Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I keep thinking about getting that FitD bundle, but I have everything other than three of them, and one of those three I don't want. My reflex is to purchase, but my mind tells me 'no'!

Interesting summary Bundle of Holding sent out:

I really liked this insight:

If data-crunching bores you, skip this paragraph: The site sold its 100,000th bundle in December 2015 (35 months after the February 2013 launch), and the 200,000th bundle in January 2018, 25 months after the 100K mark. A few weeks ago, in December 2021, someone bought Bundle #400,000 — meaning it took 47 months for 272 offers to sell an additional +200K (average 744 copies/offer), versus 60 months for 288 offers to sell the first 200K (average 694 copies/offer). That’s a 50-copy/offer increase (7.2%) across four years. So — yay? Those numbers won’t lure Goldman Sachs, but at least the individual offers still hold appeal.

I also didn't know that there was a subreddit! https://www.reddit.com/r/bundleofholding/

Lovely little ORE bundle for those that don't have it.
I own most of it, but might still be tempted:thumbsup:! (Then again, it's probably that bundle vs Marcelo Garcia's latest instructional...which is a tough, unpredictable battle:shade:)!

I love ORE, in a hypothetical, intellectual kind of way. I've never run it, or played, nor am I likely to, but I'm still tempted to buy it. Cursed hobby!
Running it is real easy...and I suspect that once your character takes down an opponent disrupting his attempt to punch, you'd be hooked:devil:!

Don't get me wrong, I love the rules, it just hasn't happened. You know how that is.
Yeah, I know...but then you might want to consider it for your next campaign:thumbsup:!
Because IME, the way to start playing something is often to be the first one that runs it:shade:.

Yeah, I know...but then you might want to consider it for your next campaign:thumbsup:!
Because IME, the way to start playing something is often to be the first one that runs it:shade:.
I have a rather long queue sadly (or not sadly?).

I love ORE, but I haven't found a satisfying way to run it online. The game works great when everyone is at the same table. You all roll your dice, lay out your sets, then everyone spends their sets to take actions or block the actions of others. Online dice rollers don't provide a good way to handle that, and I never found a smooth solution.

When the new edition of Reign comes out, I'll probably into making it work again.

Anyone familiar with Baker Street, a Sherlock Holmes themed investigation RPG?

Baker Street Bundle

I'm wondering if it might be a useful addition for a CoC or ToC Gaslight era game. I'm a sucker for the Old west and Victorian era.
The base mechanics seem ok, but the the Sherlock Die might add in way too much chaos. The big ticket item of this game seems to be the investigation system. It requires a detailed investigation though, with Clues, Leads, Red Herrings, etc to be used in the investigative mini game, which is skill rolls, not roleplaying deduction.

I'm not sure if Pub etiquette permits pointing to RPG.net forum threads, but Ken Finlayson provided a good summary of Baker Street's mechanics there in the thread "Victorian Era RPG".
[mod hat on]

Just for future reference that's absolutely fine. We only have issues if people are doing so to try and stir up inter forum drama, there's no problem doing so in this kind of context.

I'm not sure if Pub etiquette permits pointing to RPG.net forum threads, but Ken Finlayson provided a good summary of Baker Street's mechanics there in the thread "Victorian Era RPG".

Thanks not a ton of info there but it sounds like it is worth checking out.

[mod hat on]

Just for future reference that's absolutely fine. We only have issues if people are doing so to try and stir up inter forum drama, there's no problem doing so in this kind of context.

So much purple... :shock:

The horror.... the horror...

Was RPGnet ever not purple? I think the first time I visited was around 1999 or 2000 and it was already purple.
I’m not sure about the forum, but I’ve some some saved review pages from the 90s that lack any purple.

And the prose in the WoD threads, certainly.
Some people never outgrow that brooding 14 year-old Goth phase. Listening to the Cure and comparing having to clean your room to everlasting damnation as one of the living dead doesn't usually produce prose I want to read.

Except the rhetoric, I'm sure.

The only review I saved whose text I recall off the top of my head was for Exalted, where the reviewer said its anti-science manifesto was a sign the authors had been beaten up as children for their lunch money by roving gangs of scientists.

They call it the Wild West days. I call it the Glory Days.

The only review I saved whose text I recall off the top of my head was for Exalted, where the reviewer said its anti-science manifesto was a sign the authors had been beaten up as children for their lunch money by roving gangs of scientists.
Was there ever a golden age where people at least pretended to be objective and halfway fucking sane, or am I just looking back at the past through rose-tinted glasses?

I feel an ever more powerful urge to hand out logic puzzles and make people solve them or else I remove their keyboards and all but the minimum number of fingers they need for self-maintenance. I'm also aware that this isn't necessarily the most rational response. But I'm pretty sure I could solve one of those puzzles myself without descending into a rant about putting tar on my nipples so Satan doesn't try feeding from me during my sleep.

No, but they should. I kickstarted this, so I have all the stuff. The presentation and world-builder really hit the Traveller player in me, but a bit more modern/transhuman.
While I have the Traveller version of the rules only, and am now tempted to get the rest for setting material...:shade:

And yes, Baker Street looks good as well, I'm just wondering what the system's like.

yes, i'm kind of interested in baker street. sherlock holmes was probably my first real superhero.

While I have the Traveller version of the rules only, and am now tempted to get the rest for setting material...:shade:

And yes, Baker Street looks good as well, I'm just wondering what the system's like.

I'm a bit mixed on what sounds like it may be a very mechanical sleuthing solution, but I'm going to get it. Not everybody is into solving puzzles so that may actually offer an interesting solution. Mostly likely it will end up as supporting material for CoC anyway.

Dead Friend is really good. I wrote a bit about it in this thread on top story games.

Picked up the full Worlds of 2000 AD bundle and really impressed with what I've read so far. (Although I'm a bit biased because one of the designers John "Doc" White is an old mate).

Really manages to get the feel of the world right and I think it should be possible to convert the old GW adventures without too much aggro.

It's worth mentioning that EN Publishing are losing the license, so this will be the last chance to get these. (I am a bit sad we're never going to see sourcebooks for Slaine or Nemesis now though).

Picked up the full Worlds of 2000 AD bundle and really impressed with what I've read so far. (Although I'm a bit biased because one of the designers John "Doc" White is an old mate).

Really manages to get the feel of the world right and I think it should be possible to convert the old GW adventures without too much aggro.

It's worth mentioning that EN Publishing are losing the license, so this will be the last chance to get these. (I am a bit sad we're never going to see sourcebooks for Slaine or Nemesis now though).

I snagged that too. I played a lot of the GW Judge Dredd game in the 80s, don't know how this will compare but it looked good. Judge Dredd is one of those games that made me realize generic rules are nice, but they can't do everything as well as a genre specific rules set.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back