Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Anyone have anything to say about Forbidden lands or Troika.

They both spark mild interest, but I can't find much info on them. Certainly nothing to push me over the bump to get them, or to cleanly pass without looking back as probably not my thing.

There's a new bundle with Old School Cool, supposed to be OSR inspired but not clones.

Does anyone have any experience with any of the titles?
  • Vagabonds of Dyfed
  • Pariah
  • Sharp Swords & Sinister Spells
  • Fallen Justice
  • Hypertellurians
  • Dortoka: City on the Sea of Glass
  • Solar Blades & Cosmic Spells
  • Dark Streets & Darker Secrets

I have Sharp Swords & Sinister Spells and Solar Blades & Cosmic Spells, but haven't had a chance to run either. They both have the same root system, as does, I believe, Dark Streets & Darker Secrets. Vaguely D&D-ish, with characters being defined by class & level. Pretty much any actions, including combat, are resolved by rolling under your relevant attribute, with modifiers including your level and the level/HD of your opponent. SB&CS is a much thicker book of the two, partially because it covers more ground (with the various sci-fi elements as well as spells/psionics) and also because there is a more strongly defined setting and has lots of tools to use fir it. SS&SS would be on my short list of systems to choose from if I wanted to run something specifically in the vein of Fafhrd & the Gray Mouser.

I went for it as I was looking at Pariah during the last Zinequest, Hypertellurians looks cool and Dortoka as a city supplement is totally my bag. Not sure I need another OSR system but will give them a look.

Last edited:
Mankcam Mankcam is a fan of Sharp Swords I believe.
I have Sharp Swords and Dark Streets - they are both quite good, very simple, and feel old school (but better rules IMO).

They are also amazing in what they cover in a small page count, and are the best value-for-money rpgs I have bought (alongside Barebones Fantasy).

You only have three or four Chsracter Classes, but due to mixing and matching with individualised Professions (which is a reason to use Advantage Dice), you can pretty much portray any character concept, far beyond most OSR games.

If I had to trim my rpg books down to fit in a small napsack, I would definately choose Sharp Swords and Dark Streets, alongside BRP Legend and Fate Core. They are all compact digest-sized books that are so versatile in what gaming I can get out of them.

If one likes the flavour of OSR, then I cannot recommend these titles enough - Sharp Swords & Sinister Spells and Dark Streets & Darker Secrets - they are both great :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Looking over Dorotka right now and it is obviously inspired by Dark Sun with its devastated city state, insect races and psionics. Well designed with lots of good tables for generating content. I'm impressed.
Yeah, it was better than I was hoping it would be when I got it, if that makes any sense.

Enough cool stuff that I pulled the trigger. Barely started to go through it all, though.

Nice. Even though I already own a couple of these items I am pulling the trigger. I do wish it was like video games where I can pass it along to someone in need if I already have a copy.
I don't see giving away the extra PDF copy as any different than giving away a physical book if you purchased both copies. The creator got paid, who's going to complain?

The only fiddly bit is your name in the watermark. But yeah, who is going to complain?
Files on your Wizard's Cabinet download page on the Bundle of Holding site are never watermarked. Some publishers watermark the files that are added to your DriveThru Library when you purchase a Bundle offer.

As for passing along duplicate files, there is no Bundle of Holding policy about that. This is up to individual publishers. In my experience, publishers are willing to grant permission on an individual basis to pass along duplicates.

The title says it all, I think. Not 2d20 despite coming from Modiphius, as far as I can tell.

We should probably make a different thread for Humble Bundle if we want to announce those. Humble Bundle and Bundle of Holding are two completely different things, and I know that Allen Varney watches this thread to answer questions in it.

We should probably make a different thread for Humble Bundle if we want to announce those. Humble Bundle and Bundle of Holding are two completely different things, and I know that Allen Varney watches this thread to answer questions in it.
...Actually, I don't think so. Humble Bundle and Bundleofholding - despite me being kinda partial to the latter - have the same function for us as clients and RPG players: they're places where you can get bundles of RPG PDFs at discount prices:thumbsup:.
Thus, I maintain that a new thread would be redundant and just require us to check more than one thread.

Now, what we should do is amend the title of this one to include Humble Bundle as well, IMO:shade:.

...Actually, I don't think so. Humble Bundle and Bundleofholding - despite me being kinda partial to the latter - have the same function for us as clients and RPG players: they're places where you can get bundles of RPG PDFs at discount prices:thumbsup:.
Thus, I maintain that a new thread would be redundant and just require us to check more than one thread.

Now, what we should do is amend the title of this one to include Humble Bundle as well, IMO:shade:.

If you look at it from the perspective of the fact that we have a Zine announcement thread and a regular Kickstarter announcement thread for exactly this reason, I don't think it's too much of a stretch to have separate ones. And going further than that, there's no actual cost to having two separate threads, but there's a benefit from the perspective of being courteous to the rep that frequents the board.

From a client perspective, we've already had people pinging Allen Varney about Humble Bundle offers, and confusion because of the fact that people just don't pay attention to the differences.

Thinking abou the first half as well...but at $24.95 starting price, I think I might pass. It's certainly above my threshold for impulse buy, and I don't think there's good odds I'd ever decide to use Hero over all the other games I've got anyway - basically, just wanted to check the mechanics.
Ah well, there's still time to think:thumbsup:.

Thinking abou the first half as well...but at $24.95 starting price, I think I might pass. It's certainly above my threshold for impulse buy, and I don't think there's good odds I'd ever decide to use Hero over all the other games I've got anyway - basically, just wanted to check the mechanics.
Ah well, there's still time to think:thumbsup:.

Its a fair complaint, but at least one you need to keep context about the normal cost and volume of the PDFs involved for assessing the price. Just the Hero Corebooks 6e normally cost $50 as a set and are about 800 pages between them. Its why I've just gotten by with Champions Complete for a long time and not excessively felt the lack.

I've had some of the subsidiary books there on my "buy if they ever go on sale" list for forever, which Hero virtually never does.

(Mind you, I'm not sure I'll ever use Hero again myself, but, you know...)

Its a fair complaint, but at least one you need to keep context about the normal cost and volume of the PDFs involved for assessing the price. Just the Hero Corebooks 6e normally cost $50 as a set and are about 800 pages between them. Its why I've just gotten by with Champions Complete for a long time and not excessively felt the lack.

I've had some of the subsidiary books there on my "buy if they ever go on sale" list for forever, which Hero virtually never does.

(Mind you, I'm not sure I'll ever use Hero again myself, but, you know...)
But I'm not complaining, man:thumbsup:! I might have been kinda grumbly if I wanted to get Hero or something....but I still wouldn't feel entitled to complain, because it's not like I was promised a certain price range, was I?
Then again, if I was looking for an opportunity, I would have had much less hesitations about this:grin:!

All I was saying was that I wouldn't have considered it in the first place if it wasn't on the Bundle. But it would have been an impulse buy if I'd got it!
Now I'd have to actually evaluate it:shade:.

I get it. Assuming I'm never going to play a game, I still might buy it if the content to price ratio is good, just to look at it and see what I can steal. I don't think this deal meets those criteria. If I was into the game, it would be worth it.

I get it. Assuming I'm never going to play a game, I still might buy it if the content to price ratio is good, just to look at it and see what I can steal. I don't think this deal meets those criteria. If I was into the game, it would be worth it.

Yeah, I'm still evaluating.

If I was into Hero, it would be more than worth it:thumbsup:!

But as it is, if I wanted to use an universal system, there would pretty much be no reason to use Hero over GURPS, EABAv2, BRPG Gold Book, Mythras, Savage Worlds, Cepheus Engine and the d6 system. So my grumbling is the grumbling of a universal systems grognard, please take it for what it is and don't let you influence you too much:grin:!

No, that's all fair, folks. I just was noting that while the price is higher than most Bundles, the base material cost is normally a bit higher here, too. I'm an old Hero hand (but haven't used it in years) but I do have to say if someone wants to get a toe in but that's it, just buying the PDF of Champions Complete probably makes more sense; this is more sensible as a deal for someone who's already been interested but putting it off because of price (like myself).

It would be a wonderful deal if I didn't already HAVE nearly all these books in hardcopy or PDF, but if you've already got the Savage Worlds bundle, you can buy it and compare.

JG

Dudes and dudettes, Ken Hite's Fall of Delta Green is available in the current Gumshoe+3 bundle! And Robin Laws' Jack Vance sf game The Gaean Reach! Enough said.

Strangely I didn't know that Laws had made a Vance sf game even though I loved his Dying Earth rpg. Vance's sf doesn't get enough love in rpg circles so this is a really cool discovery for me!

Last edited:
I was thinking of buying it just so I had the material on DTRPG (I only have them on the Pelgrane site right now). They're that good!

Dudes and dudettes, Ken Hite's Fall of Delta Green is available in the current Gumshoe+3 bundle! And Robin Laws' Jack Vance sf game The Gaean Reach! Enough said.

Strangely I didn't know that Laws had made a Vance sf game even though I loved his Dying Earth rpg. Vance's sf doesn't get enough love in rpg circles so this is a really cool discovery for me!
Gaean Reach is a fun Gumshoe game with a touch of Skullduggery most influenced by the Demon Princes series. During character generation, each player comes up with some horrible crime an NPC called Quandos Vorn committed against them. They've banded together to track down the elusive criminal and get revenge upon him.

The Gazetteer is basically a collection of the place descriptions from just about every location in Vance Gaean Reach novel. It's not fleshed out in the typical sense of an RPG setting book, but it works for this game. It would even make a good gift for a non-gamer Vance fan.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back