Christmas One-Shots - players wanted!

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

PolarBlues

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
I want to try something out and run a few Christmas themed one-shots for the Pub. This is in part to spread a little Christmas cheer, but also get at little more playtesting for my latest Fudge variant. But mostly to spread a little Christmas cheer.

My experience is trying to get something going online can be really hard so here's me trying to be super-organised.

I've got I've got three different loosely Christmas themed adventures spanning different genres ready and four proposed time slots. If this is of interest, just respond to this thread list your prefernces for adventures and time slots (as many as you like). With any luck that might produce a shortlist of viable dates and games. That's the theory at least.

The Adventures
A1 Victorian occultists hired to investigate a haunted house with some oddly familiar ghosts.
A2 Bootleggers in Badger's Bluff, Montana during a plupish, ahistorical version of Prohibition.
A3 Traditional fantasy party, hot on the trail of bandits, gets caught up in something entirely different.

The Slots
All games are scheduled to start at 19:00 UTC (GMT).

T1 Thur December 9
T2 Sun December 12
T3 Tues December 14
T4 Thur December 16

Each game should not run more than 2 hours, 2 1/2 hour tops.

The Rules
The rule system used for these adventures can be found here: https://ukrpdc.files.wordpress.com/2021/10/polarfudge-beta-011.pdf . This is still a draft (hence the playtesting aspect). You'll need two d6s of different colours or if we all have Fudge dice we can use those instead.

Pregenerated characters for each adventure will be provided to save time, but you can create your own in advance if you prefer. It's a pretty simple system.

The Tech
We'll just me using the Pub's own Discord channel for audio (#Game or #Game 02 if the former is occupied), basic theatre of mind, and honour system for dice rolls so you should need to sign up to or download anything more to join.

Let me know if you're interested or have any questions.

Last edited:
I'm up for any of the adventures. My schedule is evolving so Sunday would be the only definite but the others might be possible.

Huh, so UTC is EST +5. That makes the weekdays tough for me as your games start at 2pm my time and I'm not done work until 5pm. I might be able to play the Sunday slot though.

Yeah, UTC is EST+5 which is always going to be hard for folks who aren't in Europe, sorry. I made sure there was at least one weekend slot for that reason, though weekends have their own challenges.

I'm good to go for that Sunday. Half my family is still in Norway and will be until the 20th, so my weekends are pretty free. Audio over Discord is fine. Video depends on the day with my crap internet.

Great. Not planning to run video, just audio. I may occasionally share my screen if visual aids are needed.

I haven't played a Western in an age. Any chance that could be the Sunday slot (depending on what everyone else wants of course)? I'll happily play any of the three listed games though.

Probably not for this Sunday slot, but it may be we work something out further down the line? I like westerns, ran a short western campaign earlier this year which I enjoyed.

Probably not for this Sunday slot, but it may be we work something out further down the line? I like westerns, ran a short western campaign earlier this year which I enjoyed.
Sorry, you said bootleggers in Montana, which sounded pretty Western to me. I wasn't advocating for a different game. If I can wear a cowboy hat and shoot people with a sixgun over spilled whiskey then my head says 'Western'.

Update:

Assuming Gringnr Gringnr Stan Stan and Fenris-77 Fenris-77 are still available, a Sunday 12 game looks viable. There still room in this game if anyone else is interested.

I'll be running the Victorian occultists hired to investigate a haunted house with some oddly familiar ghosts adventure as it's the most polished of the three, and I I only get to run one as part as this initiative, that's the one.

Below in the Spoilers section are a few bare bones characters you can pick and customise. You can also create your own characters in advance using the rules linked above, that would be quite helpful. If you need any more inspriation, just think in terms of Victorian Ghostbusters whose focus is as much debunking frauds as it is to banish genuine spooks.

As for the other days, the Thursday 9th slot is officially withdrawn. I'll leave the other dates open for now, just in case.

scholar.jpg

bodyguard.jpg

engineer.jpg

investigator.jpg

psychic.jpg

I'd like the scholar on the basis that they have a sword cane.

I'm in for Sunday. I'll take the PI, unless someone else wants them. I'm not picky.

I'm so sorry, I was just hit with a new family obligation and will have to drop out of Sunday. I was really looking forward to it. :cry:

I'll take the bodyguard, at least for now. We'll see what the group shapes up like and I don't mind changing it up if necessary.

It 19:00 UTC which is 2 PM EST.
We'll be using The Pubs Discord servers, voice channel "Game". I'll PM the players the Discord invite link though I don't think you'll need it.

Thanks, PolarBlues PolarBlues ! Great time!

Worst. Ghost hunters. Ever.

Thanks for playing, I enjoyed that very much. I love that you guys "un-banished" the ghost. Some times you just got to do what you got to do.

If it's any consolation, when I ran this scenario once before, that party was also unsucessful in reforming Mr Blightley's. They took a very different "Freaky Fridfay" body-swap style approach but when it came to that final, critical roll, things just didn't quite pan out for them either.

I'm withdrawing the remaing slots as I don't think at this point at this point we're going to get enough sign ups to make them viable. That's OK, this was alaways going to be a tall order, especially with the Euro timezones. I am glad we got one game going with very little overhead and I may well try to offer occassional Pub one-shots in the new year.

Thanks for a fun time yesterday!

Consider more weekend sessions in the future. Makes the time zone dance easier for working folks than on weekdays.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back