Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Does anybody know anything about Airship Daedalus? I'm always in the market for a fun pulp game but I know nothing about this one.
I was wondering the same. I haven't been able to find any reviews other than one on Amazon by someone that knows the designer.

It is a cross-media setting - https://airshipdaedalus.com/

It apparently uses skills and stats added together to create a target number and you try to roll less than that on 2d6 (there's a variant with 1d12). Subtracting the roll from the target gives you your margin of success with 2 doubling it and 12 being a critical fail. No separate roll for damage.

Does anybody know anything about Airship Daedalus? I'm always in the market for a fun pulp game but I know nothing about this one.
HIGH-FLYING-2021-2048x1048.jpg

• Simple, cinematic XPG system from Arrowflight, Santa’s Soldiers, RADZ, Shriek X, Mean Streets, and Red Dwarf – The Roleplaying Game [Note: Iiked Arrowflight both mechanically and as a setting]
• Over 20 pulp adventure character archetypes
• Gazetteer of lost cities and civilizations
• Magic and psychic powers
• Bestiary of wild creatures and legendary horrors
• Complete setting based on the Airship Daedalus and A.E.G.I.S. Tales comics and radio serials

XPG is a system designed by Deep7 and used in Mean Streets, Bloode Island XPG, Santa's Soldiers, and Red Dwarf RPG.

Here is an overview of the system:
  • uses 2d6 (with the option of using 1d12 for a different odds spread and gameplay feel)
  • task resolution requires a player to combine a skill with any applicable stat to get a target number and then roll under that target number to succeed, the margin of success is then the degree of task success
  • a natural 12 is a critical failure, a natural 2 is a critical success
  • characters have 6 Primary stats: Agility, Dexterity, Perception, Strength, Intelligence, and Willpower, with 20 points to distribute amongst these
  • characters have 3 Derived stats: Save, Shrug, and Initiative
  • characters have 30 points for skills, with a cap that no skill mat be higher than 4
  • characters can also acquire Assets, Liabilities and/or Behavior Tags
  • physical trauma is simulated by wound level

I’ve had great luck with Deep7’s 1PG games over the years for pickup games. I know this is a different system but based on prior experience with the company I’ll probably pick this up.

Anyone want to give the Cliff's Notes version of why I should buy this? Or not buy this? Besides the "you already have more games than you can play in your limited life expectancy" reason...
TinyD6 is one of my favorite systems for one-shots and short adventure. Character creation is quick, so you can easily create new characters and play in the same session. The system is easy to learn, and - although not a generic-universal system - has enough different genre variants that you can play just about any type of game (and there’s enough compatibility between the various games that you can mix-and-match to kit-bash).

I’ve never played, but I grabbed the bundle as soon as it hit just because it’s fun to read.
Weakened and grabbed it myself. Things that stand out so far in terms of the setting.

It reminds me of League of Extrordinary Gentleman. Specifically the almanac at the back of the comic. Every single lost place of the era seems to be canon.

It's very much at the heroic end of pulp. There are goodies and baddies without grey areas.

Overall view.

It's an excellent game, really well done. I'm unlikely to use it directly - it's very much in the same vein as HEX which I already know well. But as a series of supplements for HEX it's top notch, absolutely loads there to mine.

I don't really know much about this other than the card designs look nice and I like random stuff.

I succumbed to this and Airship Daedalus. I'm a sucker for Steampunk and airships, so just $10? Done.

As random generation stuff goes GMs Apprentice seems decent, and there is a lot of material covering various genres in the bonus pack for a bit less than $20 total. I'm actually probably going to use it to woo my wife with my developing writing skills. I've been having fun writing her some short stories, this will be useful for ideas moving into fantasy and other popular RPG genres.

Last edited:
Overall view.

It's an excellent game, really well done. I'm unlikely to use it directly - it's very much in the same vein as HEX which I already know well. But as a series of supplements for HEX it's top notch, absolutely loads there to mine.
HEX (and the ubiquity system) is one of my favorite games of all time. And as you say the expansions are wonderful.
I picked up airship Daedulus as well so I'm really looking forward to checking it out.

I don’t think it was a good idea to call it “Dungeon Age” since that could make people think it was for the AGE system.

I’d certainly like to hear more. Are these location-based, scenified, faction-based, etc?

I don’t think it was a good idea to call it “Dungeon Age” since that could make people think it was for the AGE system.

I’d certainly like to hear more. Are these location-based, scenified, faction-based, etc?
It's based on the name of the series - you couldn't have named it anything else.

The descriptions are on the BOH page and on that site.

Thanks for the the links. Strangely, I don’t think the Dungeon Age modules are for me.

There’s that, and also the setup of one module, where a group of 1st-3rd level characters are sent to pick up the pieces after an entire fleet fails to return from an attack on the fortress of a group of sorcerers. It could have to do with how I think D&D characters should progress through their careers.

(ETA “strangely” because the creator’s influences are right up my alley, and the modules have garnered high praise.)

There’s that, and also the setup of one module, where a group of 1st-3rd level characters are sent to pick up the pieces after an entire fleet fails to return from an attack on the fortress of a group of sorcerers. It could have to do with how I think D&D characters should progress through their careers.
...so at 1-3 level it makes sense they'd serve someone more powerful, right? Possibly as damage control unit:thumbsup:?

(ETA “strangely” because the creator’s influences are right up my alley, and the modules have garnered high praise.)
OK, that makes sense then. But even in such cases a product doesn't always click up with us, as I can confirm. I've actually stopped being amazed at this fact, it's just a given that sometimes things don't work out.

...so at 1-3 level it makes sense they'd serve someone more powerful, right? Possibly as damage control unit:thumbsup:?
That, yes. But this is the blurb from dtrpg,
Last month, a fleet of holy warships sailed out to destroy the evil sorcerers of the Obsidian Keep.

The fleet never returned.

Today there is a call for righteous heroes (or brave treasure hunters) to find the fleet, rescue the sailors, recover lost treasures, and discover the fate of the cruel masters of the Obsidian Keep!
It seems unrealistic for a small group of mercenaries to take this on. That suggests, to me, that the adventure is massively nerfed (or the DM will have to fudge, but it doesn’t sound like it here).

Now in fairness from reading the sample it seems that the characters are actually going to be walking into the aftermath where both sides got blown up, but the PCs don’t know that going in. If I was playing in the scenario, I’d hear the premise and think, “What makes these guys think that us poor schlubs can deal with a power that destroyed a whole fleet? And if you’ve got the resources to raise a fleet, why are you hiring us?”

I feel with the power curve of D&D and the relative strength of low-level PCs to regular people, the epic stuff like taking on an island of sorcerers whilst subbing for entire fleets or armies shouldn’t be happening at levels 1-3. If it does, it would make me feel like I’m on a treadmill where the challenges are always dressed up as epic while actually being scaled to my level.

Probably I’m missing something, and I didn’t have time to look deeply into the offerings especially after skipping over “this AGE stuff” for a few days.

A bunch of DCC Lankhmar stuff just dropped on bundleofholding.com

I've not had the chance to play this stuff yet (got it during it's Kickstarters) but it was all a really good read.

I like DCC but don't love it. However, Lankhmar is something I think suits DCC. Worst case scenario, I'll now have enough Lankhmar material to run a full campaign in the retroclone of my choice.

A bunch of DCC Lankhmar stuff just dropped on bundleofholding.com

I've not had the chance to play this stuff yet (got it during it's Kickstarters) but it was all a really good read.
I bought DCC specifically to play Lankhmar. I may be missing out on the "full DCC experience", since, aside from a demo game, I've never played DCC proper. That having been said, I'm loving DCC Lankhmar, and so are my players. It definitely has the right "feel."

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back