Call of Cthulhu Chat Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Just played through the solo adventure in the Starter Set. Without spoiling anything, I died. :smile: It was a sort of victory, though, so I felt good about my sacrifice ... It was fun, and definitely captured the feel of the classic style of CoC adventure, and did a good job of introducing folks to chargen and gameplay. I'm wondering how many endings it has and if it's worth playing through again.

I haven’t seen the boxed set but I will say that adding in a solo adventure was a fantastic idea. Best way to teach new players the game.

Down Darker Trails is a great supplement. The old west is a perfect setting for Mythos horrors.
I wasn't going to buy this for a while, but this review has got me drooling, so it'll be another BRP purchase for me soon:

Call of Cthulhu 7E - Down Darker Trails

Down Darker Trails is one of the best 7e supplements in my opinion. The Old West is a perfect setting for Mythos horrors and the chapter on adapting various Mythos monsters to fit into western lore is quite useful.
Also, Chaosium just released a new campaign for Down Darker Trails, Shadows Over Stillwater, this week.

Jason and Tom on Fear of a Black Dragon occasionally dip into CoC and they have a good review of the Montreal-set CoC investigation Horror's Heart and a discussion of how to adapt a railroady scenario into something more open:

Down Darker Trails is a great supplement. The old west is a perfect setting for Mythos horrors.

Down Darker Trails is one of the best 7e supplements in my opinion. The Old West is a perfect setting for Mythos horrors and the chapter on adapting various Mythos monsters to fit into western lore is quite useful.
Also, Chaosium just released a new campaign for Down Darker Trails, Shadows Over Stillwater, this week.
Yep. Best supplement so far.

Yep. Best supplement so far.

Man, I gotta get this.

And then convert to SW with Deadlands Reloaded and Realms of Cthulhu, because that would probably fill in my “weird Western” demand better than the Deadlands setting.

Here is the table of contents if you're interested.
DDT TOC.PNG

The 80 page "The Historical West" chapter I found very interesting. I'm not extremely knowledgeable on that time and place so this may be overly introductory to some people, but I thought it was a useful primer.
"The Supernatural West" is mostly system agnostic. The Monsters of the Old West isn't monster stats, rather each entry of traditional Mythos horrors is given a paragraph or two explaining how they fit into an Old West setting, as well as some references to further reading. The Books and Magic would need a bit of work to adapt to another system (I'm not familiar with SW specifically), but the entries are more descriptive than mechanic, which aids the portability. And Cults and Secret Societies are just descriptions of antagonist groups.
"Lost Worlds" describes a few mini-settings. They're pretty pulpish. Cowboys vs. dinosaurs kind of thing.
Pawheton ad San Rafael are just small towns that could be dropped into any western game. I'd love to see more stuff like this. Just a location with some interesting people, history, and a dozen or so creepy hooks to get you started. Highly useful to me.
As for the adventures, I ran Something From Down There. It's a quite short but good introductory scenario involving investigating a mine shaft. We had a great time with it. I haven't run Scanlon's Daughter. I don't remember how to do spoiler tags here, so I'll just say that I've had enough of the antagonists of that one. It reads as a decent adventure though.
The art throughout is pretty good. There's a mix of line drawings, like that in the TOC above, sepia toned action scenes, and some bucolic painted scenes. None of it is anything I'd want to save and show to people, but it all fits the material very well. As opposed to some more recent efforts. I still haven't bought Shadows Over Stillwater in hardcover because of this ugly, ridiculous, cartoon crap:
SoS Cover.png

On the other hand, Berlin: The Wicked City is not a book I am at all interested in for content, but that picture Voros Voros posted is fantastic and sells the setting wonderfully. Chaosium - more of that, less of whatever's going on with the Starter Set and Stillwater.

I'm halfway through the new Dark Ages pdf:

Enjoying it so far. With this and Crawford's Wolves of God we're getting a good deal of Anglo-Saxon content. Pronunciation guide is very good. Has some cool syncretic stuff for the Mythos gods (e.g. Shub-Niggurath is the Virgin Mary) and tons of spells inspired by actual Dark Ages magic. Comes with a fleshed out Anglo-Saxon burh (fotified village) setting and three scenarios. Amazing suggested reading material. Author seems to be quite an expert on the subject.

Might stick up a more detailed review of it at some point.

Enjoying it so far. With this and Crawford's Wolves of God we're getting a good deal of Anglo-Saxon content. Pronunciation guide is very good. Has some cool syncretic stuff for the Mythos gods (e.g. Shub-Niggurath is the Virgin Mary) and tons of spells inspired by actual Dark Ages magic. Comes with a fleshed out Anglo-Saxon burh (fotified village) setting and three scenarios. Amazing suggested reading material. Author seems to be quite an expert on the subject.

I'd love to hear more about it if you feel like writing a review. I somehow missed that they were working on a new version of Dark Ages. I've been slightly disappointed with Chaosium's latest releases but this looks like it could be very good.

Real close to grabbing the Dark Ages book. It’s sitting in my cart atm (for a couple days now). Appreciate your thoughts on it.

Bit on the light side, but you can get a Call of Cthulhu colouring book from Chaosium's online store:

You can get the quickstart and two supplements in POD as well:

I just got the PDFs for the Swedish translation of 7th edition. It isn't a straight translation, so the setting information is Europe in the 1920's with focus on Sweden.

First impression; looks good.

How have I missed this thread for so long? I really need to get out more.

I just got the PDFs for the Swedish translation of 7th edition. It isn't a straight translation, so the setting information is Europe in the 1920's with focus on Sweden.

First impression; looks good.

I wish they would translate the setting portion to English.

Considering the amount of people that can read English over here, not sure why they didn't wrote it in English to begin with.
In order to publish it as a supplement :smile:?

In order to publish it as a supplement :smile:?
Making a Swedish version made quite a few of us buying the core rules twice, just to get the settings part. Not sure if there is any plans to translate the setting part, but I hope so.

Would be pretty sad if it shows up a lot of European 1920's information, arranged for roleplaying, but all of it in the local language.

Considering the amount of people that can read English over here, not sure why they didn't wrote it in English to begin with.

Yeah, travelling in Scandinavia is nice when you only speak English. Other than signs and the kronor exchange rate it really wasn't that different than travelling in the US.

Kickstarter for a Call of Cthulhu campaign that's set in French Vietnam using 7E rules.

Players: Another TPK! God we hate Fantasy Fucking Vietnam, it’s the deadliest ever!

Cthulhu Fucking Vietnam: Hold my beer.

Kickstarter for a Call of Cthulhu campaign that's set in French Vietnam using 7E rules.

Great setting, don't think I can afford any more KS at the moment though. Will have to pick this up on pdf later.

Anyone have experience with Beyond the Mountains of Madness? I'm actually not a big fan of that story, but I do see the adventure potential, with the right group. Players who like logistics, mostly.

Anyone have experience with Beyond the Mountains of Madness? I'm actually not a big fan of that story, but I do see the adventure potential, with the right group. Players who like logistics, mostly.

It is logistics heavy from what I've recall (read it years ago, never ran it) which actually has given it a bit of a mixed reputation. I'm a fan of the story though so it would be worthwhile for me even if I have to hack it to a degree.

Anyone have experience with Beyond the Mountains of Madness?

Yes. It's very different from other classic CoC big adventures like Masks of Nyarlothotep or Day of the Beast, in that it's not really a series of interconnected adventures, it's more of one long adventure, and it's a slow burn until the final crescendo. It starts in New York, and rather than cultists or strange artifacts, you're dealing with reporters and gangsters, and...shopping. And then there's the trip to Antartica, and from there stuff starts to snowball, but up until the very end it's all pretty much realistic perils and more grounded in psychological and survival horror.

Its a massive adventure. The older edition I have is easiy over 400 pages. I think it's a masterpiece, but it requires the right group and a solidly experienceed GM. It's probably the last module I'd recommend to a group new to Call of Cthulhu.

Yes. It's very different from other classic CoC big adventures like Masks of Nyarlothotep or Day of the Beast, in that it's not really a series of interconnected adventures, it's more of one long adventure, and it's a slow burn until the final crescendo. It starts in New York, and rather than cultists or strange artifacts, you're dealing with reporters and gangsters, and then there's the trip to Antartica, and from there stuff starts to snowball, but up until the very end it's all pretty much realistic perils and more grounded in psychological and survival horror.
Well that sounds pretty freaking perfect.

Call of Cthulhu Classic, via @Kickstarter

Looks pretty exciting, especially since a good chunk of the stuff you get out of it should be useful for whatever edition (like the Arkham poster match stretch goal - and of course any of the adventures from the pile of supplements they're doing it can be very easily run in 7th edition).

I’ve backed this - but one thing I would note is that you only need to back this at core book level to have access to the upcoming Pledgemanager. There are a bunch of books being funded by this campaign, after each stretch goal is raised.

My month’s budget is about to get spent already on this week’s release of the new 2300AD, so for me at least having the option to shop later is greatly appreciated.

It will be good to have all the original material released in full colour along with the rules update to the current RPG. Indeed, I wonder who else will find the 1990s setting to be a better default than the modern era now?

Yet another great add on via their Backerkit. I already have DG in pdf and I'm happy with it so I've got to figure out if backing this at the core book level is worth it to me to get access to these other goodies.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back