Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Well, don’t be too hard on yourself, Allen. Nobody can know every product of every RPG line although some people like to tell everyone they do.

And you have the added benefit of putting them on DTRPG, which is the reason I'm buying them. Humble Bundle doesn't do that, which makes it less useful to me to buy there.

And you have the added benefit of putting them on DTRPG, which is the reason I'm buying them. Humble Bundle doesn't do that, which makes it less useful to me to buy there.
This really is an advantage. I favor BoH over HB for the same reason. It's easier for me to keep track of my stuff when it's all in one place. And as we've seen in this very thread I have issues with that enough even in just one place.

I have Spectaculars, which I understand uses a similar system. It seems like a simple percentile system with card-based random generation.

On one hand, I'm intrigued, because I like Spectaculars. On the other hand, it seems like a system where having physical product is a big plus.
What's the Spectaculars/Dusk City Outlaws system like? From the description, Dusk City Outlaws sounds like a direct competitor to Blades in the Dark.

What's the Spectaculars/Dusk City Outlaws system like? From the description, Dusk City Outlaws sounds like a direct competitor to Blades in the Dark.
Bear in mind I don't actually own DSO, so there may be differences here I'm not capturing. Characters are built on archetypes from a pad related to the campaign, and then players get to draw and select from cards (in the case of Spectaculars, background and power cards, I guess dusk city has quirks).

Resolution is percentile based; skills in Spectaculars are a few higher specialties depending on the character's background, and a generous broad "everything else" skill.

In combat, the percentile dice roll is also the damage roll if you hit. So if you have a 70% ability and rolled a 50, you do 50 damage.

The system also sports advantage and disadvantage dice which are rolled along with your percentile (how many depends on situation). They complicate the situation. So you might success, but get some sort of advantage or drawback.

Challenge dice are d10s with 6 sides labeled with a drawback icon. Advantage dice are d8s with 4 sides labeled with a boon icon. So you could swap in standard polyhedrals of each type and say they trigger on a 5+ and have the same odds.

Yea, but I still maintain the Classic Traveller CD-ROM from Far Future Enterprises is a MUCH better deal. For the extra 15 bucks ($10 more cost, $5 shipping) you get a TON more content.
BoH deals are great.
FFE deals are insane but it's a physical disk and not Integrated into DTRPG.

BoH deals are great.
FFE deals are insane but it's a physical disk and not Integrated into DTRPG.
True, it would be nice for the FFE deals to actually be done through DTRPG. I wonder if rolling the $5 shipping charge into the DTRPG cost would net Marc close enough to the same take. It would be nice to just be able to download updates and know that baring OBS going under, you can't lose your games.

True, it would be nice for the FFE deals to actually be done through DTRPG. I wonder if rolling the $5 shipping charge into the DTRPG cost would net Marc close enough to the same take. It would be nice to just be able to download updates and know that baring OBS going under, you can't lose your games.
$5 shipping can grow a lot when it's the UK you're shipping to.

That is such a great idea. The Bundle of Holding is a real boon to the gaming community.
Yea, and despite my bringing up FFE every time Traveller bundles come up, I love Bundle of Holding and have picked up a few myself. They are awesome deals. It's just that Marc Miller takes awesome and steps it up a couple notches. And I love to point out how awesome that is. I wish more game lines would do Bundle of Holding or better.

Yea, and despite my bringing up FFE every time Traveller bundles come up, I love Bundle of Holding and have picked up a few myself. They are awesome deals. It's just that Marc Miller takes awesome and steps it up a couple notches. And I love to point out how awesome that is. I wish more game lines would do Bundle of Holding or better.
I don't think it's bad to make people aware of options. They can make their own decisions. I've known of the FFE disc options for ages but still pick BoH over it because the option to download from their site or DTRPG whenever I need it is a real bonus vs having to find it on a disc or somewhere on a drive in my house

I don't think it's bad to make people aware of options. They can make their own decisions. I've known of the FFE disc options for ages but still pick BoH over it because the option to download from their site or DTRPG whenever I need it is a real bonus vs having to find it on a disc or somewhere on a drive in my house
Gotcha... I use it enough that it's easy to find on my laptop, the Windows Quick Access shortcut helps a lot... Plus, the disc is the only way to get 1977 in PDF... And I like have ALL of the supplements available...

Downloading from a disc!!!???

What is this...the Stone Age???
You can also get a thumb drive instead...

I think part of it is by offering simple all-in-one collections via physical media, it's manageable by Marc without having to have a fulfillment company like OBS take a cut of each sale.

Downloading from a disc!!!???

What is this...the Stone Age???
Yes and we like our wolfskin breeches and flint spears! You and your fancy steel and titanium. Ooh look at me fancy pants and his lycra! Isn't he just the bell of the ball.

No I want my itchy as hell pelts and unrestricted block and tackle!

Stay off my area of wildflowers and slightly less uncomfortable stones!

Great idea with the new Bundles.

I picked up the Lankhmar Bundle as I'm a big fan of DCC and Leiber.
I'm eyeing it myself, at least the basic bundle; I'm not sure I want the adventures enough to spring for the bonus collection.

Honestly, other than the tone, my biggest complaint about SotDL is to have a really complete game you need to buy a lot of books. In PDF most of them aren't expensive books, but the stuff is spread out a bit.

Its one of the three D&D-evolved games I will bother with, though I find the setting in it way too dark for my taste.
Out of curiosity, which are the other two?

My own answers are "DCC, Dragon Heresy and Fantasy Craft", FWIW. SotDL I'm on the verge for.

13th Age and Pathfinder 2e.
13th Age I might consider at some point. I've got that one...:thumbsup:
PF2e, though? Unless it's radically different from both PF1e and D&D 5e, which nobody has claimed so far, it's hard pass for me:shade:.
SotDL is about the closest we come together on this, it seems:grin:!

Just out of curiosity, are you familiar with the other three games I listed?

After my experience with PF1e, I haven't even looked at my copy of PF2e.

Any fun stories about it:grin:?
And I've never acquired a copy of PF2e, since there isn't much point in reading it, as far as I'm concerned. Unless someone can assure me I might like it, I guess. But everything I've seen, except "shields are more useful now", didn't help selling me on it. On the contrary, actually:shade:!

13th Age I might consider at some point. I've got that one...:thumbsup:
PF2e, though? Unless it's radically different from both PF1e and D&D 5e, which nobody has claimed so far, it's hard pass for me:shade:.
SotDL is about the closest we come together on this, it seems:grin:!

Just out of curiosity, are you familiar with the other three games I listed?

Two of them. DCC is just the opposite of what I want if I'm going to be dealing with a D&D derivative, and Fantasy Craft was not sufficiently different from other D&D 3 era offshoots to interest me.

Depending on your specific reasons, that might be well founded or operating on a mistaken assumption about some of the design criteria of 2e. There are important areas they share, and ones where they diverge strongly.

Two of them. DCC is just the opposite of what I want if I'm going to be dealing with a D&D derivative, and Fantasy Craft was not sufficiently different from other D&D 3 era offshoots to interest me.
Yeah, Fantasy Craft looked like that before I tried it, too. But then a friend ran it, and I didn't want to sit it out, and it turned out to play way better than it read:thumbsup:.

Out of curiosity, what are you looking for when dealing with a D&D derivative?

Yeah, Fantasy Craft looked like that before I tried it, too. But then a friend ran it, and I didn't want to sit it out, and it turned out to play way better than it read:thumbsup:.

Out of curiosity, what are you looking for when dealing with a D&D derivative?

Well, part is what I want in a lot of RPGs; mechanical engagement. I want a fair bit of meaningful decision making that is not dependent on the GM seeing things the same way I do. Additionally, the more character construction options that are not actually traps (or, almost as bad, must haves) the better. Most of my games of choice are generic build system games, and its all too easy for games in the D&D sphere to either cram you into a really narrow set of options or have no ability to cover what you're trying to do in any mechanical way at all. There are also some issues about GMing overhead while doing that that matter (I'd never run 3.0/3.5 era D&D again for that reason).

Any fun stories about it:grin:?
And I've never acquired a copy of PF2e, since there isn't much point in reading it, as far as I'm concerned. Unless someone can assure me I might like it, I guess. But everything I've seen, except "shields are more useful now", didn't help selling me on it. On the contrary, actually:shade:!

Depending on your specific reasons, that might be well founded or operating on a mistaken assumption about some of the design criteria of 2e. There are important areas they share, and ones where they diverge strongly.

I've always had it and haven't viewed it as any better or worse than the various iterations of D&D. I purchased a lot of the material to use in other things, but had never played it until this past year. My MMO guild decided to get together a group to play Pathfinder over Discord/Roll20. I was optimistic going in; I'd been under the impression it was pretty much 3.5 for all the people that didn't like 4.0. Making a character was an exercise in less than optimal choices it seemed. My GM had addressed a lot of the pointless choices by using an article that did away with Feat Taxes to a large extent, but there were still feats and requirements that made you get less than optimal feats and skills and the feats that you purchased were never used again. Or maybe they were supposed to be, but the bonus was so situational and small that you forgot about it in many cases.

I played a Brawler- he was pretty much a thug, though he didn't have the mindset of a thug. His background was that he washed out of the local thieves' guild because a job was botched by his adoptive brother and they were thrown to the wolves. The GM tried to make some interesting set pieces, and some worked better than others, but combat being the drawn out affair that it was didn't support the type of play he tried to make it out to be, and in many cases the character just felt less than competent, depending on dice rolls and randomness to succeed.

Even the GM wasn't having fun in the end, and even though we tried to let him know it was OK if he didn't want to keep going, he instead tried to end the campaign by party wipe instead of just telling us that.

I've always had it and haven't viewed it as any better or worse than the various iterations of D&D. I purchased a lot of the material to use in other things, but had never played it until this past year. My MMO guild decided to get together a group to play Pathfinder over Discord/Roll20. I was optimistic going in; I'd been under the impression it was pretty much 3.5 for all the people that didn't like 4.0. Making a character was an exercise in less than optimal choices it seemed. My GM had addressed a lot of the pointless choices by using an article that did away with Feat Taxes to a large extent, but there were still feats and requirements that made you get less than optimal feats and skills and the feats that you purchased were never used again. Or maybe they were supposed to be, but the bonus was so situational and small that you forgot about it in many cases.

I played a Brawler- he was pretty much a thug, though he didn't have the mindset of a thug. His background was that he washed out of the local thieves' guild because a job was botched by his adoptive brother and they were thrown to the wolves. The GM tried to make some interesting set pieces, and some worked better than others, but combat being the drawn out affair that it was didn't support the type of play he tried to make it out to be, and in many cases the character just felt less than competent, depending on dice rolls and randomness to succeed.

Even the GM wasn't having fun in the end, and even though we tried to let him know it was OK if he didn't want to keep going, he instead tried to end the campaign by party wipe instead of just telling us that.
Sad to say, but that pretty much confirms my sole experience with Pathfinder. Except the other players seemed to enjoy it, so I just bowed out by myself:thumbsup:.

I could go into some ways PF2e differs from its quasi-3e predecessor (to some people's displeasure), but it'd be dragging this thread progressively farther off-topic.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back