BX and ACKS

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Bunch

The other Mods are geese!
Reaction score
Hey assuming I wanted to run a fantasy campaign using ACKS how compatible are classes from BX or BEMCI? What I'm going for is something where people can quickly come up with a PC but if someone wants to invest the time they can create a custom class which is roughly as balanced as BX is.

Hey assuming I wanted to run a fantasy campaign using ACKS how compatible are classes from BX or BEMCI? What I'm going for is something where people can quickly come up with a PC but if someone wants to invest the time they can create a custom class which is roughly as balanced as BX is.
That should work fine. ACKS is just B/X with a lot of options, domain management, and world building/management tools added to it. The level progression is the same as B/X, with tiny differences in the XP needed at each level just to avoid legal trouble. It also had a proficiency system heavily based on the one in BECMI.

For players that want things easy, they can pick a class and then pick a template within that class that provides their starting proficiencies and equipment, or they can build a class from scratch.

I'm playing in a ACKS game, and I'm totally unfamiliar with the rules! It started as a Basic Fantasy RPG game; then the GM decided he liked ACKS better and converted over. I've mostly been pretending that we're still playing BFRPG, except when the GM tells me I'm screwing something up. :smile: I should probably read the actual rules at some point, though ...

I'm playing in a ACKS game, and I'm totally unfamiliar with the rules! It started as a Basic Fantasy RPG game; then the GM decided he liked ACKS better and converted over. I've mostly been pretending that we're still playing BFRPG, except when the GM tells me I'm screwing something up. :smile: I should probably read the actual rules at some point, though ...
Yeah, if you are a player in an ACKS game, it is almost the same thing as playing in BFRPG. Most of the bells and whistles are on the GM's side of the screen

ACKS classes are mostly slightly houseruled from B/X or BECMI/RC — Fighters get a progressive damage bonus, Thief skills are d20 roll-over, etc. — and the core books already introduce other classes like the Assassin, Batd, Bladedancer, Explorer, Dwarven Craftpriest and Elven Nightblade.

The Player's Companion introduces 16 other classes and lays bare the class creation mechanics so you can create and fine-tune your own.

So yeah, I think ACKS' got you covered. :smile:

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back