Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Their PDFs tend to be half the price of the printed book. Their book prices have been a bit high. It makes it hard for me to justify spending on them. That's actually as much a factor in me not jumping to RQG as the rules changes.
Well I do know they offer a free PDF with a physical book, but with the hardcover not being released until later in the year I have to wonder if they would actually deduct the difference? That said, I'll probably end up buying it if it gets good reviews; I seem to have a compulsion for anything with D100 or BRP in its DNA

Well I do know they offer a free PDF with a physical book, but with the hardcover not being released until later in the year I have to wonder if they would actually deduct the difference? That said, I'll probably end up buying it if it gets good reviews; I seem to have a compulsion for anything with D100 or BRP in its DNA
Chaos HQ FAQ, it say:
Q: If I buy just the PDF from Chaosium.com and later want to upgrade to the physical product do I get the discount?
A: Yes!
  • If the PDF is released first, you'll get the full price of the PDF off as a discount when the print version comes out. We'll send you a coupon by email on the day the physical book is released.

Did someone say there will be a free SRD at some point?
Kind of forgot about it being an open product. That said I still like dead tree books and formatted text in a PDF, but that's a good "kick the tires" strategy.

Well, I'm sure it won't be long before someone puts up an editable version of the ORC content text somewhere. Which is why I was a bit taken aback by that pricetag, because once that happens I don't imagine there will be too many sales of the actual book. If people want a hard copy they could assemble their preferred options and PoD it, leaving out all those optional rules they don't need.

Their PDFs tend to be half the price of the printed book. Their book prices have been a bit high. It makes it hard for me to justify spending on them. That's actually as much a factor in me not jumping to RQG as the rules changes.

In Canada their books are priced fine, even a bit cheaper than most.

In Canada their books are priced fine, even a bit cheaper than most.
Well, maybe I should say that their book prices have been a bit high for my budget. I can't drop $40-50 on a book unless it's really going to be helpful to me. $25 PDFs are a bit out of my range. The prices may be fair prices considering the page count and quantity and quality of art, but they just are too rich for me.

So far this is a very good book with a lot of options like the Spot Rules. Plenty of skills for all eras and genres. I do think they could go over it with another editing pass as I’m seeing references to APP where there is no such characteristic in this edition.

A few years ago I would have been so excited with this, but these days Mythras covers all my BRP needs

Looking at the preview character sheet here it seems like the system looks pretty much the same as presented in the original BGB.

Having saId that, it looks like a good quality production so I am likely to acquire it at some stage, but it will be many moons from now

I do think they could go over it with another editing pass as I’m seeing references to APP where there is no such characteristic in this edition.
Stuff happens and all but come on. Really? *sigh* it’s a decades old book. This should be s search and fix operation in a text doc. I will wait for it to be edited

That's actually as much a factor in me not jumping to RQG as the rules changes.
The RQG Starter Set is superb value (even outside of the $1 'screw Wizards!' sale window for the PDF). The price of the hardbacks, especially given how many are notionally necessary especially if you don't go the RQGSS route, I'd tend to agree on.

The RQG Starter Set is superb value (even outside of the $1 'screw Wizards!' sale window for the PDF). The price of the hardbacks, especially given how many are notionally necessary especially if you don't go the RQGSS route, I'd tend to agree on.
Yea, I picked up the Starter Set even though I am unlikely to make much use of the rules.

I'm feeling like I need to buy the thing because I voiced my cranky resolve NOT to buy it if it adopted COC7 changes as the default.
I'll vote with dollars to say I endorse keeping things mostly the same... though I could have hoped for the errata getting fixed.

Last edited:
Chaosium has already noted they will be updating the new pdf next week to fix some typos and the tiny font size on the charts. They have a Corrections thread going in their own forum.

Chaosium has already noted they will be updating the new pdf next week to fix some typos and the tiny font size on the charts. They have a Corrections thread going in their own forum.
Thanks. I’ve not had time to look. I genuinely hope that it all gets fixed and glad it’s being done in the pdf. Yes, pay to alpha test, but their policy on purchase after seems alright.

From TDM via their forums
Classic Fantasy Imperative is intended to be a complete, Open Content, version of Classic Fantasy that GMs and third party creators can use as the basis for their own game systems and variants. While it will share some content from the Unearthed Companion, it will be no means contain all of it, and it will be presented in a very different way. The two are being developed side-by-side. Its likely Classic Fantasy Imperative will appear first, because it's lower-maintenance in terms of art and layout requirements. Unearthed Companion is definitely on track for release this year, and will be extremely useful for Classic Fantasy GMs. It will have content not available via CF Imperative, so most certainly a worthwhile buy for all Classic Fantasy aficionados.

I've never had a problem getting the pdf cost removed from the later physical product once that was released by Chaosium. It is one of the things that they do well. Even if the ball was dropped I've found their customer service email is good about correcting things for you.

I mean I had two slightly blurry pages in the two book slip case Malleus Monstrorum for Call of Cthulhu which rund $90.00 USD. I emailed them about it more to just let them know, I'd actually printed up the two pages from my pdf and slipped them in. I wanted them to know incase it was the whole print run, because I know how nasty customers could be.

Anyhow they asked me to send thema picture which I gladly did. Then processed to shock me by sending me a complete new one though I told them that wasn't necessary.

This, really awesome books. https://www.chaosium.com/malleus-monstrorum-cthulhu-mythos-bestiary-slipcase-set/

Last edited:
A few years ago I would have been so excited with this, but these days Mythras covers all my BRP needs

Looking at the preview character sheet here it seems like the system looks pretty much the same as presented in the original BGB.

Having saId that, it looks like a good quality production so I am likely to acquire it at some stage, but it will be many moons from now
(sigh) I would love to be in your position. I gave one of their books that I own a try again the other week and ran into my same eye fatiguing issues and shut down the pdf. Since Chaosium does much much better in paper color and readable fonts, they're my D100 mainstay until TDM gets their font act together.

Endless Flight Endless Flight !!! ACK! NOooooooooooooooooooo! ::sighs on small font::

Edit edit: Teotwawki Teotwawki Oh, good. Damn I was starting to get all TDM about Chaosium after seeing what Endless Flight posted. lol

So far this is a very good book with a lot of options like the Spot Rules. Plenty of skills for all eras and genres. I do think they could go over it with another editing pass as I’m seeing references to APP where there is no such characteristic in this edition.
What's the page count?

Two things to jump out at me on a first skim through: they dropped Strike Ranks as an option, and they used basically the same combat example (with a changed name for the character).

As a BGB owner I didn't really need this, but it's a handsome volume even in pdf.

Welp. I broke down and bought it. :grin: About to start going through it now. I've been waffling about what I wanted to use to set up a new campaign and I keep going back to BRP adjacent systems, so I might as well have a look at this. If it's like the BGB, it will be a toolbox, and frankly, that's what I need :grin:

So I am looking at running Jackals soon.
How does the game fit into the BRP family as far as the rules are concerned?
If I recall correctly, Jackals is officially based on OpenQuest, which is an excellent part of the family :grin: I have looked over the pdf of Jackals, I thought it a very interesting setting, although it did not quite grab me enough to want to run it.

Welp. I broke down and bought it. :grin: About to start going through it now. I've been waffling about what I wanted to use to set up a new campaign and I keep going back to BRP adjacent systems, so I might as well have a look at this. If it's like the BGB, it will be a toolbox, and frankly, that's what I need :grin:
I would say it is really quite a lot like the BGB. Somebody already linked to the comparison anyway.

If I recall correctly, Jackals is officially based on OpenQuest, which is an excellent part of the family :grin: I have looked over the pdf of Jackals, I thought it a very interesting setting, although it did not quite grab me enough to want to run it.
OpenQuest, I knew that was part of the game's pedigree. Thanks for reminding me! I still have no idea what Openquest is, but it is spoken of well online.
I actually like the setting a fair bit, primarily as it's a different sort of setting than the usual western late-medieval fantasy.

Yeah, that comparison, coming from JD, helps reaffirm my intent to buy the thing. Though I'll probably wait till the fixes are in and the hardcopy is available.

You feel it makes it as far as the beta stage of development, then?
Apparently you aren't the only one to feel that way...

"Having found this forum looking for information on the new version of BRP, I immediately found something that dismayed me:

Does Chaosium crowd-edit all of their new releases? Editing and proofreading are paid work, and by having the community do it, they are reaping the benefits of free labor.

I understand having the community look over a pdf before the book goes to print, but the folks in the corrections thread are doing a lot of unpaid work.

If this is the standard for Chaosium, they are exploiting the passion of the community. Much smaller companies pay for this service before their products are for sale."

I copied the text and included the link in case the mods over there make the thread just go away, kind of like the mods here do to posts they don't like...

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back