Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I guess it depends on how much use they see and how much the physical copies are going for:thumbsup:!
Most of the books don't go for much. They got printed in pretty decent quantity and the appetite for crunchy systems has dropped. I know someone is or was working on a Fantasy Grounds ruleset for HERO which might help increase interest in the system.

I'm actually considering grabbing the AEG D20 bundle. Not that I am currently running any D&D, and I have all that stuff in print. But I'd like a lot more of my quick-run adventure resources to be electronic.

I'm actually considering grabbing the AEG D20 bundle. Not that I am currently running any D&D, and I have all that stuff in print. But I'd like a lot more of my quick-run adventure resources to be electronic.
Picked it up. I have most of it in dead tree but I could see offloading those and keeping the electronic version happily.

I decided to nab the Worlds Largest Bundle.

Ultimate Toolbox is probably useful for any d20 Fantasy style RPG, or anything that apes it. And for the longest time, AEG was never discounting it.

I never did pick up World's Largest City in print. I've heard some decent reviews of it; I'm looking forward to seeing what's inside.

Some of these books I never fully embraced because I was a bit of a d20 "core concept" purist at the time. Now that I'm a bit freer with my fantasy mayhem, they may actually get a second look.

Heh. My group was the opposite. We embraced those books... we had to ban them after a while, because so many things were broken in the right combinations. We kept stumbling onto the broken combos by accident.

I decided to nab the Worlds Largest Bundle.

Ultimate Toolbox is probably useful for any d20 Fantasy style RPG, or anything that apes it. And for the longest time, AEG was never discounting it.

I never did pick up World's Largest City in print. I've heard some decent reviews of it; I'm looking forward to seeing what's inside.

Some of these books I never fully embraced because I was a bit of a d20 "core concept" purist at the time. Now that I'm a bit freer with my fantasy mayhem, they may actually get a second look.
I think you may be very disappointed with WLC. I took one look at the map and realized they put about zero effort into merging all the separate authors works into one cohesive product.

Please let me know if you find out I was wrong.

I think you may be very disappointed with WLC. I took one look at the map and realized they put about zero effort into merging all the separate authors works into one cohesive product.

Well, the chance that I'll actually use is as a whole were pretty near zero to begin with. I mostly grab stuff like this with the hopes I can repurpose its maps and idea content for something else.

From what I remember of the reviews, that's the same problem with World's Largest Dungeon, just a hodgepodge of different author's works that makes no sense as a whole.

Makes no sense to get a product like that just because it's the "largest" when there are so many quality megadungeons like Stonehell, Rappan Athuk, Barrowmaze, etc.

From what I remember of the reviews, that's the same problem with World's Largest Dungeon, just a hodgepodge of different author's works that makes no sense as a whole.

Makes no sense to get a product like that just because it's the "largest" when there are so many quality megadungeons like Stonehell, Rappan Athuk, Barrowmaze, etc.
My understanding is even less editorial oversight was given to WLC

The way I heard it, they had the best of intentions, but they relied on a bunch of freelancers, some of which didn't turn in their parts, and they did what they could.

The way I heard it, they had the best of intentions, but they relied on a bunch of freelancers, some of which didn't turn in their parts, and they did what they could.
Could be. I don't think my source was first hand when I read it so your recollection is as good as or better than mine.

A question about the current Fantasy Hero Settings bundle:

A while back I heard that the three* Age settings in the Bonus Collection - The Turakian Age, The Valdorian Age, and The Atlantean Age - formed a contiguous super-setting that formed a prehistory to the present-day HERO supers setting. Is there any truth to that? If so, how well is it implemented?

*Or, looking at the descriptions, possibly just the last two.

Each of the three Fantasy Hero "Age" books occasionally references, in passing, characters or lands from the other books. But there is no practical attempt to link the three settings. The strongest link from The Atlantean Age is to the Champions supplement Hidden Lands, which depicts sunken Atlantis in modern times. The Turakian Age describes the early history of the arch-lich Takofanes, whose serpent-men and other minions cause trouble in The Valdorian Age and who later becomes a master villain in Champions.

i picked this up. i didn't have a copy.

Really no one knows about Mutant Epoch?

Really no one knows about Mutant Epoch?

Played it briefly while searching for a post apocalyptic genre setting that was JUST right. I agree it is more low key and gritty than oh let's say Darwin's world but it does have some interesting mad science encounters of say Fallout's style that could work well in a more amped up setting. Oh and it does have a developed campaign setting so it is more then just a system.

I got only the basic package, and that's because I've got good memories from some FF gamebooks. "Citadel of Chaos", "Demons of the Deep", "Talisman of Death", "Freeway Fighter" and "Starship Traveller" were among my favourites:smile:.
Then again, I don't really see myself playing that, and if I do, I probably would use a homebrew world, so there are limits to how much I'm willing to spend of old times' sake:wink:.

A question about the current Fantasy Hero Settings bundle:

A while back I heard that the three* Age settings in the Bonus Collection - The Turakian Age, The Valdorian Age, and The Atlantean Age - formed a contiguous super-setting that formed a prehistory to the present-day HERO supers setting. Is there any truth to that? If so, how well is it implemented?

*Or, looking at the descriptions, possibly just the last two.

With 5th Edition Steve Long created an "official" Champions Universe timeline that tied all the settings from the HERO system fantasy, supers, modern, sci-fi etc into one continuous timeline. I put official in quotes because while it was published it really didn't seem to have any particular in game utility.

Personally I found the idea ridiculous in a generic system as flexible as HERO because in effect all it did was restrict the published settings, forcing them to comply with each other regardless of genre, an assumption earlier editions did not follow. As far as I can tell that is really the only effect, as I don't recall it being a major topic of discussion and while the games theoretically followed the timeline there is little mention of it within the books.

That said, as with most of the 5th ed material I thought that these were well done game worlds. It has been a number of years since I've given them a good read so it is hard to give any specifics, just recalling my overall feel for them.

There was also Tula Morn, a fantasy world based in Celtic myth.

Snagged. Warlock of Firetop Mountain is where it all began for me, and Steve Jackson's Sorcery has always been a high point for solo gaming. Time to check out the tablertop adaptation.
Having run a yearlong AFF campaign it's a really good rules lite high fantasy system. The 2nd edition has expanded and filed the rough edges off of the original. If I had any criticism it would be that some of the published adventures are a bit too reliant on "take a gamebook and change as little as possible" and even that seems to be improving.

I'd like to get the Midgard Sagas but not much else there grabs me.

Tome of Horrors and its accompanying token set is well worth it in my opinion. 342 pages of monsters and tokens. The Codex of Aihrde covers the default C&C setting. Flipping through Secrets of the Vault: Mageforge Vol1 right now from Nerdarchy. Lots of nifty new magic items. The 2 Treasure Trove supplements have nice, useful treasure generation tables: one from CR 1-4 and the other CR 5-8. Pretty happy with my $15 purchase, particularly since it benefits RAINN.

Two Bundles for Advanced Fighting Fantasy are up. This is worth it just for the Russ Nicholson art alone.

I snagged both of these. The author is working on a pretty comprehensive solo system for AFF that he's describing as "create your own gamebook", something I always wanted from the AFF line. Just looking through these books (and like you said, the art!) is making memories flood back.

Colonial Gothic 3rd Edition is up.

Apparently everything, or damn near. Richard Iorio brings this back every year to raise money for the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention after losing three friends in one weekend to suicide.

Link to his blog post about it.

This one has my attention, I already had it on my wishlist at DTRPG. I don't know a lot about it, but definitely different and from what little I've read it sounds interesting as setting fluff whether or not the system is any good.

Yeah, I'm not completely sold on the system, but I love the concept. And given just how intensely personal the bundle is to the game's creator, spending the money was a no brainer.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back