Castle Falkenstein - possibly

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Ghost Whistler

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
I'm kinda tempted to try this PbP. However I'm completely unfamiliar with running PbP. I'm sure it's not difficult, but I don't know how often people would want to post. Plus the system uses playing cards not dice, although I don't foresee that being an issue. Might take some time to get up and running due to a) I haven't written anything and b) I'm busy writing all sorts of other stuff and c) I'm sure I'll think of something.

Fair warning: CF is a fantasy setting as written. That is, the default setting includes Faerie Folk (seelie/unseelie), Dwarves, Dragons and magic. However I have always downplayed most of that. Dragons and magic are fine. The Fae, not really. No dwarves, elves, or gnomes either.

I liked the Fae in Castle Falkenstein, myself, particularly the Wild Hunt which could provide all kinds of drama in a game. The rest of the Fae seemed to have some inspiration from dark fairy tales too. I wasn’t a fan of the Tolkienesque Dwarves, however, which seemed out of kilter.

I don't hate it, I just don't really want to use it. I know they are part of the default backstory

I guess if that factor is putting people off I could be persuaded.

No dwarves though. Buggers :grin:

A few months ago, I bought Castle Falkenstein, bundle and physical book. I have perhaps never read a better rulebook. But I dare ask, how would you handle the playing cards aspect?

So yes, Im in!

A few months ago, I bought Castle Falkenstein, bundle and physical book. I have perhaps never read a better rulebook. But I dare ask, how would you handle the playing cards aspect?

So yes, Im in!
I'd use it. With the extra rules from Comme Il Faut

I noticed the date after I posted but still in, if it’s still on.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back