Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Let me ask the obvious question. What is the point of setting a difficulty between 1 and 10 and then having to multiply it to get a target number? There might be a point, IDK, I'm actually asking.
There’s not, and it was one of the breaking points with a player in my group that lead to the campaign falling apart.

There’s not, and it was one of the breaking points with a player in my group that lead to the campaign falling apart.
Except it sounds like, from the point below, there is a reason for it.

If I have a hellhound at Level 3 it has 9 Hit Points, attacks at a 3 and deals 3 points of damage.

I had Cypher but just didn’t feel it and when discussing with the group at the time, nobody gelled with the Classes. They felt smart mechanically was their main complaint.

Except it sounds like, from the point below, there is a reason for it.

I had Cypher but just didn’t feel it and when discussing with the group at the time, nobody gelled with the Classes. They felt smart mechanically was their main complaint.
I think in our group who played one or two of the published adventures there were a few problems. It felt a bit souless. Like it had all this cool tidbits but the whole seemed missing. The exp as both a single action modifier or long term character advance meant no one ever used it one time. Always saved it for advancement. I want to say you could reduce a stat temporarily to improve a roll. That was rarely used since people don't like taking penalties for an unknown amount of time in exchange for a one time benefit.

It wasn't a good fit for our group. Another group might make all that work and enjoy roleplaying it out but our group was more in the tradition of mechanical builds so any one time use penalty felt like it would put that individual behind the group in terms of advancement.9

In my experience(?), anytime you are required to spend XP for in-game benefit and not advancement it just doesn't work, separate pools definitely.

On Ptolus, I just didn't gel with it, the sheer volume of information put me off, how many pages is it in 5e format?

I have it in PDF and just cannot get through it, there's just too much there for me (and I don't mean reading the whole thing). It might be fine if I was interested in a year(s) long campaign, but otherwise just too heavy for me.

The 5E and Cypher System versions of Ptolus, City by the Spire are each 676 pages.
Yup, I went all in on the Kickstarter and have both physical books, they're large enough and heavy enough to kill a goose. Still waiting for the Kickstarter to complete, it's down to the last couple items. Cool setting, stealing ideas from it left and right.

Anyone know anything about this system? "FU: Freeform Universal RPG, with elements inspired by Fate and Blades in the Dark" sounds like it could be up my alley.
The 72 page rulebook wins points for good editing and a lack of "filler" content. The game uses fiction forward design that is familiar to anyone who has read PbtA and Blades in the Dark. Characters are defined by trademarks (broad competency), edges (specializations), and flaws. Positive traits and conditions provide action dice for task resolution which are contested by a pool of danger dice representing complications and flaws. The system gets more nuanced and interesting but that's the basic gist. Like PbtA, the majority of die rolls are going to end up as success with consequences or failure with worse consequences. Only trademark gear is permanent, the rest of it is procured for the job which I thought was pretty cool.

TLDR if you like fiction forward design and cyberpunk I strongly suggest you take advantage of the deal on Bundle and pick up Neon City Overdrive.

These are for D20 not DCC, right?
Nope. Goodman Games, Dungeon Crawl Classics. I'm sure you could run in D20 with minimal faffing though.

Edited to avoid undue confusion. Mea culpa.

Last edited:
Kidding. They are both D20 and DCC. :grin: Well, more accurately, DCC D20.

I'm all for mild jocularity, when warranted, but we should avoid sowing wilful confusion. The modules in the Fifty-Dungeon Megabundle are d20 System adventures published 2005-2007 by Goodman Games for D&D 3.5.
Sorry, not meant to confuse. They do say Dungeon Crawl Classic on the cover in the photos and in the description, which is what I was indexing, not the rules set.

I edited my post upstream to avoid some confusion. :thumbsup:

Nice. I never picked up Cepheus as it was. While I like the idea of small press publishers supporting Traveller, I haven't been playing Trav actively enough lately that I ever thought it was worth it to invest in it beyond a few incidental items. This may be worth taking a look.

Arrgh. :argh: I think MYZ is the only FL game I don't own all of.

Double arrgh!! The level up in only $20. Must. Resist. Purchase.
But now your collection will always be unfinished. There'll always be that gap. You'll notice it every time you pass. A hole, where a book should be. The realisation will hit when you're trying to sleep. A missed opportunity. It'll gnaw at you, like an eagle pecking at your liver. You could have had it in your hands. You could have finished the collection. It could have been complete, and so could you. But I guess that's never to be.

But now your collection will always be unfinished. There'll always be that gap. You'll notice it every time you pass. A hole, where a book should be. The realisation will hit when you're trying to sleep. A missed opportunity. It'll gnaw at you, like an eagle pecking at your liver. You could have had it in your hands. You could have finished the collection. It could have been complete, and so could you. But I guess that's never to be.
You hush, you devil. You silver-tongued completionist. :devil:

Ladies and gentlemen, the new Bundle of Holding Marketing Director!

What is the basic premise of MYZ, is it a realistic P-A game like Twilight 2000 or more of a Gamma World / Thundar the Barbarian kind of thing?

What is the basic premise of MYZ, is it a realistic P-A game like Twilight 2000 or more of a Gamma World / Thundar the Barbarian kind of thing?
Mutant Year Zero leans more toward realistic-gritty post-holocaust, with a certain leavening of mutation and robotics, rather than a Gamma World-style gonzo approach. This Reddit r/rpg thread, "Mutant Year Zero," goes into this point in more detail.

Mutant Year Zero leans more toward realistic-gritty post-holocaust, with a certain leavening of mutation and robotics, rather than a Gamma World-style gonzo approach. This Reddit r/rpg thread, "Mutant Year Zero," goes into this point in more detail.

Thank you. Read through that thread, sounds kind of like a more serious take of Gamma World or somewhere in between GW and the Wasteland / Fallout CRPGs. Added to my give serious consideration list (which means I will most likely get it because I am weak :tongue: ).

The PiP System is a light system with some surprising flexibility.

Character creation is composed of an Archetype, which gives you skills and abilities and hindrances, and a point spend for additional skills. Skills are generalized, with the opportunity for specialization (Qualities) to give dice when the specialty is in play.

Tasks are resolved with a pool of white 6 sided dice equal to skill + quality + mods and a pool of black 6-sided dice for opposition. 4,5,6 are success for either type of die, and the pool (black or white) with the most successes tells if you succeed or fail. Succeeding or failing by 3 dice or more is an epic success or failure.

I've only used it for HP Lovecraft Preparatory Academy, but it ran pretty well for it.

A quickstart can be found at https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/217218/Pip-System-QuickStart

It's using a bespoke system with FFG type dice where the faces mean something, and I can't find a good example of it... pass...

Does anyone have this? Is there a particular reason I'd want to buy another pirate game?
I've played a little of the video game with my nephews. I like a good pirate game, but the aesthetics and setting of the videogame don't really resonate with me, even though it is fun sailing with around with my nephews and arguing about who's fault it is that we got sunk again. If I want to run a pulpy pirate game, I've still got my copy of Savage Worlds Pirates of the Spanish Main.

I've played a little of the video game with my nephews. I like a good pirate game, but the aesthetics and setting of the videogame don't really resonate with me, even though it is fun sailing with around with my nephews and arguing about who's fault it is that we got sunk again.
Like real pirates did:grin:!

Yup, only MYZ and Coriolis were left for me to snag from. Guess I'll be correcting one of those now.

Not to derail the thread, but the Coriolis hardback is now less than half price in the annual Free League summer sale. I grabbed a copy in last year's sale - it's beautiful.

Helps if you're in Europe, but very much worth it for £20.

I've played a little of the video game with my nephews. I like a good pirate game, but the aesthetics and setting of the videogame don't really resonate with me, even though it is fun sailing with around with my nephews and arguing about who's fault it is that we got sunk again. If I want to run a pulpy pirate game, I've still got my copy of Savage Worlds Pirates of the Spanish Main.
I nearly pulled the trigger on that given my predilection to the piracy genre. However, after reading a few reviews I thought it wasn't quite my style. I never played the vid game though.

I'm a big fan of SW PotSM and 50 Fathoms. :smile:

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back