Chili

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Reaction score
I don't usually use thickeners in my chili, but sometimes it's unavoidable when you're in a hurry. Cornmeal probably works quite well although I haven't tried it. My go to is gravy thickener, bistro brand usually, but any cornstarch based product will give you that translucent look if you use to much and that's not a good look for chili.

Lofgeornost

Robot Head from Pluto!
Reaction score
I don't usually use thickeners in my chili, but sometimes it's unavoidable when you're in a hurry. Cornmeal probably works quite well although I haven't tried it. My go to is gravy thickener, bistro brand usually, but any cornstarch based product will give you that translucent look if you use to much and that's not a good look for chili.

That's a good point. One thing I like about masa is the corn flavor it gives--I really like that in combination with chili spices. I normally eat chili either with cornbread or tortilla chips, to get that corny goodness.

By chance, I made chili last night. Since I didn't have any masa or cornmeal, I put some corn kernels into the chili, and ate it with cornbread from a local market. Looking over the thread, I realized that I use more spice than many people: about 2.5 tablespoons of chili powder for 1 pound of meat + 1 can of black beans and 1 can of diced tomatoes. I think I may use less cumin, though--my ratio of it to chili powder is 1/3. In part this is because I prefer that for taste, but I'll admit to being a little light on cumin because of its cost--it's a pricey spice.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Reaction score
Who doesn't love corn in their chili? Another corn related option is to take kernels, roasted if you like, and blitz them into a paste, which acts a decent thickener. I'd probably want to make sure it gets some direct heat if you aren't used roasted corn, but that's a taste thing, it'll thicken either way. I use pureed and sautéed onion and garlic in a very similar way to thicken my curries.

Ronnie Sanford

Legendary Member
Reaction score
That's a good point. One thing I like about masa is the corn flavor it gives--I really like that in combination with chili spices. I normally eat chili either with cornbread or tortilla chips, to get that corny goodness.

By chance, I made chili last night. Since I didn't have any masa or cornmeal, I put some corn kernels into the chili, and ate it with cornbread from a local market. Looking over the thread, I realized that I use more spice than many people: about 2.5 tablespoons of chili powder for 1 pound of meat + 1 can of black beans and 1 can of diced tomatoes. I think I may use less cumin, though--my ratio of it to chili powder is 1/3. In part this is because I prefer that for taste, but I'll admit to being a little light on cumin because of its cost--it's a pricey spice.
Do you put chocolate in your chili?

Ronnie Sanford

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I don't. I'd be interested to try it for myself, but my wife (despite liking chocolate a lot) does not enjoy it in savory foods.
Chili (and barbecue) is something of an obsession in TX and a lot of people here use chocolate. It solves the consistency issue I think.

Cthulhu Mythos - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com