Casting the Runes: Occult Investigation in the World of M.R. James

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I can't say I've been aware of that misconception. It's not what I've found off-putting about ToC's rules.

If you leave out the meta currency will the game still work? Is there anything else unique about it? I've only read the books for the setting/mythos interpretations and scenarios...

i am no expert, but I would say no. it's a simple mechanic, if you look at it crossways it reminds me of Numenera with it's pool expenditures. You never really roll against investigative abilities, you spend out of the pool for extra information. General skills are spent on rolls, adding one per point spent. they refresh every so often.

I think the important thing is how to treat investigations and how to think about them.

To my mind, all these 'points expenditure for re-rolls' systems originated from Mind's Eye Theatre LARP games. You'd have a bunch of traits to bid for every conflict, which you'd spend and have re-rolls with the skills.

To my mind, all these points expenditure for re-rolls originated from Mind's Eye Theatre LARP games.

I am pretty sure they exited before that, though Gumshoe doesn't really do rerolls that I am aware of. It's points for a) automatic success and additional info and b) points to exceed the normal 50/50 shot to beat a difficulty.

to me, it's fairly story driven, as opposed to world simulation driven.

I am pretty sure they exited before that, though Gumshoe doesn't really do rerolls that I am aware of. It's points for a) automatic success and additional info and b) points to exceed the normal 50/50 shot to beat a difficulty.

to me, it's fairly story driven, as opposed to world simulation driven.
By all means provide your citation of a game that did so before 1993 (when MET first came out), but actually I don't think there is. I agree with the SJGames Pyramid article from way back that MET was one of the most influential (and underrated) games of the 20th century.

Let me elaborate on how the the MET system works:

Characters are defined by a list of adjectives called traits, which are organised into categories - Social, Mental, Physical and Abilities (skills). Most of the time you just roleplay a character accordingly, but if there is a question of doubt over succeeding against an obstacle or opponent you make a challenge. This involves making a bid with one of your traits, appropriate to the situation, against a bid from the traits of the obstacle or opponent. The contest involves Rock-Paper-Scissors, with the loser crossing off the trait from their list. If it's a tie (Rock vs Rock, Paper vs Paper, etc) then the person with the most traits in the appropriate category (Physical, Social, Mental) win. If you have an Ability trait, you can use it to make a re-challenge. The trait pools can be refreshed with the expenditure of a Willpower point from that pool.

Tell me this doesn't sound familiar to a number of narrative games today?

Last edited:
By all means provide your citation of a game that did so before 1993 (when MET first came out), but actually I don't think there is. I agree with the SJGames Pyramid article from way back that MET was one of the most influential (and underrated) games of the 20th century.

sadly, I don't have one, and am going based on memory. Nor am i any RPG historian (just a long time playing). Frankly, it could have easily been a house rule that I'm remebering and it was not systemitized anywhere.

I've not read the article, but I have no doubt that MET was highly influential.

I can't say I've been aware of that misconception. It's not what I've found off-putting about ToC's rules.

If you leave out the meta currency will the game still work? Is there anything else unique about it? I've only read the books for the setting/mythos interpretations and scenarios...
I think it would be easier just to play Call of Cthulhu or Delta Green than to try and repurpose Gumshoe.

One of Trail of Cthulhu's features was touted as "solving Call of Cthulhu's problem", which was identified as players missing a vital clue through a failed skill roll and thereby halting an investigation. If you position ToC like this then it's likely to get a defensive reaction from CoC fans who don't think CoC is a problem to be solved. If Trail had done less of this and more of "this is a different way of playing a mystery game" it might have avoided that negative reaction. Regardless of what CoC players & GMs think about Trail, the adventures are excellent and easily adapted to CoC.
I've always thought of that as an adventure design issue rather than a systemic one.

I've always thought of that as an adventure design issue rather than a systemic one.
Maybe it is, but completion of the story being funneled through a particular point that relies on a particular outcome is not uncommon in other genres as well. Since I read Gumshoe and thought about that, I’ve sine seen the same advice In many places.

what I think is sort of interesting here is that it is sort of explicitly... story-ist? Maybe there the right word. The story is paramount, and it doesn’t matter that that path would be logically defended, or no real provision is put in place to drop the defense. You are supposed to proceed through the story.

im probably botching up what I’m saying there a bit, but I think about it more now when doing adventure design (and still fail regularly). I see it in level design for video games too - make sure there are multiple paths.

didn't Prince Valiant let you spend a metacurrency for "rerolls" (reflips of the coins as it were)? I may be misremembering that, I haven't reread it in a criminally long time. PV was, overall, a pretty big influence on White Wolf though.

didn't Prince Valiant let you spend a metacurrency for "rerolls" (reflips of the coins as it were)? I may be misremembering that, I haven't reread it in a criminally long time. PV was, overall, a pretty big influence on White Wolf though.
No, there wasn't any meta-currency system in Prince Valiant.

Curiously, however, Prince Valiant gave the model for the tabletop Storyteller system by making 'pools' of coins based on the number of dots you had for traits.

There were just two stats (Brawn and Presence) and a dozen or so Skills, all rated 1-5, which were added together to make your pool (1-10) and this determined the number of coins you tossed. Each Head you tossed (…ahem!) was added up for degrees of success. These could be opposed by an opponents coin pools, or just be a static number of successes required.

This was just like in WoD games, except they used a pool of D10s with varying difficulty targets and had more stats, and a meta currency system of sorts (Willpower). Prince Valiant is clearly the prototype system that developed into the Storyteller system though.

When I've heard Laws talk about the game, it isn't just a matter of avoiding failure bottlenecks. It's about providing the players with all the clues that they look for. It's interesting as Gumshoe came into existence around the same time the OSR was starting to pick up steam, and both subscribe to the idea that "Find Clue" checks aren't actually very interesting. It's more interesting to just let players find what they are looking for and let them see what they do with those clues.

Laws also talks about how failure to find clues isn't really a part of the genre. Characters may miss the significance of a clue, perhaps putting it together later, but they do find it. "Armitage consulted the Necronomicon, but his Latin wasn't good enough to find anything relevant in it."

My approach to building scenarios around a mystery/clue solving is to always avoid the bottleneck of the essential clue. I never make it so that there is a clue that the player-characters must find/solve to advance the plot. Instead I seed multiple clues that work like the pieces of a jigsaw - the more clues found/solved the better an idea the pcs will have of what's going on and the better prepared they will be to deal with the situation.

When I've heard Laws talk about the game, it isn't just a matter of avoiding failure bottlenecks. It's about providing the players with all the clues that they look for. It's interesting as Gumshoe came into existence around the same time the OSR was starting to pick up steam, and both subscribe to the idea that "Find Clue" checks aren't actually very interesting. It's more interesting to just let players find what they are looking for and let them see what they do with those clues.

Laws also talks about how failure to find clues isn't really a part of the genre. Characters may miss the significance of a clue, perhaps putting it together later, but they do find it. "Armitage consulted the Necronomicon, but his Latin wasn't good enough to find anything relevant in it."
How does he advise you to deal with the time players look for clues that aren't there? You know what I mean, players sometimes latch on to random ideas and try to run with things that don't go anywhere.

It's interesting as Gumshoe came into existence around the same time the OSR was starting to pick up steam, and both subscribe to the idea that "Find Clue" checks aren't actually very interesting. It's more interesting to just let players find what they are looking for and let them see what they do with those clues.

this tidbit of advice had a fair amount of impact on my later GMing.

With investigations and BRP-like systems I've used clue-gating based on the level of the skill (if you have 50%+ Medicine you find this..) but not asking for a roll, if a PC tries their skill roll and succeeds they might get extra information depending on how well they roll, but they get the initial clue based on the level of their skill, if they have it.

Finding the most essential or interesting clues if asked for does come from my reading of Gumshoe & Trail. I noticed when I ran the Mythras scenario in "Waterlands" there are quite a lot of skill checks called for when searching for clues as part of the investigation, most these I changed to 'find-if-asked-for' instead of calling for skill checks, having all those clues did make the adventure more interesting but nevertheless did not provide any concrete proof one way or the other, it was still up to the PCs to gauge how they were going to respond.

What did the stars do again then?
Gold Stars and Storyteller Certificates are in the Advanced Game which, I think, were introduced in the latest version of the game (2018) and weren't in the original 1989 edition.

Last edited:
Gold Stars and Storyteller Certificates are in the Advanced Game which, I think, were introduced in the latest version of the game (2018) and weren't in the original 1989 edition.

No, I only ever read the original.

Last edited:
How does he advise you to deal with the time players look for clues that aren't there? You know what I mean, players sometimes latch on to random ideas and try to run with things that don't go anywhere.
If I recall, he is upfront about just ending a scene when a players have drained it of all clues. It people keep scouring a location that has been picked clean or keep endlessly going in circles talking to someone who had told them everything of value, just bring things to a close. You can just say, "You've found everything." or in the case of an interview, do the Law and Order thing where someone is doing someone is working while they are talking, and when they have given all clues, they need to get back to what they were doing.

Gumshoe adventures also include... I forget the official term, but Antagonist Reactions that you can spring throughout the adventure. The most basic version is the group of thugs sent out to warn the players not to stick their nose in where it isn't wanted. As your typical PC group isn't likely intimidated, the thugs can provide inadvertent clues either through their threats or clues they leave on the corpses after a fight that get the players back on the right track.

No, I only ever read the original.
Well, I'll have to go and re-read it then. I do have both, but the old version is somewhere in the attic. The core rules when we played it, didn't involve Gold Stars and Certificates - they are presented as optional rules, currently.

Either way, the Gold Stars you are talking about, still aren't the same thing as the type of trait bidding mechanic I have highlighted in MET or games like Gumshoe which are fundamental to the core rules. In reality, Gold Stars just work like the Fate Points you see in games like WFRP, albeit using GM fiat to award them based on roleplaying.

Well, I'll have to go and re-read it then. I do have both, but the old version is somewhere in the attic. The core rules when we played it, didn't involve Gold Stars and Certificates - they are presented as optional rules, currently.

Either way, the Gold Stars you are talking about, still aren't the same thing as the type of trait bidding mechanic I have highlighted in MET or games like Gumshoe which are fundamental to the core rules. In reality, Gold Stars just work like the Fate Points you see in games like WFRP, albeit using GM fiat to award them based on roleplaying.

just got home and dug out my copy. Page 67. All Gold stars do though is allow the player to add an extra coin to a roll once per game, so I'm completely mis-remembering about the rerolls. Probably confused PV with the Dying Earth RPG in my head.

Got my pdf copy and digging into it I think Gumshoe is the right fit for M.R. James style play. It is also clear the designer really knows James and the genre and has put a lot of thought into it.

Got my pdf copy and digging into it I think Gumshoe is the right fit for M.R. James style play. It is also clear the designer really knows James and the genre and has put a lot of thought into it.
I probably won't get around to reading it until I get my physical copy, but I'm glad to hear it gets things right.

Is the title font supposed to look like that?

I just have a hard time reading it.
I think it's just the angle of the book and the light on the cover, rather than anything do with the font (which is IM Fell, and perfectly readable).

Well I received mine recently and I'm digging it. Definitely written by people who are passionate and knowledgeable about the source material. I was especially happy to see Mr. Carnacki involved as I've always wanted to run a game inspired by Hodgson's writings. I'm still not sure if I'd actually run Gumshoe with my group, but regardless the book is a fantastic resource for Jamesian gamery and information on the Edwardian Era. The art is great too! The image below isn't actually from the book, just something I found when looking up Carnacki stuff.
carnacki universe2.jpg

A Mythras treatment of the subject matter is something we're discussing and contemplating

Intriguing. I suppose that should include really simplified combat rules for non combat oriented games. Lighter than Imperative and maybe lighter than M-Space (or just a different take). A Mythras Lite?

That would be atrocious for RPG forums though. Because with this addition Mythras would effectively cover all the bases. :hehe:

Last edited:
I am totally puzzled at the hate for Gumshoe, anyone care to explain? Not trying to start a fight here- I thought Gumshoe was a massive improvement over Call of Cthulhu/Mythras and I'm genuinely interested in hearing arguments to the contrary. I own a massive amount of CoC material so trust me, I have an open mind about this and want to be convinced it's a good system.
Late to the party, but I'd like to say that I actually kinda like some traits of Gumshoe... but at the end it's just not the kind of game I'm looking for. It's the difference between "I can live with Gumshoe" vs "I like Mythras, tell me more":thumbsup:!

I am totally puzzled at the hate for Gumshoe, anyone care to explain? Not trying to start a fight here- I thought Gumshoe was a massive improvement over Call of Cthulhu/Mythras and I'm genuinely interested in hearing arguments to the contrary. I own a massive amount of CoC material so trust me, I have an open mind about this and want to be convinced it's a good system.
Yeah, definitely meta. It's not a game that would work for you.
That pretty much sums it up for me. Why fix a classic game? To end “Investigative Deadends”?

I never had any “Investigation Deadends” with CoC/DG because I don’t construct them and if I see them in a published module I fix them. They could just as easily have put out CoC adventures and have the first line be Go Read This!. Of course that essay is a perfect explanation of why Gumshoe‘s rules don’t really let you ROLEPLAY an investigation, so they were probably not interested.

So I don’t buy the raison d’etre of the system. It’s not needed to solve any investigation problem. What it is needed for is if you want to take the RPG CoC and turn it into a Narrative Genre RPG by adding a system of meta currencies.

Saying it’s an improvement over CoC is like saying a Camaro is an improvement over a Land Rover...

Category Error

Now, having said all that, I have a ton of Trail of Cthulhu products. Why? They are good, and I don’t need the Gumshoe rules to make use of them.

I have Fall of Delta Green. It’s Delta Green and written by Ken Hite. The rules could be Trollbabe for all I care.

As for this, it’s interesting, because I encountered James‘ writings in relation to his medieval scholarship, and later found out about him writing ghost stories once I started getting into the non-fictional essays and correspondence of Lovecraft and CAS. However, I’ve never read a James story. Still I will end up getting this because...

1. I like to support TDM
2. I’d like to see information about the “James Mythos”
3. Edwardian info is interesting.

Intriguing. I suppose that should include really simplified combat rules for non combat oriented games. Lighter than Imperative and maybe lighter than M-Space (or just a different take). A Mythras Lite?

That would be atrocious for RPG forums though. Because with this addition Mythras would effectively cover all the bases. :hehe:
Just curious. You are aware that just because a system has a detailed combat system, the sessions don’t have to be about, or even include combat, right? :grin: Yeah, I’m half joking, but only half. Are you really looking for that extreme of a literary replication? Sounds like if no James story included a Webley revolver, a game would have to have an equipment list without one (or have no lists at all if no one ever bought anything) to be suitable.

I suppose that should include really simplified combat rules for non combat oriented games. Lighter than Imperative and maybe lighter than M-Space (or just a different take). A Mythras Lite?

hmm. What identifies that over anything else d100? Perhaps use of skills instead of characteristic x5? Special effects seems like something that would need to be removed for simplified combat, but maybe not. Hit locations for sure (but then Soltakss would argue it is not d100j.

Casting the Runes, Investigative Roleplaying in the World of M. R. James, is the latest release from The Design Mechanism. Using the acclaimed Gumshoe Engine (designed by Robin D. Laws), players take on the roles of Edwardian investigators involving themselves in the supernatural, uncanny, and sinister workings of the occult. From ancient demons to haunted artefacts; biblical monsters to ghosts and vampires; secret societies to lone sorcerers dabbling in the damned; Casting the Runes contains everything you need to recreate the tales of M. R. James and his contemporaries such as Arthur Machen, William Hope Hodgson, Algernon Blackwood and many others. The Edwardian Era is brought to vivid life in the pages of the game, and extensive background information shows how society, class, and economics worked in the period directly before The Great War. Using the Gumshoe system to create and manage clues is given copious attention, and the game includes two introductory scenarios to begin your investigations of the macabre.

The book is 200 pages, black and white, hardcover, and available from The Design Mechanism webstore and DrivethruRPG. The editions available from us directly are full offset; DrivethruRPG provides Print on Demand.

TDM Product Page: http://thedesignmechanism.com/Casting-the-Runes.php
TDM Store: Standard Edition ($37.99, includes free PDF): http://thedesignmechanism.com/store...tandard-Edition/p/279849054/category=72966012
Deluxe Edition ($67.99, includes free PDF): http://thedesignmechanism.com/store...-Deluxe-Edition/p/279865048/category=72966012
PDF Only ($17.99): http://thedesignmechanism.com/store.php#!/Casting-the-Runes-PDF/p/282416724/category=72966012
DrivethruRPG (Print on Demand: $34.99, includes free PDF): https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/334163

That pretty much sums it up for me. Why fix a classic game? To end “Investigative Deadends”?

I never had any “Investigation Deadends” with CoC/DG because I don’t construct them and if I see them in a published module I fix them. They could just as easily have put out CoC adventures and have the first line be Go Read This!. Of course that essay is a perfect explanation of why Gumshoe‘s rules don’t really let you ROLEPLAY an investigation, so they were probably not interested.

So I don’t buy the raison d’etre of the system. It’s not needed to solve any investigation problem. What it is needed for is if you want to take the RPG CoC and turn it into a Narrative Genre RPG by adding a system of meta currencies.

Saying it’s an improvement over CoC is like saying a Camaro is an improvement over a Land Rover...

Category Error
I'd say that the raison d'etre is related to what you are saying but slightly different. The main purpose behind GUMSHOE is to do away with rolling for clues on the assumption that the players analyzing and reacting to the clues is more interesting than random rolls to see if they find them. The motivation is similar to the pushback against perception checks in the OSR scene, although the way of going about it is quite different.

In any case, I've never understood the idea that a new game has to somehow justify itself because an earlier game exists. GUMSHOE has been around for almost 15 years now. It would be nice to have one thread about a GUMSHOE game that was actually about the game itself.

I'd say that the raison d'etre is related to what you are saying but slightly different. The main purpose behind GUMSHOE is to do away with rolling for clues on the assumption that the players analyzing and reacting to the clues is more interesting than random rolls to see if they find them. The motivation is similar to the pushback against perception checks in the OSR scene, although the way of going about it is quite different.

In any case, I've never understood the idea that a new game has to somehow justify itself because an earlier game exists. GUMSHOE has been around for almost 15 years now. It would be nice to have one thread about a GUMSHOE game that was actually about the game itself.

Gumshoe requires the GM to structure things differently and think through things differently. As clues are automatic, it becomes about how the clue is positioned, uncovered, how it's uncovered, and to the depth it's uncovered. When using non-investigative abilities (such as sneaking around, fighting and so on), you still have a random outcome modified by your skill rating, so you still have a traditional approach worked into the system. I also find that Gumshoe helps players who don't necessarily have a highly analytical or problem-solving mind or approach. Some players will easily deduce and work things out regardless of whether there's a skill roll involved, but other players just aren't wired that way. Gumshoe helps them by taking out the need to think around corners. Like any system, it's not for everyone, and many GMs are quite comfortable using traditional investigative resolution approaches.

I'm currently preparing to run Beyond the Mountains of Madness with Casting the Runes, and already I'm thinking about how I need to present information to the characters as it arises. I've run the campaign before using Mythras, and I know that my approach, and the way the campaign unfolds, is going to be very different. I'm looking forward to it.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back