Casting the Runes: Occult Investigation in the World of M.R. James

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Casting the Runes, Investigative Roleplaying in the World of M. R. James, is the latest release from The Design Mechanism. Using the acclaimed Gumshoe Engine (designed by Robin D. Laws), players take on the roles of Edwardian investigators involving themselves in the supernatural, uncanny, and sinister workings of the occult. From ancient demons to haunted artefacts; biblical monsters to ghosts and vampires; secret societies to lone sorcerers dabbling in the damned; Casting the Runes contains everything you need to recreate the tales of M. R. James and his contemporaries such as Arthur Machen, William Hope Hodgson, Algernon Blackwood and many others. The Edwardian Era is brought to vivid life in the pages of the game, and extensive background information shows how society, class, and economics worked in the period directly before The Great War. Using the Gumshoe system to create and manage clues is given copious attention, and the game includes two introductory scenarios to begin your investigations of the macabre.

The book is 200 pages, black and white, hardcover, and available from The Design Mechanism webstore and DrivethruRPG. The editions available from us directly are full offset; DrivethruRPG provides Print on Demand.

TDM Product Page: http://thedesignmechanism.com/Casting-the-Runes.php
TDM Store: Standard Edition ($37.99, includes free PDF): http://thedesignmechanism.com/store...tandard-Edition/p/279849054/category=72966012
Deluxe Edition ($67.99, includes free PDF): http://thedesignmechanism.com/store...-Deluxe-Edition/p/279865048/category=72966012
PDF Only ($17.99): http://thedesignmechanism.com/store.php#!/Casting-the-Runes-PDF/p/282416724/category=72966012
DrivethruRPG (Print on Demand: $34.99, includes free PDF): https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/334163
Is the physical stuff from TDM shipping again? There’s some stuff I‘ve been waiting to get until your shipping problems were done.

I'd say that the raison d'etre is related to what you are saying but slightly different. The main purpose behind GUMSHOE is to do away with rolling for clues on the assumption that the players analyzing and reacting to the clues is more interesting than random rolls to see if they find them. The motivation is similar to the pushback against perception checks in the OSR scene, although the way of going about it is quite different.

In any case, I've never understood the idea that a new game has to somehow justify itself because an earlier game exists. GUMSHOE has been around for almost 15 years now. It would be nice to have one thread about a GUMSHOE game that was actually about the game itself.
1. I was specifically answering a request for explanation, I can’t help that you don’t like the explanation.
2. The raison d’etre question was brought up first by the author. When you lead with, “We love Call of Cthulhu, but...” you‘ve just made the “but...” a part of your game discussion. You don’t like the eternal comparison, blame Pelgrane Press or Robin Laws, not me.

Gumshoe requires the GM to structure things differently and think through things differently. As clues are automatic, it becomes about how the clue is positioned, uncovered, how it's uncovered, and to the depth it's uncovered. When using non-investigative abilities (such as sneaking around, fighting and so on), you still have a random outcome modified by your skill rating, so you still have a traditional approach worked into the system. I also find that Gumshoe helps players who don't necessarily have a highly analytical or problem-solving mind or approach. Some players will easily deduce and work things out regardless of whether there's a skill roll involved, but other players just aren't wired that way. Gumshoe helps them by taking out the need to think around corners. Like any system, it's not for everyone, and many GMs are quite comfortable using traditional investigative resolution approaches.

I'm currently preparing to run Beyond the Mountains of Madness with Casting the Runes, and already I'm thinking about how I need to present information to the characters as it arises. I've run the campaign before using Mythras, and I know that my approach, and the way the campaign unfolds, is going to be very different. I'm looking forward to it.

Now that's a game i'd play in. How long did it take you to run BtMoM? Can you regale us with what you've found to be the major differences between prepping it for d100 vs Gumshoe? I own BtMoM but, alas, will probably never run it.

Now that's a game i'd play in. How long did it take you to run BtMoM? Can you regale us with what you've found to be the major differences between prepping it for d100 vs Gumshoe? I own BtMoM but, alas, will probably never run it.

I ran it over the course of a week at a week-long sojourn in northern Sweden last year. It was late February, and the snow and negative temperatures helped convey the antarctic feel. :smile:

The characters didn't finish the scenario; certain events unfolded that had them getting the Hell Outa Dodge, so I now have an opportunity to see how things might be changed. I'll certainly be doing things differently - not least in how I portray one of the major NPCs who may have made a little too dislikable. But it'as certainly a fun campaign, and I'm looking forward to getting back to it. Pelgrane have some Gumshoe conversion notes that help with how to position major clues, and that little pack is going to be really helpful.

Just curious. You are aware that just because a system has a detailed combat system, the sessions don’t have to be about, or even include combat, right? :grin:

I'm fully aware of it. Just because you can light a cigarette with a blowtorch doesn't mean it's the ideal tool for the job.

Last edited:
I'm fully aware of it. Just because you can light a cigarette with a blowtorch doesn't mean it's the ideal tool for the job.
So...what’s the right tool for the job, exactly? If James’ stories never included any combat, then there shouldn’t be a combat system, period, right?

But it would be able to do the job so much faster! No burning it to attrition, like with a lighter. Swoosh, and it's burning:grin:!

So...what’s the right tool for the job, exactly? If James’ stories never included any combat, then there shouldn’t be a combat system, period, right?
I'd actually say that there should be, given the inclinations of RPG players:shade:. And it's not a given it should be lightweight (it's logical, but not necessary). There's a difference between having an event happen rarely, and having to gloss it over, after all!

If James’ stories never included any combat, then there shouldn’t be a combat system, period, right?

Maybe, but that's another debate. In any case, there's violence and conflict in M. R. James stories. And players may want to be proactive (but hopefully subtle) in some cases. It's for these rare occasions that they should have the most appropriate tool at their disposal.

So...what’s the right tool for the job, exactly?

In my opinion, an effective and fast system that fades into the background without drawing attention. Because, as you said, combat is not key in M. R. James original stories.

Last edited:
Maybe, but that's another debate. In any case, there's violence and conflict in M. R. James stories. And players may want to be proactive (but hopefully subtle) in some cases. It's for these rare occasions that they should have the most appropriate tool at their disposal.

In my opinion, an effective and fast system that fades into the background without drawing attention. Because, as you said, combat is not key in M. R. James original stories.
Problem is, "proactive but subtle" and "fading into the background without drawing attention" are at odds here, IME:thumbsup:.
Honestly, I don't remember any violence from M.R. James stories...I haven't read them all and none recently.
But I know that the less tools at your disposal, the harder it is to make "subtle" a viable option. Case in point: not drawing attention would be something like OD&D, ORE or Unknown Armies - and yes, Gumshoe: you bash the other guy until he can't go on.
Quick on the table, fades into background...but ain't subtle, and should have repercussions down the line which are going to attract more attention to it, not less.
OTOH, let's compare with Mythras basic combat: with a very good roll I can take an enemy down, blind him and Compel Surrender. Not even any lasting damage, people! IC, I just shifted my defense into a slap across the eyes into a Facehugger Takedown*, pressed him with a knee, and offered him that we stop there. He is, at this point, starting to see the merits of a more pacifist approach...
Done, fades into the background, and allows you to be subtle.

*Actual name I've encountered, but can't find a link. It would be called something else in the setting, anyway, but it would exist. But good luck getting most GMs to adjudicate attempting it if all they've got is a system that has as a default and only option "bash him until he's out":grin:!

I think the violence in M.R. James’ stories was more implied rather than overt, but it was there. I guess that is the approach the game design should take as well.

Also, people should definitely go and rewatch the classic Curse of the Demon (or Night of the Demon, depending on which side of the Atlantic it was released). It was an adaptation of Casting the Runes and is still widely regarded as one of the best horror movies of all time.

If you want something more modern, then I think Sam Raimi’s Drag Me to Hell is actually a pretty similar tale too.

I think the violence in M.R. James’ stories was more implied rather than overt, but it was there. I guess that is the approach the game design should take as well.

Also, people should definitely go and rewatch the classic Curse of the Demon (or Night of the Demon, depending on which side of the Atlantic it was released). It was an adaptation of Casting the Runes and is still widely regarded as one of the best horror movies of all time.

In my ever-hungry attempt to bankrupt myself, this arrived a day or two ago. Looking forward to watching it!

20210116_192458.jpg

Left to your imagination... which is just about always much scarier.
Yeah, I know. It seems the studio didn't, or just wanted to give the monster-makers some business:thumbsup:.

Yeah, I know. It seems the studio didn't, or just wanted to give the monster-makers some business:thumbsup:.
Sure, the suddenness of the monster's appearance is quite blunt. However, the creature really matches the demon illustrated in the woodcutting. I now rationalize the monster as something people under the curse's influence thought they saw - whether or not it was actually there is open to speculation given the mundane explanations easily reached for what happens to the victims.

Anyway, it's probably my favorite horror movie and features a great, great performance by the villain. The DVD is the way to go - you get the extra character development of the original British version along with the crisp American release.

.. and on the original topic... I had to bail on the Kickstarter, but just ordered the book directly from Design Mechanism. It may be a while before we get to play it, but I don't mind just having it to read as a celebration of M.R. James in the meantime.

.. and on the original topic... I had to bail on the Kickstarter, but just ordered the book directly from Design Mechanism. It may be a while before we get to play it, but I don't mind just having it to read as a celebration of M.R. James in the meantime.

The book is a good read and inspiring stuff, regardless of how you plan to use it.

The classic BBC adaptation of one of James' best stories 'Whistle, and I'll Come to You,' is available to watch here.

I quite liked this one, much better than the re-make of this one they did in the early 2000s. I also enjoyed the 1979 ITV playhouse adaptation of Casting the Runes. Does anyone know of any other Jamesian film adaptations or inspirations?

I doubt I'll buy the Rpg... but could anyone recommend any stories, or story collections of M. R. James?

I've no familiarity with the author. But, I've never really gone out of my way to read ghost story fiction.

A quick Google search also led me to Gutenberg Canada. Not as nice as a physical book, but enough to give me a taste of the author before I decide if I want to buy or not.

I doubt I'll buy the Rpg... but could anyone recommend any stories, or story collections of M. R. James?

I've no familiarity with the author. But, I've never really gone out of my way to read ghost story fiction.

Penguin has two good selected story editions edited by S.T. Joshi. I have the first, Count Magus and it has all his best known stories.

255374.jpg
image.jpg

Another good option would be this collection of readings and dramatizations from the BBC. I've heard the Derek Jacobi one and it is excellent.

Got my Collector's Edition of Casting the Runes. Checking it out now.

Reactions: Loz
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back