(Challenge!) Vote for your favourite RPGs!

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Status
Not open for further replies.
LEst anyone thinks the extra votes dont count, I'm tallying the scores and then multiplying by the number of votes for every game.

LEst anyone thinks the extra votes dont count, I'm tallying the scores and then multiplying by the number of votes for every game.

I'd be curious to see how much difference the runners-up make in the final rankings. I don't know what you're using (probably Excel or something like that), but if it's easy, I'd like to see both breakdowns.

I'd be curious to see how much difference the runners-up make in the final rankings. I don't know what you're using (probably Excel or something like that), but if it's easy, I'd like to see both breakdowns.

lol, a notepad and a word document, I'm afraid :tongue:

Here's the top contenders as of tonight:

1. Call of Cthulhu 222 (12)
  2. Mythras/RQ 6e 156 (8)
  3. MSH (FASERIP) 123 (8)
  4. Traveller 123 (8)
  5. WEG Star Wars 105 (8)
  6. D&D 5th 97 (6)
  7. Pendragon 84 (6)
  8. Ghostbusters 54 (6)
  9. WFRP (1e) 84 (5)
  10. Stormbringer 79 (5)
  11. DC Heroes 69 (5)
  12. BRP 59 (5)
  13. Savage Worlds 54 (5)
  14. Over the Edge 51 (5)
  15. Unknown Armies 21 (5)
  16. AD&D 72 (4)
  17. Dungeon Crawl Classics 66 (4)
  18. Fate 66 (4)
  19. Basic D&D 57 (4)
  20. Apocalypse World 45 (4)
  21. Genesys 45 (4)
  22. oWoD 40 (4)
  23. Doctor Who: Adventures in Time & Space 36 (4)
  24. Paranoia 36 (4)
  25. Rolemaster/MERP 33 (4)
  26. Toon 27 (4)
  27. GURPs 21 (4)
  28. Ars Magica 18 (4)
  29. Palladium 18 (4)
  30. Delta Green 57 (3)

Last edited:
Tristram, I don't know if it will help considering all the honorary votes, but this is what Major League Baseball uses as a scoring system to determine the MVP award winners every year.

Rank Points
1st 14
2nd 9
3rd 8
4th 7
5th 6
6th 5
7th 4
8th 3
9th 2
10th 1

Originally I went with Fibonacci, but that left no opportunity for games to "catch up" that had a lot of votes, but low pts in the rankings. I found the multiples of 3 ended up much more even, especially not making every ranking sequential, as really, how many of us are actually going "this is better than this than this...." in a row? And the missing element was comparing how many votes, which I think should count for as much as individual ranking., so a single person casting a vote for a game at 27 pts isnt actually worth as much as 3 people casting a vote for the same game at 9 pts.

But we'll have to have some tiebreaker rounds, and I'm interested to see how things change over the course of the next week.

Tristram, when you say Fate 3e, do you mean Fate Core? Those are two different editions, and I think Fate Core is the one showing up in people's lists.

Tristram, when you say Fate 3e, do you mean Fate Core? Those are two different editions, and I think Fate Core is the one showing up in people's lists.

Right now the list is only distinguishing between Fate 2nd and modern iterations of the system. If its a complete change in the system, then we can divide the votes in the next round of voting, but with most games, splitting it up will take them off the list entirely

Right now the list is only distinguishing between Fate 2nd and modern iterations of the system. If its a complete change in the system, then we can divide the votes in the next round of voting, but with most games, splitting it up will take them off the list entirely
Then I would just say Fate rather than Fate 3e, which sounds like you're limiting it to an older edition (Spirit of the Century, the original Dresden Files game, etc.).
(And for the record, Fate 3 and Fate Core are pretty different. Also, Fate Core is the most current edition, for some years now, and for which there are far more games than Fate 3.)

And for the record, Fate 3 and Fate Core are pretty different.

Different in the way AD&D 1st and 2nd edition are different, though, or in the way AD&D and D&D 4th edition are?

I've changed it to simply Fate, as that was to distinguish the modern iterations of the system to the original, but the original has only one honorable mention, so is unlikely to even make the list.

Different in the way AD&D 1st and 2nd edition are different, though, or in the way AD&D and D&D 4th edition are?
Can there be something between those two. :smile: (EDIT: I'd say at least as different as AD&D and B/X D&D.)
If you just mean "post 2e," then I think just "Fate" will do. Again, listing it as Fate 3e seems like you're limiting it to that specifically. Like listing AD&D1e when you mean both AD&D1e and AD&D2e - why not just list AD&D? So I approve of your edit. :grin:

Last edited:
Like the difference between 3rd and 5th, I would say.

Well, I have no experience with Fate core, but I'd say D&D 3rd and 5th are completely different systems. So Fate core is essentially a different game?

Well, I have no experience with Fate core, but I'd say D&D 3rd and 5th are completely different systems. So Fate core is essentially a different game?

You can easily translate anything from one version of Fate to the other, because they use essentially the same numbers and the same traits, but a lot of the systems based on those traits are different.

I snuck in an edit in my earlier post: I'd say Fate 3.0 vs. Fate Core is at least as different as AD&D and B/X D&D, and maybe even a bit more. They're fairly translatable, but a lot of the system works differently.

Out of curiosity, with so many fantasy games on your list of favorites, how do you decide which one to play?

Well, I've been gaming a long time... I started in '89. However, not everything on my list is a game I actually play, but I recognize their place in history. I have never played EPT, but I'm still enthralled with it. I'll restate my list with clarifications as such:

1. D&D White Box (I play S&W Complete for clarity)
  2. RuneQuest 2e (I ran Mongoose RQ2/Legend)
  3. Empire of the Petal Throne (one day)
  4. Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 1e (I play 3e)
  5. Chivalry & Sorcery 2e (one day)
  6. Rolemaster (played and ran a lot)
  7. MERP (see my sig, was my 2nd rpg)
  8. HârnMaster (ran a lot of 2e and 3e)
  9. Traveller (ran 1e for a bit)
  10. The One Ring (have run a fair bit)
My current roster is WHFRP 3e, S&W Complete, MERP, and TOR. MERP is a side project, only expect to run it a few times a year. I've also fit in a wee bit of Shadow of the Demon Lord. TOR is also a side project, about to run it for a friend as his daughter.

I am generally disinterested in games outside the fantasy genre, though my friend ran an amazing WoD campaign set in a Supernatural/Dresden Files crossover, and I enjoy Star Wars, both FFG and d6.

I wouldn't mind trying The One Ring sometime as a player. I don't feel like I'd want the responsibility of being a ref for that. Same with Empire of the Petal Throne.

I wouldn't mind trying The One Ring sometime as a player. I don't feel like I'd want the responsibility of being a ref for that. Same with Empire of the Petal Throne.

TOR is surprisingly easy to run. If I were to run EPT I'd run it as it was back in the day, with the PCs being barbarians disembarking in Tsolyanu, so we could all learn the setting together.

People tend to approach settings as inviolate, to be appreciated whole cloth and static. I used to think that, until I got a great piece of advice: take the setting and blow it up: a meteor hits, a war starts, whatever. Then you have a lot more freedom for both you and the players. It's also way more fun. :smile:

You can easily translate anything from one version of Fate to the other, because they use essentially the same numbers and the same traits, but a lot of the systems based on those traits are different.
I snuck in an edit in my earlier post: I'd say Fate 3.0 vs. Fate Core is at least as different as AD&D and B/X D&D, and maybe even a bit more. They're fairly translatable, but a lot of the system works differently.

Hm, okay, I guess my question is, would anyone like me to leave it as Fate as one category or specify Fate Core specifically as a nomination?

It would depend on how you're treating other games with a similar problem.

I'd say if you're counting all Shadowrun votes as Shadowrun, keep them together. If you're counting 3rd, 4th, and 5th as separate games, count them separately.

I would consider rule sets of different editions all one vote for D&D, Fate, et al.

I'm cool with just "Fate." If enough people specific Fate 2e for it to matter, that might be a separate category, but as you say, there probably won't be enough votes for that to matter.

I would consider rule sets of different editions all one vote for D&D, Fate, et al.

Some games, those differences really matter, though. TSR D&D, AD&D, and each edition of WotC D&D are all practically different games.

Same with each edition of Gamma World starting with 3rd. As I mentioned, Shadowrun is about as far as different editions can diverge and I will still consider them the same game.

It would depend on how you're treating other games with a similar problem.

I'd say if you're counting all Shadowrun votes as Shadowrun, keep them together. If you're counting 3rd, 4th, and 5th as separate games, count them separately.

I'd treat edition 1 and 2 of Shadowrun as the same game. Luckily , no one's voted for 3rd or 4th :smile:

Lets see....I've combined Cortex votes, Call of Cthulhu, and Pendragon, most retro-clones I assigned as votes to the appropriate version of D&D they are emulating, but DCC and Lamentations of the Flame Princess got enough individual votes that I separated them. Same with oWoD and Vampire: the Masquerade and Mage: The Ascension. Rifts got its own category, but other Palladium games only got one vote each so I treated them all as Palladium.

D&D I split into OD&D, Basic D&D, AD&D, 3rd, 4th and 5th ed.

I'd treat edition 1 and 2 of Shadowrun as the same game. Luckily , no one's voted for 3rd or 4th :smile:

Dude. I voted for 4th. It was my #9.

Agree with all of your policies except Palladium. I really don't care for the Palladium system except for the marvelous way they applied it to TMNT. My AD&D vote was very specific, but frankly, the loss of the Player's Option rules would not knock it down more than a couple of places.

Some games, those differences really matter, though. TSR D&D, AD&D, and each edition of WotC D&D are all practically different games...

I respectfully disagree, it is easy to translate almost all the adventures from Basic, AD&D 1e and 2e and 5e. I'm not as familar with 3e but again the adventures I've looked over are very familiar. Certainly the later editions add layers of rules that significantly effect play but the core system is there in all editions outside 4e.

I realize others strongly disagree with that view but that it is such a point of dispute shows that there is no consensus and debating it too much would probably derail the poll.

Well, I don't care if you lump all editions of a game together for the most part, so long as the similarities extend past using the same trademarked title (see: Chill). As long as Flashing Blades wins, we'll know everything was fair and above board. :thumbsup:

I realize others strongly disagree with that view but that it is such a point of dispute shows that there is no consensus and debating it too much would probably derail the poll.

Well, I think there's an easy solution, there were no specified standards or categories when the challenge started. But after the initial round of votes, I can let everyone who wants their vote to count for a specific iteration/edition vote according to the final categories based on whats made the list (no point on worrying about games that don't make it), and then, even if, say, at the end of the day "Fate" ends up as #27 on the list, say, than in the description of the final list for each game, I can note how many votes for each edition.

So, say Call of Cthulhu, I can note in the description: "3 people voted for 6th edition, two people voted for 3rd, etc"

Mainly I just dont want the list to look like this:

Call of Cthulhu (any edition)
Pendragon (4th Edition)
Call of Cthulhu 3rd edition
WEG Star Wars 1st Edition
Pendragon (any edition)
WEG Star Wars (3rd Edition)
AD&D 1E
D&D (ACKS)
Call of Cthulhu 6th Edition
D&D (BECMI)
D&D (Rules cyclopedia)
Pendragon (2nd Edition)

etc...

I think some groupings makes it much more useful as a list

I've stated my position and you've stated yours. I'm perfectly content to leave it at that, and just respectfully allow you to continue being wrong (and smelling like canned soup) for the rest of your wretched life on Earth.

Tristram's "easy solution" makes perfect sense to me, as it preserves the intent of my vote without breaking the rankings down into meaningless garbletrash.

Yes, I prefer to keep 'editions' out of nominating games, really. Otherwise the overall list just gets confusing. You could just nominate your preferred edition in brackets to make a point, but I think the overall votes should go to the game line as a whole (warts and all).

Dude. I voted for 4th. It was my #9.

OK, sorry I missed that (the list of single nominations is crazy long, and not yet in alphabetical order).

Agree with all of your policies except Palladium. I really don't care for the Palladium system except for the marvelous way they applied it to TMNT.

Well, with oWoD - there were several votes for oWoD as a whole, but then also enough votes for Vampire and Mage, respectively, for me to break them off into their own category. Although this did reduce the overall votes for oWoD. Which, I admit is somewhat of a conundrum. Right now, practically, if I remove your vote from TMNT, it'll knock down Palladium, and could take TMNT off the list entirely. But I can do that. So...I dunno, let me ruminate on this.

My AD&D vote was very specific, but frankly, the loss of the Player's Option rules would not knock it down more than a couple of places.

OK, here was my PoV on that : the Player's Option rules, from my mind, didnt change the overall nature of the system. Its still played the same way, was resolved the same way. The same way I wouldnt consider Marvel superheroes vs Marvel Superheroes + Ultimate Powers book two different games. In the same way I know alot of people disliked the bowdlerization and changed focus of the 2nd edition rulebooks, but ultimately it was practically the same system, just applied slightly differently. So I didnt break up AD&D & AD&D 2e.

So I mean, you know that you consider it a better game with the players option books included. But is it important enough for the list to distinguish that, knowing that it will be reduced to a single vote?

Last edited:
Did you have something to say about my post, or are you just in love with the sound of my voice as I am?

So I mean, you know that you consider it a better game with the players option books included. But is it important enough for the list to distinguish that, knowing that it will be reduced to a single vote?

I thought I'd made it clear I was agreeing with your decision and your rationale. I'm sorry I didn't manage to convey that definitively enough.

If you'd note Player's Option the way you're planning on noting specific votes for 1e/2e, that would be perfect-- and if you won't, I'm content with my vote standing as a vote for AD&D.

I thought I'd made it clear I was agreeing with your decision and your rationale. I'm sorry I didn't manage to convey that definitively enough.

Sorry, I may have misinterpreted what you were saying. Yes, I will distinguish your vote for "2.5 Players Option" in the commentary beneath the category.

I've stated my position and you've stated yours. I'm perfectly content to leave it at that, and just respectfully allow you to continue being wrong (and smelling like canned soup) for the rest of your wretched life on Earth.

:thumbsup:

OK, one more day for anyone who wants to get any votes in (or alter their votes)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back