Building a Fanzine

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
'Inner Space'

Adventuring within magic items to increase their capabilities. If you've played the video game Disgaea, something along those lines, where the dungeons get progressively more difficult the deeper you go, but the bonus to your item gets greater. Each 'Inner Space' dungeon is protected by Fragments that you must overcome in order to unlock your items potential. These fragments take the form of monsters, traps and riddles (much like a normal dungeon) but once defeated act as caretakers for your item.

Fragments represent tiny portions of the lifeforce and personalities of previous owners, the maker of the item, and intruding powers such as spirits and Demons.

I like the idea of a focused topic for each issue. I haven't done much sci-fi, but I'd be very happy to create some content (a random generator of some kind) and an illustration or two.

I even have some old Dark Heresy modules that I wrote back in the day that I'm very proud of. I could easily re-skin them into generic sci-fi.

What is the most used OGL / Open Source / legal free for 3PP sci-fi products?

Very likely Cephus Engine. But I'm not sure a Traveller article in a fanzine would cause trouble and Traveller is probably more recognizable.

Okay, I'm hearing some good article suggestions but I find myself facing a question I don't know the answer to: how do we move forward from here? How and where do we set up the page? Do we do a front page like rpg.net or do people just skip to the forums too easily? Maybe we could put a new articles / issue header on the index page. I'm open to suggestions.

Anyhow, I'm prone to patiently waiting for permission to do things but I guess I'll be seizing the reins and taking charge on this one.

Do we do a front page like rpg.net or do people just skip to the forums too easily?

In my purely anecdotal experience, busy adults just go straight to the main forum unfortunately.

... but I guess I'll be seizing the reins and taking charge on this one.

h8wDyBY.jpg

Okay, not an auspicious first week as editor and chief. Man, I'll be glad to have the kids out of school.

I'm not 100% sure how to proceed so I'm going to start with a to do list.

RPGPUBlishing Presents: ? Logo
Vision Statement?
Call for articles: should it be put on other forums promotional boards?
First issue target date?
Writer's style guide?
Put out feelers to small publishers for articles / product announcements? The ads were a great part of Dragon magazine.
Call for articles?
Call for Dragon Mirth Style comics.
Call for artwork? Art that matches articles? Do we need a definitive guide to acceptable / tasteful art?
Suggested first issue: Stairs Going Down 12 short dungeons. These could be anything from a cybernet to an abandoned space ship to an enchanted forest but I'm thinking 1 page map and maybe 2 pages of text.
Personals submissions?

I'd love to contribute to a fanzine in any way I can.

Great! Got an adventure, article, cartoon, drawing, or logo we can use?

Nothing yet, but I can definitely contribute some articles. I've considered writing some reviews of older games such as BESM and the related Sailor Moon RPG, and maybe a retrospective article on Vampire: The Masquerade 1e and how it is so starkly different from what came after it.

Floundering but not dead. Really this summer's just run right over me. I need to get back at it, make a call for articles. Since rpg.net seems to be okay with us I might even put it in their ads and open promo forum. I guess I need to set up a g-mail account for it or something. Hot mail, gmail what's best?

I'd recommend outlook.com. Just whatever you do, don't use Yahoo! :p

I'd recommend outlook.com. Just whatever you do, don't use Yahoo! :p
I have an outlook.com address along with a gmail address. I like the outlook.com one, but why do you feel it is better than gmail? Genuine question.

Personal preference. It looks better IMO, and Microsoft supposedly doesn't scan your e-mail messages to serve up advertisements.

Personal preference. It looks better IMO, and Microsoft supposedly doesn't scan your e-mail messages to serve up advertisements.

It does look nice, but Microsoft's history of poking around in people's hotmail and OneDrive accounts with deliberate intent makes me more nervous than Google's advertising algorithms.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back