Cepheus Engine: Is it based on MGT1 or MGT2?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Korgoth

of Barbaria
Reaction score
I'm curious to know if the Cepheus Engine RPG (Old School Traveller clone) is based off of the Mongoose Traveller 1E rules, or the Mongoose Traveller 2E rules, or a combination of both?

Also for those who own Cepheus Engine, what do you think of it? Does it play better than MGT1/2? Better than the original Traveller? What are it's warts and what are it's beauty spots in your opinion?

EDIT#1
Has Cepheus incorporated anything from the MGT2 rule since it was released.

1E, since that was the one published under the OGL, and CE came out before 2E.

As for how it plays... Ok, I guess? I like the Cepheus Engine: Lite version better, it hearkens back a bit more to the CT, and simplifies some of the things to make for faster play. YMMV.

Like Panzerkraken Panzerkraken I really enjoy Cepheus: Light, it has nice little details from Classic Traveller and quick character generation. Having skills and characteristics detached from each other is a big difference from it and Mongoose Trav.

Cepheus itself is basically a clone of MGT1.

While it is a clone of MgT1e, remember that the srd of MgT1e did not have any careers in it (think it had one IIRC), so it is also based on the old T20 srd as well...

While it is a clone of MgT1e, remember that the srd of MgT1e did not have any careers in it (think it had one IIRC), so it is also based on the old T20 srd as well...
So that's the T20 part I've heard people mention. Cheers!

I'm curious to know if the Cepheus Engine RPG (Old School Traveller clone) is based off of the Mongoose Traveller 1E rules, or the Mongoose Traveller 2E rules, or a combination of both?

It has nothing to do with MGT2

What is based on is Kemp's original work plus the following open content given in Section 15 of Cepheus OGL license.

• High Guard System Reference Document Copyright © 2008, Mongoose Publishing.
  • Mercenary System Reference Document Copyright © 2008, Mongoose Publishing.
  • Modern System Reference Document Copyright 2002-2004, Wizards of the Coast, Inc.; Authors Bill Slavicsek, Jeff Grubb, Rich Redman, Charles Ryan, Eric Cagle, David Noonan, Stan!, Christopher Perkins, Rodney Thompson, and JD Wiker, based on material by Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook, Skip Williams, Richard Baker, Peter Adkison, Bruce R. Cordell, John Tynes, Andy Collins, and JD Wiker.
  • Swords & Wizardry Core Rules, Copyright 2008, Matthew J. Finch
  • System Reference Document, Copyright 2000, Wizards of the Coast, Inc.; Authors Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook, Skip Williams, based on original material by E. Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson.
  • T20 - The Traveller’s Handbook Copyright 2002, Quiklink Interactive, Inc. Traveller is a trademark of Far Future Enterprises and is used under license.
  • Traveller System Reference Document Copyright © 2008, Mongoose Publishing. Traveller is © 2008 Mongoose Publishing. Traveller and related logos, character, names, and distinctive likenesses thereof are trademarks of Far Future Enterprises unless otherwise noted. All Rights Reserved. Mongoose Publishing Ltd Authorized.

Also for those who own Cepheus Engine, what do you think of it? Does it play better than MGT1/2? Better than the original Traveller? What are it's warts and what are it's beauty spots in your opinion?

It pretty much Mongoose Traveller 1st edition. Both Cepheus and MgT 1E play like like a modernized Classic Traveller. Basically taking the same path that Digest Group did with their house rules and later MegaTraveller but with out all the errata and with less complexity.

Has Cepheus incorporated anything from the MGT2 rule since it was released.

No. But then again MgT 2e is also plays like a cleaned up and modernized version of classic Traveller. So we are talking about differences akin to the ones between AD&D 1st, BECMI, AD&D 2e. All three are the same game but differ in various subsystem, and what they put in their various lists of stuff (classes, magic items, monsters, etc).

It's based on MGT1 not MGT2, but the differences are slight anyway.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back