Caesar's Masks: A New Generation Game - A Superheroic Chronicle

Caesar Slaad

Legendary Member
Reaction score
So, I had repeated interest in Masks as a game here, in addition to being really happy with the way it is shaping up, I am inspired to share my campaign notes.

The game is set in Halcyon City, the fictional Metropolis style city rife with superheroics, and the default setting for the game.

A few notes:
1) My game notes are mostly bullet points kept by me to capture the highlights and key plot points. I won't be restructuring this into a novella or anything like that.
2) This game is a reboot of a faltered game. I had some people flake out after the fist try. The remaining players made new characters and we played it again with some new players the next month. Though it was essentially a new game, I did collect a lot of ideas generated in the first go-round and decided to keep most of the material, including many NPCs I made for that game. As time went on, I eventually decided that this was an alternate reality from the original games. (Indeed, one of the new PCs is actually an alternate reality version of an old PC, though he doesn't know it.)
3) Though most of this material is original, I use some villains from the Masks game products (like Rosa Rook and Nano), and I use some material for Green Ronin's Freedom Universe and Jacob Blackmon's Super Powered Legends book.

Caesar Slaad

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Dramatis Personae and Background

The teen heroes (starting)

Yayael - The Transformed. A mysterious native American teen with a shifting reptile-like body and a connection to the "spirit plane"
Flashing Will/Emma Will - The Janus. A young woman with great strength and agility, and the ability to detect and absorb energy.
Ex113 "Excel" - The Bull. An orphaned boy with a mysterious past. Very strong, very good at fighting. Lived at Himura's boarding school for talented youth, before it was destroyed.
Evan Horizon - The Nova. A young man with gravity control powers who accidentally made his mother disappear.

Later we meet:
Night Gaunt
- The Beacon
Hex - The Delinquent

When the team first came together

The team's first mission (when they came together) was to defeat a cadre of assassin robots sent to take out Satoshi Himura, rich industrialist and chief benefactor of the school that Ex113 attended. Himura was saved, but unfortunately, the fight got a little out of hand and the school was effectively destroyed. A politician and industrialist named Alexander Murray used this incident to stoke fear over young supers.

Next: The first adventure!

Caesar Slaad

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Session 1 Summary (1/20/18):

PlayerCharacterPlaybook
DennisYayaelTransformed
DavidEx113Bull
ChrisEvan HorizonNova
StefanieFlashing WillJanus

• There is an ad campaign raising fear at the presence of supers; small annotations point to Alexander Murray.
  • The heroes all get invitations to an “informational session” at Rook Academy, a new exclusive school pitched with the intent of teaching “young powered supers” responsibility over their power.
  • Satoshi Himura, Ex113’s benefactor, sneers at the notion of Rook Industries being trusted with such an important responsibility.
  • Emma Will gets an invitation, despite her powers not being public. She finds out that this is due to her friend, Elizabeth Star, putting down Emma’s name on a “do you know anyone else who would be interested?” blank on an application form for Rook Academy.
  • The heroes arrive on a bus taking them to the event. Tables are catered, kids take advantage of this.
  • The site of the academy is next to the exclusion zone. The heroes can see the Rook Guardian[TM] robots lining the fence surrounding the exclusion zone.
  • The heroes go on a tour of the academy. They hear screams coming from the tent area.
  • On investigating, the heroes discover the Rook Guardians are advancing on the students. They defend them, but Flashing Will gets nabbed and pulled into an underground tunnel. Yayael chases down the robot in the tunnel, while Ex113 and Evan Horizon deal with the remaining robots grabbing students.
  • The robot emerges in a small outbuilding in the exclusion zone, to see a team of scientists led by Professor Proteus waiting to put captured students in tubes. A girl with a control collar seems to be factor controlling the Rook robots.
  • Ex113 and Evan arrive. Ex113, Yayael, and Flashing take down the scientists and free the girl.
  • Evan uses his portal ability to catch up with Professor Proteus fleeing on a hover-bike, only to have Proteus use a fusillade of dart-missiles to knock Evan out (setting us up for next time).

silva

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Nice writeups. Are all heroes in the team PCs, or do you insert some NPCs too?

Also, did you use formal Arcs as advised in the book? (I understand the very Rook Academy constitutes an Arc, and probably the Ad Campaign against metahumans too? If so, would you mind disclosing their countdown clocks ?)

Also, how often do you challenge the characters identities and stuff? Did you use the idea of Hooks from the book? Loved this idea myself, forming PC-NPCs triangles that push their labels in opposibg directions.

How often those Influence moves trigger? Do they feel natural when they do, or do they feel clunky?

Any Moment of Truth triggered yet?

(Sorry for the bombardment of questions, I'm pretty excited as you can see hehe)

Caesar Slaad

Legendary Member
Reaction score
The four you see listed at the top are PCs. Later they do team up with some NPCs. One thing that's nice about Masks is that the PCs easily build relationships.

I find arcs a little hard to use as written, but lean on them lightly. Sometimes my ideas don't neatly fit into the categories they give you, but the Rook Academy thing is the beginning of a Corruption arc.

I use hooks every session. I've sort of subsumed the hook idea into my "6 point NPC" technique, which I may talk about later.

By "influence moves" i assume you mean shifting labels? It happens all the time, perhaps an average of 1-2 times per PC per session. It's pretty natural.

13 sessions in, Night Gaunt and Emma Will have both used a Moment of Truth. Both were big impacts to the setting, and I'm loving the mechanic.

Last edited:

silva

Legendary Member
Reaction score
That's cool. Thanks for the info.

find arcs a little hard to use as written, but lean on them lightly. Sometimes my ideas don't neatly fit into the categories they give you, but the Rook Academy thing is the beginning of a Corruption arc.
The Arcs seem adapted from the countdown clocks in AW where you track threats plans or other developments running in the backgrounds and if the players don't interact with them, shit happens. In that vein, the different sub-types presented probably serve more to inspire than to be a rigid classification.

use hooks every session. I've sort of subsumed the hook idea into my "6 point NPC" technique, which I may talk about later.
Please do if you can.

By "influence moves" i assume you mean shifting labels? It happens all the time, perhaps an average of 1-2 times per PC per session. It's pretty natural
Yep that's it.

Another question:

Are situational modifiers a thing? I dont remember seeing it in the book. PbtA vary wildly in this, some hacks suggesting using them sparingly, others not using them at all, etc. Usually the ones that do not use them do as you said before in your "5 power levels" ruling (which I loved BTW) - if the players are not in condition to affect something in the fiction, the GM simply vetoes the roll and ask them to try something else until they do.

Skywalker

Legendary Member
Reaction score
There are no situational modifiers. It uses narrative positioning as do most PbtA RPGs.

Caesar Slaad

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Please do if you can.

Another question:

Are situational modifiers a thing? I dont remember seeing it in the book. PbtA vary wildly in this, some hacks suggesting using them sparingly, others not using them at all, etc. Usually the ones that do not use them do as you said before in your "5 power levels" ruling (which I loved BTW) - if the players are not in condition to affect something in the fiction, the GM simply vetoes the roll and ask them to try something else until they do.
6 point NPCs: Masks is very much a "play to find out what happens" system, but I do like having all my decks loaded, so to speak. When I prep for a session, I type a 1-3 page list of possible events and NPCs to encounter.

To help make sure that the session fits the larger narrative, when I am deciding which NPCs might feature in a session, I use a "6 point list". Basically, I start with the NPCs I already know might feature in the game, and make a matrix describing which of the 6 following roles they can fill:
1 - New
2 - Recurring
3 - Rook Academy student/former student
4 - City figure
5 - Backstory figure (from PC backstory)
6 - Hook (can serve as a hook per Masks rules)

Then if I see any are missing (including recurring that aren't rook students or backstory figures, who are pretty much always recurring), I circle back and consider what NPCs I can introduce that might fill the missing roles. That way I at least have a crib sheet ready for me to run the session with.

Masks being what it is, I don't always use all the planned NPCs. I usually just save any stragglers for the next session.

Of course if my campaign is different, this list would look different. An Agents of AEGIS campaign might replace Rook Academy students with AEGIS agents. An X-men style campaign might put in mutants or Xavier's students.

Situational modifiers: Not in the D&D sense. You don't usually say things like "it's windy, so the beacon gets -1 to engage or unleash with the bow". There are conditions, of course. And you can do stuff like have the Elemental Control prodigy use his powers to boost the Beacon's attack by spending a team pool. But that's more narrative than sim.

If something seems narratively important to you, you can make it important in play. The main way the system proscribes to do this is the Custom Moves. Many custom moves give +1 or -1 forward or ongoing depending on the outcome of the move.

silva

Legendary Member
Reaction score
6 point NPCs: Masks is very much a "play to find out what happens" system, but I do like having all my decks loaded, so to speak. When I prep for a session, I type a 1-3 page list of possible events and NPCs to encounter.

To help make sure that the session fits the larger narrative, when I am deciding which NPCs might feature in a session, I use a "6 point list". Basically, I start with the NPCs I already know might feature in the game, and make a matrix describing which of the 6 following roles they can fill:
1 - New
2 - Recurring
3 - Rook Academy student/former student
4 - City figure
5 - Backstory figure (from PC backstory)
6 - Hook (can serve as a hook per Masks rules)

Then if I see any are missing (including recurring that aren't rook students or backstory figures, who are pretty much always recurring), I circle back and consider what NPCs I can introduce that might fill the missing roles. That way I at least have a crib sheet ready for me to run the session with.

Masks being what it is, I don't always use all the planned NPCs. I usually just save any stragglers for the next session.

Of course if my campaign is different, this list would look different. An Agents of AEGIS campaign might replace Rook Academy students with AEGIS agents. An X-men style campaign might put in mutants or Xavier's students.
Thanks for describing this method. I'm noting it down. I'm usually fine just by following through players responses 'n stuff in the "first session" and then developing threats from there (and improvising the rest), but your method seems good for when the group is on a dry. And I don't think it violates the "play to find out" agenda at all, as you're not writing plots in advance, just coming up with potential stuff to show up that makes sense to be there anyway.

I can't wait to start playing it, man.

Caesar Slaad

Legendary Member
Reaction score
BTW, I plan on uploading a new session description every Monday.

Caesar Slaad

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Session 2 Summary (4/14/18):

PlayerCharacterPlaybook
DennisYayaelTransformed
DavidEx113Bull
ChrisEvan HorizonNova
BlakeNight Gaunt (new)Beacon
  • Night Gaunt is a new team member. He saw their heroics in the face of the robot attack, and approaches them when gathering afterwords. (Unbeknownst to the team, Night Gaunt faked his way into the school, forging his invitation.)
  • Alexander Murray comes on the news blasting the young heroes for breaking the law and causing mayhem; Rook Academy offers to take them in and teach them responsibility.
  • Meanwhile, Evan Horizon finds himself in a lab, drugged. (See the love letter below). A girl tried to help Evan, but got stopped. He finds himself on a bench across from a pub, where he sees Alexander Murray’s news conference. He also finds the girl’s access badge. The badge indicates she was a volunteer helper (“candy striper”) at a nursing home attached to an old hospital. The badge says her name is Cynthia Gerry (this is a fake name…)
  • Evan takes a bus to the Rook Academy and tells the rest of the team what happened, and shows them the badge. Night Gaunt steals a suburban belonging to Shadowblade, a stealth-based instructor at Rook Academy.
  • At the Nursing home, they bluff their way in. They present the badge and the receptionist calls over the loudspeaker. She gets a call back to a room that is in a construction zone. They make their way past, and find a construction zone and a stairway down.
  • They find a secret lab in the basement and face a pair of inhuman looking men-in-black wielding bulbous onion-like guns. They dispatch the creatures. Night Gaunt takes one of the guns. As the creatures are dispatched, they make screeching noises. They heroes hear echoes in the distance. With her super-senses, Flashing Will determines that the sounds aren’t really echoes of the screeches, but complicated and distinct responses in an alien language.
  • They find a route into an ancient hospital. Yayael spots the girl (Jenna, alias Cynthia Gerry) in distended form, who warns him they are walking into a trap before slithering away.
  • They proceed, a brutish alien-looking man slams the door behind them and grows to distended proportions. More of the screeching creatures are in the distance, and the lights go off.
  • Ex113 and Yayael take the brute down, but not before Yayael loses control to his snake-spirit and attacks Ex113. The thrashing around dangerously damages to the support beams.
  • Night Gaunt notices Professor Proteus slipping off, guarded by some Gila-men. He dispatches the guards and causes Proteus’ vehicle to crash.
  • Evan convinces Night Gaunt to turn Professor Proteus over to the police, but he is sprung hours later by some men-in-black type government agents.
  • (Asked to monitor Rook Academy by Himura)
  • (Invited to a Rook new student party by Pixel)
    • Flashing Will met Chimera (F), a shapeshifter who combines different animals. Emma also broke a Rook Academy sports trophy (to clear her anger).
    • Yayael hung out with Joey Talltree (tribal member with plant control powers), who shared some peyote with him. Talltree gained influence over Yayael.
    • Evan Horizon met the very hot Samantha Sears AKA Corona’s Light, and relaxed a bit (cleared a condition)
    • Ex113 met Tiffany Belz, a new student with Psychic Powers who was on a bus he smashed. She initially pissed him off, but she regretted it later (he gained influence).
    • Night Gaunt hung out with Pixel (M techempath) in the DJ booth (gained influence) and didn’t get in trouble with the faculty.
    • The students heard the clamor about the Superior Six Standoff, which is looking at recruiting members to a “junior team” sponsored by Rook.
  • The heroes participate in the Superior Six Standoff:
    • Night Gaunt failed because he was relying on stealth and his opponent had superhuman senses and his martial arts weren’t up to the task.
    • Yayael did not make the team, and learned with his pit viper senses that at least some of the competitors were not human. (Learn disturbing secret about Rook Academy.)
    • Flashing Will made the team! She faced off against Edmund Flare (blast powers, took influence) and heard rumors that Flare’s mentor (who is on the Superior Six) was involved in the assault on the lab in the exclusion zone (not public knowledge).
    • Evan Horizon faced off against Samantha Sears, and took influence over her when he saved an observing relative of hers from a stray solar energy bolt.
    • Ex113 actually bested his opponent in the competition, but pissed off a judge, who marked him down (possibility: there was some secret, sinister reason the judge did this.)

Caesar Slaad

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Custom Moves used, session 2:

From Masks G+ group:
When You Attend a Rowdy Student Party...
...tell me who you met and what stood out about them. Then roll with +Superior. On 10+ pick two, on 7-9 pick one:

* you gain Influence over the person you met
* you clear a Condition
* you didn't get in trouble with the faculty

On a miss, the person you met shifts your Labels (GM's choice) and gains Influence over you.

When you compete in the Superior Six Standoff:
Roll + Your weakest Label (choose on a tie).
On a hit, the ordeals of the competition taught you something. Shift the used label up and one other label down (your choice).
On a 10+, you are on the team, and choose both.
On a 7-9, choose one:
  • Learn a disturbing truth about Rook Academy or about the Superior Six (player choice).
  • Describe one of the competitors you faced during the competition who you came to an accord with. Take influence over them.

On a miss, describe how your weak label cost you the competition, and what you learned from it. The GM shifts the used label up and one other label down.
Disturbing Truths:

Inputs from Dave Hill on the Masks G+ community:

• One or more of the Rook Academy competitors were {robots|clones|aliens} ... at least they were at this competition.
  • One or more of the Rook Academy competitors were taking some sort of meta-performance enhancing drug.
  • The Superior Six were involved in [controversial international event], though this has been not only hushed up, but an alibi established.
  • A previously well-known member of [either team] is no longer around, and nobody seems to know (or want to say) what became of them. [It's best if you you have an idea of what happened to them, but that can be kicked down the road if need be.]
  • The origin story of one or more members of [either team] is fake (the name isn't in the records, the ID is phony, that hospital never existed, etc.).
The question of who else actually knows this disturbing truth (is Rook involved in the cover-up? Do other authorities know about it?) can be an investigation for another day.

The Superior Six final bracket (top two get in):

1​
Night Gaunt
2​
Arctic WolfArctic Wolf
3​
Yayael
4​
FirestarYayaelArctic Wolf
5​
Flashing Will
6​
HaloFlashing Will
7​
Edmund Flare
8​
Tiffany BelzEdmund FlareFlashing WillFlashing Will
9​
Evan Horizon
10​
Corona's LightEvan Horizon
11​
Fusillad
12​
Blue BoltFusilladFusilladFusillad
13​
Ex113
14​
GhostwalkerEx113
15​
Chimera
16​
TalltreeChimeraEx113
Bots/Ringers – Arctic Wolf (super senses, strength, agility, cold), Blue bolt (superspeed)

Love letter for Evan Horizon

Dear Evan Horizon
(No, this is not Halcyon City’s hit new musical.)
(I suspect either you don't get that joke, or I've stumbled upon the inspiration for your character's name.)

Last time we met, you were ambushed by the dastardly Professor Proteus, who knocked you out with a Fusillade of missile darts.

Now you are in a secret lab, at best at the edge of consciousness. Occasionally, a big man and a tall, wiry man — Professor Proteus? — enter the room, and you hear conversation with the phrases like "can't risk it" and "not our primary objective".

Sometime later, someone new — a young girl, perhaps no older than you — enters the room, only to be loudly interrogated and chased out by the big dude.

But then you begin to come to consciousness. You look up to see that a bobby pin has been clipped to your IV line, restricting the flow of the drug, giving you a chance for escape.

Let's see what happens. Roll + superior:

On a miss, the guard notices you moving more than you should, removes the bobby pin, and you slip back into unconsciousness. You awaken on a bench at a bus station, an unclean looking man shaking your shoulder saying “you okay, son?” The only sign that you were anywhere unusual is a welt or scar on your arm. That’s where a dart hit, right? That must be it. Mark insecure.

On a 7-9, you were sharp enough to stay unnoticed until you were alert enough to collect some information about your surroundings. Choose one:
  • You get a clue to the girl’s identity or whereabouts.
  • You remember a clue to the location of the lab.
After that, however, the ruse is discovered and they put you back to sleep and you wake up on the bench as above (but you don’t have a scar and don’t mark insecure.)

On a 10+, the ruse goes unnoticed, at least temporarily. You are able to get a clue to your team members where you are, and can use your powers, though you are still a bit groggy (-1 ongoing for the rest of the ensuing fight.)

Best of luck,
Your GM
(He rolled 7-9 and woke with the badge of Jenna’s assumed identity.)

Caesar Slaad

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Session 3 Summary (5/12/18):

PlayerCharacterPlaybook
DennisYayaelTransformed
DavidEx113 (“Excel”)Bull
ChrisEvan HorizonNova

Character note: the Superior Six:

The Superior Six are Rook Industries' marquee super-team, distrusted by the older super teams in the city. In addition to Flashing Will (PC) and Fussilad (NPC Rook academy student), the superior six are Opal, Hardware, Cryptic, and Mentallica. See Emma's custom move (next post) for details on these characters.

Fulcrum is a villain that wears odd bulbous power armor and claims he is the "source of all powers" and has the ability to control powers of other superhuman beings.

Events:
  • Flashing Will Patrols with the Superior Six (see custom move/love letter). She learns the Opal is taking cues from Hardware (Hardware secretly controls Opal through his armor.) Opal lost influence over Flashing Will (not that it matters).
  • The rest of the team Attends Class at the Rook Academy (see custom move/love broadcast).
  • Yayael shared struggles in Bastion’s class with Pixel. He gained influence over Pixel, and he learned that despite his friendly old professor demeanor, Bastion is really loyal to the Rook cause.
  • Bastion lost influence on Yayael.
  • Yayael gained influence on Pixel.
  • Evan Horizon attended Shadowblade’s class.
  • He learned that behind Shadowblade’s prickly exterior, he is secretly investigating Rook Academy.
  • He ingratiated himself to Shadowblade and gained influence over him.
  • Ex113 attended Bastion’s class. He also learned that Bastion is secretly a Rook loyalist and Bastion lost influence over Ex113.
  • The Rook Academy students go to a combat simulation facility with a retired bank, mannequins, and robot drones. The heroes (minus Emma) and Talltree are beating the simulation and are being critiqued by Shadowblade when his feed drops.
  • They look outside to see that Fulcrum has arrived and knocked out Shadowblade, and is using Tiffany’s Belz’s powers to throw up a psychic barrier around the bank.
  • While the team is completing a simulation, Fulcrum shows up, bragging that he is the source of all supers powers and he can control all powers (a bluff – he can control powers, but this was through stolen Rook tech.) He takes control of Tiffany Belz and uses her to erect a force field around the bank.
  • Superior Six arrives on the scene, and Opal slams Fulcrum into the ground. But Fulcrum takes control of Opal, and uses his invisible power containment pod to “capture” Pixel (Emma sees him disappear). Using Pixel’s power, he nullifies Hardware’s armor capabilities and takes control of Opal.
  • Fulcrum arrogantly claims he is the “source of all superhuman powers.”
  • Ex113 attacks Opal, Opal weathers his blows easily (only Evan’s attacks can hurt Opal.)
  • The group manages to fend off Opal and discover Fulcrum’s controls.
  • They destroy Fulcrum’s control. Instead of merely freeing Opal, Opal goes berserk and starts laying waste to the city.
  • The group saves the citizens in a section of the skyscraper Opal tore off.
  • Talking with the hobbled Hardware, he says his system “programmed” Opal, but somehow Fulcrum could do the same thing with his controls.
  • Evan flashes back to a Rook Academy course talking about alien intelligences and determines that he can speak to it by modulating energy. He finds out that the alien entity that is really Opal isn’t lashing out per se, it just doesn’t understand.
  • The team destroys Hardware’s control module, but this causes Opal to go berserk.
  • Evan learns that Opal in a cosmic intelligence that the super being Opal is a façade. He decides to help him return to the cosmos, risking flak from destroying Halycon City’s mightiest hero (though secretly under Rook’s thumb).
  • However, after AEGIS arrives and takes control over the situation, Rook soon asserts that Fulcrum’s armor is their stolen tech. They reclaim the tech, which is more than likely to show up and cause problems for the heroes in the future.
  • Aside, Emma befriended Mentallica and helped her get some distance from the image that has been crafted for her (went shopping, got some nice clothes.)

Caesar Slaad

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Custom Moves Used, Session 3:

Move for Emma Will, Patrolling with the Superior Six (Love Letter format)

Emma,

While your companions are schooling at the Rook academy, you get to do some patrols with the Superior Six. It turns out that the team actually has more than Six members, but while some of the permanent members are on hiatus, you get to hobnob with four key members of the established team, plus yourself and the other winner of the Superior Six Standoff. The other members of the team are:
  • The Living Opal (or just “Opal”) – A huge super who looks like a statue made of translucent white gemstone with a glow coming from within. He is an extremely powerful being, but very soft spoken and affable.
  • Hardware – a slender man with unkempt hair and atrophied limbs. He appears to be disabled, but he uses a powered armor-like apparatus to go beyond just a normal level of capability. He is a super-competent technologist and hacker.
  • Cryptic – A man dressed like a ninja with a strange metallic visor and a bandolier of exotic looking devices. He almost never speaks in non-tactical situations and relies on his stealth abilities and gadgets.
  • Mentallica – A young hero with a rocker-girl motif. She has telekinetic and psychic powers, though is most proficient at using them offensively. She spends most of her time with headphones in, listening to music that is always loud enough for bystanders to hear.
  • Fussilad – The other winner of the Superior Six Standoff. He’s a jock-type with cybernetic arms and exoskeleton, with many ports from which he can discharge his various weapons. He’s a member of the Rook Academy and seems disdainful of Flashing Will.

So what happens on these training patrols? Roll + Superior.
On a 7-9, choose one. On a 10+, choose both:
  • Learn a secret about Hardware, Opal, or Cryptic (choose). They lose influence over you.
  • During a tense conflict, you learn more about Mentallica or Fussilad (choose). You gain influence over them.

On a miss, you goof up while on a mission and earn the scorn of your teammates (describe how). Mark Insecure (or any other condition if it is already marked) and shift Danger up and Superior down. In addition, your mundane life obligations rear their ugly head, as described in your playbook.

Move for Schooling at the Rook Academy

At the Rook Academy, you are publicly trying to learn, but secretly keeping an eye on the practices of Rook Academy. How does this go?

There are many instructors at Rook Academy, but a few stand out. When attending class at Rook Academy, choose one instructor that was particularly influential to you:
  • Shadowblade – An African-American man who appears to only have a black wardrobe, with the ability to conjure weapons out of shadow. Always very serious and dour. Sort of scary.
  • Bastion – He looks like a stereotypical eccentric science professor with frizzy gray hair except for the chrome boxes protruding from his balding scalp. Has a genius level intellect and psychic powers.

If you chose Shadowblade, roll + Superior.
If you chose Bastion, roll + Freak.

On a hit, hold one flashback.
On a 7-9 choose one. On a 10+, choose two:
  • Gain insight or learn a secret about your instructor. They lose influence over you.
  • You ingratiate yourself to your instructor. You gain influence over them.
  • You and another Rook student (choose one or create a new one) form an accord to get by in the class; describe how. You gain influence over them. If you already have influence over them, describe how your experience affected you; shift the chosen label up and any other label down.

Spend one flashback to learn an important fact you learned during class that can help you during the current situation. The GM may reveal a fact pertinent to the fiction, or treat as if the hero rolled a hit while assessing the situation.

On a miss, you cross your new instructor in a bad way; describe how. Mark a condition, and the GM will shift your labels.