Character Creation Challenge 2022

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Cool. It'll give me a reason to look @ all those untouched systems in my DTRPG library.

So, say I'd been living under a rock or in a cave for a year, what exactly is the challenge?

It's just making a character in any system you want and posting it in the thread. The goal is to do a new one every day of the month, but many don't manage that, which is totally fine. Check out the link from the first post in this thread to see the 2021 version.

In fairness most of my games are super light nowadays which is why I might still be able to do something
I don't dock points for doing two characters one day to make up a missed day but you only get the bonus for doin all 30 characters.

I'm considering using something Lasers and Feelings to do the whole bridge crew of the Enterprise (which version I'm not sure).

Edit: I may also use Mork Borg to do deathpunk versions of the LotR fellowship.

I think I would like to give this a go. Sounds like it could produce some interesting things.

Well, it's the morning of January 1st here, so here we go. Since The Fantasy Trip was the first role playing game I played, back in 1993, I figure I'll start with that one. It's a point buy system too so a little more work than starting with a random roll one (we'll get to those).

First up comes choosing, race, class, gender and name. For race, a normal human, as that's what I like in most games. TFT only has two classes, Hero and Wizard. Wizards have an easier time learning spells and can use magic staves, while Heroes have an easier time learning most skills. That's the only difference. I consider choosing a Wizard, but it's early and I didn't get a lot of sleep and a Wizard is slightly more complicated to make (but only slightly) so I choose a Hero. I'll make him a male and call him Ramlek, a typical fantasy name.

Ramlek the human male mercenary veteran

Ok, so to be able to hold down the job mercenary veteran, a character needs to know three weapon talents, Unarmed Combat I, Alertness and Diplomacy.
The three stats are Strength (ST), Dexterity (DX) and Intelligence (IQ), to anyone familiar with GURPS it's basically the same stat except Health is part of Strength. They all start at 8 for humans, with an additional 8 points to spend across them. There's also Movement Allowance (MA), which is always 10 for humans, modified for what armor you're wearing and if you have the Running Talent. Dividing the points, this is what I end up with.

ST 11 (Needed to handle better weapons, and is also HP)
DX 11 (needed for hit rolls)
IQ 10 (needed to know Unarmed Combat I and Diplomacy)
MA 10 (no mods yet)

I get one Talent point per point of IQ, so a total of ten. The skills cost different amounts, I'll list the Talent cost in brackets. Talents also require a certain minimal IQ level to learn. The weapon talents are all at IQ 7 or 8, while Alertness requires IQ 9 and UC I and Diplomacy IQ 10. So, I need three weapon talents. I choose three basic ones, Knife (1), Sword (1, since I already know Knife) and Shield (1). That makes a competent warrior, although limited to swords, knives and shields. Then I choose the other required talents, namely Alertness (2), Diplomacy (1) and Unarmed Combat I (1). Okay, so this makes Ramlek more likely to pick up on details, notice traps or ambushes and scout. Very useful for a mercenary. Diplomacy allows you to talk with hostile groups without a penalty on the reaction roll, useful when negotiating to switch employers in the middle of an ongoing conflict I suppose. Unarmed Combat, well at this level it lets you do more damage with your unarmed attacks. Ok, at this point I've spent 7 of my 10 allotted Talent points. To round out Ramlek I buy Recognize Value (1), letting him figure out what stuff is valuable when looting, Horsemanship (1), letting him ride and perhaps function as a light cavalryman, and finally Swimming (1) just in case he ends up in the drink.

Alright, time for equipment. New characters in TFT get 1000$ worth of assets. Ramlek is a mercenary so we don't have to worry about land or a house. He spends his life on the move. First, the tools of the trade. The shortsword is the best weapon Ramlek can use (requiring Sword skill and a ST of 11), and it costs 60$ while doing 2 dice minus 1 points of ST damage on a hit. A dagger for close quarters work is also good to have, so there goes another 10$. Armor lowers your DX in TFT, and since the system uses a 3D6 roll equal or under resolution system, I don't want to lower it below 10, or 50% chance of hitting. Therefore, I'll get Ramlek cloth armor (likely a gambeson) and a small shield. Each stops 1 hit, although the shield only works against attacks from the front, but doesn't penalize DX. The cloth costs 50$ and the shield 30$. So, after buying weapons and armor, I've used 150$. Plenty of money left. Next I buy some essentials. A Labyrinth kit (a small pouch with 10 yards of rope, a hooked grapnel, a collapsible 6-foot pole, flint and steel, a hammer and five spikes) for 30$, a small belt pouch for 5$, a backpack for 40$, a waterskin for 2$, two sets of middle class clothing (50$ per set, 100$ total), a lantern (20$) and 4 quarts of oil (20$ each, total 80$). All this comes out to 277$. Added to the 150 for weapons and armor, I've spent a total of 427$. There's still a lot of money left. Not enough to buy a trained horse though. Horses are expensive. Instead, I'll buy two doses of Healing potion (heals 1 hit each) for 150$ per dose, total 300$, So now we've spent 727$, leaving Ramlek with savings of 273$. Cost of living is from 20$ a week, probably more as Ramlek is unlikely to be thrifty with his money. So Ramlek has enough money to get by on for maybe two months, but that's about it. Time to get to adventuring.

Final write up

Ramlek
ST 11
DX 11 (10)
IQ 10
MA 10

Talents: Knife (1), Sword (1, since I already know Knife), Shield (1), Alertness (2), Diplomacy (1), Unarmed Combat I (1), , Recognize Value (1), Horsemanship (1), Swimming (1).

Weapons and armor: Shortsword (2d-1), Dagger (1D-1/1D+1), Cloth Armor (1), Small Shield (1)

Equipment: Labyrinth kit, small belt pouch, backpack, waterskin, two sets of middle class clothing, lantern, 4 quarts of oil, 2 doses Healing potion, 273$.

Mirowyn the Grey (GURPS character)

(With a tip of the cap towards Ursula Vernon for her vivid character Slate from her Clocktaur War books, the inspiration here.)

“Miri” lives in the national capitol, in the po’ part of town, where she lives as quiet a life as she can manage ... and, incidentally, works as the most renowned forger of official documents around. Her skills as a burglar pay the bills when there’s no forging work to be had, but only to that degree – she doesn’t see herself as a “thief,” particularly, and dislikes the complications inherent in the trade. Not particularly attractive, not particularly personable, and with just enough weapon skills not to be liability in a brawl, Miri prefers by far to blend into a crowd than to talk, finesse or fight her way out of trouble.

This is made easier – to a point – by an unusual trait, one she believes she has from her hedge-witch grandmother. While Miri suffers from allergies generally, if trouble looms, or if there’s something the Fates believe she needs to pay particular attention to, the smell of cinnamon fills her nostrils. The stronger the situation, the stronger the smell is, and it can be overpowering to a near-debilitating degree, causing her eyes to water and potentially sending her into a sneezing fit. It’s less reliable when dealing with things she ought to pay attention to (hence the activation cost on Intuition), but it doesn’t trigger in vain. Given her allergies, she’s developed a dislike of cinnamon.

ST 9, DX 12, IQ 13, HT 11

Advantages:
Base, Danger Sense *, Forgettable Face, Intuition (-12 or less) *, Reputation+2/as a master forger, criminals and the underclass, all the time.

Disadvantages: Code of Honor (Criminal), Enemy (mob boss, -6 or less), Minor Medical Ailment (chronic nasal allergies), Social Stigma/underclass, Unluckiness

Skills: Administration-15; Area Knowledge (local city)-14; Artist (calligraphy)-13; Brawling-13; Climbing-13; Courtesan-12; Current Affairs-14; Disguise-12; Engraver-14; Escape-12; Fast-Talk-12; Filch-12; First Aid-13; Forgery-17; Knife-13; Law (criminal)-12; Lockpicking-14; Observation-13; Search-13; Sleight of Hand-12, Stealth-13; Streetwise-14; Thrown Weapon: Knife-13; Traps-12

Quirks: Deliberately colorless, Hates riding, Likes to tweak metaphoric tails, Reflexively patient, Dislikes cinnamon.

Commentary: She forged the papers that ruined a mob boss’ chance at a title and a noble wedding, and while she wasn’t the instigator – being hired to do it – nor has been proven to be the culprit, the boss is convinced that no one else could’ve done the job, and is out to make a brutal example of her.

Minor Medical Ailment is a houserule disad of mine for, well, minor and intermittent medical issues I don’t feel reach the level of Chronic Pain. Make a roll vs HT per game session/game-day (whichever comes first); failure inflicts penalties consonant with the problem for 1d6 hours. They can also be triggered by stress or by exposure to precipitating factors: a mild gout attack, for instance, that could impose -1 DX/-1 Speed, could trigger through eating a lot of rich food. In Miri’s case, strong smells could set her allergies off, including the usual suspects like freshly mown hay, springtime pollen, a smoke-filled room, etc.

The Administration skill is less by way of Miri being able to get around bureaucracy – her station and lack of people skills mitigate against that – as that she’s extremely familiar with most official and government documents, the style in which they’re written, the functionaries who’d need to sign them, the types of paper and seals needful for them, and how and where she might obtain them; she could, of course, adequately advise a more charismatic PC. Likewise the Courtesan skill: her mother was a high-priced courtesan, and the skill reflect’s Miri’s familiarity with the trade rather than particular talent as one herself.

This is built on a beginning point cost for a Fantasy character; the Vernon character is experienced, but wouldn't come in for all that many more points.

Day 1 - Unhallowed Metropolis

Name: Corporal Addie Coleman Sex: Male Calling: Deathwatch Soldier

Prowess: 6
Wealth: 2

Vitality: 4
Coordination: 3
Wit: 4
Intellect: 2
Will: 3
Charm: 1

Features

Familiarity: Animate – A Deathwatch Soldier never makes a Will – Fear roll due to being in the presence of an animate.

Bullet to the Brain: The character has extensively trained to shoot at a target’s head, the surest means of destroying a zombie. As a result of the repeated shooting drills targeting this area, the character does not suffer an attack roll modifier when making a ranged attack with a firearm targeting the head location

Hold Off: Animates invariably grapple victims before attempting to bite them, and some Deathwatch Soldiers become adept at continuing to block bite attempts and other attacks, even when held. Unlike other characters, the soldier can parry while being grappled, unless his arms are pinned, but he still cannot dodge or make other evasive manoeuvres.

Keen Eyed: Few details escape the soldier’s keen eyes. The character is able to reroll failed Wit – Perception rolls. Each failed roll can be rerolled only once as a result of Keen Eyed.

Plague Resistance – The character has developed an unusual resistance to the effects of the Plague. The character receives a +2 bonus to Vitality rolls to avoid infection by the Plague. This bonus does not apply to any other diseases.

Wrench Free: Animates are at their most dangerous when a victim has been grappled, so some DSF soldiers train extensively in techniques for breaking free from them. The character gains a +3 bonus to contested Vitality + Unarmed Combat rolls to break free from grapples.

Qualities

Able Bodied - The character is in excellent health. He heals quickly and is seldom ill. The character recovers lost Vitality at double the normal rate. Additionally, he gains +2 on Vitality rolls to avoid contracting diseases and other ailments

Resolve - The character has become accustomed to the horrors of the Neo-Victorian world and possesses a steely resolve. When the character fails a Will – Fear roll, he is shaken but does not make a second roll

NCO Rank - The character is a corporal. He commands a single section including a lance corporal second-in-command and six privates.

Light Sleeper - The character is very light sleeper. Any noise at all will instantly awaken him to a fully alert state. The character is no easier to sneak up on while asleep than he is when he is awake.

Impediments

Penal Corps Soldier - Condemned rightly or wrongly to serving the duration of his prison sentence as part of the DSF Penal Corps, the character finds himself sent into near-suicidal engagements against animates as an expendable asset. The character is given the bare minimum of equipment and training necessary, and he must purchase Melee Weapon 1, Rifle 1, and Unarmed Combat 1 if he does not already possesses them. The unfortunate individual also suffers from the corps’ poor military reputation, enduring a −2 penalty to Charm – Credibility rolls with Deathwatch veterans and DSF personnel.

Poor - The character begins the game less economically secure than most characters with his Calling.

Illiterate - The character never learned to read and write. Illiteracy is all too common among the lower classes, who have few opportunities to attend school. Except in the case of severe learning disabilities, illiteracy is virtually unheard of among the higher classes

Skills

Artillery 2, Demolitions 2, Melee Weapon 3, Pistol 2, Rifle 3, Survival 4, Thrown Weapon 2, Unarmed Combat 2, Gambling 1, Ryhming Slang 3, Streetwise 2, Galvanics 1, Shadow 1, Lockpicking 1

Melee Stunts

Free Parry: The character may make one parry each round without spending a combat action (see Parry, page 165). After making a free parry, the character cannot make another free parry until after his next turn.

Deadly Skill: When making Melee Weapon damage rolls, the character can use his Melee Weapon Skill rank in place of his Vitality Attribute. If the character’s Vitality is equal to or higher than his Melee Weapon Skill, instead of using the Melee Weapon Skill rank, add 1 to the damage roll in addition to the character’s Vitality.

Preferred Weapon (Knife): The character may choose a specific weapon covered by the Skill with which this Stunt is associated to be his preferred weapon. When attacking with a preferred weapon, the character gets +1 to attack rolls. When using a preferred weapon to parry, the character gets +1 to parry rolls. Potential preferred weapons are listed in parenthesis next to the Stunt under each Skill. This list of preferred weapons is not exhaustive, and players may select weapons not listed with the Narrator’s consent

Pistol Stunts

Night Fighter: Ignore attack modifiers for poor visibility when making attacks with this Skill.

Fast Draw: The character can draw a weapon governed by the Skill with which this stunt is associated without spending an action. If the character uses Fast Draw to pull a weapon during the first round of combat, he gains a +3 bonus to his initiative roll

Rifle Stunts

Night Fighter

Sniper: A character with this Stunt ignores range penalties when making an attack with the Skill with which this Stunt is associated. The maximum range of a weapon is unaffected

Snap Reaction: If the character has a held action, he can pre-empt an action made by a character with a lower initiative score to make an attack with a weapon using the Skill with which this Stunt is associated. Once a slower character declares an intended action, the character with Snap Reaction can make one attack before the slower character acts. The character with Snap Reaction must havev his weapon drawn to use this Stunt.

Thrown Stunts

Improvisation: The character does not suffer −2 on attack rolls when throwing unbalanced objects

Night Fighter

Unarmed Stunts

Breakout: The character may attempt to break free from a grapple once per turn without spending an action.

Ground Fighting: The DR of attacks targeting the character while he is knocked down is not reduced to 11. If the character is aware of combat, the DR for attacks targeting him remains 11 + his Coordination.

Affliction

Killer Instinct

Your overpowering ambition or obsession has rendered you inhumanly callous. Life has lost all value to you. People are merely obstacles to your ambition or raw material for your experiments. You may feign interest for short periods of time to satisfy your physical needs, but life is cheap and you can always find another pawn. If you are crossed, you are compelled to destroy the offending party. Though killing may be distasteful, it is often the most expedient means to your ends.

Rating 1: You appear calm and cool. You seldom do favours for others unless asked, and then only if there is something in it for you. Though you are viewed as a consummate professional by your superiors, your co-workers find you callous.

Armour 3 in all locations, -1 Coordination

Kramer 2013 rifle, Westgate Executioner pistol, bayonet, skull crusher knife, three explosive grenades, four extra clips of sidearm ammunition, box of rifle shells, Firearm Cleaning kit

£1, 10s

Background:

Arguably Addie never really stood a chance in life. His childhood of petty theft and street brawls was not only usual for someone from the area he grew up, it was possibly inevitable. But he was unlucky enough to be caught at a time of tabloid outrage and a government push for law and order. And so he found himself sentenced to "do his duty" as a member of the Deathwatch Penal Colony, out in the Wastelands fighting the Animates.

And where so many of his fellow prisoners have fallen, Addie has somehow survived. His survival instinct is second to none, caring about little else than returning back to lockup every day. He's been promoted to Corporal due to his competence in the field. What isn't known is the fact that two of his regimental collegues who failed to return (both men who'd fallen out with Addie) weren't killed by animates.

He only has one year of his sentence left to serve. Realistically, he'll probably end up enlisting in the Deathwatch proper when the time comes. By now he knows no other life.

Notes:

Even those unfamiliar with the system can probably spot that Addie is absolutely lethal. Especially against animates, but he has enough crossover ability to be almost as deadly against humans. (Headshots at extreme range in bad light conditions with no penalty to rolls!). This isn't deliberate minmaxing on my part; Unhallowed Metropolis' archetype system leads naturally to this kind of character).

Obviously, he's a bit niche and would only really fit as a PC into a specifically military campaign. Or he'd make a good NPC; either as an untrustworthy ally or a very scary antagonist.

Mr. Morpheus, aka Dr. Morpheus
Popularity: 5/15
Resources: Good
F GD (10)
A TY (6)
S TY (6)
E EX (20)
R RM (30)
I RM (30)
P IN (40)
Health: 42

Power(s)
Magic: Dr. Morpheus can utilize a unique form of dream magic. He can cast numerous spells, though the most common ones are below.

Dream Travel: AM ability to enter dreams and visit the worlds created by the dreamer as if it were a pocket dimension, they can interact with objects, but cannot change environmental and similar conditions in the dream. (They can be harmed by creatures/persons as well as defend themselves by attack back, however)

Dream Manifestation: IN ability to manifest objects and creatures from dreams in the real world, particularly those drawn from nightmares.

Telapathy: RM

Flight: IN

Talents:
Psychology
Medicine (Psychiatry)

Contacts:
Medical

Marvel Saga
Edge/Hand: 2/4
STR: 4
AGL: 5
-Aerial combat
INT: 8
-Psychiatry
-Medicine
-Occult
WILL: 11
-Mesmirism
-Trance

Powers:
Magic (Dream-focused): 11
-Summoning
-Travel
Flight: 8
Telepathy: 13

H&S
Drive: Love of Humanity (Healer)
Might: Average Human
Agility: Exceptional Human
Toughness: Exceptional Human
Intellect: Spectacular Human
Knowledge: Exceptional Human
Resolve: Average Superhuman

Powers:
Dream Magic: Exceptional Superhuman ability to visit, control, and manifest nightmares and dreams.
Flight: Average Superhuman speeds
Telepathy: Exceptional Superhuman mental communication

mr__morpheus_by_silverlion_d8rju5q-fullview.jpg

With fond memories of my early adventure playing D&D I will reproduce here my first ever character - Zargon the Fighter. I found the Moldvay box in my attic when I was 9 or 10, and this was the result...

Zargon - Fighter Lvl 1

STR 18/+3/+10%
DEX 13/+1/-1
CON 17/+2
INT 5
WIS 12
CHA 6
/-1/3/6

HP: 9
AC: 1
AL: Law
Coin: 0
XP: 0

Equipment: Platemail, Shield, Sword, Dagger, Backpack, 50' Rope, Iron Spikes (12), Torches (6), Tinder Box, Iron Rations (1 wk), Waterskin

So equipped, Zargon sallied forth first to the Keep, and from there into the dreaded Caves of Chaos.

Happy 2022 everyone! I'll start with an old standby -- a human fighter for D&D. FWIW, I will use the default character creation method for every character I post, unless otherwise noted, and start them all at first level or whatever is the equivalent for that game.

Day 1: D&D 5th Edition, Wizards of the Coast

Korbobius (or "Bob" to his friends)
Human Male Fighter, Level 1
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Strength 16
Dexterity 16
Constitution 16
Intelligence 11
Wisdom 14
Charisma 12

Hit Points 13
Proficiency Bonus +2
Initiative Bonus +3
Armor Class 21 with shield/20 without shield

Proficiencies: All Armor, Shields, Simple Weapons, Martial Weapons, Gambling Dice, Vehicles (Land)
Saving Throws: +5 Str, +3 Dex, +5 Con, +0 Int, +2 Wis, +1 Cha
Skills: Animal Handling +4, Athletics +5, Intimidation +3, Perception +4
Class Features: Fighting Style (Dueling), Second Wind
Languages: Common

Background: Infantry Soldier (Background Feature: Military Rank)
Trait: Crude sense of humor
Ideal: Independence
Bond: Those who fight beside him are worth dying for
Flaw: Little respect for anyone who is not a proven warrior

Equipment: Chainmail, Shield, Longsword, Flail, Dagger, Light Crossbow, 20 Bolts, Explorer's Pack, Set of Bone Dice, Trophy (dragon claw), Set of Common Clothing, Pouch, Glass Chess Knight, Cart, Draft Horse ("Stoney"), Sergeant's Rank Insignia, 33 gp

Physical Description: Mid-20's human male, shoulder length dark brown hair, tanned skin, green eyes, 6'0" and 210 lbs with a muscular build

Backstory: Korbobius left his childhood home village about eight years ago to join up with a mercenary company, the Brethren of the Blue Spear, who sought recruits. He served with them throughout a number of human-dominated lands as they moved from one patron to the next, and was soon promoted to the rank of Sergeant. While generally affable, though, his coarseness and humble origins made his superiors feel he was unsuitable officer material, and moreover, Korbobius sometimes found the group's leadership too amoral for his liking. As such, he realized that he had advanced about as far as he was going to within the company. Eventually, when it came time to renew his enlistment, he declined and chose to go his own way as an independent adventurer and blade-for-hire.

Day #1
System: Hero 5th Edition - Champions
I'll start off an update to one of my first 2nd edition Champions characters. I used the 1st edition of Hero Designer I picked up in a thrift store for $2 to rebuild him. Pretty straight forward Alien with eye powers. Later he turned evil and became one of the founding members of a supervillian organization in my home campaign.

Name: Vigis
Player: Bunch

Val
Char
Base
Cost
23/28​
STR
10​
13​
26​
DEX
10​
48​
28​
CON
10​
36​
18/19​
BODY
10​
16​
12​
INT
10​
2​
10​
EGO
10​
0​
28​
PRE
10​
18​
9​
COM
10​
0​
20​
PD
5​
0​
15​
ED
6​
4​
6​
SPD
3.6​
24​
11​
REC
11​
0​
56​
END
56​
0​
44/45​
STUN
44​
0​
6"​
RUN
6"​
0​
2"​
SWIM
2"​
0​
4 1/2"​
LEAP
5"​
0​

STR Roll: 14- / 15-Run: 6"
DEX Roll: 14-Swim: 2"
CON Roll: 15-Leap: 4 1/2"
INT Roll: 11-
EGO Roll: 11-
Perception Roll: 11-

Disadvantages
Pts
Money, Poor​
5​
Distinctive Features: Very Large and non Human Proportions, Not Concealable, Noticed and Recognizable, Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses​
15​
Distinctive Features: One Eye centered in his head., Easily Concealed, Noticed and Recognizable, Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses​
5​
Social Limitation: Not from this planet, Frequently (11-), Major​
15​
Social Limitation: Avoids crowds and other areas with loud noises., Frequently (11-), Minor​
10​
Psychological Limitation: Stranger in a Strange Land - Alone with limited hope of rescue, Common, Moderate​
10​
Enraged: When half Body or Stun done to him in a Turn, Uncommon, go 11-, recover 11-​
15​
Hunted: Watched by US military, More Powerful, 14- (Very Frequently), Watching, Extensive Non-Combat Influence, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find​
25​
Hunted: Viper, More Powerful, 11- (Frequently), Harshly Punish, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find​
25​
Physical Limitation: Sensitive to load noises. Leaves area, Frequently, Slightly Impairing​
10​
Rivalry: Seeks to destroy Oculus the Viper supervillian who he both has been confused with and attacked by., Professional, Rival is More Powerful, Seek to Harm or Kill Rival, Rival Aware of Rivalry​
15​
XP
Base Points : 350
Disads Total + 150
Experience Spent + 0
Total Cost = 350
champions5.jpg

Pts.
Power/Skill/Perk/Talent
END
Combat Suit, all slots: OIF (-1/2)​
27​
1) Flight 20" (40 Active Points)​
4​
15​
3) Armor (15 PD / 5 ED) (30 Active Points); Activation Roll 14- (-1/2) (added to Primary Value)​
8​
4) Life Support (Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum, Self-Contained Breathing) (12 Active Points)​
7​
Growth (+5 STR, +1 BODY, +1 STUN, -1" KB, +0 DCV, +0 PER Rolls to perceive character, 2 m tall, 1 m wide, 0" reach), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (7 Active Points) (added to Secondary Value)​
40​
Visor: Multipower, 60-point reserve, all slots: (60 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)​
3u​
1) Flash 8d6 (Sight Group) (40 Active Points)​
4​
1u​
2) N-Ray Perception (Microscopic (x10), Telescopic (+1)) (14 Active Points)​
4u​
3) Wide Pattern Blast: Energy Blast 8d6 (vs. ED), Explosion (Cone -1 DC/2"; +1/2) (60 Active Points)​
6​
3u​
4) Ocular Blast: Energy Blast 12d6 (vs. ED) (60 Active Points); Beam (-1/4)​
6​
Visor - Additional, all slots: OIF (-1/2)​
9​
1) Protective Visor: Flash Defense (14 points) (Sight Group) (14 Active Points)​
3​
2) Nightvision (5 Active Points)​
13​
Navigation (Air, Land, Marine, Space) 15-​
5​
Tactics 12-​
9​
Analyze - Power Level: Combat 14-​
10​
Defense Maneuver: I-IV​
9​
+3 with any three maneuvers or a tight group of attacks​
20​
Universal Translator 11-​
3​
Absolute Range Sense​
120 : Powers Cost
69 + Skills Cost
161 + Characteristics Cost
350 = Total Cost

Base OCV: 9Base DCV: 9
Adjustment+ Adjustment+
Final OCV: Final DCV:
Levels: +3 with any three maneuvers or a tight group of attacks

Combat Maneuvers
Name
Phase
OCV
DCV
Effect
Block
1/2​
+0​
+0​
Block, Abort
Brace
0​
+2​
1/2​
+2 vs. Range Mod.
Disarm
1/2​
-2​
+0​
Can disarm
Dodge
1/2​
---​
+3​
Abort, vs. all attacks
Grab
1/2​
-1​
-2​
Grab two limbs
Grab By
1/2​
-3​
-4​
Move and Grab
Haymaker
1/2*​
+0​
-5​
+4DC to attack
Move By
1/2​
-2​
-2​
STR/2 + v/5
Move Through
1/2​
-v/5​
-3​
STR + v/3
Set
1​
+1​
+0​
Ranged attacks only
Strike
1/2​
+0​
+0​
STR or weapon

Range
0-4​
5-8​
9-16​
17-32​
33-64​
65-128​
RMod
0​
-2​
-4​
-6​
-8​
-10​

DEX: 26SPD: 6ECV: 3
Phases: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12
20 PD (15 rPD)15 ED (5 rED)MD: 0
END: 56STUN: 44/45BODY: 18/19

Character 1. D&D 5e
Solo
Fallen aasimar Warlock 1 neutral good
—————
Armor Class 11 (leather armor)
Hit Points 10 (1d8+2)
Speed 30 ft.
—————
STR 12 (+1), DEX 10 (+0), CON 14 (+2), INT 10 (+0), WIS 12 (+1), CHA 18 (+4)
—————
Saving Throws Wis +3, Cha +6
Skills Arcana +2, Insight +3, Intimidation +6, Persuasion +6
Damage Resistances necrotic, radiant
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 11
Languages Celestial, Common, Draconic, Elvish

Light Crossbow. Ranged Weapon Attack: +2 to hit, range 80 ft./320 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d8 piercing damage.
Dagger. Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft. or range 20 ft./60 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d4+1 piercing damage.
Quarterstaff. Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d8+1 bludgeoning damage or 1d8+1 bludgeoning damage if used with two hands to make a melee
attack.

Spells: Cure Wounds, Hellish Rebuke, Eldritch Blast, Mage Hand

Healing Hands (1/long rest). As an action, you can touch a creature and cause it to regain a number of hit
points equal to your level. Once you use this trait, you can't use it again until you finish a long rest.

Equipment Dagger (2), leather armor, Light Crossbow, Quarterstaff, backpack, book, clothes, fine,
component pouch, ink (1 ounce bottle), ink pen, little bag of sand, parchment (10), small knife, 5 g

Last edited:
Day 1 Hollow Earth Expedition

Name: Dylan Chase
Archetype: Lawman (US Marshals Svc)
Motivation: Justice

Talents: Alertness (+2 Perception)
Flaws: Short-tempered

Attributes
Body3Charisma2
Dexterity3Intelligence3
Strength2Willpower2
Secondary Attributes
Size0Defense6
Move5Stun3
Initiative6Health5
Perception7
Style2

Skills
BaseLevelRatingAverage
Athletics2242
Firearms3363
Investigation3363
Stealth3252+
Survival3363

Weapons
RatingModifierAttackAverage
Colt M19113L08L4L

Side note: I really fucking hate the table editor on this site.

Here's my character for a 1st edition Gamma World game I'll be playing in soon. He's a mutated raccoon named Grrrrg. I rolled him up using the 4d6 drop the lowest die option in order as rolled. I used a character generation bot on a Discord channel that my GM uses. Good scores, just wish the Physical Strength had gotten one of those 15s!

Character Type: Mutated Animal - Raccoon
Mental Strength 17 Armor Class: 10​
Intelligence 12 Hit Points: 45​
Dexterity 14​
Physical Strength 9​
Charisma 15​
Constitution 15​
Physical Mutations
Light Generation
Generates beams of light from his eyes out to 10 meters like a flash from a camera. Works even in full daylight, causing a stunning effect to everyone affected by the beams (I assume they'd get a save vs stun or something, rules aren't clear on that), for 1d4 melee turns. This stun reduces their AC and To Hit chances by 4.​
Mental Mutations
Heightened Brain Talent
Artifact identification takes 1/3 the usual time. Impossible for the character to be lied to.​
Life Leech
Drains 6 hit points from all creatures within 10 meters plus 3 meters for ever 4 points of Mental Strength, giving Grrrrg a range of 22 meters! These points are added to his HP total and are reduced before his own HP in combat and last for 24 hours.​
Dual Brain
Character gains two additional Mental Mutations. Gains a -1 on artifact rolls. Also receives two saving throws versus mental attacks.​
Directional Sense
Knows exactly where he is in relation to where he's been. Can retrace steps even if blindfolded.​
Telepathy
Transmit and receive thoughts and emotions up to 10 meters.​
As a raccoon he doesn't have any starting money or equipment.

Background
Born into a normal family of raccoons, Grrrrg quickly began to realize that he was very different from his brothers and sisters. He moved out of the family den after he nearly killed his siblings and parents when his Life Leech power was triggered during an attack by a strange creature that invaded his home. He has been wandering alone for the last few years, avoiding contact with other beings whenever possible, but his curiosity is causing him to wonder about the two legged furless creatures he's been seeing from time to time, and other seemingly normal critters that appear to have been born into the world with similar abilities to his own.​

OK, let me start...:grin:

MegaTraveller, courtesy of this site: http://traveller.chromeblack.com/files/mtpcgen.html

Ernie Hencock - Solomani, male, B59987 (I picture him with a portrait of REH, but feel free to edit...:tongue:)

HomeWorld:
StarPort=B, Size=Medium, Atmos=Standard, Hydro=Wet, Population=Med, Law=Moderate, Tech=Average Stellar
Terms: 2 (Sailor)
Skills:
Brawling-2, Forward Observer-1, Gambling-1, Grav Vehicle-1, Jack-of-all-Trades-1, Large Watercraft-1, Small Watercraft-1, Streetwise-1, Computer-0, Handgun-0
Cash:
45000 Cr
Pension:
0 Cr/Year
Skills/Experience:
9 / 17
Benefits:
High Passage

detailed history
Rolled UPP = B49987
homeworld skill: Computer-0
homeworld skill: Grav Vehicle-0
Successfully enlisted in Sailor (rolled 10, needed 4)
career skill: Small Watercraft-1
career skill: Handgun-0

TERM 1
Survival Roll = 6 (3 required); You survived the term without mishap (2 skills)
Commission Roll = 11 (4 required); You received a Commission to become a Ensign (2 bonus skills)
Promotion Roll = 10 (5 required); You were Promoted to Lieutenant (2 bonus skills)
Special Duty Roll = 2 (6 required); You were not given Special Duties.
Reenlistment Roll = 9 (6 required); You have the option of serving another term.
6 skills to add:
Brawling-1
Brawling-2
+1 Dexterity
Forward Observer-1
Large Watercraft-1
Grav Vehicle-1

TERM 2
Survival Roll = 10 (3 required); You survived the term without mishap (1 skill)
Promotion Roll = 8 (5 required); You received a Promotion to Lt. Commander (1 bonus skill)
Special Duty Roll = 6 (6 required); You were given Special Duties (1 bonus skill)
Reenlistment Roll = 5 (6 required); Your services are no longer required.
3 skills to add:
Jack-of-all-Trades-1
Streetwise-1
Gambling-1

MUSTERING OUT (4 rolls)
cash roll of 7 - 30000 Cr.
benefits roll of 6 - High Passage
cash roll of 2 - 5000 Cr.
cash roll of 5 - 10000 Cr.

Character Complete
Ernie was born on a decent planet in a decent family, all things considered. It totally beat being born on a space station with no artificial gravity, and never being able to feel at home at 1G or more, at any rate. Which actually happened a lot at La Grange -IX, where gravity was a commodity to be paid for on a monthly basis.
It also beat being born in a family that had a hard time affording anything more than soy synthetics, as was the fate of many on Coruscant.
But for all the decent things, Ernie had an early interest in all things of the not-so-decent variety. Whether it was his dad's magazines (depicting all kinds of naturalistic images), or his mother's videochat records...:shade:
Thus, nobody was the least bit surprised when he joined the Wet Navy. The sailors in that one - quite numerous due to Shapiro being a mostly water world, for most practical purposes* - were reputed to be hard-drinking, hard-fighting, hard-cussing, and involved in all kinds of trades, a minority of which were even legal.
Ernie didn't fall in with that lot, though. No, he fell in with the hard cases.
Some of them mocked him for his lack of coordination. In return, he broke the hand of one of them "while discussing their relationship behind the cantina", as the senior staffers described the incident in their reports. And, given that he had a recommendation by his uncle - a hard case himself, and commanding officer of the ship he was sailing on - all was well...
For his first term, he was dutifully learning how to bash heads in drunken brawls, and how to sail any ship, regardless of size. Then, just as he was starting to get his own network of contacts, which he hoped to make him quite a bit of money, disaster struck!
Disaster struck in the face of a slim 5'6'' red-headed journalist. She had managed to expose the fences that the cops were protecting for a share of the profits. Ernie had never even met those fences.
But one of them had committed the ultimate sin: terrified of prison, he spoke in front of the jury.
The web of backstreet deals between state ministers, major crime syndicates, and space criminals started to unravel with dizzling speed. That was when Ernie got approval to a letter of resignation he knew he had never written...but he also knew better than pointing out that fact.
As was customary in such cases, he got a ticket for a high passage instead of a cutlass. Everybody knew he was unlikely to actually use it, but similarly, nobody cared.
He just had to be away from the planet ASAP. Before the cops got to him.
Well, Ernie decided, he'd always wanted to see some seedier planets...
And thus a new Traveller marched on the space lanes!

*Shapiro has lots of land masses...in the climatic ranges where nobody wants to live. It's a confederacy, too, so most islands maintain their own navy.

The Witch (5e)

Concept: You are a Hyperborean, a descendant of an ancient race of gaunt, pale-skinned sorcerer-kings and witch-queens who ruled the world in millennia past. You belong to a macabre and eccentric clan of nobility at the tail end of a centuries-long decline. Disease, shipwreck, arcane mishap, daemonic possession, running with scissors, and adventuring have taken their toll and the fate of your ancient noble house rests solely upon your shoulders. For reasons too tedious to elaborate upon, adventuring or marriage are the only acceptable options to recover your family fortunes. Taking 3 loyal servants, you left the gloomy, crumbling manse of your ancestors in search of fortune. Fortunately, your patron Xathoqqua looks out for you with preternatural luck.

Appearance: Typical for your race, you are unnaturally tall, pale, and gaunt with light violet eyes. You possess the dark majesty of your witch-queen ancestors and your vampishly long straight black hair marked you from birth as a gifted sorceress.

Personality: You are audacious, eccentric, macabre, erudite, and exceedingly proud even in decline. The innate arrogance of your people, a lifetime of supernatural contact, and sheer strength of ego ensures you are confident and at ease in just about any conceivable situation.

Hyperborean (human) Warlock 1 Neutral

STR 8 (-1), DEX 14 (+2), CON 14 (+2), INT 10 (+0), WIS 12 (+1), CHA 16 (+3)

Patron: Xathoqqua (Great Old One)
Feat: Lucky
Background: Noble (w/ variant retainer feature)

Skills: Arcana, Intimidation, History, Perception, Persuasion

Spells
Eldritch Blast, Minor Illusion, Hex, Armor of Agathys

Gear
Fine fur cloak, unobtrusive leather armor, ancestral staff (arcane focus), dagger, signet ring, purse with 25G, dungeoneer's pack (carried by a retainer)

Commentary: I have never played a female character before but this character concept nagged at my mind for like a year until I finally decided to write it out. I imagine it would be pretty fun to play sorcerous Wednesday Addams in a weird fantasy dungeon crawler.

Last edited:
For day 2, I give you a character for Servants of Gaius, a game from our very own BedrockBrendan BedrockBrendan. In it you play special agents of the divine Emperor Nero, stopping the plots of the evil Minions of Neptune.

Name: Caeso Carvilius Isatis

Sex: Male

Social Class: Senatorial Order

Primary Skills: Mental and Knowledge

Allies: 1 Political (Patron)

Ancestry: Roman

Family: Isatis

Auctorias: 0

Privileges: Eligible for Senate seat, high military, and administrative posts. One free Mental Expertise. Roman Citizenship.

Drawbacks: Being a Senator certainly has its benefits, but it is not without its problems. The Senatorial Order is rife with political backstabbing and envy. The further one advances in a senatorial career, the more enemies one accrues.Therefore, Characters in this social class start with the Enemy Vice. Members of this order are generally expected to inherit their wealth or marry into it. Things like trade are beneath them. For this reason, the Specialist Skill category costs double for members of the Senatorial Order and they begin the game with one enemy.

7,000,000 Sesterces

Defense Skills

Hardiness: 0
Stealth: 0
Evade: 1
Parry: 1
Wits: 1
Resolve: 3

Combat Skills

Wrestling: 2 Expertise: Restrain
Light Melee: 2 Expertise: Pugio
Medium Melee: 1
Heavy Melee: 0
Light Ranged: 0
Heavy Ranged: : 0

Physical Skills

Athletics: 1 Expertise: Sports
Speed: 2
Muscle: 1
Endurance: 1
Swim: 1
Ride: 1

Specialist Skills:

Trade: 0
Medicine: 1
Survival: 0
Talent – Poisoning: 1
Talent: Writing: 1
Divination: 1 Expertise: Astrology
Ritual:
Sorcery:

Mental Skills

Command: 1
Rhetoric: 2 Expertise: Persuade
Deception: 2
Reasoning: 1
Empathy: 2 Expertise: Intentions
Detect: 1

Knowledge Skills

History (Italia): 1
Places (Italia): 1
Institutions (The Senate): 2
Institutions (Imperial Bureaucracy): 2 Expertise: People
Religion (Roman Pantheon): 1
Philosophy (Eleactic): 1
Philosophy (Sophist): 1 Expertise: Politics

Vice: Fat (You are very overweight and as a result you start with an Evade of 2 instead of 3

Background: Born into the prestigious and wealthy Isatis family, Caeso has never wanted for anything (as his waistline shows). That said, he was in something of an odd position as the second youngest son. The family senate seat and most other important positions went to his older brothers. But fortunately Caeso understands two things. The power of the family is his power. And political influence and political recognition are not the same thing. So Caeso puts his considerable talents to work as an advisor for his brother, the senator Drusus. His family have always been staunch supporters of Nero and recently the Emperor let it be known that he had work available for a man of Caeso's political abilities.

Notes: I'm leaving the enemy to the GM although I assume it's someone political. It's possible they're a Minion of Neptune. Although wearing my GM hat I'd be tempted to make them a rival Servant of Gaius to add political complexity in the future!

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back