Character Creation Challenge 2022

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Day 17

Hey all! I'm doing some catch-up work here. Things are getting busier for me right now, with my adjunct teaching gig starting at the local university tomorrow. I don't know how much longer I'll be able to continue with this challenge, but I'm going to give it a shot. In an attempt to catch up, I'm going to work up some more remakes. These are some of my old Champions characters (from our second campaign back in 1982 or so) converted to SUPERS! Revised.

Arachnid
(20D)

ORIGIN: Altered Human

RESISTANCES (6D)
Composure 3D, Fortitude 3D, Reaction 2D, Will 2D

APTITUDES (6D)
Athleticism 3D, Business 3D, Presence 3D

POWERS (10D)
Communication 2D (Animals; Complication: Only with Arachnids 1D), Ensnare 3D (Boost: Area 1D), Physical Paralysis 3D (Complications: Burnout 1D, Only vs. Exposed Skin), Super Leap 1D, Super Strength 3D

ADVANTAGES (1D)
Wealthy 1D

DISADVANTAGES (-3D)
Enemy (Dr. Tarantulus) 1D, Public ID, Thrillseeker (Minor Mental Hindrance)

COMPETENCY DICE: 5D

BACKGROUND: Abducted, experimented on, and nearly enslaved by the villainous Dr. Tarantulus, Archibald Strongwebb escaped with the help of his friends. He now dedicates his considerable wealth to fighting supervillainy wherever and whenever it turns up.

The campaign that featured Arachnid was a low-powered Champions campaign (100 starting points + 100 points in disadvantages). Consequently, the characters were very modest in their super-abilities, which has translated to their SUPERS! Revised versions. I kinda like that!

All the best,

TGIDragonfly

Day 18

This is another character from the same campaign that featured Arachnid. Again, the conversion is from 2nd edition Champions to SUPERS! Revised.

Black Knight
(20D)

ORIGIN: Hi-Tech

RESISTANCES (6D)
Composure 3D, Fortitude 3D*, Reaction 2D, Will 3D

APTITUDES (1D)
Academia 4D [From Super Brain], Awareness 2D, Technology 4D [From Super Science]

POWERS (15D)
Armor 4D*, Super Brain 4D, Super Science 4D, Super Senses (Infrared) 2D*, Super Strength 2D*, Super Weaponry 4D* (Energy Mace; Complication: Touch)

ADVANTAGES (1D)
Profession (Robotics Engineer) 1D

DISADVANTAGES (-3D)
Enemy (Dr. Tarantulus) 1D, Secret ID, Chivalrous (Minor Mental Hindrance)

*Complication: Device (Power Armor)

BACKGROUND: Dr. Vincent Knight was working on a power armor suit for Strongwebb Industries when his friend and boss, Archie Strongwebb, was abducted by Dr. Tarantulus. When Dr. Tarantulus' allies proved too much for conventional police, Dr. Knight donned his prototype suit and used it to rescue Strongwebb. In the months after, he agreed to join Strongwebb's superhero team. He claims that it's only to keep an eye on his impulsive and cavalier friend, but he actually enjoys playing out his adventurous persona.

You know, these are old characters. I was a kid and, therefore, less creative with names than I would have liked. Arachnid is kind of a lame superhero name. I don't know why I didn't just go with Strongwebb as Archie's superhero name. Whatever. I'm not gonna second-guess these too much. I have some old art for these guys somewhere. I'll see if I can dig it up.

All the best,

TGIDragonfly

Day 19:

Lildra val Troon
(GURPS 4th edition Ally)

ST: 9
DX: 10
IQ: 14
HT: 10

ADVANTAGES:
Attractive; Business Acumen Talent/2; Charisma/1; Civil Office (steward of Stormcairn); Headhunter; L: Solonendi (A/A); Luck; Rank/4 (compagnia manager); Signature Gear; Status/2 (amak's heir); University Education; Wealthy.

DISADVANTAGES: Code of Honor (Professional); Duty (compagnia/amakate) 15-; Extra Sleep/2; Minor Medical Ailment (asthma); Sense of Duty (compagnia).

SKILLS: Accounting-14; Administration-15; Area Knowledge (Shedra)-14; Area Knowledge (Stormcairn)-14; Body Language-13; Connoisseur (fine things in life!)-13; Current Affairs (politics)-14; Diplomacy-13; Geography-12; Intelligence Analysis-12; Intimidation-13; Leadership-14; Literature-12; Market Analysis-14; Merchant-15; Musical Composition-12; Musical Instrument (vielle)-12; Public Speaking-14; Research-13; Riding-9; Savoir-Faire-15; Singing-11; Smallsword-9; Strategy-13.

QUIRKS: "I won't be poor again!"; Determined never to overdrink; Get mad AND get even ... with interest; Varden’s the only one who gets to call her Lily.

So I was on Discord with one of my players earlier tonight. His character’s a financial wizard with Multi-Millionaire, which is huge in GURPS; basically, he wanted to see if he could use gold as his superpower, in his words. Only he’s out adventuring a lot, and maintaining both his far-flung financial empire and the border domain he purchased from the Crown takes hands-on. He had the idea of using some XP to buy an Ally, which in GURPS is a loyal sidekick. There’s a “Frequency of Appearance” modifier that determines how often the Ally is there, but he doesn’t want a sidekick: he wants a loyal and reliable financial manager to keep everything running until he gets back. So we worked out a couple details, and I did up his character’s younger sister, based on 120 points (50% of Varden's current point total).

Lady Lildra is 24 years old, and already both the manager of the family compagnia and the steward of the Amakate (the lowest ranking landowning title in my world) of Stormcairn. She’d gone to university to get a musical education, and she’s not incompetent in that, but she doesn’t have any real spark as far as that goes ... and as much to the point, it’s tough to get through a musical set when you have coughing jags. The family’s nouveau riche, so Lildra’s had to learn how to ride and handle a sword and suchlike, but she has no real flair for those either. So reluctantly, she followed her older brother into business. There, she has a real spark.

This is not easy. The Kingdom’s in a civil war, held down to a simmer by an armistice, and Stormcairn is a border province that incidentally is the Kingdom’s largest source of sulfur (and hence both gunpowder and industrial acids). Right across the river is the enemy pickets, and she has to manage a restive populace, the family’s financial interests, several competing military units (the meager provincial militia, two separate mercenary units, and a battalion of the national army), and that the one who’s supposed to be in charge is gallivanting Moon Lord-knows-where. Still, she’s loyal to her brother, and means not to let him down.

Most everything is self-explanatory. “Solonendi” is the elven language; Varden has many interests in the elf-lands. Shedra’s the nearest large city and the HQ for the compagnia. Her Signature Gear is a minor magical item that adds to defense against mind-reading or influence. Skills like Intelligence Analysis and Strategy, well ... she’s having to deal with military matters she really shouldn’t have to do, but it is what it is.

Day #18
Conan RPG (TSR)

Kupang the son of Kutun and Leipan was born in the land of Khitai. As a youth Kupang learned Carpentry from his father.

PROWESS 1
Movement 5
Climbing 3
Throwing 2

FIGHTiNG 0
Weapon Sabre 2
Weapon Short Bow 3
Brawling 1

ENDURANCE 0
Poison 3

KNOWLEDGE 0
Carpentry 1
Lockpicking 3

PERCEPTION 0
Observation 3
Pocket Picking 4

INSIGHT 0
Danger Sense 4
Direction Sense 1

Inventory
Short Bow, 100' Rope, Grapple & Bridle, Horse, saddle

Character creation in 2 pages with reasonable depth and detail. I'm pleasantly surprised and I wish I'd played this before.

Last edited:
Day 19: Release the Bats! It's Bloodsucker: the angst.

Name: Nate Williams / Cytotoxic
Clique: Mosher
Life Template: Retail Worker
Concept: Industrialist
Cool: 8

Clique Weakness: Moshers anger easily. While drunk they have a –2 penalty to any Will Saves and a –4 penalty to any Will Saves to stop losing their temper.

Clique Strength: Moshers love to drink and it fills them with confidence and power. With their beer-head on Moshers gain +1 to Strength and Constitution and an extra two Hit Points which vanish when they sober up.

Life Template Special: Retail workers must take the Con ‘Weekend Warrior’. They gain a +2 bonus on any Charisma based Skill Checks and a +1 bonus to their Will Saves. Retail workers may not take any Skills related to the shop that they work in.

Str: 10 0
Dex: 12 +1
Con: 11 0
Int: 16 +3
Wis: 6 -2
Cha: 13 +1
Juice: 5

HP: 10
Defence Class: 11
Close Combat Bonus +0
Ranged Combat Bonus +1
Save Bonus +0

Power Feats:

Be Stronger 1 (+1 Strength), Be Tougher 1 (+1 Con), Go Faster 1 (Spend 1 Juice for +4 Initiative), Go Faster 2 (+2 Dex)

Other Feats

Wheels of Steel
Benefit: The character has a considerable collection of music, decks, amps and CD/Record players. Whether they’re actually any good at playing or not they are a good source of mix tapes and are likely to act as the DJ at many events and parties getting them access cheap or free and providing them with a +2 bonus to Performance (Mix tape) and Performance (DJ).

Sixth Sense
Benefit: The character gains a +1 bonus to Reflex Saves from having a little more forewarning than most people and once a game can ask the Games Master for a hint based on a Yes/No answer.

Pros

Cool Parents 2
Benefit: You have cool parents. They were and probably still are goths, punks, hippies or some other youth culture subset from when they were young. They may even be Bloodsuckers themselves! Whatever the case your house if full of interesting things and they generally let you do pretty much whatever you want. ‘You’re a vampire now? Far out man!’ As a side effect of their general coolness you get +1 Cool.

1337 5
Benefit: LOL! You ROXXOR! When it comes down to the internets you have a phat box and a phat pipe and you’re not afraid to use them. J00 r 1337! All must phear your 1337 skillz and cry ‘Oh noes!’ at your presence! You get +2 to any computer related Checks and can really mess up people’s day. When victorious in combat you tend to shout ‘Pwned!

Cons

Anthem of Command 2 - Headhunter
Drawback: A commonly played song is your dance ‘anthem’ and you cannot resist the pull of the dance floor when it is played. Whenever that song is played you simply have to dance.

Paddling in Egypt 5
Drawback: You are deep in denial. You’re not a Bloodsucker, not a goth or even gothish in any way shape or form. No siree! Somehow you just seem to end up in the same clubs, listen to the same music and if you like a taste of blood now and again, well, who doesn’t? You suffer a -2 penalty on all Charisma related checks when interacting with other Bloodsuckers or people from the scene. At least you’re in good company with Andrew Eldritch and Siouxie Sioux.

Weekend Warrior 2
Drawback: You work a regular nine-to-five or have very restrictive parents. As such you cannot adorn yourself with tattoos, pierce your face eight-million times or have an interesting hairstyle. As such this greatly limits how far you can increase your Cool with clothing and accessories as you have to be able to look presentable again after the weekend.

Bloodsucker Racial Traits
• Medium-size: As medium-size creatures Bloodsuckers have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
• Bloodsucker base speed is 30 feet.
• Bloodsuckers receive one extra Feat at 1st Level. This is already worked into their levelling bonuses.
• Bloodsuckers receive 4 extra Skill points at first Level and 1 extra Skill point at each additional Level. This is already worked in to their levelling bonuses.
• Automatic Language: Bloodsuckers receive their native language for free.
• Sunlight: Normal sunlight does not hurt Bloodsuckers, they just find it very uncomfortable and must try to stay in dark shaded areas, wear sunglasses and take other precautions. Only the rays of the rising sun in the morning harm them, by burning them to an instant crisp, killing them outright. Nonetheless given the choice Bloodsuckers would be nocturnal and hate going around in the day if it can possibly be avoided.
• Stakes: A stake through the heart will kill a Bloodsucker. This is not surprising; having a piece of wood shoved through your heart will kill just about anything.
• Decapitation: A Bloodsucker will die after having its head cut off. D’uh.
• Fire: Fire does double damage to Bloodsuckers and really, really hurts. It is further detailed in the combat section.
• Blood Drain: Bloodsuckers may bite people, as detailed in the combat section.
• Healing: Bloodsuckers can spend Juice Points on a one-for-one basis to heal Hit Point damage as well as to use their Powers.
• Garlic: Does not do a thing.
• Crosses: Do not work.
• Running water: Do not be silly.
• Damage Reduction: Bloodsuckers do not get any by default. While being undead getting cleaved in half still hurts like a bitch, as does getting shot. Bullets travel faster than sound, are white hot, blow out chunks of flesh and shatter bones. Being dead does not help resist that.

Class Skills: Bluff, Drive, Hobby, Intimidate, Party Hardy, Perform and Streetwise.

Bluff 3 (Charisma)
Computer Use 2 (Int)
Decipher Script 2 (Int)
Disable Device 2 (Int)
Drive 1 (Dex)
Hobby (Video Games) 4 (Dex)
Knowledge (Industrial Music) 2 (Int)
Party Hardy (Con) 3
Performance (Mixtape) 4 (Cha)
Performance (DJ) 3 (Cha)
Performance (Keyboards) 2 (Cha)

Equipment: Big Fuck Off Boots (+2 Cool), Black Tank Top (+1 Cool), Black Cargo Pants (+1 Cool), Black Sunglasses (+1 Cool), Spiked Collar (+2 Cool) Sensible Haircut (-1 Cool)

Moolah: £1000 worth of stuff and an income of £45 per game.

Background: By day he is Nate, somewhat shy music geek who works in Lidl. But at night with a few drinks inside him he becomes Cytotoxic, popular industrial DJ, first on the dancefloor and first to throw a punch.

The aforementioned punches are especially thrown at anyone who dares call him a Goth, rather than an Industrialist.

Day 19: Warriors of the Red Planet

Today it's back to the Red Planet, this time via the OD&D like game Warriors of the Red Planet. Character creation is quick and easy. The steps are what you'd expect for an OD&D clone. The scientist class, which I chose for today's challenge, gains access to "gadgets". The number you have, and their quality, depends on your level. In general they require an external, rechargeable power source. At level 1 this means single-use devices. The number of charges you have also improves with level.

Name: Kiri Karis
Race: "Human" (actually Martian, the standard/norm for this game)
Class: Scientist

Str: 7 [-1]
Dex: 10 [+0]
Con: 8 [-1]
Int: 16 [+2;]
Wis: 12 [+0]
Cha: 9 [+0]
Soc: 9 [+0]

AC: 7
HP: 5
BTH: 0

Saving Throws:
Explosions: 15
Mentalism: 14
Energy: 13
Poison: 14
Falls: 16
General: 15

Gear:
Basic harness [AC 7]
Radium pistol [Dmg 1d8; Range 30; Rate: 1]
Short sword [Dmg 1d6]

Gadgets:
Personal Shield [+6 AC bonus vs ranges; +4 AC bonus vs melee]

Motivation roll on Mythic = "Move" + "Outside". This gal is in search of the Planetary Restoration device (or the knowledge to make it)! Her goal is to rehabilitate the planet and to make it green again, allowing people to move further afield from the Red Planet's dwindling canals.

Past event = "Adjourn" + "Reality".

Kiri once found an ancient device that allowed her to visit another reality, where the world was green and the people lived in harmony and peace. The experience threw her own world of harshness and violence into stark contrast. It left her changed and hungry to bring what she experienced there into her own world.

There have, unfortunately, been no shortage of challenges to confront her. The most surprising for her is that there are no shortage of people who prosper from the current state of the world, and who do not want it changed - even if that leads to her people's eventual extinction. One of her rivals even went so far as to destroy the ancient device that allowed her to view other realities.

Now she travels the Red Planet is search of the knowledge that will aid her cause, and find no shortage of adventure on her way.

Brigand

Drive: Greed

Might: Exceptional Superhuman
Agility: Average Superhuman
Toughness: Spectacular Superhuman
Intellect: Spectacular Human
Knowledge: Spectacular Human
Resolve: Average Superhuman

Powers:
Brigand is a super-merc for hire, his body has been rebuilt with advanced cybernetics believed to be of human origin, but the truth is unrevealed. He works for the highest bidder but won't change sides if he's already been paid (up front.) He's quite willing and able to risk, the expensive upgrade in his body to win. In fact he willingly blew off one of his own cybernetic limbs to escape. (which shocked the heroes who believed he was in fancy armor but otherwise human at the time. The cybernetics give him the augmented abilities above plus heightened senses, armor, and movement (wallcrawling and leaping) all at Exceptional Superhuman level. He's fast in sheer reaction time as well.

Brigand also carries a number of high-tech weapons capable of doing Spectacular superhuman damage in melee or at range.

Brigand's history is pretty much a cypher--he obviously has worked as a mercenary and likely espionage agent, and been burned. However, he still finds jobs on the other side of things away from government over sight and laws. Who he is? Most people don't ask, and he definitely won't tell. People who pressure him have a nasty habit of turning up in hospitals, or morgues.

Attachments

• Brigand.jpg
    Brigand.jpg
    310.6 KB · Views: 3
Day 19: Millennium's End, Chameleon Eclectic Entertainment

Name: Michael Ward Castillo
Nationality: American
Background: Ex-Special Forces
Height: 190 cm
Weight: 102 kg
Handedness: Right
Years of Higher Education: 4

Intelligence: 40
Sensibility: 34
Agility: 45
Coordination: 60
Constitution: 66
Strength: 72
Personality: 26
Appearance: 28
Bravado: 53
Willpower: 46

Perception: 29
Base Speed: 14
Recovery: 12
Endurance: 13
Damage Rating: 6
Mass Factor: 0.7

Academic Skills (Base: 4)
Geography 40
History 20
Journalism 20 (Research 10)
Language Group: Anglo 50 (English 25)
Literature 20
Philosophy 30

Creative Skills (Base: 4)
None

Domestic/Technical Skills (Base: 5)
Electrics 30 (Electronics 15)
General Mechanics 15
Locksmithing 20
Miniature Mechanics 40

Medical Skills (Base: 4)
Medicine 20

Natural Skills (Base: 3)
Hiding 25
Perception 30

Physical Skills (Base: 3)
Armed Hand to Hand 25 (Thrust 10, Swing 10)
Kata 40 (Karate 25)
Unarmed Hand to Hand 55 (Punch 27, Dodge 25, Kick 25, Block 25)
Swim 20
Throw 24

Reflexive Skills (Base: 3)
Aim 50 (Autofire 25, Longarm 25, Smallarm 25)
Drive 30 (Automobile 15)

Scientific Skills (Base: 4)
Computer Operation 20 (Civil Systems 10)
Math 45
Military Science 32 (Tactics 10, Hardware 10)

Social Skills (Base: 3)
Diplomacy 20

Gear:
Glock 20 Pistol with 6 Magazines (10mm Ball) and Suppressor
Colt M16 Commando Assault Rifle with 8 Magazines (5.56mm Ball)
Hunting Knife
Kevlar Helmet

Backstory: Michael joined the BlackEagle security and investigations company after eight years in the military, having been approached by a recruiter shortly after he was discharged. Before that, he had earned a B.A. in Communications, but had decided that a desk job wasn't really what he wanted to do with this life, and found the physical and mental challenges of SpecOps to be much more to his liking. Along with proficiency in both armed and unarmed combat (including a black belt in Karate), Michael is skilled at covert entry and bypassing security systems, something that comes up quite a bit in the murky world of BlackEagle missions. Currently, he is assigned to the main office in Miami, awaiting being placed on a team and being sent on his first mission.

Day 19

So, continuing the trend from yesterday, this is another character from that 1982-1983 2nd Edition Champions campaign converted to SUPERS! Revised.

Gigantus
(20D)

ORIGIN: Mutant

RESISTANCES (7D)
Composure 3D, Fortitude 4D, Reaction 2D, Will 2D

APTITUDES (6D)
Athleticism 3D, Awareness 2D, Fighting 3D, Vehicles 2D

POWERS (9D)
Growth 5D, Super Strength 5D (Complication: Linked to Growth)

DISADVANTAGES (-2D)
Enemy (VIPER), Impulsive (Minor Mental Hindrance), Public ID

BACKGROUND: Leon Banks Jr. was an up-and-coming professional boxer whose career was ruined when his mutant powers manifested in the middle of a very public match. Uncertain of what to do with his life, he approached Arachnid and volunteered to join his newly formed superhero team. Foiling an attempt on Arachnid's life upon their first meeting, he was not only admitted into the team but earned a very specific job as Archie Strongwebb's bodyguard.

Gigantus was my next-door neighbor's character, not mine. In his original incarnation, he was just a muscle-bound, bald, African-American man who wore a black wrestling outfit, black boots, and black gloves. Working on this character helped me to peg the start of the campaign at 1982 for sure. How do I know? Because I remember that about a year later, Gigantus got an upgrade. Inspired by the release of the A-Team in 1983, my next-door neighbor updated Gigantus' look by adding a mohawk, beard, and mustache. In short, he came to be played by Mr. T.

All the best,

TGIDragonfly

I'd probably see if he can get True Strike, and maybe Magic Stone (modified for his crescent blades, or heck he had throwing irons at one point so those..) I've never seen him do something as showy as light of sacred flame. Friends might be worthwhile or Mind Sliver. But admittedly I'm a Moon Knight fan. (in fact I might make him Monk/Bard (College of Valor) mind you I'm pretty sure Spider-Man has levels of bard too (Vicious mockery is a given for him.)

Day 20:

Eh, I might as well go a bit further down the random gen Empire of the Petal Throne kick, this time with the Theatre of the Mind’s Eye Adventures on Tekumel rules written by Prof. Barker in 1992. This takes you through a long chargen with numerous traits.

Birthplace: the city of Chéne Hó at the edge of the Atkolel Heights, west of Khirgár in the extreme northwest of the Tsolyáni Imperium.

Name: Ssa’átis hi Carunai of the White Crystal (high status) Clan.

Religion: His family are Keténgku worshipers (the Cohort of Thúmis, governing healing, writing, science, art)

Family: Both parents living, ten siblings, no other significant close relatives.

Starting Wealth: 232 Kaitars, plus bequest of minor importance.

Birthday: 22 Shápru (the middle of the rainy season)

Height/Weight/Strength: 5'3" (eeep, a shrimp!), medium build, STR 56

Dexterity: 89
Intelligence: 61
HBS number: 56+5 (see below) = 61.
Damage Points: 51.
Psychic Talent: 48 (= not.)
Comeliness: 88. Aw. Ssa’átis is a pretty boy.
Charisma: 65 (= still average)

On to Academic Skills, where I have 7 skill units based on INT. One level of Reading/Writing is mandatory, to which I add three of Warrior (@ 2 pts) and one of Music (1). Following the instruction in Section 8, the second pass through this list is one of Etiquette (1). one of Religion (2 pts), and two of Military science (@ 2 pts).

Outdoor Skills have 5 skill units, so I’ll get Mountaineering (1, suitable for Chéne Hó), one in Mu’ugalavyáni (3, that being the language of the empire next door), and one in Athletics (1, which raises my HBS number by 5). Section 8 instructs me to take four more levels, so we’ll make that two in Brawling (1) and one in Archery (2).

Artisan/Urban Skills: I roll 2 skill units, so ... hm. Musician it is for 2! Section 8 instructs me to take one more level ... hm. Not too many options. One in Warrior/Hired Guard (1), I suppose.

On to Advanced Academic Skills, and my INT gives me 10 points. Unfortunately, his lack of psychic talent precludes becoming a sorcerer, so let’s go with a level of Orator (2), and some basic Soldier skills, because this poor fellow’s going to have to go for a warrior: Basic training (1), Formations (1), Field tactics (1). Those levels in Military Science get me Military history (2) as well. This saves five skill units for weapon skills down the chart.

So: weapon skills. Those ‘Warrior’ skills back when translate into skill levels, so those plus five units left over, I’ll take four levels in Long sword (@ 2), and the Archery gets me a partial in Crossbow.

Hobbies and Interests: I roll to get 8 units. Hm. Y’know, let’s go into a particular field: four levels of Logistics and supply (@ 2) ... Ssa’átis will be useful to that legion down the road.

At age 15, he leaves his clanhouse to seek glory! That, and take out his angst on the screaming bodies of the Empire’s enemies ... see, kids are mean, and before Ssa’átis hit puberty and got to be a chiseled -- if still short -- hunk, the other kids in the clanhouse teased him for being pudgy, calling him “Ssu’átis” (you need to be familiar with Tekumel to know what an insult that is).

As I'm four days behind, I'll be starting with something simple today, a character made from the Ultraviolet Grasslands Player's Guide. This is my 17th character in this thread.

First step is roll a d40 3x to find out who my character is. My hero is a ...

Purplefolk doghead anarchist, who is on the road because he nightly dreams of a lost world. He carries a small furry brown vome that giggles when petted.

Next step is to roll a d14 to see why the heroes are journeying to the end of the world. Ooh, I rolled a 13, which means my party's goal is Saving the World! That's pretty epic! "The party is convinced that the world is ending, and must recover the holiest of relics from the Final Place to avert it."

Adventurers start with 100 cash. I'll spend 10 on a pack of "Supplies, Voyager," 40 on "VC Healing Lotion," and 10 on a "Steppelander Hat," part of the description of which is "looks cool." Always want to look cool when adventuring! I'll hold on to my remaining 40 cash.

It's strongly encouraged that heroes get some sort of mount. You can get a patron, which lets you start with more available funds, but puts you in debt to the patron. My guy is debt-averse so he's going to skip that.

Seems like a good idea to have a weapon, and the only ranged weapons my guy can afford are bow or crossbow. I'll go with bow. Now I've got 15 cash remaining. And I'll spend my last 15 cash on a scimitar, so I have a melee weapon. I guess I'm not buying armor...

Switching over to Ultraviolet Grassland and the Black City free version in search of stats, I find that it says, "I assume six stats, hit dice, AC, and all that jazz, but most of the UVG is descriptive and you have to add your own specific stats to suit your game."

I'm tired and don't feel like doing that, so I'll name my guy Yipee Gippersen and call him done.

Ultaviolet Grasslands seems like a really cool, unique setting in which I would like to play.

Name: Pendragon (Alex Lafayette Pendrake)
Drive: Responsibility

Might: Average Superhuman
Agility: Exceptional Human
Toughness: Average Superhuman
Intellect: Exceptional Human
Knowledge: Exceptional Human
Resolve: Exceptional Human

Powers:

Excalibur's Scabbard: Spectacular Superhuman body armor versus blades and bullets (and any penetrating or peircing wounds), Spectacular Human against other types of damage. Pendragon as a very distant descendant of Morgan Lefey, and Arthur Pendragon, was asked which was the greatest magical treasure between Excalibur's blade and the scabbard that prevent bleeding wounds, he answered unlike Arthur correctly and was awarded both. The scabbard is the reason for his armor and toughness. (He does wear a half-cuirass, but its worked steel and only covers half his upper torso. It's Exceptional Human Armor)

Excalibur: The famed magical sword it can cut through nearly anything with Exceptional Planetary ability (but it only causes Spectacular Superhuman damage otherwise.) it is considered unbreakable by any force, come to his hand when called, and he has Exceptional Superhuman might for purposes of striking with the blade.

Alex Pendrake, a distant descendant of Arthur and Morgan LeFey, inherited esteem-able wealth in Britain. While visiting his ancestor's land, land he inherited, he was visited by the spirit of Merlin and asked the ages old question of which was better scabbard of blade, not being into all things Arthurian he answered the question correctly anyway and was awarded the blade and scabbard to do good works. He's not planning on trying to claim Britain for a Kingdom (Being American by birth he's fond of democracy, not necessarily fond of its failures, but still.) Alex is slowly working to move to Britain due to the family holdings. He's got a measure of honor, and turned his attention to studying Arthurian lore (which he swears makes no sense at all, truthfully) while acting as a chosen champion and superhero.

For the record this is an old character I drew and never played and actually the second attempt to draw him, the first was much better but disappeared, so this was the newer attempt.

Attachments

• Pendragon.jpg
    Pendragon.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 1
Day 20: Some more wargaming, this time a Ludus for the excellent Gladiator game Sons of Mars.

Owner Name: Caeso Vesnius Cenaeus

Basic Ludus - Houses up to 4 Gladiators, No Beast Cages, Houses 1 Specialist, Room for 1 upgrade.

Gladiator 1

Name: Cnaeus

Type: Equites

Heritage: Roman
Son of Rome - No matter what path led you to the sands of the arena you will always be a son of Rome. Any gladiator of Roman descent may re roll their result on the Victory table
High Expectations - For a Roman to lose in the arena is a blemish on Rome itself. No coin or experience points may be awarded to a gladiator of Roman descent when they roll on the Table of Defeat.

Strength/ +0Agility/ +0Charisma/ +0Movement/ +5Vitality/ +8
Charge/ +1Sustained/ +1Counter Attack / +1Defensive/ +1Armour / +2

Abilities: Endurance. The Gladiator can reroll any fatigue test.

WeaponChargeSustainCriticalDefenseArmourAbilities
Gladius w/ Parmula1210+1Parry
Pugio01000
Horse30000Knockdown

Gladiator 2

Name: Servius

Type: Murmillo
Heritage: None

Strength/ +2Agility/ -1Charisma/ -1Movement/ +3Vitality/ +10
Charge/ +1Sustained/ +1Counter Attack / +1Defensive/ +1Armour / +2

Abilities: Dirty Tricks.
This action can be used on its own or attached to a Move action. The gladiator must be within 1 inch or in base contact and win an opposed Agility Test vs their opponent. If successful the attacking gladiator throws sand, gouges an eye, or does any other type of rotten trick you can think of forcing their opponent to re-roll any dice the attacker chooses in the very next attacking action.

Gladius w/ Parmula1210+1Parry
Pugio01000

Gladiator 3

Name: Lucius

Type: Noxii

Heritage: Roman
Son of Rome - No matter what path led you to the sands of the arena you will always be a son of Rome. Any gladiator of Roman descent may re roll their result on the Victory table
High Expectations - For a Roman to lose in the arena is a blemish on Rome itself. No coin or experience points may be awarded to a gladiator of Roman descent when they roll on the Table of Defeat.

Strength/ +0Agility/ -1Charisma/ -2Movement/ +4Vitality/ +5
Charge/ +1Sustained/ +1Counter Attack / +1Defensive/ +1Armour / +0

Gladius1210+0

Gladiator 4

Name: Proclus

Type: Noxii
Heritage: None

Strength/ +0Agility/ -2Charisma/ -2Movement/ +5Vitality/ +5
Charge/ +1Sustained/ +1Counter Attack / +1Defensive/ +1Armour / +0

Pugio0100+0

Notes: The thinking here is pretty straightforward. Buy two elite gladiators (Equites in particular are very expensive to equip) then fill the rest of the ranks with cheap and expendable Noxii (prisoners).

Day 20: Sharp Swords & Sinister Spells

I almost missed out on today. As it is, I'm gonna have to be quick. So I'm thinking about a fantasy Sherlock Holmes type coming into this, and will let the dice decide the rest.

Name: Justen Wild
Class: Specialist
Vocation: Investigator

HD: 1d8
HP: 8
Luck: d8

Physique: 7
Agility: 10
Intellect: 12
Willpower: 8

Abilities:
Luckiest of them All: Restore downgraded luck each day by 1 step
Sneak Attack: Positive die & 3x damage when attacking unaware enemies
Improved reflexes: Positive die on Agility rolls
Specialist's Skills: Positive die on delecate tasks (sneaking, hiding, etc)

Complication: Indebted to a supernatural entity.

Gear: Short sword [Dmg: d4], Light armor [DR: 1]

Motivation roll in Mythic: Release + Good
Our hero knows someone who was wrongly imprisioned and seeks a way to have that person released.

Past event: Overindulge + Joy
Our hero has a bit of a lecherous streak. His imprisoned friend could have been helped had he not been too busy partaking in his home wrecking kinks. Damn the pretty redheads!

Day 20: Dogs of W*A*R*, Beyond Belief Games

Name: Ray "Manta" Stone
Nationality: American
Background: Criminal

Strength: 0
Agility: 2
Mind: 1
Appeal: 1

Brawl: 1
Melee: 1
Ranged: 1
Defense: 1

Lifeblood: 10
Mission Points: 0
Exploit Points: 3

Primary Specialization: Fixer 2
Secondary Specialization: Squid 2
Third Specialization: Soldier 1
Fourth Specialization: Admin 1

Boons: Contacts, Stealthy, Mimic
Flaws: Deadly Enemy (Mafia)

Languages: English, Spanish, Mandarin, French, Russian

Gear: Medium Pistol, Submachinegun, Knife, 2 Smoke Grenades, Light Body Armor

Backstory: In his old life, Ray Stone was one of the best smugglers in the business. Anything, anywhere -- he could get it past anyone, whether it be with words and forged papers, on a fast boat under cover of night, or even through a tunnel under a fortified national border. He wasn't picky about what he moved, either, with one exception -- no human beings. One day, though, the Mafia took exception to his exception, and tried to strongarm him into moving their cargo. He alerted the authorities instead, in exchange for immunity, and since then the mob has had it out for Ray. Needing somewhere to go, he was found by the clandestine Worldwide Armed Response (W*A*R*) unit, and offered the chance to use his skills to fight criminals, terrorists, cults, and whoever else was a threat to global stability and peace. Ray often serves as a team's fixer and procurement specialist, in addition to being a capable diver and boat pilot. His global network of contacts (at least, the ones who will still talk to him) are often invaluable sources of support as well.

For character 18, I'll be using the space opera game Star Dogs. First step of character creation is to roll for the usual D&D-style stats and record their bonuses/penalties. It says to roll 3d6 for each and then rearrange them as you see fit, but for simplicity's sake, I'll just keep them in order.

Strength 12 (+/- 0)
Dexterity 10 (+/-0)
Constitution 9 (+/-0)
Intelligence 10 (+/-0)
Wisdom 14 (+1)
Charisma 8 (-1)

Next step is pick a race. Android!

Next you roll a d100 to see if you meet the 10% chance of Khybe sensitivity. Sounds like this is pretty much the same as Force sensitivity in Star Wars. I don't see anything saying that Androids aren't eligible to be Khybe sensitive, so let's roll! Damn, 20. I needed 10 or lower. I am not Khybe sensitive.

There's a note at the beginning of the section on Classes that all characters start with 6 HP, so I will. As for classes, I choose Pilot, because I like the description: "Good at flying, driving, and shooting. Also good at shooting while driving and flying."

For skills, at Level 1, a Pilot has to choose either driving or flying. Flying is more fun, so I choose it. Oh, I guess the actual name of the skill is "Pilot Spacecraft." If I'm reading this correctly, that's the only skill I get as a starting character.

Then you can take a Boon if you're also willing to take a Bane. Well, a space pilot is nothing without a ship, so I'll take the Spacecraft Boon, and most good space pilots are outlaws, so I'll take the Wanted Bane.

Finally, you get 3d6x10 starting credits. 110 credits!

I'll name this dude Casey Catastrophe, and that's another one done!

BTW, it amuses me that only about 1/3 of the games I've used for this project have specifically mentioned that you should give your PC a name.

Day 20

And here is one more character from that 1982-1983 2nd Edition Champions campaign converted to SUPERS! Revised. As previously stated, Archie Strongwebb and Dr. Vincent Knight were college buddies and business partners. Archie ended up with superpowers after being experimented on by the villainous Dr. Tarantulus. Vincent rescued his friend by donning an experimental suit of armor and stepping in when the police were overpowered. After this first escapade, they took the superhero names Arachnid and Black Knight and founded a team of super-adventurers. Leon Banks Jr. (AKA Gigantus) became their first recruit. Today I present you with their second ...

Black Cat (20D)

ORIGIN: Trained Normal

RESISTANCES (5D)
Composure 2D, Fortitude 2D, Reaction 3D, Will 2D

APTITUDES (10D)
Athleticism 3D (Trade-Off: More Acrobatic 4D Than Strong 2D), Awareness 3D, Fighting 2D, Intrusion 3D, Presence 3D, Vehicles 2D

POWERS (4D)
Ensnare 3D (Device: Bolos, Ammo), Super Senses 2D (Infravision; Device: Mask), Wall Crawling 3D (Device: Climbing Gloves and Boots)

ADVANTAGES (3D)
Profession (Cat Burglar) 1D, Profession (Gymnast) 1D, Super Vehicle 1D (Motorcycle)

DISADVANTAGES (-2D)
Kleptomaniac (Minor Mental Hindrance), Thrillseeker (Minor Mental Hindrance)

BACKGROUND: Catie Carruthers was an Olympic-level gymnast who thrived on overcoming challenges and living a dangerous life. She also suffered from kleptomania and took on a career as a cat burglar. When Archie Strongwebb publicly declared himself a superhero, she thought robbing him blind would be an excellent challenge. Unfortunately for her, Archie caught her in the act and apprehended her in one of his webs. Captivated by her charms and moved by her situation, he decided to take a chance on her instead and asked that she receive treatment for her mental illness. Eventually, they fell in love and got married. Taking on the identity of the Black Cat, she joined Arachnid, Black Knight, and Gigantus on the team.

Catcycle (10D)

RESISTANCES (3D)
Fortitude 2D, Reaction 3D

APTITUDES (2D)
Athleticism 3D

POWERS (4D)
Super Running 4D

ADVANTAGES (1D)
Size (Big) 1D

So, at the time that I made the Black Cat, I'd HEARD of Spider-Man's Black Cat, but had never read a comic book that featured her. I'm sure that mention of her informed my 12-year-old mind, but it wasn't necessarily a conscious or direct influence. The circumstances of Archie and Catie's relationship are fraught with problems, of course, but again - I was 12 years old! And I can't for the love of gaming remember what this superhero team's name was. I remember having a hard time deciding, but I think we finally settled on the Freedom Society of America. Not a great name, but I had a buddy who was reading a lot of Justice Society of America comics at the time, so I think that's what we went with. (Actually, I think it was All Star Squardon that he was reading, but the book often featured the JSA.)

Day 21:

Marco
(TFT fantasy character)

ST 9
DX 12
IQ 11

Talents:
Alertness, Area Knowledge, Boating, Brawling, Business Sense, Knife, Literacy, Quick-Draw (knife), Recognize Value, Streetwise.

Marco’s a 15-year-old street rat in a large canal-ridden metropolis (15th century Venice would be a good parallel). He’s used to living rough – and looks it – and used to not having much to eat – and looks it. He’s been an orphan for years, and is alone in the world ever since his younger brother was taken by a slaving gang for purposes Marco doesn’t like to think about.

In any event, the Mean Streets have a code, and Marco lives by it, knowing what happens to those who don’t. He scorns to beg, and will work hard at any task that will bring a few coins or the price of a meal ... which more or less comes down to being a runner or a laborer. With that, he’ll readily steal, but isn’t trained as a thief, and he knows it. To accept favors, though – that places a person in debt, and in Marco’s world, debts are something that must be repaid if one is to have any honor at all. If a person’s word is no good, they might as well open their veins, for no one will deal with them or look them in the eye, ever again. That’s the code. Marco is very chary of taking on debts he’s unsure he can repay.

Marco’s at an age where he wants things. He yearns to be clean and to wear clean clothes, but grimly accepts that won’t happen much. He’d really like a girlfriend, but glumly recognizes that few girls go for grimy street rats with neither prospects nor education. And he *really* wants an education – to know things. To be someone. His rooftop hovel has some precious salvaged/ stolen books, from dump heaps, from alleys, whatever the condition, whatever the topic, he wants them. But he resentfully accepts that the only education he’ll ever get is on his own.

Within these limitations, Marco’s a competent character. He’s good with a knife, he’d be a good merchant, he can handle a boat, and he very much knows his way around. But he’s used to a quid-pro-quo life: people are nice to you only if it doesn’t cost them anything, and only if they can’t sell you out for anything. The only time you can trust someone is if you’re in their debt, and even then you have to keep an eye on them. Always keep a clear exit, always have a bolthole no one knows about, always have a hideout knife, never let your guard down.

Day #20
Murderhobos- 3rd edition.

Chester T. Molester
Unhinged Priest
Class die d6
Class ability: Mindfuck
Primary Stats
Killing: 4
Avoiding Being Killed:2
Knowing Shit:1
Talking Your Way Out Of Anything: 1

Secondary Stats
Magic: 2
Traps: 1
Poisons: 1
The Law: 4

Hits for Today: 2 (Shouldn't have drank so much last night)

Weapon: Paddle of Judgement with perforated holes for maximum speed (1,000 gp weapon, Breaks on a 01 on d100)

Chester isn't allowed to work in schools anymore. Or Youth Organizations. Or really anywhere. He goes around "Saving" the world from horrible monsters. Most would rather have a nice chat with the monsters than ol Chester.

Day 21: Reign

In keeping with the theme of making these challenge characters relatively quickly, I'm using the One-Roll method, whereby I roll 11 dice (10-siders) and group matches. Ironically, the one-roll method produced one of the more rich backgrounds I've done for the challenge. Here's what the fates saw.

Name: Jean-Luc Rousselot

Stats:
Body 2
Coordination 3
Sense 3
Knowledge 3
Command 3
Charm 2

Skills:
Climb 2
Dodge 3
Endurance 1
Fascinate 2
Fight 2
Graces 2
Heal 2
Inspire 1
Jest 1
Languages 1
Lie 2
Lore 1
Plead 3
Ride 1
Run 3
Sight 1
Stealth 1
Student of Sailing 2
Tactics 1

Advantages:
Beauty (1)

Problem: Enemy (Mistress's husband and former teacher)

Jean-Luc spent his childhood years as a beggar on the streets. He was part of an organized beggars guild that likes to use children as pick-pockets and second-story men in burglary jobs. Once the children get old enough to be a threat to the guild's cowardly bosses, they're cast adrift to survive on their own, or are sold into slavery. For Jean-Luc, it was the latter. He was easy on the eyes and well proportioned, which meant he'd fetch a fine price. Thus it was that he came into Lady Chantal Desmarais's employ. It took a single look for the mistress of House Desmarais to decide she needed a strapping young bull man to service serve her day to day.

Her husband, the rather brilliant but utterly clueless scholar Lord Bernard Desmarais assumed that when his wife came home with a new slave, she'd made the purchase for himself and so he took the young lad as an apprentice to aid in his research. In the years that followed Jean-Luc would pick up a number of skills that would both sharpen his mind and push the limits of his endurance.

Then one day Lord Desmarais at long last discovered his wife's infidelity and, in a fit of rage, sold Jean-Luc off to captain Langston Karver of the merchant vessel known as the Lucky Barnacle. Under captain Karver's employ, Jean-Luc earned favor with both captain and crew and was eventually awarded his freedom. When captain Karver fell ill, he called Jean-Luc to himself and did something rather unexpected. He handed Jean-Luc a sealed letter, in which it was announced that Jean-Luc would be his adopted son, and would be the sole heir of his ship and his business.

It's been a month since captain Karver's death, and Jean-Luc Rousselot for the first time has his freedom and the whole world before him. As captain, he rechristens his ship the Lady Desmarais, and sets sail for adventure.

For my 19th character in the thread, I shall use Risus: The Anything RPG. I have only the core rules and not The Risus Companion.

Rex Feral grew up completely amoral and thus found gainful employment as a hit man for the Shardoovian Mob. But on one job, after killing a couple who had been fleecing the mob, he noticed the couple's young daughter seeing him standing over her parents' corpses, and her tears ever so slightly melted his icy heart. He took the girl under his wing and thus became a Hit Man with a Heart of Gold.

I have ten dice to distribute between Rex's Cliches, thus:

Hit Man 4
Cool Driving 3
Kindness 2
Pasta Chef 1

For character number 20, I will use Radical Spin, which describes itself as "a role-playing game about melodramatic action animals." Based on the color scheme, I think it's supposed to invoke thoughts of Sonic the Hedgehog and similar critters. iirc, this is the first truly one-page RPG I've used for this project. The rest of the "one-page" RPGs I've used have actually been two or three pages.

First steps are to choose an animal species, a main color, a simple personality, and a kickass name. I am Cool Cat, a groovy, laid-back purple housecat who wears sunglasses.

Next I need to rate my stats 1/2/3/4/4 in any order, with higher being better.

Edge 1
Funky 4
Bean 3
Big 4
Heart 2

And there's a chart for the HogMaster (GM) to roll on to generate a plot, so of course I'm going to do that!

The main antagonist is...
An apocalyptic monster.
The setting is...
A drama-laden high school.

Hmm, the main antagonist seems a bit extreme for the setting. Maybe it's an apocalyptic monster who just wants to fit in and get invited to the big party and/or asked to the school dance.

Character 21 will be for Quest for the Belt: The Fantasy Fighting Federation. This is another legitimately one-page game. The Fantasy Fighting Federation is very much like pro wrestling, except that the fighters are from various fantasy races and the outcomes are not predetermined.

Roll for race: I got 7, which means Elf, and makes me good at high-flying moves.

Roll 1d6 for each stat:

Attack 2. That's gonna suck!
Defense 5. That should help a bit.
Movement 2. Damn.
Stamina 6.

So my elf fighter isn't much good at attacking or moving, but he's good at defending and has a lot of stamina. That will probably make for some long matches. These stats don't really reflect a high-flyer...

Anyway, time to roll on the drama tables to see what drama I get into before the fights to stir up crowd interest:

My teammate is my next fight. Classic!

And my dude's name will be... Zoople Dorfenberger. Done!

Day 21 - Monster of the Week

Name: Adam Jones Playbook: The Snoop

Man, Short Body, Safari Wear

Charm+2, Cool=0, Sharp+1, Tough=0, Weird=0

Moves

I'm A Reporter!: When you investigate a mystery by talking to witnesses, interviewing locals, or anything else requiring interpersonal skills, roll +Charm instead of +Sharp.

The Mojo Wire: When you read all the current news feeds looking for the weird and crazy stuff, take +1 forward.

Relaxed Producer: You're employed, with a regular pay check and little or no oversight. As long as you send in a story every few days, no matter how bizarre, you're set. Every now and again they'll send you somewhere in particular, and when that happens it usually involves supernatural activity. Unless they need human interest, in which case it will be a kitten show or agricultural fair or something.

Equipment:

Digital Video Camera
SLR Camera
Casette Recorder
Ouija board
Compass
Knife (1-harm hand hidden)

Background: Adam writes the "You Won't Believe It" column for the local newspaper. Sometimes he gets to go and investigate actual supernatural things. Other times he writes about vegetables that are amusingly genitalia shaped.

Let's take Hearts & Souls for a different direction try and stat an old High Valor character

Signy Runolfdottir of Fyfrhor Clan

Drive: Duty

Might: Spectacular Human
Agility: Exceptional Human
Toughness: Spectacular Human
Intellect: Exceptional Human
Knowledge: Exceptional Human
Resolve: Spectacular Human

Powers:
Heart of Iron and Bones of Stone: Signy has Average Superhuman resistant to physical blunt attacks or Spectacular to Edged ones (but not cold, heat, fire or similar)
Signy carries the Mace, Shieldsunder and Shield, Swordturner. These two items are named and have a legend attached giving them weight in
play (allowing her to do Average Superhuman damage to supernatural creatures, and resist such beings with the same resilience) against normal mortals
they act appropriately to scale with her strength and agility.

Signy was a tunnel warden who guarded the Fyrhor's main hold from assault. However, she has chosen to seek more adventure as a mercenary with the Yrondottr's recently hired by High King Taidgh to fight back against the Fane-Lords' creatures which have managed to escape and hide in the Free Kingdoms after Daralgul fell.

Ultimately not as finely tuned or detailed as a High Valor character but still functional. Obviously H&S works better for supers, even just un-powered masked crimefighters.

Attachments

• 308a87ea436266e3bb9144c9ffa12b0b.jpg
    308a87ea436266e3bb9144c9ffa12b0b.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 0
For character 22, I will be using Micro RPG Basic. I was a little bummed out reading character creation when I saw that it uses the typical D&D stats, until I realized it only uses four of them, not the usual six! This makes me very happy, especially because the two they dropped, Wisdom and Constitution, are the dumbest ones in my not-so-humble opinion.

I'm also happy that the game offers three different methods for generating stats- dice rolling, card drawing, or point buy. I'll go with point buy because I've always liked the idea of point buy games. I've got 15 points to distribute amongst the stats. None can be higher than 6 or lower than 1.

Strength 3
Agility 3
Charisma 6
Intelligence 3

Next, choose a Specialty Class from the options Fighter, Runner, Entertainer, or Scholar. My guy is a fast-talking stand-up comedian who keeps the marks distracted with razzle-dazzle while his compatriots pull off heists, all for the greater good, of course. Being an Entertainer gives Nicky Diamond +1 to Charisma.

Next step is to choose your occupation, with GM approval. Well, I already said he's a stand-up comedian, so I'll stick with that. Your occupation gives you +1 to one stat of your choice, as long as the GM agrees that it's logical. Well, it takes a fair bit of thought to write effective comedy, IMO, so stand-up comedian will give Nicky +1 to Intelligence.

Then roll dice for starting wealth. I did well here, ending up with 240! Yay! The game suggests buying equipment, including at least one weapon, but there isn't any specific equipment and/or weapon list here. It suggests finding gear in other Micro RPG books. I'm going to skip getting a physical weapon, because Nicky's main weapon is his fast-talking mouth!

Next there's a formula for Hit Points, and I get 11.

Finally, this is one of the games that actually does tell you to name your character! I already did, Nicky Diamond, as noted above.

It's still the 21st here, but I know it's already the 22nd where some of the Pubbers live, so I'll go ahead and post this guy.

Edit: I enjoyed character creation for this game, but the phrasing of the combat section of the book is a bit confusing, so I'm not sure I'm sold on the whole game. It really could have used some examples.

Last edited:
Day #21
CyborgGladiators (Action! System)

RaceKisa
Strength2
Reflexes8
Health3
Mind2
Natural WeaponsClaws,Fangs
Species Powersnight vision
Life15
Evade18
Toughness5
Maim8
Daze5
Move6
Skill Points4
Skills
Marksman
Unarmed Combat
Archery
Throwing
Cybernetics
Bionic Legs (2)+2 move, +2 str w leg, +2 tough to leg atts
Targeting Eye+1 ranged attacks
Laser Eye+1 tohit with laser pistol eye
Bionic Earsnot surprised att from behind

Day 22:

Nath the Lean Mage
(GURPS 4th fantasy build)

So last year there was this thread on some forum somewhere where it was asserted that it was impossible to bring in a viable mage in GURPS 4th for less than 175 pts or so. Thinking that was arrant bullshit, I claimed that not only could I do so on a meager 100 pts, I would post the result in fifteen minutes ... start your watches, gentlefolk. This was the result.

ST: 10; DX: 10; IQ: 13; HT: 10

ADVANTAGES: Comfortable, Magery+2, Rank+1 / Journeyman mage, Signature Gear / 13-pt Powerstone ring, Social Regard: Respected, Status+1 / wizard

DISADVANTAGES: Code of Honor (Professional), Duty / College of Mages, 6-, Laziness, Pacifism: Self-defense only, Reduced Speed+3

SKILLS: Area Knowledge-13; Artist (embellishments)-13, Chess-13; Meditation-12; Merchant-12; Occultism-13; Religious Ritual-11; Research-13; Savoir-Faire-13; Teaching-13; Thaumatology-13

GRIMOIRE: Alarm-13, Clean-14, Copy-14, Daze-15, Dye-13, Enchant-13, Ignite Fire-14, Lend Energy-14, Persuasion-13, Powerstone-15, Rejoin-13, Repair-13, Restore-13, Sense Emotion-13, Shape Glass-13, Shape Metal-13, Shape Wood-14, Wizardly Workshop-14

QUIRKS: Genuinely pious, Likes little birdies, Puffs pipe while talking, Something of a pinch-silver.

Obviously an artisan mage, he's not so much by way of making things as in taking your stuff, fixing it up and putting fancy curlicues and the like into it. He doesn't have a high enough Enchant level to enchant things; that's there as a prerequisite for Powerstone, so he can crank those out for sale.

Character 23 will be something a little different. One of the long-forgotten items in my DTRPG library is a system-agnostic Kaiju generator. Let's give that a whirl!

First you roll a d20 for Kaiju type, and then a d4 for subtype.

Type: Insect/Arachnid
Subtype: Beetle

I was kinda hoping for spider, since I've watched several movies about giant spiders lately, but beetles have cool shells, so I'm okay with it.

Next there's a combination of tables on which you roll to get your Kaiju's name.

Alien Dragoda.

Hmm, that would be a good name for a dragon-esque Kaiju, but I don't like it much as the name of a giant beetle. I'll try again.

Mogur Beast.

I don't know what, if anything, Mogur means, so sure, I'll stick with that.

Finally, there's a table to roll for four Kaiju Quirks. And I roll

Robotic Components
Rocky Exterior
Horns
Fog

One dark day, the Great Mogur Beast came from somewhere in outer space. Once its self-emitted fog cleared, the people could see that a giant Horny Beetle was crushing their cities. This wasn't just any giant Horny Beetle, though. It didn't just have a regular hard beetle shell. Instead, it had a nigh-impenetrable rocky exterior. If the Great Mogur Beast stood still, it could conceivably be mistaken for a mountain. Yet, when the Great Mogur Beast spread its wings, the careful observer could see that, at some demented point in the past, some madman, or more likely mad alien, had replaced damaged bits of Mogur with robotic components. Not only was the world threatened by a giant Horny Beetle, it was threatened by a giant Cyborg Horny Beetle! May God have mercy on us all.

That was pretty fun. At some point, I may stat this guy up in an actual system.

Day 22: Madhouse

Name: Sarah Cole
Concept: Celebrity Stalker

Perks: Unassuming (2)

Whether introverted or traumatized, this character tends to stay quiet. Most of the asylum staff treat her more like a piece of furniture than an actual person, which has its benefits when it comes to avoiding attention.

Twice per session when this character makes a Composure or Stealth Skill Roll, she may add +2k2 to her dice pool. Unfortunately, she finds it difficult to draw attention to herself when needed and suffers a +5 TN penalty to Persuasion and Subterfuge Skill Rolls made to convince staff members to react to a perceived threat.

Strength: 2
Agility: 3
Toughness: 2
Perception: 3
Intellect: 2
Will: 2

Defense: 22
Conviction: 15
Notice: 26
Health Boxes: 4
Speed: 30

Skills:

Evasion: 1
Stealth: 2
Investigate: 3
Scrutiny: 1
Persuasion: 1
Subterfuge: 1

Techniques

Obsessive Search: When this character fails an Investigate (Perception) Skill Roll, she may Push to reroll it, even if she Pushed on the initial Skill Roll. This Technique can only be used once per Skill Roll.

Disorder: Class One Obsessive

Fixation

This character has intense obsessive qualities and is prone to fixating on specific people. This might manifest in attempting to make herself look more like the subject of her obsession, or perhaps she simply wishes to spend her every waking moment with that person, confident that they feel the same way about her. Either way, this character's attentions are more alarming than reassuring.

At the start of each session, this character must choose someone to be the target of her fixation. The target must be known to this character, but they do not have to be present when this character fixates upon them. This character gains +1k0 to any Skill Rolls that involve the target of her fixation.

On her turn, this character may Push to change the target of her fixation to another character that she can see. She may only do so one per turn.

At the end of any scene in which this character made a target of her fixation feel uncomfortable, she Stabilizes.

Background: Born into a comfortable middle class family, Sarah took her parent's divorce at the age of 13 very hard. She suppressed her feelings by plunging headfirst into celebrity culture. The posters on her wall were her friends and her only confidants. As time went on her feelings increased and she started stalking celebrities in real life. This culminated in her being found in the garden of her favourite actor, claiming that he'd asked her to come over and visit. She was found unfit to plead and committed to Lockwood Asylum.

Generally Sarah is quiet and nice, easily overlooked. Unless you're her latest fixation, where her behaviour quickly crosses the line into creepy.

Day 22: The Black Hack, 2nd Edition

If you're unfamiliar with Black Hack, the only thing that may look strange in the write-up that follows is the dice notation "Ud6" and the like. This is a notation for Black Hack's usage dice mechanic. Ud6 in this case would be a usage die that starts at 1d6. When you use it, roll the die indicated and on a 1 or 2, you downgrade it to the next lower die type (1d4 in this example).

Also, because I rolled a 1 for my starting HP, the rule book allowed me to roll on a magic items table to obtain an additional magical starter item.

The rest of the write-up should look familiar to any D&D or OSR player.

Name: Anja Kuusela
Class: Wizard

Str 7
Dex 10
Con 9
Wis 11
Int 15
Cha 10

HD 1d4 HP 1
Attack dmg 1d4
Coin 9

Gear:
Cloth robes [AV 1]
coin purse
bent oak staff
short sword
a void creature's egg
Sun drill - a small masonry drill, any hole made with it lets a beam of sunlight through

Spellbook:
Charm(1) - A Nearby NPC or Monster obeys a simple command and will perform a simple Action.
Magic missile(1) - A Faraway or Distant target takes 1d6 damage for each of the Spellcaster’s Levels.
Shield(1) - Gives the caster Arcane Mail (AV2) - when each Armour Die is Broken it’s gone for good.
Web(2) - Traps a Nearby area, stopping movement - lasts Ud6 Minutes.

Motivation roll (Mythic) = Praise + Emotions:
Constantly feeling undervalued and overlooked, she craves the recognition and even adoration for the deeds she does.

Background: Anja fought alongside the freedom fighters in far away Trudel. They lost, but but thanks to her charm and skilled use diplomacy, she got the Lord and rulers there to agree to clemency for the people. She herself was exiled back to her own lands.

Day 21 (Delayed): Swords and Wizardry, Frog God Games

Name: Lindal Brushbarrel
Race: Halfling
Class: Fighter
Level: 1
Alignment: Lawful

Strength: 11
Intelligence: 9
Wisdom: 9
Dexterity: 12
Constitution: 11
Charisma: 13 (+1 bonus)

Hit Points: 7
Armor Class: 14/13 without shield
Saving Throw: 14
XP Bonus: +5% (charisma bonus)
Base Hit Bonus: +0 melee/+1 ranged

Languages: Common
Class Abilities: Multiple Attacks (<1 HD)
Racial Abilities: +4 to saves vs spells, +1 to ranged attacks

Gear: Short Bow, 20 Arrows, Short Sword, Dagger, Ring Mail, Shield, Backpack, 5 Days of Dried Rations, 2 Waterskins, Bedroll, Tent, Flint and Steel, 5 gp

Backstory: Lindal is among the more capable warriors in his bucolic halfling village. While not the strongest, toughest, or fastest, he can hold his own, and moreover, is an excellent leader, which often makes him responsible for organizing the village's defenses. For a long time, this was a rather dull activity, as there were rarely any threats to deal with. Recently, though, the area around the village has been plagued with raiding bandits, wandering undead, and worse things still. As such, the village elders have chosen Lindal to venture forth and recruit adventurers to help the halflings deal with the growing threats, and determine what is causing them.

Day 21

Okay, catching up. Sticking with SUPERS! Revised just because I'm pressed for time and I know it so well. I've got some more characters for the Freedom Society campaign that I've been posting for recently (Arachnid and company, but they are not my OWN characters, so I don't have super clear memories of them). For that reason, I'm moving on to another big superhero campaign that we ran several years later. We ran this one in Heroes Unlimited (because the group I switched to didn't like Champions).

So, I'm going to work up stats for my first character for that campaign ...

Paladin (25D)

ORIGIN: Mutant

RESISTANCES (8D)
Composure 3D, Fortitude 4D, Reaction 2D, Will 3D

APTITUDES (3D)
Academics 2D, Fighting 2D (More Hand to Hand 3D Than Weapons 1D), Investigation 2D

POWERS (17D)
Armor 3D, Energy Control 5D (Boost: Area 2D), Flight 3D, Super Strength 4D

DISADVANTAGES (-3D)
Secret Identity (Stewart Stevens) 1D, Driven to Serve and Protect 1D, Enemy (Dr. Ramanathan) 1D

BACKGROUND: Stewart's father, John Stevens, was a police officer, and a good one. He made a name for himself when he uncovered and took down a criminal syndicate that was manufacturing and peddling drugs that granted temporary superpowers to anybody who took it. During that caper, he was exposed to fumes that altered his genetic make-up. Consequently, Stewart was born with superpowers. When they manifested, John and his wife, Mary, helped Stewart keep his powers secret and taught him how to control them by enrolling him in martial arts classes. Unfortunately, when Stewart was 10 years old, his father was murdered by crooked cops who were in bed with the same criminal syndicate that had been peddling the superpowered drugs so many years before. Stewart grew up with the memory of his heroic father in mind. After college, he returned to his hometown to work as a reporter and to use his powers to serve his fellow citizens and to support good police officers like his father.

So, this is a higher-powered campaign than the other. The last set of characters was a 200 point Champions campaign, so I went with 20D characters. This campaign is based on 25D. In both cases, I always give 5D extra in Competency Dice.

All the best,

TGIDragonfly

Last edited:
Please tell me more about this character and the system. :happy:
The setting is pretty simple. An alien race has found four planets it likes to abduct people from for their gladiator games. (Humans, Cat People, Bug People, Reptile People). Then for fun they augment them with cybernetics. Based on how augmented they are they fit into different classes for more appropriate matchups.

The system I've never used. It sure was simple to make a character. Allocate I think 16 or 20 pts for characteristics. Allocate a small number of points on skills(skill points derive from stats).

The character is a felinoid. I envisioned her as a hunter who is excellent at ranged attacks and ok close up. Her eyes have been replaced to improve targeting and make sure she always has a ranged attack. Her ears keep her from being surprised. Her legs are upgraded to keep her moving fast and able to attack from range.

I probable should have named her.
Kr'mal

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back