Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Yes, I ran into the same issue.

Super excited to see this bundle, all the same.

I could go into some ways PF2e differs from its quasi-3e predecessor (to some people's displeasure), but it'd be dragging this thread progressively farther off-topic.
New thread:thumbsup:?

Also, Legendary Planet is something I might have jumped into, based on the setting. But the system stops me in my tracks:shade:.
Ah well, some games aren't meant to be played by me.

Also, Legendary Planet is something I might have jumped into, based on the setting. But the system stops me in my tracks:shade:.
Ah well, some games aren't meant to be played by me.

You aren't going to let a system stop you from using the material are you?

Why not? There's a whole load of material I haven't read either...using games that I actually like.
And they're all competing for my money and time. Guess which ones have the advantage:shade:?

I mean, sure I can convert them, but material produced for 3.5+ (unlike material produced for systems that are closer in concept) way too often relies on concepts that simply don't translate well to other games:thumbsup:.

I regret Starfinder wasn’t part of the Legendary planet bundle. I picked up a few titles for Starfinder and would have loved to pick up the rest on the cheap.

OTOH, there are better systems than all of the above for Sword & Planet action, I might have been converting it anyways.

I regret Starfinder wasn’t part of the Legendary planet bundle. I picked up a few titles for Starfinder and would have loved to pick up the rest on the cheap.

OTOH, there are better systems than all of the above for Sword & Planet action, I might have been converting it anyways.
If you're familiar with Legendary planet, mind telling me more about it:smile:?

If you're familiar with Legendary planet, mind telling me more about it:smile:?

I'm not sure I can give you a better overview than the ad copy (Shrug). It leans more heavily into the science fantasy inspirations (John Carter, The High Crusade, etc) of D&D than D&D and most of its derivative do, with primitive races living in the shadow of a multi-world empire of advanced technology. I have historically like this sort of thing, and when I jumped into Starfinder, I found the first adventure path unsatisfying, so I was glad to have an alternative, especially one that fell into my wheelhouse.

Alas, we moved on from Starfinder, so I wasn't too invested in buying an adventure path I might never play, even if it looks cool. Still, I do still like Pathfinder, and I'm not above porting it to other systems I feel may be better suited to more pulpy action like Fate or Fantasy Craft.

Why not? There's a whole load of material I haven't read either...using games that I actually like.
And they're all competing for my money and time. Guess which ones have the advantage:shade:?

I mean, sure I can convert them, but material produced for 3.5+ (unlike material produced for systems that are closer in concept) way too often relies on concepts that simply don't translate well to other games:thumbsup:.
I'd not buy a fraction of what I have if that was in my criteria. I just look at things through the lens of hacking and conversion, I guess.

I'd not buy a fraction of what I have if that was in my criteria. I just look at things through the lens of hacking and conversion, I guess.
That's my criterion for adventures (which is what Adventure Paths are). For settings and systems I've got different criteria as well:grin:!

The degree of heavy lifting needed to port a setting to a system with radically different assumptions can be non-trivial. I've got a couple of interesting games with a D&D 5e basis that I have to work to convince myself I wasn't an idiot to invest in.

Is it genuinely that interesting to you? While this isn't like that, I've had at least one mostly off-hand comment in a thread split off into another thread that died promptly because I wasn't interested in pursuing it to the degree a separate thread justified, and most of the other people who hopped into the thread seemed mostly interested in castigating me.

The degree of heavy lifting needed to port a setting to a system with radically different assumptions can be non-trivial. I've got a couple of interesting games with a D&D 5e basis that I have to work to convince myself I wasn't an idiot to invest in.
Depends on the degree of conversion. Myself, I just want to get the feel and the basics- and then go to town using the other material. I don't try a meticulous conversion on most things.

Depends on the degree of conversion. Myself, I just want to get the feel and the basics- and then go to town using the other material. I don't try a meticulous conversion on most things.

That works with some, but I find its not uncommon to have setting elements that only work because magic or exotic technology works in a particular way, and sometimes that's not easy to move over in a way players can engage with usefully.

And of course there's the "buying a 300 page book for 50 pages of setting material".

Is it genuinely that interesting to you? While this isn't like that, I've had at least one mostly off-hand comment in a thread split off into another thread that died promptly because I wasn't interested in pursuing it to the degree a separate thread justified, and most of the other people who hopped into the thread seemed mostly interested in castigating me.
I can't speak for Asen, but possibly he was motivated by a sense of courtesy. As operator of the Bundle of Holding, I get notifications for all posts to this Bundle thread, and dutifully check them out to address Bundle-related customer concerns.

I can't speak for Asen, but possibly he was motivated by a sense of courtesy. As operator of the Bundle of Holding, I get notifications for all posts to this Bundle thread, and dutifully check them out to address Bundle-related customer concerns.

Well, I absolutely agree with not having it here, Allen; as you noted I mentioned that up above. My question was more about continuing the discussion at all rather than just dropping it.

Well, I'm not likely to play PF2 (and playing PF1 again is out of the question, unless you tell me a favourite fantasy author of mine is running an open game using the system:tongue:). It doesn't seem likely to have fixed my issues with PF/d20...and by now, I'm not looking for a game that could do that, either.
But I'm curious what the new edition of a rather popular game is like, whether it's going to pull a D&D4e on itself, such things. On the other hand, I've got no plans to read it just to find out. There's plenty of other games I can do that with, that would be a more rational use of my time:shade:.
Thus, someone willing to tell me the answers to that would be welcome. Though I can also live without it.
Given the above, I'm not inviting you to start a new thread. But if you do, I'm going to check it and at least ask for clarification if I don't understand something. You decide whether you want to invest the time...it's your time:grin:!

One thing is for sure, though, I'm not planning to castigate you (for what, in the nine circles of Hell?) one way or another:thumbsup:.
I mean, I've long ago made my peace with the fact that there's plenty of people playing games I have no interest in. So I don't know what I could castigate you over, even if you're one of them:devil:!

Mythras is once again the featured system over at Bundle of Holding, with some seriously spectacular deals on Mythras PDFs. This time around the Bundle consists of a Starter Collection (Mythras, Mythras Companion, Monster Island, Two Mythras Combat Training Modules) and the Bonus Collection - which contains Lyonesse (and two scenarios), Luther Arkwright, and the epic Arkwright campaign, Parallel Lines.

The price just can't be beaten: just $7.95 for the Starter Collection, but if you pay a little more and meet (or beat) the Threshold Price, then the Bonus Collection is yours too.

There is no better way to get into both Mythras and the amazing worlds of Jack Vance and Bryan Talbot than through this Bundle of Holding deal. And as Lyonesse is a self contained game, it represents astonishing value.

The Mythras Bundle of holding runs until Monday 14th June, and 10% of all proceeds go towards Direct Relief, a charity that ensures protective equipment and critical care medications get to key health workers across the US and the rest of the world.

yes. you have to stop loudly saying "LALALALALa" over and over when they start talking to hear them though.
Come on, man...that was obviously a joke comment. Why the hostility:sad:?

Yes, we d100 fans on this forum are many. Yes, of course we recommend our favourite games, even though we know not everyone likes d100. And yes, your eventual conversion to Mythras is a matter of time, if you ask us:devil:!

But fans of all kinds of games do the same, from d20 to whatever...sometimes even in threads where it's obviously not what the OP is looking for. So are you going to post a similar comment on the next OSR Bundle:thumbsup:?

More on topic, and with apologies to Allen Varney Allen Varney I need to visit the bank or the ATM, then of course I'm getting the Bundle:shade:!

Last edited:
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back