Checking in on everyone.

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Silverlion

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
I lost a gamer friend due to too covid related issues last week, didn't find out until Sunday. With last week, and exhaustion over the weekend; I had a mini-anxiety/depression attack and checked a lot of people I know online; on Facebook, mostly in private messages. So now that I'm not panicking, is everyone here managing health-wise? Just checking because losing gamer friends suck, and most of you are good people, that I do care about.

OK, back from Indonesia in more or less one piece. Still recovering from a persistent case of cellulitis, which I got from an infected mosquito bite. I did get COVID in Indonesia but largely asymptomatic, which was a relief. So much isolation - I quarantined for two weeks when I arrived, tested positive so I had to wait another two weeks. Four of six weeks spent in quarantine. Fun Fun Fun.

Health-wise, I'm fine as ever, even if I have put on a bit of weight during lockdown. My medication is also working very well; I live on my own and the only people I've spoken to IRL since at least Christmas are my ex and my daughter, just like most of last year, and while online helps a lot it's also... not really a substitute. I don't think there's any way I could be getting through this at all without my happy pills.

A big mental health crisis is coming, and if you think you might be affected by it, get help now.

Health-wise, I'm fine as ever, even if I have put on a bit of weight during lockdown. My medication is also working very well; I live on my own and the only people I've spoken to IRL since at least Christmas are my ex and my daughter, just like most of last year, and while online helps a lot it's also... not really a substitute. I don't think there's any way I could be getting through this at all without my happy pills.

A big mental health crisis is coming, and if you think you might be affected by it, get help now.
I ran a semi-regular drinkies for London-based regulars of another online forum I was involved in (should try and resurrect it after COVID). From time to time I think a Zoom party for pubbers might actually be quite a good thing. Like the PNW crowd but virtual - in fact, maybe the PNW set or Merkins in general could do one and maybe we should hold one for the folks on this side of the ditch.

I lost my mother to Covid a couple of weeks back - she was 95 and had been in care then hospital for a while so we had a chance to reconcile ourselves to what we felt was almost inevitable. I live a good distance away from London where she lived and have had to make a choice between visiting her and protecting my wife who has asthma and as a result hadn't even seen mum for nearly 10 months and will be viewing the funeral via webcast; my wife is literally weeks away from the vaccine and to expose her now, after all this time, would be folly. It really has been one of those rock and a hard place choices.

I work in behavioural change so I've been drawing upon all the training I've completed to get me through the psychologically challenging side of things and it's really helped to ease some of the potentially darker moments. I know of a fair few people who have contracted the virus and made it through, most of them asymptomatically, which is a relief. I've been working from home (which has been brilliant) and trying to get out either running or walking every other day or so. Gaming has helped as well as music.

Sadly that help really isn't there for people.
It really is not. I'm fully aware how incredibly lucky that I have been in getting effective treatment the first time, with no runaround or "that drug made me want to step into traffic can I try a different one please" (Isn't the human brain fun!), albeit this was in the before times; the treatment for my other major condition was delayed for most of a year, but due to where I live a 21-month wait from referral to first appointment is still ahead of the national average by a year or two.

I'm happy to burn the spoons I do have to help people who have it worse than me; there's not a huge amount I can help with, but if I can I will. But I'm also just one woman; there's a limit to what I can do. We all - especially men, who are typically more conditioned to bottle things up rather than ask for help and are thus particularly vulnerable to mental health issues - need to look out for each other where we can.

We lost a member of our group at the end of last year (not covid related). It was a bit of a surprise to everyone. We hadn't heard from him in a bit and found out while he was in hospice. Very nice guy, and an important member of the group.

Our household and family has been pretty lucky as far as covid is concern. We did lose an elderly cousin last year (nursing home situation) when it first came but since the shutdowns and the masks, no one in our family has gotten sick. My wife is a waitress, so we do have to stay on our toes (people tested positive and they had to shut down for two weeks last month, and we got tested twice but luckily both of us were negative).

I'm fairly certain that I had Covid last March. Whatever it was it was worse than the flu, there was about a week where I was barely able to get out of bed to feed myself, but there wasn''t any of the classic symptoms, except some difficulty breathing. It was kind of a cherry on top of a crap cake of a first 3 months of 2020.
Honestly at this point I'm mostly worried that if I get Covid or get it again, I'll have to retake this quarter.
Mental Health-wise I got senioritis super bad, I've got a month left of classes before I'm done and am just mentally burnt out. Thankfully this is a relatively low stress quarter and the only major problem is trying to keep my weight from sky-rocketing due to the bread and pastries.
No family affected by covid so far thankfully, as pretty much everyone either can work from home or has a workplace that takes things seriously.
My group has fared just as well, one of the members sister had covid but it was an extremely mild case thankfully.
I hope you all are doing well, and that you're 2021 is turning out better than 2020!

Doing okay. The isolation is getting to us.

Thankfully, I'm managing with my stomach issues. No more chronic nausea as long as I'm careful and responsible. Alcohol is completely out of my diet. Been 100% sober for a solid year now.

So social isolation isn't as bad as it used to be.

I have this thing where whenever I leave the house now I throw up. Like not extended sickness, but it just swells up and happens once everytime I go out for some reason, then I''m OK. I assume that's not the Covid, but it's weird

I have this thing where whenever I leave the house now I throw up. Like not extended sickness, but it just swells up and happens once everytime I go out for some reason. I assume that's not the Covid, but it's weird

Could have a number of reasons. Unlikely to be anything “serious” but sounds very limiting, and I think you should definitely see someone about it.

Could have a number of reasons. Unlikely to be anything “serious” but sounds very limiting, and I think you should definitely see someone about it.

I suspect it's psychological. I've never had an excuse before in my life to stay at home for weeks on end, and I've definitely indulged in my misanthropic inclinations during the epidemic, to an admittedly unhealthy degree. Yeah, I should probably do something about it if it persists though, or better yet, I should force myself to get out more

I suspect it's psychological. I've never had an excuse before in my life to stay at home for weeks on end, and I've definitely indulged in my misanthropic inclinations during the epidemic, to an admittedly unhealthy degree. Yeah, I should probably do something about it if it persists though, or better yet, I should force myself to get out more
Take a short walk everyday, even if it's just walking out to get the mail. I found that helped during the early days and I didn't even have school as an excuse to go out.

It has been hard. Teaching my students online sucks beyond reason. The internet for them is so bad, it is like holding a seance every day, "John, are you there? Give us a sign!" Add in an indifference to even attempting the work, all I am doing is treading water trying to keep them afloat while they want to go back to school so they can hang with their friends (Ha! Good luck with that.) We are starting a hybrid schedule on the 22nd and that is going to be loads of fun. :thumbsdown:
I miss family, I have had to cancel traditional visits, same with friends. The usually places up in the mountains I visit to recharge have been closed down, either fire ravaged or because people trashed them.

I was thinking after this last bout of sore throat I had of how many times I’ve had some kind of ailment and went to the doctor for a bunch of tests only to be told that they didn’t know what it was and come back in a year. Some of the things were pretty concerning at the time. Occasionally they would go away or disappear but I always felt like my doctors were wondering if I was coo-coo because they couldn’t find anything. Either way, I would get a bill in the mail a couple weeks later.

I live with my old dad and he's getting his second vaccine shot this week. That will be a bit of relief.
The town we're in has been very stupid about following the guidelines. A friend of ours who had been out running around, eating in restaurants, going to indoor church, got the virus last month and, while she didn't die, she's still feeling like crap.
Several people I know have had it but only one death so far.
All my gaming is solo or online these days, which I'm fine with. I actually like the isolation, even the masks.

I'm doing well physically. Waiting on new glasses to come in cause apparently I've gone without for way too long, but otherwise I'm healthy.

Mentally it is interesting. I've worked from home for like... a decade now. I don't like going out. I'm a super homebody. Even before the pandemic I would often lose my shoes in the house because I didn't wear them for a week or two at a time.

But now that I can't really go out whenever I want... I think it is getting to me. I think because it was my CHOICE it didn't bother me. The option to just go do things if I wanted to, even if I didn't want to, was enough.

Also I just really want to have KBBQ and that is the kind of food that you have to eat THERE.

Quarantine has generally improved my mental health. The few people outside when I need to be outside are more frustrating than the usual batch, but there really are far, far fewer of them. I don't care for isolation, as a rule, but now that everyone else has to be isolated, too, the conditions of my isolation have improved.

This cold snap is fucking murdering me. I have an autoimmune arthritis, and despite having gotten my immunosuppressant infusion last week, I can still barely make it up and down the stairs between my office and the bathroom. And, of course, both our heater and our plumbing have given up the ghost at the same time everyone else in town's also have-- so the wait time for an "emergency" plumber is unpleasant.

I'm going to be able to get the COVID vaccine sooner than most. Thankfully, they're rationing them out based on who's most vulnerable rather than who's most essential-- I've got a bad heart, I've got bad lungs, I'm diabetic, and have I mentioned I'm taking immunosuppressants? So, at least soon, I will not have to worry about contracting the disease and possibly infecting others.

Mental and physical health is good. I have Bunny to keep me company IRL and I hang out online with friends several nights a week. While working I have the Pub and Youtube. I have First World problems like working too many hours and putting on weight.

I miss Korean BBQ as well, we have at least three (maybe more!) within a couple miles of us along with some great ramen and pho joints. I am not sure why but none of it tastes nearly as good at home.

That said there is a Korean fried chicken and pizza place within walking distance that does some great carry-out.

Quarantine has generally improved my mental health. The few people outside when I need to be outside are more frustrating than the usual batch, but there really are far, far fewer of them. I don't care for isolation, as a rule, but now that everyone else has to be isolated, too, the conditions of my isolation have improved.

This cold snap is fucking murdering me. I have an autoimmune arthritis, and despite having gotten my immunosuppressant infusion last week, I can still barely make it up and down the stairs between my office and the bathroom. And, of course, both our heater and our plumbing have given up the ghost at the same time everyone else in town's also have-- so the wait time for an "emergency" plumber is unpleasant.

I'm going to be able to get the COVID vaccine sooner than most. Thankfully, they're rationing them out based on who's most vulnerable rather than who's most essential-- I've got a bad heart, I've got bad lungs, I'm diabetic, and have I mentioned I'm taking immunosuppressants? So, at least soon, I will not have to worry about contracting the disease and possibly infecting others.
Praying for your health Viktor...

I'm doing okay mostly. Lost my father at the end of last year. We've had a strained relationship for many years, so I was wondering how I'd feel when he passed away. Turns out I was okay - so okay that I hid the fact from family members to keep from offending them.

Next week my cat loses an eye to keep a malignant melanoma from spreading. She's not young any more, so I'll be nervous until I hear that she's come through it.

My city is in day two of what's expected to be a three-day lockdown because we have a handful of Covid cases and no clear vector for how it arrived. It's the UK variant, so we're all a bit concerned. We've had our first delivery of vaccines, so I expect the campaign to dish them out will begin soon. I might be in the first round as a chronic asthma sufferer.

I'm okay, haven't had to deal with Covid yet, despite a scare at work where a few co-workers did test positive (they're all reasonably okay). Haven't been able to get the vaccine yet, despite being an 'essential worker' (which is bullshit, we're a goddamned arts and crafts store, for fucks sake... but money talks, I suppose). I suppose I should be grateful that I kept working, but the fact that I have to deal with so many customers who legitimately don't give a rat's ass about anyone else's well-being hasn't exactly done wonder for my mental state of being.

I'm pretty sedentary and introverted (and occasionally a bit misanthropic), so I don't mind for the most part not being able to go out as much, but like EmperorNorton EmperorNorton I miss having the option to do so when I feel like it. I'm grateful that we've been able to continue our gaming groups online, otherwise I would be a lot more tetchy.

I hold sorrow for those of you who had losses. Due to trauma I've had social anxiety for years now, I was just sorting out going to a few more than I had before places when Covid hit. My mom is going nuts, so I might be murdered, but she can't walk well or see, and I'm down a step, so I've got some protection (My mom isn't sweet, but she's got a good heart, I doubt she'll murder me if I can get her somewhere out--despite my concerns for her catching covid. I've been safe as I can be, and courier for runs to stores for a few things for us that we needed and couldn't get delivered. That is where I got covid in November. It was mild for me, and I'm glad for that

I was just regaining energy recently when another virus hit--but the covid test was negative, but my energy and creativity is down. I am tired of being sick and tired of being tired.

I miss gaming at the comics store, as it was a nice social outlet for me and my friends, and I lost 2/3 of the group moving it online. Mind you my social anxiety has helped me here. My counseling was finished just as covid hit (and I've got tools to deal with it mostly) I can also get online counseling elsewhere, or even from the main doctor I'm sure through a video chat, but I'm holding together except for Saturday when I found out and the next morning--I hadn't slept much, my dog needed outside as I passed a window I saw a big male Rottweiler in my front yard and tried to lure him into my house gently, but he ran off and was gone before I could get back to the other door (side) exit. I was in boxers and socks. That's all, and it was below 20F here Sunday.

I will say that you must understand that I'm a little overprotective of dogs, as they've been lifesavers for me at times when my depression was the worst, and a couple of years back the poor pitbull our neighbors kept died from exposure (it didn't even get this cold, and it broke my heart), I hated her being there, but not much I can do police here won't usually take a dog for being chained up in bad weather, or animal control...sighs, I mean if I could have convinced her, and I had bold cutters I was ready to climb the fence to save her, but arrgh. I haven't had the money for the bolt cutters I needed for the monster chain they put on her, and she was aggressive, which prevented me from acting on my instincts and drive. (I've rescued a lot of dogs over the years, by picking them up off the street and trying to find owners. Fortunately, they were all owned, but the urge to strangle people for no chip/no tags is huge.)

My current Great Dane is a rescue. But from the pound, and she made it by days before she'd have died from starvation. Some of you saw that pic. They gave the miserable bastard who owned her his "other" dogs back. Then, they killed them all in the shelter to put in a new floor. Stupid tiny nearby town...f..... erg.

The first dog I found and "rescued" was a Dane, he was a big gray dog, and his knee was skinned up, and I called him to me, and he went to the wrong side of my truck to get to me. It was an '81 F-150, which I suspect had a slight lift kit in it--I don't know all I know is I had to step up into it and I'm 6' 1. So when he looked over the bed, I laughed, because he was /that tall/ then he came around and climbed right up into the truck. I was at home and had to get him out to take him inside. I made sure our small dogs were put up (my parents' dogs.) He was a gentle, big, sweetheart, and while we called the pound they were told three times if his parents weren't found call us, we'd adopt him. (He DID have a collar and tags, and I called, but no answer, this was before I had a cellphone, or he'd have stayed with me while I did errands.

I've been a HUGE fan of Danes ever since. Got one from accidental breeding for cheap, because she technically wasn't "sellable" by proper breeders as she was a double merle, and one of the best dang dogs I've owned, and that's saying a lot--she saved me from suicide by simply knocking down the door and standing over me. I was so weak from crying my best tries failed anyway, but she kept me from trying other things by just being there.

When she passed I got Tesla a few months later--by then married to my now ex, and Tesla was a mutt, a stocky shorter dog with lab features, but built like a fireplug. (70lbs, Cu Sidhe my Dane had maxed to 160. So I called her "small".) Tesla was a dog for someone who needed a "nanny dog", an elderly adult I expect, and my suspicion was that someone discarded her when said elderly person passed. She wasn't trained the same as a proper service dog, but still. She was just TOO observant to things, made sure to herald we were coming, or someone else was; and when my grandmother fell (I was back at home after my divorce) she came and would NOT let up barking and pointing me somewhere, which was to the far end of my house where my grandmother had fallen. Once saved, the dog kept doing things that made me suspect she'd learned, or been taught to at least do a few things. Smart. Also a fantastic wonderful dog. Not quite the angel Cu Sidhe was, but definitely working her way there.

So yeah, I'm a loon and had a mini-anxiety/depression attack because I lost a friend and couldn't save a big (healthy looking) rottweiler from the cold, and the fact that I was headed to do so in my boxers and socks was only stopped because of Gracie--my Dane now at a svelte 140 odd pounds rocket ship build and stepped up to go with me, and that well would not be good with an unknown dog. Kicked my sense right a bit.

I've got my good happy drugs, and I'm good at social isolation. I miss working, but I'm trying to do my game and novel writing. Slowly. But my pace is abysmal because of my sleep schedule which is highly erratic.

So thanks for coming to my self Ted-Talk, and bless you, and stay strong. I've got some love for you folks. I worry when some of y'all go missing.

addendum to my earlier post:

We've been working all the time since the pandemic started. There have been a few covid cases at work, but they all caught it from a external sources and there haven't been any outbreaks in the workplace itself.

My family and friends all seem to be doing fine as well.

Lost my father at the end of last year. We've had a strained relationship for many years, so I was wondering how I'd feel when he passed away. Turns out I was okay - so okay that I hid the fact from family members to keep from offending them.
I've been there, kind of. I did feel bad after my mother passed away but it was due to realizing the pressure she had put on us at times while we were growing up, mostly inadvertently but no less harmful for it, was now gone. I felt sad for feeling relieved and there's no way I can ever share that with any of my family without them misunderstanding and being offended. Fortunately my wife understands it just fine.

edit:
Considering how common it is, it's actually kind of sad that having ambiguous or even negative feelings about family members who died is almost impossible to talk about.

Last edited:
I feel bad for preferring lockdown to real life. Before lockdown, my life was work and a 2 weekly vampire larp. Since lockdown I do half as much work, I'm playing a couple of games online (Mage and L5R) and running my own campaign. It's introvert paradise!

I'm lucky I work in further education and I can get away with doing a lesson or three a week. The rest of my time is admin or getting stuff ready for the following weeks. So far Covid is one of those things that has happened to other people.

Lost my father at the end of last year. We've had a strained relationship for many years, so I was wondering how I'd feel when he passed away. Turns out I was okay - so okay that I hid the fact from family members to keep from offending them.
i know that feeling as well. It's a hard thing when you don't want to lie about it, you don't want to be judged about it, and you don't want the conflict. Stay strong.

The three things I miss are extended family, in person gaming and book/thrift stores.
I'm a bit surprised I don't miss eating out more. For the most part Covid hasn't been too bad
I get to see my cousin every so often, which has been good. with the whole state being phase 2, that should be easier.

in person gaming is my big one. we already have a shindig planned for when we can have it again.

eating out - i miss the restaurant part, but not the food. we've been doing hello fresh for some new ideas and forced experimentation and it's been quite successful. i'd take it over most restaurants

I get to see my cousin every so often, which has been good. with the whole state being phase 2, that should be easier.

in person gaming is my big one. we already have a shindig planned for when we can have it again.

eating out - i miss the restaurant part, but not the food. we've been doing hello fresh for some new ideas and forced experimentation and it's been quite successful. i'd take it over most restaurants
The part I do miss is the not cooking and cleaning. Doing that for six people for every meal for a year s getting old. Especially since everyone is a critic. It's not healthy enough in the wife's opinion. It's not W,X,Y or Z for the kids. No shit. I didn't plan on being the chef.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back