Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
For those that want to get their Palladium on, BoH has Heroes Unlimited. While it's not quite the full catalogue, the only stuff missing is things like the extra power books where are utterly unessential.
That's a no sale forme, but if some Palladium bundle showed up with Ninjas & Superspies and Mystic China, I would snatch it up. Those are the Palladium's "Diamonds in the rough" AFAIAC.

if some Palladium bundle showed up with Ninjas & Superspies and Mystic China, I would snatch it up. Those are the Palladium's "Diamonds in the rough" AFAIAC.
I presented Ninjas & Superspies and Mystic China in the January 2021 Mutants and Ninjas Bundle. I hope to revive that offer in a few years, if Palladium permits.

I think he started in rpgs doing Judges Guild art didn't he?
That’s my understanding. I think he tried to sell them a game, Palladium Fantasy?, and they low balled him, when he declined to sell they offered to throw him some art work based on the manuscript he had given them. I could be wrong on the details but I believe that’s close to what I heard him say in an interview.

I've never thought Siembieda was that much of a standout as an artist. Same with his design sensibilities and writing style. He's ... functional. And he has good ideas. It was Long and Wujcik that got me on board. Along with John Zeleznik.

I miss Erick Wujcik. Super nice guy. Got to meet him, and play one of his unpublished games when he basically did a car tour across the US years ago. I'd had correspondence with him prior, and said if he came by, we'd feed him and give him a place to sleep. He took us up on dinner (we grilled steaks and stuff for him) but didn't stay, just started down the road again. I got his signature on my 1st printing of Amber Diceless Roleplaying while he was visiting; he was surprised to see that I had already gotten Roger's signature before his :-)

Book 3 had art from a Mechanoids comic by Mike Gustovich IRRC. It's a bit silly, Mechanoid Invasion Book III is one of my favorite rpgs ever and I don't own a copy.
I thought I remembered that one had different art in it. And same here- I hoped he'd get that vibe back with Rifts Mechanoid Invasion, but alas it was not to be.

How useful would the Heroes Unlimited books be for content for other Palladium games (in my case, N&SS and TMNT)?

If I sneak one across the border I'll mail it to you.
Actually Palladium Books is high on my list to order directly from for my store. I was going to do it last January but covid lockdowns and cold weather killed my sales and I have yet to recover.

"Delusional Man Buys Yet Another Bundle of Holding" (Leif Nelson, The Only Edition, 08 Sept 2022)
I should really make an account of how many of the ~50 Bundles I've got I've actually used, just to counter this narrative:thumbsup:.

...OK, I lost the count somewhere along the way, but 31-34 bundles out of 49 have been used. Overall, I'd say it's not bad, though I've still got some setting books to read:grin:!

The Between is really good and I'd like to try Hearts of Wulin and Bitemarks...

I own almost all of that bundle, otherwise my credit card would have already taken a hit. :grin: That said, I don't own Last Fleet, which looks awesome and has a price tag almost double that of the bundle. Wait, shit...

Fudge is still a trad RPG with a lot of flexibility, while FATE is a narrative game with a play currency system... they are very different animals.
That's what I mean about focusing on the differences. Fate is just as flexible as FUDGE in all honesty, and the currency just overlays. but to each his own.

More like Solo-Journaling games, but point taken on how they could be considered novel writing game tools.

I have Artefact and Bucket of Bolts, and both are excellent, even if they don't fit on my bookshelf all that well as they have a more artsy presentation in physical form.

For those who are familiar: what do you think is the minimum age for players?

It looks interesting, but, from the write up, I’ve got a couple reservations. First, while I’m personally more intrigued by ORE as a game system, I wonder if the “combinatorial” mechanics might be too much for really young kids. This is one age group and theme where I could see PbtA fitting better.

Second, the Cthulhu-flavored elements seem like they might be more for older kids, or even not for kids at all. Although the blurb also says “MOTCcan handle the lightest and darkest themes of childhood. It's marvelous for gamers who like a little humor with their horror and a few scares with their laughs,” and “The monsters in MOCT are big, scaly, scary bundles of superpowers, but they also represent unconditional friendship.”

Anyone have any real-world experience playing this with kids?

Not with kids, but I've run Candlewick Manor as a campaign. Generally, it's about kids but it isn't a "kid friendly" RPG in the way something like Hero Kids is.

I wouldn't consider it below the age of 8 or so and a lot of that depends on the individual kid. If they're the type of kid that devours Horrible Histories or Goosebumps they'll probably be fine with it, but if they're more sensitive than that avoid.

For those who are familiar: what do you think is the minimum age for players?

It looks interesting, but, from the write up, I’ve got a couple reservations. First, while I’m personally more intrigued by ORE as a game system, I wonder if the “combinatorial” mechanics might be too much for really young kids. This is one age group and theme where I could see PbtA fitting better.

Second, the Cthulhu-flavored elements seem like they might be more for older kids, or even not for kids at all. Although the blurb also says “MOTCcan handle the lightest and darkest themes of childhood. It's marvelous for gamers who like a little humor with their horror and a few scares with their laughs,” and “The monsters in MOCT are big, scaly, scary bundles of superpowers, but they also represent unconditional friendship.”

Anyone have any real-world experience playing this with kids?
Monsters and Other Childish Things has been bandied in times past as a good introductory game, but I personally think it's too dark for kids.
When I look at my kids' YouTube history, it features lots of Carnage and Venom clips, and Cheesescape, and ghosts and witches. I think M&otC should be fine...:grin:

Also, ORE is probably just fine for them. Even the youngest can remember "look for same numbers, the more you have, the better". I can take it from there:tongue:.

The reason I'm not using ORE to introduce them to RPGs is not that it's hard, it's that I've become lazy:shade:. But I might still consider it...

If they're the type of kid that devours Horrible Histories or Goosebumps they'll probably be fine with it, but if they're more sensitive than that avoid.
That's my usual take on it - it depends on the child, not the age. Same as the line I've decided to adopt with adults, really:angel:!

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back