Cepheus Engine, AsenRG Edition

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Is there any point in me doing this?

• Total voters

AsenRG

#FuckWotC #PlayNonDnDGames
Reaction score
Inspired by the Traveller discussion, I'm making my own ruleset for Cepheus.
Why? Well, why not...maybe there's no point, feel free to vote.

Changes from standard Cepheus (in no particular order):
1) No dice modifiers for tasks (outside of combat, where it's by weapon). Still not sure about that one.
2) Simultaneous initiative.
3) Standard TN* is 7, and skills remove (or add, on opposed rolls) a level of difficulty, until you get to Easy (which is 4, since the difficulty step is 3). Further skill points are added to your roll on a 1-to-1 basis.
4) (Close) Weapons give you attack and defense bonuses on top of damage. Damage never goes above 4d+3 (except by adding Effect on top of this), but more dangerous weapons have stats like "roll 6d, keep the best 3".
5) Extremely good hits (Effect 3+) give you an advantage pool of 1/3 points of Effect. After rolling, you can also use a point to negate 3 points of armour, add it to your attack roll, or subtract it from the opponent's attack roll (not sure if this should count "as a point of skill"). Alternately, you could choose to exchange 3 points for an additional effect, which can be whatever you can imagine and describe, subject to Referee veto. However, you lose 1 point of Advantage on every round past the next (until you get 0 points).
6) Chargen tables use a format of "Skill or Skill or Skill", allowing more flexibility in chargen. Or just "skill groups".
7) Event tables grant you the skill bonus regardless of success, but success gives you other social bonuses.
8) Missile weapons don't give you bonuses to defense, but might give a bonus to attack, depending on range and whether someone is lying low.
9) You can "hunt for advantage" against a specific opponent. This means stuff like getting in-close** with an opponent and, for example, binding his blade with yours. It doesn't give you a bonus, but you get Effect/2 as advantage, minimum 1, on a success.
10 One of the possible effects of spending Advantage is exactly "resolving your move before a move that happens at the same time" (and I'm thinking of adding an option that for 2-3 Control/Advantage you could pull it off before a move that should happen later, like shooting someone before he could stab you).

*I've also been debating saying "screw that" and using a dicepool system instead...:grin:
**I'm thinking that suppressive fire should be working in the same way, but I'd like the opinion of someone who's been in some kind of armed or police forces, here...I ain't got that kind of training, sorry. But at least I'm smart enough to know that I should ask!

Last edited:
I did a Traveller hack some years ago. More one of my thought experiements. I got rid of most of the little universal codes.

I really never looked into Cephus.

By “simultaneous initiative” do you mean the CT rule? If so, one can probably save space by cutting the combat rules!

Go for it! Don't think I'd use it myself, as my Traveller urges would either go into the more lightweight-but-consistent end of the spectrum or, well, TNE.
(I do have some notes about a 3d6 Traveller variant, though, as that was one the ways I've pondered of getting a legal game in the GURPS spectrum)

Go for it! Don't think I'd use it myself, as my Traveller urges would either go into the more lightweight-but-consistent end of the spectrum or, well, TNE.
(I do have some notes about a 3d6 Traveller variant, though, as that was one the ways I've pondered of getting a legal game in the GURPS spectrum)
Yeah, I just like 2d6...amusingly, that's probably nothing but nostalgia. I've been playing backgammon and its variants, all of which use 2d6, long before I first saw an RPG, or even a gamebook:grin:!
I did a Traveller hack some years ago. More one of my thought experiements. I got rid of most of the little universal codes.
Admittedly, I'm not using most of them either...though I might retain them.

I really never looked into Cephus.
You should. It's basically MgT1e anyway.

By “simultaneous initiative” do you mean the CT rule?
Well, not quite, but "strongly inspired by". The one I have in mind has basically people acting simultaneously on similar actions (attack vs attack, shooting vs shooting), but some actions automatically happen before others (I think the order is attack without moving, shooting, attack with movement, or maybe that's how I've houseruled it).

I've been considering making them opposed rolls as well, kinda like in Advanced Fighting Fantasy...but with my Advantage system, it would get disturbingly close to Zenobia/43AD by Paul Eliott/Zozer Games.

If so, one can probably save space by cutting the combat rules!
Not sure I get what you mean here?

Yeah, I just like 2d6...amusingly, that's probably nothing but nostalgia. I've been playing backgammon and its variants, all of which use 2d6, long before I first saw an RPG, or even a gamebook:grin:!

Admittedly, I'm not using most of them either...though I might retain them.

You should. It's basically MgT1e anyway.

Well, not quite, but "strongly inspired by". The one I have in mind has basically people acting simultaneously on similar actions (attack vs attack, shooting vs shooting), but some actions automatically happen before others (I think the order is attack without moving, shooting, attack with movement, or maybe that's how I've houseruled it).

I've been considering making them opposed rolls as well, kinda like in Advanced Fighting Fantasy...but with my Advantage system, it would get disturbingly close to Zenobia/43AD by Paul Eliott/Zozer Games.

Not sure I get what you mean here?
IIRC the CT rules mean that even if the PCs wipe out the opposition they still have to take the incoming fire. Getting into a firefight is too risky unless one has surprise. And in that case the Referee might as well award the fight to the ambushers. Firearms are also useful for mowing down low TL natives, and again one does not need combat rules to resolve the massacre.

IIRC the CT rules mean that even if the PCs wipe out the opposition they still have to take the incoming fire. Getting into a firefight is too risky unless one has surprise. And in that case the Referee might as well award the fight to the ambushers. Firearms are also useful for mowing down low TL natives, and again one does not need combat rules to resolve the massacre.
Yeah, that's not what my experience had shown. Also, hear me out:
1) Yes, firefights are risky if you're engaging in them without cover, but then I'd argue that's part for the course. If you have cover, that should be -2/-3 to the attack rolls (probably -4 if you're prone). Lots of whiffing? Sure. Engage enemies when they're out of cover and not prone:devil:!

2) See the Control/Advantage system. One of the possible effects of spending Advantage is exactly "resolving your move before a move that happens at the same time" (and I'm thinking of adding an option that for 2-3 Control/Advantage you could pull it off before a move that should happen later, like shooting someone before he could stab you).
...ooops, I just noticed I forgot to mention that one. Thanks for reminding me:shade:!

Yeah, that's not what my experience had shown. Also, hear me out:
1) Yes, firefights are risky if you're engaging in them without cover, but then I'd argue that's part for the course. If you have cover, that should be -2/-3 to the attack rolls (probably -4 if you're prone). Lots of whiffing? Sure. Engage enemies when they're out of cover and not prone:devil:!

2) See the Control/Advantage system. One of the possible effects of spending Advantage is exactly "resolving your move before a move that happens at the same time" (and I'm thinking of adding an option that for 2-3 Control/Advantage you could pull it off before a move that should happen later, like shooting someone before he could stab you).
...ooops, I just noticed I forgot to mention that one. Thanks for reminding me:shade:!
Sounds like there will be plenty of innovation in your system based on extensive table experience. Go for it!

Sounds like there will be plenty of innovation in your system based on extensive table experience. Go for it!
More like "changes to make the system work better for what I want it to do", but yeah, that's the idea. I mean, I do want both double kills and avoiding them to be possible...
And I promise to stick a quote from Silver's Paradoxes of the Defense in a sidebar next to the initiative system:angel:.

Reactions: SJB
This is interesting. The Cepheus Engine ranks high on the list of things I like.
It is high on my list as well:grin:!
I wonder if there should be a thread for 'I made a hacked version of Traveller. Shall we compare notes?'
It would have saved me some searching, so I approve:thumbsup:.

Also, 11) I need to think of a way to make the wound system based on damage saves.

Given your bullet points, I am not seeing much gain. I mean as a thought exercise, okay. Just not sure if it is much better.

No, and you suk!

But also, I've got a couple of versions that I've read and never run. I'd be interested in subscribing to your newsletter.

Given your bullet points, I am not seeing much gain. I mean as a thought exercise, okay. Just not sure if it is much better.
You mean about the damage save? I'm not sure if it would result in much gain, either. But I like damage saves with conditions, and hey, if you don't try it, you'd never know...:tongue:

No, and you suk!
I know, but I'm good at it:grin:!
But also, I've got a couple of versions that I've read and never run. I'd be interested in subscribing to your newsletter.
Sure, this thread is fine:thumbsup:!

Also, I'm still considering whether to split the (close) combat system in two, temporary names being "duelling", and "brutal murder from up close". Maybe I should, nobody else is doing that:shade:!

I'm all for it. Sounds like a tweaked CT, but I'm not familiar with Cepheus. If you want feedback on specific tweaks just say so.

On combat, always thought Traveller got a bad wrap just because it was not like D&D. Combat in Traveller far more lethal and taking hits to attributes, ouch. Really changes the focus of the RPG, for the better in my view as it made us think and not just run into range and swing.

I share your love for d6, always had hard time getting 2d6 (or 3d6 for that matter) added together to work way I wanted though (it's the modifier thing) over an extended period of time.

Have you played it with these? Most of them look good, or at least interesting. 2 is one of my favorite things about classic, just having everyone tell you what they are doing, and sort damage at the end of the round; makes it a bit chaotic, but it's good chaos.

1) No dice modifiers for tasks (outside of combat, where it's by weapon). Still not sure about that one.
3) Standard TN* is 7, and skills remove (or add, on opposed rolls) a level of difficulty, until you get to Easy (which is 4, since the difficulty step is 3). Further skill points are added to your roll on a 1-to-1 basis.
4) (Close) Weapons give you attack and defense bonuses on top of damage. Damage never goes above 4d+3 (except by adding Effect on top of this), but more dangerous weapons have stats like "roll 6d, keep the best 3".
5) Extremely good hits (Effect 3+) give you an advantage pool of 1/3 points of Effect. After rolling, you can also use a point to negate 3 points of armour, add it to your attack roll, or subtract it from the opponent's attack roll (not sure if this should count "as a point of skill"). Alternately, you could choose to exchange 3 points for an additional effect, which can be whatever you can imagine and describe, subject to Referee veto. However, you lose 1 point of Advantage on every round past the next (until you get 0 points).
6) Chargen tables use a format of "Skill or Skill or Skill", allowing more flexibility in chargen. Or just "skill groups".
7) Event tables grant you the skill bonus regardless of success, but success gives you other social bonuses.
8) Missile weapons don't give you bonuses to defense, but might give a bonus to attack, depending on range and whether someone is lying low.
9) You can "hunt for advantage" against a specific opponent. This means stuff like getting in-close** with an opponent and, for example, binding his blade with yours. It doesn't give you a bonus, but you get Effect/2 as advantage, minimum 1, on a success.
10 One of the possible effects of spending Advantage is exactly "resolving your move before a move that happens at the same time" (and I'm thinking of adding an option that for 2-3 Control/Advantage you could pull it off before a move that should happen later, like shooting someone before he could stab you).

*I've also been debating saying "screw that" and using a dicepool system instead...:grin:
**I'm thinking that suppressive fire should be working in the same way, but I'd like the opinion of someone who's been in some kind of armed or police forces, here...I ain't got that kind of training, sorry. But at least I'm smart enough to know that I should ask!
Cepheus is beautiful thing, greatly hackable, sort of fitting as mongoose started as the same anyways, Classic with bits of other versions, mixed with new stuff. After playing for years, '12 onwards, players convinced me to actually publish my own setting, Solis People of the Sun; I've played it with MgT1e, CT, and M-Space also.

There's a long tradition of hacking the Traveller system so I don't see why not. As to whether anybody will use it, that's a different question.

Let me know when you get this done. I want to read it and see if its usable for my fencing Seelie/Unseeli in space setting :grin:

I just realized why all of it feels...lacking.
Because to do use one of those options, you basically still have to do the same check as attacking. And attacking is almost always more useful.
Also, it's lacking the feeling that you're either attacking, taking a different route, or being countered.
...back to the drawing board, I guess. Though it's just a piece of paper with probabilities.

I need to find out how to do tables on a forum. If all else fails, I'd just take a picture of what I came up with, I guess... :shade:

So, the crux of my sudden enlightenment was that I am trying to kill a sacred cow without dispatching the other ones. And that's not gonna work, sacred cows band together to watch each other's backs, like the herd animals they are.
As a result, I was getting an unwieldy process that was going to feel like lots of whiffing. I don't know that I have escaped that, but at least it feels less arbitrary now.
Which sacred cow did I need to slay, too? "You can only act once per round, multi-action characters are bad".

Now, instead, I am separating the round in two parts, and splitting the Melee skill in three: Fight, Attack, Defend. As a bonus, however, when you're getting Melee, you get 3 points to spread...:smile:
(Here, Fight is what happens before and after the attacks themselves, i.e. the Jostling For Advantage part - regardless of how it looks like in-setting).

Or maybe I should do away with the skill spread by weapons that is present in Cepheus. Or maybe make weapon specialties in those three skills. But if I go for the third one, I'd need to split the other skills as well...and that's a rabbit hole I'm not willing to go down into. Not today, at any rate:wink:.

So, here's the structure of the round: first, you roll your Fight skill in an opposed roll (that's important for stuff like Mongoose/Cepheus, because that's the only way to get your attribute modifiers to matter when you're not initiating the roll).
Then you consult this table. Please note that it determines number of attacks and modifiers.
Also note, attacks afterwards use the standard Cepheus resolution.

Now, I must add a caveat: what happens if one of the opponents doesn't want to bother with this and just "keeps his distance and strikes", or rushes in with constant attacks, or the like? That's cool: he gets to roll on the table to oppose his enemy's attempts, and actually gets a +1 bonus...but he can't get a better result than +1.
Yes, if both decide to do exactly that, they can basically skip the roll. Since nobody can get a better result than a +1, they're both basically going to get the "-1 to +1" row anyway...because regardless of who wins and by how much, they're bumped back to it. (GMs can also use that among NPCs if they decide, for some reason, to use the rules to resolve their fight).
Please note: an opponent that doesn't do that, might very well get a better result and then it's going to apply.

Result/OpponentPCOpponent
+11 or more4 attacks at +2*No attack allowed this round.
+8 to +102 attacks at +2, 1 attack at +1*
1 attack at -3
+5 to +72 attacks at +1*1 attack at -2
+2 to +41 attack at +1, 1 attack at -1* 1 attack at -1
1 to -11 attack1 attack
-2 to -41 attack at -11 attack at +1, 1 attack at -1*
-5 to -71 attack at -22 attacks at +1
-8 to -101 attack at -32 attacks at +2, 1 attack at +1
-11 or worseNo attack allowed this round.4 attacks at +2*

*You can skip the last attack to add +1 to the damage of the first attack, but must decide before you roll for the first attack.

A picture means you are only having to build it once.
But it makes it harder to correct entries, too.

You can cut and paste a table into the forum:

dumbtableI
builtForexample
ingoogledocs
Thanks, that's actually what I did. I just had to crunch some numbers once more.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back