Character Creation Challenge 2022

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Day 14

A 3rd edition Gamma World character this time! This is a recreation of a character that one of my friends ran back in high school.

Name: Besch
Race: Mutated Plant - Sunflower
Tech Level: I

HP: 52

Physical Strength: 12
Dexterity: 15
Constitution: 13
Mental Strength: 14
Intelligence: 12
Charisma: 15
Physical Mutations
Mobility - 7​
Explosive Seeds - 9​
Absorption - Ultraviolet Light - 5​
Mental Mutations
Reflection - 8​
Telepathy - 6​

Besch is a mobile sunflower that travels by burrowing through the soil with its roots while pulling its stalk along above the ground. It communicates with its companions via telepathic projection of it's thoughts. It absorbs the ultraviolet light from the sun to regenerate any damage it may suffer from combat or other incidents. If combat is inevitable, Besch squeezes seeds from the face of it's flower like zits and launches them up to 20 feet at opponents. These seeds explode on contact doing a damage of 6 on the combat column.

Besch ran with a mutated gorilla. In one fight against a particularly nasty critter, the gorilla got the bright idea to pull Besch out of the ground and smash it's face against the creature, setting off all of the explosive seeds at once. The attack killed the creature and seriously injured the gorilla. Besch died, but by making a Constitution save it was able to regenerate from its roots to fight another day!

Day 15:

Vanguard
(Champions 6th hero, 300 pts)

STR 35
DEX 20
CON 30
INT 15
EGO 15
PRE 15
OCV 8
DCV 8
OMCV 3
DMCV 3
SPEED 5
PD 30
ED 30
REC 20
BODY 20
STUN 30

Skills: Breakfall, Move Through, Professional/Hockey, Languages (French-fluent, Czech-basic), Martial Strike, Martial Dodge, Martial Grab, Movement+2 (skating), Well-Off

Powers: 50% Physical Damage Reduction; Life Support/Immunity to Poisons, Expanded Breathing (smoke/gas), Safe Environment (radiation); Regenerates daily

Complications: Negative Reputation (not that people don’t think well of him, it’s that he’s a well-known public figure mundanely, and would readily be recognized), Physical Complication (bad shoulder, infrequently, greatly), Protect Children (common, strong), Social Complication (team activities, very frequently, minor).

Rod’s an assistant captain for the local minor-league hockey team. He’s getting into his late 20s, and knows full well that he doesn’t have the skills to make the big time; he’s lasted as long as he has through being one of the league’s most feared goons. But he’s been injured a good bit this season, his contract’s up in June, and he’s glumly contemplated Life After Hockey. So when the local university had a workshop for career changers, he slipped into a seat in the back ... five minutes before a second-rate supervillain and his terrorist gang set off an obsolete nerve gas bomb, right at the same point that the graduate students in the science lab above had their unauthorized experiment go badly wrong, and right as the student radio station below had a power spike that sent fifty times their allocated wattage over the airwaves.

Oops.

Anyway, Rod and four of his classmates gained superpowers, cleaned up the gang, and there we start. For himself, he’s a relatively modest fellow, a First Nations member from British Columbia. He’s a skilled boxer, but that’s damn near it for mundane skills: he’s been a hockey player all his life, lazed his way through high school, and doesn’t really know how to do anything else. The Well-Off bit isn’t going to last past the summer unless he signs a new contract ... but now he’s got to dance a fine tightrope between his greatly enhanced physical prowess and not killing others on the ice, never mind the tightrope he has to walk in that regardless of what Major Evil and his Makin' Mayhem gang have planned, the hockey team's heading out on the bus at 5 AM tomorrow morning for the Maritimes road trip. (Besides, he’s sweet on one of his impromptu fellow newbie heroes, she reciprocates, and what happens if he gets called up to the NHL?)

Vanguard is really tough for a newbie super, he’s immune to a number of metabolic hazards, and has Spiderman-level strength. Which is about it. His combat technique is very hockey-esque: punch the other guy until he falls down and declines to get back up. (The added skill in Move Through represents bodychecking, though, and he’s perfectly happy to smash someone against a wall.) He is strongly oriented towards protecting his teammates, and is the sort to jump between a friendly and an energy blast.

It's been the better part of thirty years since I was in a Champions campaign, and have lost the knack for hitting efficiency breakpoints, so likely the build could be tightened up considerably. Also, computer art ain't my long suit ...

vanguard.jpg

Last edited:
Day #14
Hellboy GURPS

Karl Fletcher
ValueCost
ST10
DX10
IQ1220
HT10
Abilities
Disturbing Voice-10
Patrol - BRPD30
Empathy15
Cryokinesis - Lvl 30 -Uncontrollable, Unconscious Only, Must be beaten unconcious to activate. Harms all not touching him.45
Description:
Karl is 6'1" and 130lbs of lean pasty white meat. You would have thought the acne would go away in his 20's but it hasnt. His teeth are blackened from smoking and a diet of black coffee and pork rinds. Black greasy hair covers most of his head but a growing bald spot completes the look.
Karl appears dressed to kill but more in a literal sense than something to attract a member of, well, any sex. It only gets worse when he opens his mouth and a voice high enough to shatter crystal spews forth.

And I'm behind again, but not as much as I used to be:grin:!

Day 14 - Orb RPG. Another gamebook originated RPG, this time the "high fantasy meets ninjas" of Way of the Tiger.

Sadly, this is not available officially, due to the company who were supposed to be publishing it going out of business. (While owing people money I believe). If you go to the hassle of tracking down the beta copy, buy some of Dave Morris and Jamie Thomson's books to compensate.

Name: Castra
Class: Priestess of Illustra

Strength: 18 +9
Agility: 8 +0
Constitution: 10 +1
Intellect: 8 +0
Inner Force: 7 -1
Awareness: 17 +8
Charisma: 17 +8

Endurance: 13
Fate Modifier: 0
Fate Points: 1

Allowed Armour: Light
Shields allowed: Light only
Allowed Weapons: Simple, Martial

Creed: Pure, Holy, Kind
Tutelary Deity: Illustra
Deity morality (good/neutral/evil): Good
Deity creed (order/neutral/chaos): Neutral

Special Rules

● A priestess of Illustra has an aura of purity and wholesomeness, which causes any demonic or undead within 12 feet to lose 3 Endurance per round.

● She also gains +2 to any Persuade roll for anyone not of an evil persuasion.

Class Proficiencies

● When making a Proficiency Check, the priestess suffers a -5 penalty to any Proficiency Check (not Attribute Checks) except for the ones listed below

● As she gains levels, the priestess may only add bonuses to the Proficiencies listed below

Appraise, Healing, Listening, Lore, Move Silently, Navigation, Persuade, Search

Standard Starting Equipment

Staff (Weapon Modifier: 0)
Vial of Holy Water
5 meals
4 gold coins

Starting Abilities

Path of Spring

Tier 1 ability: Spring’s Warmth (once per day)
Once per day the priestess can cast this spell to resist any penalty from natural cold, which lasts for 6 hours. It will also double the speed at which any wet clothes she is wearing dries.

Path of Life

Tier 1 ability: Holy Hands (once per day)
Any water held in the cupped hands of the priestess for ten minutes will become holy water Unless it is kept on her person, it will revert back to normal water after ten minutes. Since it is a personal blessing of the goddess, a priestess would never sell this holy water.

Tier 2 ability: Touch of Illustra (twice a day)
Requires: Holy Hands
This spell is invoked by touching the target and saying a prayer of healing: it will restore 2d6 of Endurance to the person touched.

Path of Purity

Tier 1 ability: Light of Faith (once per day)
By raising her open hand, the priestess can create a lantern-strength white light that will last for up to an hour. It can be extinguished at any time with a thought.

Background

Castra does not entirely fit the stereotype of a Priestess of Illustra. It's not that she's not attractive. But it's an attractiveness of the kind normally described as "handsome" rather than "delicate". She's certainly had her share of suitors, although as of yet has not met one who meets her exacting standards.

Her romantic advice is best described as brutally frank and she's more likely to be seen at a sports event than a poetry reading.

She's recently joined the subset "The Parity", who are dedicated to shining light in the dark places of the world. While still part of the main church and generally friendly, some of her more conservative colleagues feel she shows just a little too much glee when setting about evil doers with her staff.

She has recently left her home city of Goth of Ten Temples to put her newfound theology into practice as a wandering priestess.
Holy cow, I never knew such a thing existed. The Way of the Tiger books were possibly my favourite gamebooks (although Lone Wolf and some of FF run it pretty close). I even had the 2 (?) Spectrum games.

I am so resistant to new rules nowadays I would probably never run it, but if there was lore that might make tracking it down worthwhile.

Day 15: Dragon Warriors

Name: Hedin Bjalfisson
Profession: Elementalist

Elementalist Origins: Mercanian Cost

Strength: 8
Reflexes: 11
Intelligence: 16
Psychic Talent: 11
Looks: 14

Health Points: 9

Attack: 11
Defence: 6
Magic Attack: 16
Magic Defence: 10
Evasion: 3
Stealth: 13
Perception: 5

Languages: Fluent Latter Mercanian, Fluent Ellselandic, Fluent Visic, Intermediate Cabbandari,

Magic Points 3 in Air, 1 in Fire, 1 in Water

Illiterate

Special Abilities: Spellcasting, Raw Power (Speed 10 + MP expended, Range 10 meters per MP, Damage 2d6 per MP), Elemental Resistance (+4 Evasion/Magic Defence versus Primary Element. +2 Evasion/Magic Defence versus Secondary Element)

Elemental Speciality: Air Secondary Elements: Fire, Water

Spells: Cutting Power of the Mind (Air), Candle (Fire), Rain (Water)

lantern, tinderbox, Spear, Staff, Shield, Padded Armour (AF 1). Aeolian Harp, 3 Florins

Background: Since arriving in Ellesland, Hedin is having a whale of a time. Tall, blonde and handsome, he is the very model of the Mercanian "barbarian", a stereotype he plays to in full. Frequently the locals underestimate his (actually formidable) intelligence, which suits him fine. He is more than happy to indulge any of the local village girls looking for an excitingly foreign lover.

Best of all is the local response to his profession. Back on the Latter Mercanian Coast he's known as a beginning Elementalist , fresh out of apprenticeship. His gender is frowned on by traditionalists, meaning his chances of advancing into the ranks of the Volkar are slim. But in Ellesland he's a mysterious weaver of strange foreign magicks. Even the Church treat him as merely some kind of primitive rather than with the heavy suspicion they treat their homegrown "sorcerers". He finds this very funny.

Day 15: Swashbucklers of the 7 Skies

Time to make a pirate!

Name: Lenora "Feral" Barclay
Training points: 1
Style dice: 1

Swashbuckling Forte: Good [+2] [][][] Viridese Warmaster
Motivation: Good [+2] [][][] Live Full & Free
Nationality: Good [+2] [][][] Viridian
Past: Good [+2] [][][] Pirate
Good [+2] [][][] Agile
Good [+2] [][][] Reputation

Foible: Fugitive

Techniques:
Dance of Death [idiom: graceful; idiom: dual-wield; weapon: cutlass; weapon: dirk; situation: outnumbered; Chained: Viridese Warmaster]
Feral duel [idiom: acrobatic; idiom: aggressive; weapon: rapier; Chained: Viridese Warmaster]
Feral reflexes [idiom: quick; situation: when dodging; situation: avoiding environmental damage; Chained: Agile]
Feral intimidation [idiom: menacing; situation: before a fight; Chained: Reputation]

Appearance:
Most people consider her attractive but not necessarily beautiful, and nearly all tell of being slightly unsettled if they meet her eye to eye. Like all warmasters, she has a sword tattoo on her right arm. She's slender of build and stands 5'10", and has long, dark red hair that she likes to wear in four pony tails - two up high on either side of her scalp and two that gather to either side of her shoulders. Looking at her, you get the impression of a large cat that's ready to pounce.

Personality:
Lenora has a terrific since of humor, but you'd never know it. Like most Viridese, she tends to keep quiet and seems to always be deep in thought. When she does speak, she tends to say exactly what she's thinking, holding nothing back. When provoked to anger, she can be especially vicious and terrifying. A crew mate once remarked that she reminded him of a feral hellcat, and the nickname "Feral" took.

Back to PDQ! This time with the PDQ# build. With regard to creating characters, this build differs in a couple of minor ways from other games such as Jaws of the Six Serpents. First, your weakness (called a Foible here to reinforce genre) is unranked. This means it is mostly a role playing hook that neither absorbs damage nor provides a mechanical penalty. The GM should use it to complicate matters for your character.

The second difference is the introduction of "techniques", which can be thought of as feats or stunts from other games. These may be used to either provide a flat +1 bonus, or to allow an extra die to be rolled with the best result being what's used. At character creation you get 5 points to make techniques with. The cost for each differs depending on whether you "chain" the technique to your swashbuckling quality (1 point, and called a forte in this game), chain it to another quality (2 points) or leave it unchained (3 points).

The game also differs mechanically in that, in duels, you split 3 dice between attack and defense and can keep the best 3 for your result as opposed to the usual best 2.

The S7S game book provides a good list of common and thematically appropriate qualities for the 7 Skies setting and the swashbuckling genre in general. Players may either take these from the book or make up their own.

I knew I wanted Lenora to be a pirate the moment I decided to make a S7S character (because, duh). Looking at her write-up, however, you'll see that I made her swashbuckling forte "Viridese Warmaster" instead of "pirate". This came down to a slight amount of min-maxing on my part. The Viridese Warmaster quality, as written, includes all manner of fighting prowess while pirate is mostly about skyship know-how and various criminal activities. Because I wanted a handful of "cheap" techniques, I took warmaster as the "spotlight" quality and made "pirate" an element of her past.

Her other qualities are pretty straightforward. I took her motivation to be "Live Full & Free" to basically reinforce her "catlike" qualities and to indicate a strong resistance to being "nailed down" in life. I also figured it'd work well for carousing. The "Viridian" nationality was taken because it's a prerequisite to being a Viridese Warmaster. These people come from an island of independent city-states and are a fiercely proud and independent people. They're also know for being the best general, all around combatants in the 7 Skies. Agile and Reputation were taken as two "free" qualities. The first will largely be used for defense (and has the "Feral reflexes" technique chained to it) while the latter will primarily be used for intimidation and other "fame" related story beats.

I sacrificed one free quality to get an extra 2 points for making techniques. If not for that I'd have boosted Viridese Warmaster to "Expert [+4]". That gave me 7 points to spend rather than 5, but I only used 6 (1 each for the first two, and 2 each for the latter two), so marked the single unspent point down as a training point for later development. All the techniques themselves are meant to reinforce the "feral" theme in some way.

And with that I'll cal day 15 in the bag. We're halfway through the challenge!

For Day 15, I'll be making a character using the Vintage Space Playtest Document. This appears to be a fairly simple system for playing in a Star Trek-esque universe. As far as I can tell from a cursory internet search, the full game of Vintage Space never came out. One thing I really like about this document is that it starts with an example of play.

The range of values for Character Attributes is 1-20, with 20 being the absolute best a human is capable of, and 8 being average. There's a note that, "As a Space Corps officer and heroic PC, you're generally at least average in all your abilities." I like that.

You can choose your race from a list of 6, which includes humans, not-Vulcans, not-Klingons, cat-people, dog-people, and octopus-people. The formula for generating stats varies a bit from species to species. I've never really understood the affinity some folks have for cat-people, so, why not, I'll use the cat-people race, called Neyokso.

Dexterity: 17
Charisma: 14
Luck: 17
Psychic Potential: 8

Ok, I've hit a snag: it says that Neyokso roll "1d6+* for INT, STR, and END," but I can't find where the * is defined. Based on other numbers in the character creation section, 1d6+6 seems reasonable, so I'll go with that.

Intelligence: 9
Strength: 10
Endurance: 7

Hit Points equal your Endurance, so I've got 7 HP.

Next step is to send your PC to Star Corps Academy, choose which Division they join, and give yourself its skill package. Pilot sounds like the most fun job on a spaceship to me, so I'll send my guy to Flight Division. Flight characters fly the ship (duh) and fire the forward-facing weapons. My skill package is:

Personal Combat 1
Pilot 3
Starship Combat 2

I like that this game only has a handful of skills. My eyes tend to glaze over when I try to engage with long skill lists. There's a note that characters start with 1 rank in the Passions skill, "but it's not a part of the official curriculum." The Passions skill is not explained, but based on the character creation example that follows, it looks like Passions is just something your character is Passionate about, like a favorite hobby. So I'll give my dude:

Passions 1: Poetry

There's an option to send your PCs to Advance Training, getting them higher ranks and more skills, but I like the idea of playing a fresh-faced, idealistic cat-boy straight out of the Academy, so I'll just stay at Ensign.

There's an option to send your PC to Psionic Training, which lets you get some cool Psionic skills, but it lowers some of your other skills, and my guy doesn't have much Psychic Potential anyway, so I'll skip that.

Oh, turns out each rank you have in a skill gives you one specialty. I would have put the info earlier in the document, but it's a cool thing. So my updated skills after choosing my specialties are:

Personal Combat 1
-Energy Weapons
Pilot 3
-Capital Ship Maneuvers
-Hyperdrive Navigation
-Small Ship Maneuvers
Starship Combat 2
-Evasive Maneuvers
-Missile Weapons

Edit: Later in the document, it does explain Passions, and it's basically what I thought. The later explanation says you get 3 of them, though, as opposed to the 1 it said previously. So, let's go with:

Passions 3
-Poetry
-Cliff-diving
-Archery

As for gear, it's restricted by Clearance. As an Ensign, I only have Clearance 1, which means the only weapon I can requisition is a Mk. 1 Stun Pistol.
Next there's some stuff about Vac Suits and Armor, but I'm assuming my guy is mainly going to be on the bridge, so I'll skip that as it's not terribly relevant currently.

Oh, there's actually a package of gear for each type of officer, and all PCs get a not-Tricorder. For pilots, it says they "don't normally wear anything special except when they're piloting small craft. In that case they wear eye shades with an integrated HUD, an oxygen mask, and keep an emergency vac suit strapped to their chest."

That seems to be the end of character creation. The document also includes info about the task resolution mechanic, spaceships, NPCs, personal combat, and starship combat.

This document is a tad disorganized, but character creation was pretty fun. I could see using this game if I wanted to run not-Star Trek.

Oh dang, I forgot to give Ensign cat-boy a name!

Meet Ensign Fred Freeglezurg, poet, cliff-diver, archer, and most importantly, Star Corps pilot! Having recently graduated the Academy, he is quite eager to prove himself on the SCS Turtle, hoping he'll make a good enough impression that he can one day get transferred to the fleet's most famous ship, the SCS Undertaking.

I like the idea of different roles on the ship wearing different colors for easy identification, so I'm declaring that pilots wear light blue, thus Ensign Freeglezurg is clad in a light blue flight suit. I'm also declaring the Neyokso have cat-like feet that don't easily fit into shoes, thus Neyokso members of Star Corps are allowed to go barefoot, and Fred does.

Day 15: Space Adventures - X, Beyond Belief Games

Name: Illystara
Class: Psychic
Level: 1

Strength: 12
Intelligence: 8
Wisdom: 16 (+2 bonus)
Constitution: 14 (+1 bonus)
Dexterity: 12
Charisma: 11

Hit Points: 5
Saving Throw: 14 (+2 vs mind control, mental blasts, taunts, interrogation, and intimidation)
Armor Class: 11 (+1 armor)
Base Hit Bonus: +0

Psychic Powers: Mind Control, Calm Emotions

Armor/Weapon Proficiencies: One-Handed Weapons, Armor up to Reinforced Clothing

Equipment: Skin Suit, Laser Pistol, Big Knife, 12 Credits

Backstory: Illystara was raised in the monastery-city of the Mindblades on the planet of Raxos III, far from the heart of the Solar Federation. As a novice, she learned several techniques to both protect herself and others, as well as the ability to temporarily control others' minds. But she wasn't one for the ascetic life, or the rigid social hierarchy of the Mindblade monastery, so she set out to see the galaxy. She often works as a bodyguard for nobles and others who have need of one, as her psychic training has given her very useful techniques to deescalate dangerous situations (and when those don't work, that's what the laser pistol is for).

Day 15

Mutant Future strikes again!

Name: Michaael
Type: Mutant Human
Alignment: Neutral

HP: 53
AC: 7

Abilities
Str: 7
Dex: 10
Con: 14
Int: 13
Will: 14
Cha: 13

Mutations
Physical

1 Epidermal Photosynthesis​
2 Complete Wing Development - Dragonfly Style (Flight at 120' per turn)​
3 Aberrant Form - Natural Weapon (Claws 1d6 damage)​

Mental
1 Density Alteration​

Weapons & Equipment
Long Bow 1d8​
Short Sword 1d6​

Quiver with 20 arrows​
Leather Armor​

Before Michaael was born, his mother was bitten by several radioactive dragonflies as she was washing clothes in the creek near her village. She suffered some serious radiation burns, but the village medicine man assured her that her child would most likely have no major issues. Boy was he wrong! Michaael came into this crazy world with a pair of strange looking nodes on his shoulder blades. These were played off by the medicine man as birthmarks that might disappear over time, but by the age of six the nodes cracked open and a set of chitinous wings unfurled from within them. For a time, his mother was able to keep the wings hidden by strapping them down to his back and covering them with a cloak. When he reached the age of sixteen, however, the wings had developed to a point where strapping them down was too painful. Michaael also started growing chitinous claws on his hands and feet that they could not easily cover up.

The village considered the boy to be a freak of nature and forced his mother to leave and take her son with her. Life outside the village was harsh, and Michaael's mother didn't last very long in the wastes. After five savage years, his mother passed from pneumonia in a small dank cave. Now Michaael was truly alone in the world and he knew that he had to fend for himself. He began learning to hunt from the air using a bow that his mother said once belonged to his father. He used his claws to defend himself from the various predators that would present themselves all too often. Other abilities manifested themselves, such as being able to heal damage by soaking up the rays of the sun, and being able to alter the size and weight of other creatures with nothing more than his mind.

Day #15
Mercenaries Spies & Private Eyes

NameCharlie Wu
Age26
GenderMale
NationalityUS
EthnicityChinese
LanguagesEnglish,Mandarin
Money1300
ST14
IQ11
LK12
CON10
DEX17
CHA14
SP9
combat adds7
missile adds0
SKILLS11
Gambling1
Research1
Underwater1
Bachelors Degree1
Motorcycle1
Pugilism1
Knife fighting1
Knife throwing1
Firearm, Clip pistol1
Computer1
Confidence1

Charlie grew up in Hong Kong falling in with gangs before his parents moved to the States to get him away from it. Freed from the social circle he grew up with Charlie applied himself and got a computer science degree to please his parents. But sitting at a desk wasting his life away is not how Charlie is going through this life. He's hooked up with a small firm as a PI.

Day 16:

Green Makady
(Fantasy Trip character)

ST 11
DX 12
IQ 9

Talents:
Brawling, Carousing, Knife, Seamanship, Woodcarver, Thrown Weapons, Missile Weapons, Recognize Value

Green Makady (he'll answer to "Mak") knew from an early age that the pirate's life was for him! And so far, it's paid off. He loves to roister, he loves to buckle swashes, he sticks a pipe in his mouth with the best of them, and so far life is good and profitable. He's not only a deft hand with a throwing knife, he positively festoons himself with them -- a collar around his neck jammed with throwing knives, two wristbands each with a pair, two at his hips, one in each boot, two in a twin-sheath inside the open neck of his shirt ... His combat tactics in any boarding action is to get up into the ratlines, stack about ten knives in his off-hand, and pepper the enemy rapid-fire. He's also a genial fellow, doesn't particularly make trouble, is an able hand, a merry drunk, and good at scrimshaw. This much his shipmates appreciate.

But he's got an unusual quirk: he hates cliches. Really really hates cliches. He's the anti-cliche, really. See, he's decided to be "Green" Makady because he found the notion of "Black" or "Red" everything to be tiresome beyond belief, so he dresses in nothing but greens. (This keeps a very happy tailor in Silverport in coin, stockpiling green dyes.) It isn't just that he rolls his eyes at the notion of pirates saying "Arrrrrrr," he insists on using "Veeeeeee" in the same manner. He won't touch rum -- a nice chilled hock or tokay will do. His mates suspect that Mak's hip flask contains chablis ... or worse, fruit juice. His scrimshaw isn't of sailing ships, severed heads or the like; it's of pastoral garden scenes (quite artistic, and which fetch a decent price in Silverport's markets). He loads his pipe tobacco up with cinnamon, clove and other such spices. And he insists on being well groomed, freshly shaved, and as clean as he can manage ... which since he doesn't yet know how to swim, can lead to complications on shipboard.

This would likely grate on shipmates' nerves more openly if they were less worried about suddenly sprouting knives in their guts. About the only subject on which Green Makady is touchy is his quest to avoid sui generis piracy.

Day 16 - Demons of Doom (an Advanced Fighting Fantasy supplement)

Common Name: Vorfas
True Name: Vorfasjuvsoy
Demon Form: Fiend
Concept: Demonic Soldier

Essence: 1

Base SKILL: 6
Base STAMINA: 12
Base LUCK: 7

Intelligence: Average
Natural Weapon: Small Claws and Horns
Natural Armour: Medium Armour
Carrying Capacity: 10

Special Skills

Sword: 2
Climb: 2
Awareness: 2
Battle Tactics: 1
Dodge: 1
Intimidate: 1

Talent

Chaos Tainted

The Demon is even further touched by chaos than normal and has two mutations rolled on the table below (page 10). When the Demon reforms, the mutations are rolled afresh. If the Demon form already has mutations, these are rolled in addition.

Special: A Fiend can breath fire at one opponent within hand to hand range every round in addition to its normal attack. The fire hits on a roll of 1-2 on a D6 and inflicts 1 STAMINA damage. Armour does not apply to this damage.

Mutations:

Slime Skin. Medium Armour, enemy weapon stuck on roll of 6 on 1 die.

Plague Carrier. Enemy wounded by Chaos Mutant must roll on this table if they survive to see what mutation they are afflicted with

Starting Equipment: Sword

Background: This one doesn't really need a nuanced background. He's one of the many grunts of the legions of the Demonic Plane, sent to Titan to slay the forces of good and generally stir up trouble.

Plague Carrier. Enemy wounded by Chaos Mutant must roll on this table if they survive to see what mutation they are afflicted with
Even if he wounds him using his sword:shock:?

Day 16: Pathfinder Planescape NPCs

I'm running the Planescape adventure "The Eternal Boundary" for my Pathfinder group. Here's a conversion of the first antagonist the PCs face, a shady operator known as The Shadowknave. He's running an operation in Sigil that is catching the attention of the factions. His plans rely on Feign Death, a spell that IIRC left the D&D corpus in 3e and didn't get added back in Pathfinder. I think Necromancer Games re-did it, but it's essentially only a plot device anyway, so I just added it to his spell list.

For his bashers, I use the goon stats from d20pfsrd.

The Shadowknave CR 5
XP 1,600
Male half-elf wizard 6
NE Medium humanoid (elf, human)
Init +3; Senses low-light vision; Perception +3
--------------------
Defense
--------------------
AC 17, touch 13, flat-footed 14 (+4 armor, +3 Dex)
hp 38 (6d6+12)
Fort +4, Ref +6, Will +9; +2 vs. enchantments
Immune sleep
--------------------
Offense
--------------------
Speed 30 ft.
Melee +1 returning dagger +4 (1d4+1/19-20)
Special Attacks hand of the apprentice (7/day)
Wizard Spells Prepared (CL 6th; concentration +10)
. . 3rd—aqueous orb[APG] (DC 17), feign death, slow (DC 17)
. . 2nd—invisibility, knock, minor image (DC 16), web (DC 16)
. . 1st—charm person (DC 15), disguise self, expeditious retreat, sleep (DC 15)
. . 0 (at will)—light, mage hand, message, resistance
--------------------
Statistics
--------------------
Str 10, Dex 17, Con 12, Int 18, Wis 13, Cha 16
Base Atk +3; CMB +3; CMD 16
Feats Deceitful, Extend Spell, Iron Will, Scribe Scroll, Silent Spell, Skill Focus (Bluff)
Skills Appraise +8, Bluff +14, Diplomacy +6, Disguise +7, Knowledge (arcana) +13, Knowledge (local) +13, Knowledge (planes) +12, Linguistics +8, Perception +3, Spellcraft +13, Stealth +8; Racial Modifiers +2 Perception
Languages Common, Draconic, Elven, Ignan, Infernal, Orc, Slaadi
SQ arcane bond (wand of fear [17 charges]), elf blood, insanity points (0; effective Wis 13/13)
Combat Gear wand of fear (17 charges); Other Gear returning dagger, cloak of elvenkind, wizard starting spellbook, 26 gp
--------------------
Special Abilities
--------------------
Elf Blood Half-elves count as both elves and humans for any effect related to race.
Elven Immunities - Sleep You are immune to magic sleep effects.
Extend Spell Spell duration lasts twice as normal. +1 Level.
Hand of the Apprentice (7/day) (Su) As a standard action, throw melee weapon (use Int instead of Dex) and instantly returns.
Low-Light Vision See twice as far as a human in dim light, distinguishing color and detail.
Silent Spell Cast a spell with no verbal components. +1 Level.

I admit that I'm myself of two minds about it. Does he have pus-spreading wounds on his body? Does he hug his sword against them to make it poisonous?

I guess it can really go either way.
Yeah, it's mostly a meta concern for me I think. If the sword doesn't cause mutating wounds, it adds an extra tactical decision to the character.

My group is going to be using these charactes in our Pulp Era Adventure homebrew game.
I'm posting all three characters, as there is really not much to them in regards to stats and whatnot. We have played these characters previously using Pulp Cthulhu 7E , but recently I converted them into Tricube Tales for some fun rules-lite pulpy play.

I'm glad to see some Tricube Tales hit the list! I picked it up several months ago but just now got around to reading it, along with the Interstellar one-page setting(s). Your characters got me thinking that this might see some play someday.

Yeah, it's mostly a meta concern for me I think. If the sword doesn't cause mutating wounds, it adds an extra tactical decision to the character.
Agreed, but then some systems might make it kinda hard to differentiate between the kind of attacks that have been used:thumbsup:!

Day 16: Traveller (Mongoose 2e)

I come to Traveller at last. Today, a space marine, as decided by the dice.

Name: Armando Barada
Career: Star Marine
Credits: 40,000

Characteristics:
----------------
Str: 8 (+0)
Dex: 12 (+2)
End: 11 (+1)
Int: 10 (+1)
Edu: 7 (+0)
Soc: 7 (+0)

Skills:
----------------
Athletics (Endurance) 2
Carouse 0
Gun Combat (Energy) 1
Gun Combat (Slug) 2
Heavy Weapons (Vehicle) 2
Leadership 0
Melee(Blade) 1
Stealth 1
Survival 0
Tactics (Military) 1
Vacc Suit 1

Gear:
----------------
Ablat Armor [DR +1 (+6 vs lasers); TL 9]
Cloth Armor [DR +8; TL 10]
Auto pistol [DMG 3D-3; Range 10m; TL 5]
Advanced Combat Rifle [DMG 3D; Range 450m; TL 10]

Benefits:
----------------
Ally - former commanding officer
Contact (a Vargr friend he made in the service)

Armando grew up on a low population colony world focused on agriculture. He desperately wanted to be anywhere else. So when the opportunity arose, he joined up with the Marines space force and he never looked back. Most of his time in service was spent dealing with pirates, and his career was really only notable for his lack of advancement. But, one time he got mixed up in a skirmish with some Aslan raiders and, thanks to some poor choices made by his CO, several squad mates died. He had his CO's back though, and explained how chaotic the situation was when shit hit the fan and that anyone would have made the same decisions in that situation, and the two have been friends ever since. So near the end of his fourth tour Armando found himself frustrated with the fact that he was still a grunt when one day his old friend calls him up and asked if he'd like to join a small freelance crew, Armando decided it was time to say goodbye to the marines and start something new.

Day 16: Flashing Blades, Fantasy Games Unlimited

Name: Alain Laurent
Background: Soldier (Subaltern, Royal Dragoons)

Strength: 9
Dexterity: 10
Endurance: 15
Wit: 10
Charm: 14
Luck: 7

Height: Average
Build: Average
Hit Points: 13
Encumbrance: 11
Social Rank: 4

Skills: Bargaining, Captaincy, Carouse, Horsemanship, Stealth, Strategy, Tracking
Martial Skills: Cavalry Style, Firearms

Advantage: Wealth (Well-Off, +200L/year)
Secret: Don Juan

Yearly Allowance: 530L
Equipment: Sabre, 2 Flintlock Pistols, Flintlock Musket, Helmet, Leather Jerkin, Gauntlets, Padded Breeches, Boots, Officer's Uniform, Riding Horse, Riding Gear, Fine Dress, Powder Horn with 60 Shots of Gunpowder, 60 Lead Shot, 112L

Backstory: Alain comes from a well-off Parisian merchant family, but as his older brother was already being groomed to take over the Laurents' firm, Alain decided to seek his fortune as a soldier instead. His father's wealth helped secure him a junior officer's position in the Royal Dragoons, with the understanding that he was on his own from there. Of course, his father had other motives as well -- knowing about his son's tendency to get involved in romantic indiscretions, he felt this would be a good way to keep him out of trouble for a while, lest he have a dalliance with the wrong person and cause a scandal to besmirch the respectable Laurent name. Alain has yet to go on his first campaign, though, and for now, he is spending time in Paris with his friends, always up for an adventure.

I'm glad to see some Tricube Tales hit the list! I picked it up several months ago but just now got around to reading it, along with the Interstellar one-page setting(s). Your characters got me thinking that this might see some play someday.
I had previously planned to port those Pulp Cthulhu characters into Fate Core for a few one-shots, but it struck me that Tricube Tales can cover the same ground with even less stats, so the path was clear for me.

It's a great little system for rules-lite play, so it suits rollicking adventure and stuff like that.
For the financial outlay, it's pretty good value for money - the pdf is free, and the printed version was only about $5 USD from DrivethruRPG

The other rules-lite option I was considering was RISUS, which is also free as a pdf.
Either system would have been good for something like this, but I just felt that there was slightly more 'meat on the bone' with Tricube Tales over RISUS

I highly recommend giving Tricube Tales a go :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Day 15

Hey all! I gamed last night and was too tired when all was said and done to post a Day 15 character. I'll catch up tonight. I'm watching the 1957 film Abominable Snowman as I type this, so I think I'll make two characters for Silent Legions. (This is another game that I have owned for a while but have not played.)

Kyle Wozniak

Class
: Tough
Level: 1 (0 XP)
Background: Engineer
Connection: Another PC saved his life.
Wealth: Average

ABILITIES
  • STR 18 (+2)
  • INT 12 (+0)
  • WIS 12 (+0)
  • DEX 14 (+1)
  • CON 8 (+0)
  • CHA 9 (+0)
SAVING THROWS
  • Physical Effect 12
  • Mental Effect 16
  • Evasion 14
  • Magic 15
  • Luck 13
SKILLS
  • Athletics 0
  • Combat 0
  • Culture (Home) 0
  • Engineering 0
  • Perception 0
  • Stealth 0
  • Vehicle (Airplanes) 1
CLASS ABILITIES
  • Ravenous for Life
COMBAT STATS
  • Attack Bonus: +1
  • Armor Class: 9
  • Hit Points: 2
EQUIPMENT
  • To be selected
I don't have time to select equipment or to come up with a brief history, but the character turned out different than I'd intended. For some reason, I thought that Silent Legions was a 1930's era game. It COULD be played that way, I suppose, but it assumes a modern setting. I intended to make this a pulp explorer of a scholarly persuasion, but I rolled 3d6 straight down and that 18 in STR led me in a different direction.

I'll post my Day 16 character in a new post.

All the best,

TGIDragonfly

Day 16

Another Silent Legions character.

Samantha King

Class
: Investigator
Level: 1 (0 XP)
Background: Sailor
Connection: Another PC is a friend from college or high school.
Wealth: Average

ABILITIES
  • STR 13 (+0)
  • INT 12 (+0)
  • WIS 14 (+1)
  • DEX 14 (+1)
  • CON 7 (-1)
  • CHA 9 (+0)
SAVING THROWS
  • Physical Effect 15
  • Mental Effect 14
  • Evasion 12
  • Magic 16
  • Luck 13
SKILLS
  • Combat (Projectile) 0
  • Computer 0
  • Culture (Home) 0
  • Navigation 0
  • Perception 0
  • Research 0
  • Security 0
  • Vehicle (Water) 0
CLASS ABILITIES
  • Leading Whispers
COMBAT STATS
  • Attack Bonus: +1
  • Armor Class: 9
  • Hit Points: 5
EQUIPMENT
  • To be selected

Day 17: Old-School Essentials

I've got something a little different today (I'm also technically a few minutes early, but didn't want to risk another computer reboot overnight wiping out my work). I've created a Werewolf class based on the OSE Advanced Fantasy Barbarian class. As such I'm including the class fluff and class features in today's write-up. It's campy and cheesy as fuck. But that's just how I like it (see my sig). I apologize in advance for the length of the post.

*Werewolves use the Old-School Essentials Advanced Fantasy Barbarian prime requisite, requirements & progression tables. They are based loosely on the World of Darkness concept of a werewolf rather than on more traditional variations. They are not, however, copies.

---------------------------------------------
Character
Name
: Lukas Vetter
Class: Werewolf

HP: 6 AC: 9
GP: 60 XP: 0

Str: 12 Dex: 9 Con: 13 [+1]
Int: 10 Wis: 12 Cha: 6 [-1]

Equipment: None.

His wife and daughter were killed while he was out hunting. His frustration and rage at not knowing who to blame took him into the very heart of darkness. On one dark and moonless night, at the very height of his despair, as he lay crumpled and broken in some godsforsaken alley somewhere, a lady clothed in radiant light came to him. She knelt, and kissed him on the forehead. Then, she said "Rise, child of mine, and hunt the darkness". Then she was gone. He rose, not yet knowing he was already changed. But the pull to hunt was already there. Some days or weeks later he found himself in another dark alley. The smell on the men there somehow familiar. Rage welled up within him and the beast within came forward.

In the months since that night, he's made peace with what he now is. Rise, she'd said. Hunt the darkness. And so hunt he does.

Appearance: He's basically Joe Flanigan from the Stargate:Atlantis years. Only scruffy(er).

Class Fluff

There are many religions that worship Luna, the moon goddess. She pays no heed to any of them. Her children are those she chooses for her own capricious ends. To be a werewolf is to be blessed by her. Her gift is passed neither through bite nor blood. She will come to you, radiant in her splendor, in a dream. When you wake, you are hers. You are compelled through animal urges and unheard whispers in your mind to obey her primal call. Howl, child of the moon, and unleash your rage!

Class Features

Luna's blessing
: Werewolves gain the ability to change between man, wolf and hybrid forms at will. Transformation takes a round. Weapons, armor and clothing must be discarded prior to the transformation or be destroyed. Werewolves fight with tooth and claw.

Bestial rage: At 3rd level, werewolves get an additional attack action in combat. They get two additional attacks at 6th level and three attacks at 9th. If the werewolf is using their claws as their weapon, +1 damage at 1st level. This additional damage increases to +2 at 5th level and +3 at 10th level.

Bestial frenzy: During nights of the full moon, werewolves must make save vs Paralysis or be enraged, attacking everything in sight until subdued or until the sun rises. After sunrise following a night of frenzy, the beast within is both pacified and exhausted and the werewolf may not voluntarily change again until the night of the following sunrise.

Bestial speed: Werewolves are hard to hit, having the speed of the animal but intelligence of the man. They naturally have an AC of 7 in human form, an AC of 6 in wolf form and an AC of 5 in their hybrid forms. [Note: as this classed is based on barbarian, and barbarians can only wear up to chainmail, we assume chainmail AC values as being the upper limit for this class]

Regeneration: Each round of combat, werewolves heal 1d4 damage unless harmed by silver the previous round.

Silver allergy: Silver items do 1d4 damage to a werewolf that holds or touches them. Silver weapons do an additional 1d4 damage. The werewolf does not gain the benefit of regeneration on the round following being hit by a silver weapon.

Inspire delirium: The werewolf hybrid forms are terrifying to behold. Humanoid characters must make a save vs spells or be terrified, unable to act except to run in fear for 1d6 rounds. Because of the special bond werewolves form with their comrades, members of the werewolves adventuring party are immune to this effect. But this immunity extends only to the PC. If the party encounters another werewolf, the effects of delirium apply.

Strike Invulnerable Monsters: A werewolf of 4th level or higher is able to hit monsters that can normally only be harmed by magic. [this is the Barbarian class ability of the same name exactly].

*Note standard (1d6) damage is assumed by default. If using variable weapon damage then assume bite is 1d6 and claws are 1d8.

Day #16
Hyperborea (Astonishing Swordsmen and Sorcerers of Hyperborea 3rd edition)
Gilgidi
ClassFighter
RacePict
Height5'8"
Weight165 lbs
Light Blue Eyes, Light Auburn Hair, Ruddy skin
AlignmentNeutral
LanguageCommon,Keltic (Pict dialect)
Secondary SkillTeamster
STR15"+1att/+1dam/3:6test/16%xtroFeat"
DEX13"+1att/0/2:6test/8%xtroFeat
CON8"0/0/65%trama/2:6test/2%xtroFeat
INT80/na/na
WIS100/-/50%cleric learn
CHA7"-1React-Loyalty/3maxHench/-Turnadj
AC4
CA-
FA1
HD1
HP7
MV"+2 Death,+2Transfornation
SV16
TA-
"+8% extraordinary feats of strength
Class Abilities
Heroic Fighting
Weapon Master ( Broad Sword, Short Bow)
Inventory
Studded armour, large shield, short bow, arrows ×12, broad sword, arrow quiver, backpack, bandages, winter
blanket, soft leather pouch, iron rations (1 week), hemp rope (50-ft.), large sack, one-person canvas tent, tinderbox,
torches ×2, wineskin (full), and 3 gold pieces.

Day 17 Get your paws off me you dirty ape! It's Apes Victorious, an OSR take on Planet of the Apes.

Name: Lukos Class: Gorilla Soldier Level 1 - Private

Str: 13
Con: 5
Dex: 12
Int: 5
Cha: 12
Psi: 10

HP: 6
Melee To Hit +1
Melee Damage +1
Muscle Check 1-3
Save vs Radiation or Poison -2
Resist Trauma 50%
HP Mod -2

Defence Mod 0
Missile To Hit +0
Init Adjustment +0
Additional Languages: 0
Research and Technology -10%
Reaction Adjustment: 0
Subordinate Morale: 7
Psi point recovery 3 per 2 hours

Gorilla Abilities

+2 Save vs Fear
+2 PSI versus Fear Psi attacks
-2 PSI versus Illusions

Use all Weapons and Armour

52 Simian Gold Coins 9 Simian Silver Coins 5 Simian Copper Coins

Rifle with 50 rounds of ammo 1d10
Long Sword 1d8
Kevlar Vest (attk mod -2)
Riot Shield (attk mod -1)

Backpack
Bedroll
Winter Blanket
5 days of preserved Rations
Large Sack

Background: Young and excitable, Lukas has always been a sickly gorilla. But that doesn't stop him doing his duty as a soldier! He has never seen a human (apart from the primitive slaves on the planet) but if he does he is sure he will drive them back where they came from wherever that is! Lukas is not very bright.

Day 17: Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 2nd Edition, Green Ronin Publishing

Name: Dieter
Race: Human
Career: Student

Weapon Skill: 24
Ballistic Skill: 34
Strength: 31
Toughness: 38
Agility: 26
Intelligence: 38
Will Power: 38
Fellowship: 31

Attacks: 1
Wounds: 12
Strength Bonus: 3
Toughness Bonus: 3
Movement: 4
Magic: 0
Insanity Points: 0
Fate Points: 3

Height: 5'6"
Weight: 135 lbs
Hair: Black
Eyes: Purple
Marks: Broken Nose
Siblings: 2
Star Sign: The Witchling Star
Birthplace: Farming Village in Talabecland

Skills:
Academic Knowledge (History)
Academic Knowledge (Magic)
Common Knowledge (The Empire) +10%
Consume Alcohol
Gossip
Perception
Read/Write
Search
Speak Language (Classical) +10%
Speak Language (Reikspiel) +20%

Talents:
Linguistics
Savvy
Seasoned Traveler
Sturdy
Super Numerate

Equipment:
Writing Kit
History Textbook
Magic Textbook
Clothing (Shirt, Breeches, Worn Boots, Tattered Cloak)
Dagger
Backpack
Blanket
Wooden Tankard
Set of Wooden Cutlery
Hand Weapon (Club)
9 GC

Backstory: Dieter was born in a small farming village on the edge of the Great Forest in Talabecland. He showed a love of learning at a young age, and soaked up as much as he could be taught in the ways of arithmetic and basic literacy, but being far from a center of learning, his potential in his home village was limited. When he was of age, he set out to become a university student, and journeyed to Talabheim to do so. While Talabheim's university was not as well known as Nuln's or Altdorf's, to Dieter, it was still everything he always wanted. He worked various side jobs to pay for his tuition, and after he was admitted, focused his studies on history and magic. The more he learned of the latter, the more fascinating he found it, and realized that to truly learn about it, he would have to experience it directly. Thus, he has decided to conduct "field work", as he puts it, by becoming a part-time adventurer, and possibly an apprentice wizard in the future.

Internet was down but I'm not out. Trying to catch up today.

#15 Stars without number
I'll need to play with this as there are some interesting design choices. It uses 2d6 for skills but 1d20 for combat. Mods are low as you'd expect with 2d6 but that might make everyone too similar in combat. It also wants to be OSR but has more parts than most, with species, background, class, and focus. At least there are tons of tables.

Ovee was in med school when her psionic potential was recognized and she wound up dual trained. Her precognition and alertness makes her hard to surprise and she always seems to have the right tool for the job. She works as part of a drop team for small exploration outfits. Small companies have greater appreciation for people who can fill multiple roles and Ovee can be a scout, medic, and handyperson all in one. Her long term goal of exploration is to find some place where she can call home. She's had flashes of what it will look like but has no idea which planet it will be on.

Ovee, level 1, Human
Bacground: Physician
Class: Psychic
HP 5, AC 13

Str 13
Dex 10
Con 14 (+1)
Int 15 (+1)
Wis 12
Cha 10

Skills: Administer 0, Fix 0, Heal 1, Notice 0, Shoot 0, Precognition 1
Focus: Alert
Technique: Sense the Need
Equipement: Laser Pistol (1d6 damage), Backpack (TL0), Secure Clothing (AC 13), Medkit, 4 Lazarus patches, Compad,
2 doses of Lift, Bioscanner, 25 credits

For Day 16, I'll be using Unbelievably Simple Roleplaying 2.0. Over the years, I've looked at quite a few simple RPG systems that attempt to be universal and/or generic, and this appears to be one of the better ones. It's 21 pages, which includes an example of character creation and an example of play. I'm always happy when a game includes examples. I feel like it helps the reader get a better handle on the game, especially if they're not that familiar with RPGs.

Anyway, let's get to it! This system can be used for any genre, and I feel like playing the sort of high-action heroine who runs around in tight leather pants and high-heeled boots, dual wielding weapons to slay monsters, while probably being played by Milla Jovovich or Kate Beckinsale.

There are three stats, Action, Ego, and Wits. You assign a d10 to one, a d8 to another, and a d6 to the last. Well, obviously Action is going to be my highest stat!

Action d10
Ego d8
Wits d6

Next you figure your Hits by rolling your Action and Wits dice and adding them together. Hits function just like Hit Points from games that have HP, only with a shorter name.

Hits 11

Next, there are some questions to flesh out your character.

What are your character's motivations in life?
To slaughter as many of the invading alien monsters as she possibly can.

What are your character's likes and dislikes?
Likes wearing tight leather pants. Dislikes wearing dresses.

Where does your character want to be in 10 years?
Standing, with bloody machetes in hand, over the dismembered corpse of the alien overlord.

Where did your character grow up?
Parkland, Washington, USA, just south of Tacoma and just east of Joint Base Lewis-McChord.

What was their childhood like?
Pretty good and uneventful until the aliens invaded when she was 16. She's 24 now.

What is your character's biggest secret?
She blames herself for her parents getting killed by the aliens, even though there wasn't anything she could have done about it at the time.

Does your character have enemies?
Yes, of course. Every single one of invading aliens!

Next you choose three "Specialisms" for your character. I'm annoyed that they're called "Specialisms" and not "Specializations," but I'm still happy with the system. Specialisms are tied to attributes. Specialisms are up to the player, i.e. you don't have to choose them from a list, although there are some examples, and "must fit logically with the character and setting." So you can make up your own, but they're subject to GM approval, of course. Each Specialism is tied to an Attribute and gives you +2 when you make an Attribute roll using that specific Specialism.

Besides the example list, there are also three specific Combat Specialisms. So, for Shameka Kickasski's Specialisms, I'll take

Light Weapons (Action)
Medium Weapons (Action)
Intimidate (Ego)

Done! I would really like to try playing and/or GM-ing this game sometime.

Day 17:

Aranwë Cuaglar (
GURPS 4th fantasy character)

ST: 11
DX: 12
IQ: 10
HT: 12

ADVANTAGES:
Attractive; Less Sleep/2; Magery/0; Night Vision/7; Outdoorsman/2; Signature Gear/black bow (4 pts worth); Strongbow/2; Temperature Tolerance/2; Unaging.

DISADVANTAGES: Code of Honor (Elven); Compulsive Behavior/Seek knowledge; Enemy (Evil Empire, 12-); Loner; Planetbound/Forests; Poverty: Struggling; Sense of Duty/Forest dwellers.

SKILLS: Armoury (fletcher)-12; Bow-20; Brawling-12; Broadsword-12; Camouflage-13; Climbing-13; First Aid-10; Folklore (human taboos)-11; Jumping-14; Musical Instrument (drums)-10; Naturalist-10; Shadowing-12; Shield-12; Singing-11; Stealth-13; Survival (Forest)-16; Tactics-12; Tracking-13; Woodworking-12.

QUIRKS: "I can shoot anything"; Collects “trophies”; Homesick; Overconfident; Reserved to the point of rudeness

Aranwë is an Ilkorendi (high) elf doing the work of a primitive sylvan elf; he’s a guard on the forest fringe between the sylvan forest kingdom and the Evil Empire. He’s tall, burly for an Ilkoren, with cold grey eyes and black shoulder length hair. He’s not a brain, he’s quite weak in magic for an elf, even for his kind he’s not remotely a people person, and his skill at arms is only adequate for his job.

What he IS, though, is renowned as a woodsman – equal to the best sylvans – and he’s just about the best shot around. With his famous Black Bow (Fine quality and with a ferocious draw), he’s almost as good an archer as he thinks he is, which is pretty damn good indeed. Aranwë fights the Evil Empire as if he has a personal grudge, staying out in his tree stands in all seasons, picking off any border guard or settler who dares come near the verge of the forest, day and night. For the most part he’s patient and smart about it; he’s not going to stand his ground lobbing arrows at a company of soldiers. If odds aren’t in his favor, he’ll wait.

Because his ultimate goal is to spread terror. He will arrange a body next to a tree or a boulder, with sticks jammed in its eyesockets ... and if a male, missing a certain part which he’ll tie to a certain tree in the forest, one the humans hold in superstitious dread, for the birds to peck at. The Evil Empire has a price on his head now (I don’t include a Reputation because they don’t know more about him than “That fucking elf with the black arrows that does that sick thing to his victims”), but he’ll only quit when the humans leave.

Day #17
Searchers of the Unknown

Jimbo the Figher
(AC:2,MV3',HD 2, hp 9, #AT 1, Damage 1d8/1d6/1d4 Mace/Crossbow/Dagger )

Nigel the Mage
(AC:9,MV12',HD 2,hp 6,#AT 1, Damage 1d6 by Staff, [2]1st level spells per day [Sleep, Charm Person])

Doug the Cleric
(AC:4,MV6',HD 2, hp 2, #AT 1, Damage 1d8/1d4 Mace/Sling, Turn Undead, [1]1st level spells per day [Cure Light Wounds] )

- Well that was fast. Looking up how much I spent on Lulu.com I found this little game I picked up in 2013. Read it and made a small party in about 10-15 minutes.

Day 18:

Me!
(As a Fantasy Trip character)

Eh, might as well get creative, and plunk me into my fantasy world ...

ST 8
DX 9
IQ 15

Look, I'm 62 years old, in mediocre health, and that's the best I'm going to manage. I used to be fast, but that was a long time ago. So let's see about skills I'd reasonably have, still, AND which would be applicable to the world. Lawyer, yeah, whatever, but knowing Massachusetts law doesn't help me in the Kingdom of Warwik.

Talents: Sword (that is, at the level of skill represented by DX 9 and the level of inflicted damage represented by ST 8. I used to be good with a cutlass); Boating; Literacy; Bard; Charisma; Diplomacy; Poet; Courtly Graces; Tactics; Writing.

Huh. Got two points left over, but no skill I'd reasonably allow myself to take if I had my GM hat on and judging it. Some kind of adventurer I'd make.

EDIT: Picture below was when I was still doing the RL adventuring gig ... alright, that's 24 years ago.

Back when I was still fast ...

Day 18 - Flashing Blades Adventurers on the High Sea

Name:Berthelot Bruneau
Height: Average
Weight: Thin

Advantage: Double
Disadvantage: None

Background Pirate – Pilot
Social Rank: 1

Strength: 11
Dexterity: 13
Endurance: 12
Wit: 10
Charm: 14
Luck: 9

HP: 11
Encumbrance: 11

Skills

Pirate Patois
Fine Manipulation (Dexterity)
Pilot (Wit)
Disguise (Wit)

Shipboard Weapons
Brawling
Firearms

Brawling 9
Dagger 11
Cutlass 11
Longsword 11
Musket 10
Other Firearms 9

7 Livres

Ordinary Clothing, Pirate’s Knife (Counts as Dagger), Pet Monkey, Cutlass, 2 Lanterns, Navigator’s Tools, Makeup and assortment of wigs, Matchlock Dragon, Powder Horn, 20 x Powder and Shot

Carried: 7 1/2

Background: Berthelot was born into the lower classes in a port town, but soon decided he preferred the glamorous life of a pirate to that of drudgery. Charming and athletic, he fits into the stereotype of a storybook pirate unless you cross him and see his ruthless side.

Notes: I used Vulmea's house rules for this character. One suspects his double is much more likely to get in trouble from the likeness than he is!

Day 18: Mini Six

I'm short on time today, so I rolled D66 on the occupations table (in Jaws of the Six Serpents) and got "thug, enforcer". With that, I decided I wanted a Prohibition era mobster, who wants to go straight and embraces becoming a vigilante on his road to freedom. There's nothing fancy to this character. I split 1D into "pips" and allocated those as bonuses to Might and Agility. Then I spent all seven skill dice on skills I wanted, deciding to forego any "advantages", figuring this character would most likely be played in a more grounded setting. I gave him two complications that are appropriate to a mobster. Then gave him some gear. Finally a little fluff for his background and he's ready to go. I do figure he's got family and people he cares a lot about, but I don't know anything about them yet. At minimum, he's got a stereotypically large Irish family. There's probably a lady of interest in there too. And you can't play a game in this genre without a Catholic priest being important in some way or another. But all those are details that'll have to wait for the day this guy see's life at the table. Until then, I present...

Name: Martin Sullivan

Might - 3D+1
--- Brawling 4D+1
--- Knife 4D+1

Agility - 3D+2
--- Dodge 4D+2
--- Guns 5D+2

Wits - 2D
--- Notice 3D

Charm - 3D
--- Persuasion 4D

Block: 13
Dodge: 14
Parry: 9
Soak: 10

Complications: Wanted, Enemies
Weapons: Knife, Tommy gun [Dmg: 5D], Pistol [Dmg: 3D+2]
Gear: Striped suit (no armor value)

Background:
Nobody gets out. That's how it is. Nobody knows that as much as Marty Sullivan. Trouble is, Marty's had enough of the gangster life. He knows if he tries to get out, they won't just kill him, they'll make the people he loves suffer. Then they'll kill him.

So he's decided he's going to fight fire with fire. He'll be their worst nightmare. He'll thwart and unmake the mob from the shadows, and when his bloody work is done he'll wash his hands of it all. Maybe he'll even settle down with a dame and start a family.

Last edited:
Cord

Drive: Guardian

Might: Average Human
Agility: Spectacular Human
Toughness: Exceptional Human
Intellect: Spectacular Human
Knowledge: Exceptional Human
Willpower: Spectacular Human

Known Powers:
Plasticity/Elasticity: Cord has a malleable elastic body which can stretch, bend, mold and deform itself in uncanny ways. He has the consistency of very malleable clay, or a thick gum (comparable to a certain traidemarked toy putty.) He can solidify his body to the consistency of vulcanized rubber or go completely malleable. He has Spectacular Superhuman resistance to injury.

Superskill: Martial Arts
Combined with his ability to stretch and change his body, Cord is an incredible martial artist without his powers but combined with them he can reach even further making him one of the most strange and nigh-unbeatable mortal martial artist in his world he has Spectacular Superhuman Martial arts.

Modified SAGA system:

Prowess: 2 Cards: 4
Might: 7
Skills: Climbing, Wrestling
Agility: 8
Skills:Martial Arts!, Quick Departure, Slings, Ricochet
Intelligence: 8
Skills: Botany, Chemistry, Criminology. Languages
Resolve: 10
Skills: Survival, Teaching

Powers:
Plasticity: 11
Elongation 11
-Swinging

*Cord has mastered his power and his skill with agility based attacks via martial arts, he can add this skill to his Plasticity/Elongation power in order to make accurate, rapid martial arts strikes based on his flexibility.

Dr. Tobias Matthews is a botanist (specialized plant biologist) and is one of the leaders in a limited field of specialists focused on recovering lost and nearly extinct species. During a foray in China, he discovered a rare flowering plant who's pollen when processed had what at first he assume was hallucinogenic effects (the locals used it for healing purposes) however while studying it he discovered that the pollen when processed through bee's into honey created a honey that could in fact grant the ability to make oneself semi-amorphous.

Working with the locals (who had known some of the plant's real benefits, he removed all remaining survivors which he cultivated and now grows (along with a colony of the bee's known for processing it.) Some might see this as an act of colonialism but it they feared their own governments potential misuse of the flower who begged him to take every single example.

It took quite a bit of work, and a huge amount of paperwork to transport those samples from China as well as getting visa's and eventually allowing a small number of villagers to come with him who were willing to aid him in protecting the plant. The villager's of course recognize him as both the superhero Cord, and the botanist who aided them and consider him 'family' if a strange American branch.

Attachments

• Chord.jpg
    Chord.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 0
Day 18: Mobsters, Burger Games

Name: Jack "Tulip" Dunbar

Strength: 5
Health: 5
Agility: 6
Dexterity: 5
Intellect: 5
Education: 4
Willpower: 5
Charisma: 4
Appearance: 4

Skills:
Armed/Edged: 4
Dodge: 3
Hide: 3
Local: 3
Pistol: 5
Sneak: 5
Street Smarts: 4
Submachinegun: 3
Tail: 4
Unarmed: 4

Edges:
-- Officially dead: In a former life, Jack Dunbar was Salvatore Pirelli, a New York street hood who was dumped in the river and left for dead when he was on the losing side of a gang war. He survived, and made his way to New Orleans, where he created a new life for himself with the Diamond Street Crew, a small-time gang. There is no official surviving record of Jack's former life.
-- Gets edgy before an ambush: Jack has an elevated ability to sense danger, thanks to almost dying once before, and can anticipate an ambush with a difficult Intellect check (14 or better on 2d6+5).

Cons:
-- Strong code of honor that is hard to follow: Jack will never attack an opponent until he is attacked first.
-- Peculiar habit or quirk: Jack always wears some variety of tulip on his suit coat (or overcoat, in cold/rainy weather).
-- Weak enemy who is hard to get: The one person who knows who Jack really is, the private eye Thomas Kendrick, has little power but also has too many friends to be taken out easily. Dealing with him will require some delicate work.

Equipment: Thompson Submachinegun with 7 Drums, .45 Revolver with 50 Rounds, Knife, Suit, Trenchcoat, Bulletproof Vest, Shoulder Holster, 2 Months of Average Living Expenses (including rent), $94

#16 There and back again.

This is a one-sheet game by Ray Otus imagining Middle Earth as it stood when only The Hobbit existed. It's similar to Tiny D6 in that you roll a couple of d6's and succeed if you get any 5's or 6's, rolling extra dice if you have abilities that apply. My one complaint is that, if you are going to have ability scores, you should have more than 2, otherwise everyone's stats fall on a line.

Veet,
some kind of wizard?
Veet acts terribly mysterious and uses riddles when describing himself. He can do bits of magic
Toughness 4, Fate 6
Riddling: Outwitting someone,
Magic: pyrotechnics, take animal form

Caroin of the Door, proud yet disgraced noble dwarf
Caroin is best known for his heroic but ultimately failed defense of a mine raided by goblins. Now broken inside and largely without relatives, he travels looking for a way to redeem himself or at least die nobly.
Toughness 7, Fate 3
Fighting: Feats of Strength
Crafting: repairing, appraising

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back