+3, count your skills (I don't think you have any professional skills), divide the latter by the former. You just received a number that's below 1. Multiply the normal number of points by that and by all means, round up to the nearest round number (i.e. 240, 250 and so on:grin:)!

I don't see an issue with a smaller number of skills, honestly. Age of Shadows has a similar number of skills and I don't see a problem there, either:thumbsup:.

• Survey (perception)

You could reduce the skills, but funnily enough most of the skills on your list are already covered by Mythras standard skills, just with different names ...

Deceit = Deceive
Sleight or Conceal = Finesse
Brawn = Labor
Stealth = Prowl
Perception = Survey
Survival = Survive
Influence = Sway
Athletics = Traverse
Mechanisms = Tinker

The list you have is already close to the standard skill list. Ones that are not on there are Endurance (which I think is difficult to get rid of), Evade (again, difficult to lose), Boating (could be easily ditched depending on campaign), Customs (you might need for social interactions), First Aid (difficult to lose), Insight (the opposite of Deceit, difficult to lose), Ride (might not be needed), Willpower (difficult to lose).

I am not sure there is that much wrong with the standard list, if you are going with skills at all. You can't remove Endurance, Evade, Insight and Willpower without major changes elsewhere.

Personally I am trying a radical reduction of skills, combined with specialisms which give bonuses, sort of like Revolution d100 but much more pared down and clearer.

Does anyone have a copy of RIngworld? I understand that it has a rather innovative skills system.
I don't have it but I can remember it. I am not sure I would describe it as innovative, more like noodly. It had the idea of base skills, and specialisms from that. So if you had a Drive skill, after a certain point you could add a Drive - Skoda skill as a specialism (branch?). To me it was crazily hair-splitting, looking back it was from that era of rpgs that just threw a huge amount of detail at a game hoping doing that would improve it.

I suppose if it was innovative, it was because none of those specialisms were pre-defined, the player and GM could just say - ok you can now have a specialism starting with your base skill. Now I would say "We already have 50 skills!!! We don't need more!".

It is not that exciting. It has The Root Skill and Branch Skill system.

Every skill starts with a base chance. Skills are marked as either S (single) or R Roots.

Each Root skill in a category has a maximum score based on attributes. As you can tell there are five categories. (note the skills listed are usually R skills).

AGILITY: the explorer's quickness and muscular
control. Root skill maximum: STR +
DEX. Skills: Archaic Melee Weapons, Archaic
Ranged Weapons, Athletics, Hide, Sneak, Unarmed
Combat, Variable Sword/Flashlight
Laser (VW/FL).

COMMUNICATION: the explorer's ability to
impart, understand, and manipulate information.
Root skill maximum: INT + APP. Skills:
Bargain, Debate, Fast Talk, Fine Arts, Musicianship,
Orate, Own Language, Perform,
Psychology.

KNOWLEDGE: the explorer's formal learning.
Root skill maximum: INT + EDU. Skills:
Anthropology, Astronomy, Biology, Botany,
Chemistry, Computers, Emergency Treatment,
Engineering, Farming, History, Law,
Mathematics, Physics, Planetology, Second
Languages, Strategy, Theology, Zoology.

PERCEPTION: the explorer's sensory and
concentration abilities. Root skill maximum:
POW + CON. Skills: Handgun (energy and
projectile), Heavy Weapon (energy and projectile),
Listen, Observe, Scent, Search, Track.

TECHNICAL: the explorer's ability to comprehend
and use instruments, structures, and
devices. Root skill maximum: DEX + INT.
Skills: Aquatic Vehicle, Atmospheric Craft,
Ground Vehicle, Hyperdrive, Personal Flyer,
Reaction Drive, Reactionless Drive, Repair,
Ringworld, Weapons System.

Roots skills are the Root skills are often used for skills you don't have. (Except for those listed with bases different than the root.) You develop root skill (either via spent points or advancement rolls) up to the max. Once you have reached that, the root can advance no father.

From the max Root skill develops Branches. These are specific skills (s) that are developed beyond the Root level. So you have Ground Vehicle which maxes out 26%, but you can develop Tracked Vehicle, Automobile, Race Car, Ground Effects Vehicle, Motorcycle, beyond the root. So you can do all of them at your ground vehicle score, up to its root score, but if you reach beyond that... let us say Motorcycle ... you can increase that single skill up to 100%

The system made for well developed characters with bits of lesser skills to go with the skills they spend a lot of points on. Also remember that these characters can be immortal, so they can have more skill points than most GMs want to deal with. ("You rolled how may pursuits?!?!?!)

While several chronicles were proposed, none seemed to get off the ground. That is a shame. It was a really well done game with rules that were top tier for the time, and adapted to several other BRP games.

I still use a version of Ringworld's Root/Branch system in Mythras for sciences. Characters can make a basic Science roll (INTx2) for any field where they have no expertise, but have obviously undergone scientific training before specialising. But if they have a specialist Science skill, that is used in all relevant situations.

I introduced some brand new players to Mythras this past week. We did character creation, but I had prepared everything in advance to keep things as simple as possible.

Basically we used the Skill Pyramid from the Companion, and I got their Standard and Professional skill lists ready ahead of time (Vikings, so it was Barbarian Culture + whichever career they chose in advance). We didn’t bother dealing with attributes (other than rolling them). It really went smoothly. I’ll be filling out their sheets in Foundry later.

However the characters were a bit uneven in tone and seriousness. One guy made Värmod Hjarrandisson, a man of fiery temper on a tragic path of vengeance. The other was “Båk Stabbath”, a conniving, pyromaniacal church burning thief who looks like a 20-year old Ozzy Osbourne.

I admit that I laughed for a good 10 minutes.

In the mid 2000s I created my own BRP character sheet, which RD100 reminds me quite a bit of.

It used the RQ Skill Categories as actual Skills (Base chance - Primary attribute 1=1%, Secondary attribute 2=1%), and I then allowed for a small handful of speciality skills after that.

The remainder of the rules was pretty much RQ3

I quite liked it, but lost those files. When I saw RD100's sheet I was pretty happy to see that someone else had a similar idea :shade:

So who's excited about the Rivers of London RPG coming soon? I know I am...
l am interested in seeing how Rivers of London goes for BRP.
My friend has read the novel series, and he is likely to GM this once it is published. No doubt I will buy the core book, but I will leave the remainder of the line for him to collect.

I’m not a big d100 guy but I actually think Mythras’ skill list is pretty pared down. I think I like it better than the list in Destined, honestly. When you compare to a game like Star Wars D6 where there’s like 150+ skills, +/- 40 isn’t bad. The only game I like a very small list is, surprise surprise, DCH.

I yield to no man in my love of both BRP and Rivers of London. Rivers is undoubtedly twee. I would describe its undercurrent, however, as tristesse. It might be incredibly hard to capture the right tone at the table.

I’m not a big d100 guy
1663068114055.gif
but I actually think Mythras’ skill list is pretty pared down. I think I like it better than the list in Destined, honestly
Interesting. I don’t think they are that different, but what do you like better about the Mythras one? Specifically, thinking about the standard skills becuase the pro skills are largely whatever you like.

I use the PCs choice of very specific Professional skills as prompts for adventure.

In my Monster Island campaign, a PC chose Craft (weaving) but in the main settlement there are no weavers because there is not cotton (or other plants) to use to make fabric. All of it is imported.

HOWEVER, that's just because the only excursions into the jungle have been for food and treasure. No one has gone in there looking for useful plants. The character now has a strong urge to explore the island when she didn't before (wasn't interested in treasure or hunting monsters). She's certain that there must be some kind of plant suitable to making fabric because the ruins of Grimsand (Kapala) shows bas-relief sculptures of ancient people wearing cloth fabrics (skirts, sarongs, etc...).

Setting up a business in Grimsand is one of the sure-fire ways of raising your reputation, so this is perfect.

I’m not a big d100 guy but I actually think Mythras’ skill list is pretty pared down. I think I like it better than the list in Destined, honestly.
I see only small differences beyond changes for a modern setting. Destined also has a smaller number of skills compared to core Mythras.

Given how long overdue the RoR project was, I'm a little more cautious about this one...
I had heard that it was slow getting out. Was the beta pdf done for that one on Kickstarter release?

By the look of it the original Kickstarter backers will get this free by way of an apology. There is a 68-page sample for immediate download by anyone else
Hmmm that is quite decent of Quentin Bauer, it may win back some support.
The content he puts out is very good.

Last edited:
I had heard that it was slow getting out. Was the beta pdf done for that one on Kickstarter release?
I think there was a rough version early on, but I can't really remember as it was a while ago. The project was several years overdue, and Quentin's communication was quite poor at that time.

But the end result was quite good.

A new addition is coming with the Comae Engine. from the Frostbyte press email

The Comae Engine: Recasting d100 Roleplaying

After four years of brain picking and three scrapped versions, The Comae Engine is finally ready!

These d100 rules take the conflict mechanics of Odd Soot and M-SPACE, building a compact game around them, fitting within 40 pages. Everything is instantly recognisable if you’ve played any of my previous games - or any classic d100 game really.

Together with Mike Larrimore (author of Destined and Elevation) and William Yon (RPG expert and game aficionado), I ripped everything out to stay as close as possible to Mythras, reducing game mechanics to the most essential parts (instead of just cutting away big chunks and leave nothing behind but a bland simplification).

In many ways, this is Mythras Ultra-Lite. Switching between the full Mythras rules from TDM, Mythras Imperative (that powers both Odd Soot and M-SPACE) and Comae Engine is almost seamless. A single ruleset, three levels of complexity.

Who is Comae Engine for?

d100 RPGs has been around for 40 years, in more versions than you can count. So, who is Comae Engine designed for?

• You like d100 games but prefer quick and simple rules, without losing flexibility.
  • You want to create tense scenes without always resorting to violence. Social conflicts, chases, research and complex tasks play important parts in your scenarios.
  • You feel limited by traditional RPG’s focus on combat, but prefer rules you are accustomed to.
  • You enjoy M-SPACE, Odd Soot and Mythras as they are, but sometimes need a barebones version to play with family and non-gamer friends.
  • You play solo RPGs and need simple d100 mechanics to keep storytelling nimble.
  • You prefer simple rules, but want more complexity in key areas - like magic, superpowers or starship design - to better suit your campaign.
If any of these sound like you, Comae Engine is worth checking out next week. It will be released on December 7 along with The Red Star. I will have more details for you in the next installment.

as we were talking about an ultralight d100 waaaaaaay up thread, I figured it is worth mentioning.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back