Cobblefell IC

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
3,451
Reaction score
6,739
August 5th, a sunny Friday,

You awake just after dawn to the comforting smell of curing tobacco and a whiff of wood smoke from the pot stove. Emmet must be making tea. The light of the rising sun glances through cracks between the slats in the barn wall and dust motes dance in the rays. Outside, you can faintly hear Aldo Grinnel signing some sort of folksong, probably while he putters in his garden. Perhaps your adventuring writ will arrive today and you can get off your collective asses and get to the riches and glory part of this benighted trip. Mostly your days in the past fortnight have consisted of checking the notice board outside of the Chancery office in the town square, checking in with the Chancery office about your Writ, and, maybe, trying to grub up some piece work so that you don't go broke while you're sitting around waiting. Beyond that you've met some people, nice and otherwise (mostly otherwise) and learned a few things about what makes Cobblefell tick.

What do you do?
 

Banzai550

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2020
Messages
79
Reaction score
152
Yu greets the sunny day and heads for the Chancery office by way of the clearing he has adopted as his makeshift shrine. After an hour of meditation and nothing but good thoughts on our writ, he checks in with the clerk. "Do you have news for us that will rival this beautiful day?"
 

Tulpa Girl

"Hello, motherf*ckers!"
Joined
Nov 14, 2018
Messages
2,957
Reaction score
10,040
After some stretches and her usual morning arcane meditations, Sathia will check in with the hirelings, to see if there is anything noteworthy that she and the others should know about.

She will also take some time to appreciate the pleasant beginning of the morning for what it is. Aldo's joy while attending his garden reminds her of simpler times, back in her younger days, just another young girl helping out on a farm.

As always, her constant companion, the luminescent crab known as Y'kunitoth, says nothing. At least, not out loud.

Seeing that Yu has headed off to the Chancery, Sathia decides to finally speak to Tamora, though there is no guarantee the reunion will end favorably. She will head to the heart of the village, where she hopes she can find her old friend, preferably away from the rest of Kaeyla's entourage.
 

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
3,451
Reaction score
6,739
Aldo waves at you as you leave the barn.

OOC: IS anyone else heading to the CHancery Office?

Bunch Bunch @BrockSavage @hawketefan Séadna Séadna
 

hawkeyefan

Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 1, 2020
Messages
548
Reaction score
997
Teemo’s worried about possibly running into Fenn, so he avoids the chancery as much as possible. He’ll leave that to Yu.

From what he’s seen of Sister Kaeyla and the Brotherhood, he’s not a fan. If Sathia’s mentioned going to see one of them, he’d likely tag along with her, just to keep an eye out. If she’d prefer to go alone, then he’d likely stay at the farm and see if Aldo needs a hand.

Tulpa Girl Tulpa Girl want Teemo to go with Sathia?
 

Tulpa Girl

"Hello, motherf*ckers!"
Joined
Nov 14, 2018
Messages
2,957
Reaction score
10,040
hawkeyefan hawkeyefan OOC: Sathia would not have mentioned her intentions. That said, she may well have appeared to be more tense and nervous than usual, so it's not unreasonable that someone might want to see what she's up to.
 

hawkeyefan

Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 1, 2020
Messages
548
Reaction score
997
Teemo sees Sathia preparing to head into town. She seems a bit jumpy, so he walks over. "I see your heading into town," he says. "Anything I can help with? You seem a bit distracted."
 

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
3,451
Reaction score
6,739
Teemo: There are about 20 Rangers stationed here, but usually only a handful in actual residence. They spend the majority of their time on patrol. You haven't seen Fenn for a couple of days, so he's probably on the road and not likely back for a week or more.

hawkeyefan hawkeyefan
 

Brock Savage

Cosmic Barbarian
Joined
Jun 17, 2019
Messages
2,522
Reaction score
5,493
Gor wakes at dawn with a titanic hangover and begins a set of pushups in the dust that ends with a series of sword katas. The bronzed giant is more laconic than usual this morning, acknowledging his host and companions with a grunt or perhaps a nod. The days plan's include 1) shop for a bottle of decent liquor and a quiver of javelins and 2) look up this Kaelya person and find Sasha Nobody and 3) find some other work if the writ isn't ready, hopefully Sasha can set something up.
 

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
3,451
Reaction score
6,739
The Brotherhood of the Flame has a camp just to the north of town. A neat double line of tents next to a rented cabin. They are in and out of town regularly. Their main hangout is the Grinning Pig tavern. Where are you guys planning to look them up?

Brock Savage Brock Savage Tulpa Girl Tulpa Girl
 

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
3,451
Reaction score
6,739
The Chancery office is in the town square. The clerk, Dorrin Quinn is already busy behind his desk, quills lined up in neat rows. He glances up and smiles thinly. "Ah, Yu again," he says. "Ahhh, that doesn't get old," he chuckles. "Sorry my friend, nothing about your writ". He pushes his glasses back up his nose and shuffles some papers. "I thought I noticed some new notices on the board outside though, feel free to take a look."

Banzai550 Banzai550
 

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
3,451
Reaction score
6,739
Yu checks the board. No job too small, no fee too large...
You friend Americk has a post requesting help with poachers. This would be odd from another Holt, but you know Americk's woodsman passed away recently.
 

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
3,451
Reaction score
6,739
Gor wonders aloud what kind of lousy tavern doesn't offer drinks to a working man at the start of his day and makes his way to the camp.
The kind that just kicked the last of them out and is getting cleaned up for today's business?
Yu removes Americk's post and goes to see Americk.
Americk lives some hours North and West. He'll be in town this evening for the Council meeting.
 

Banzai550

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2020
Messages
79
Reaction score
152
Yu thinks the better of it and just returns to the barn.
 

Tulpa Girl

"Hello, motherf*ckers!"
Joined
Nov 14, 2018
Messages
2,957
Reaction score
10,040
hawkeyefan hawkeyefan

Teemo sees Sathia preparing to head into town. She seems a bit jumpy, so he walks over. "I see your heading into town," he says. "Anything I can help with? You seem a bit distracted."
"I am," Sathia admits, a bit annoyed with herself that she had not hidden her emotions better. "Enough so that I had momentarily forgotten that the Grinning Pig won't be open for a bit, if nothing else."

She pauses briefly, trying to focus her thoughts,. "One of Kaeyla's group... I don't know what name she uses among them, but I knew her as Tamora. She was my best friend, back when we were both apprenticed to the Loremasters at the Lyceum in Ultha-Khun." She pauses again, this time to see by his reaction Teemo may or may not have heard of the Loremasters or that dark city. "When I was twelve I had to flee the Lyceum and that city on, let us say, short notice. If it wasn't for Tamora I would almost certainly be dead. But... I don't know what cost she paid, if any, to help me. I don't know if she would still call me friend or not."

"Furthermore, I don't know if whatever reason she gave to Kaeyla for joining the Brotherhood is her real reason for doing so or not. I don't know what function she serves within that group... and I don't know if she is still in service of the Loremasters or not. I've put off doing this until now, but I need to know, one way or the other. If she would still call me friend, then that may possibly aid us in the future. If not, well, at least I'll know... assuming I don't get assassinated in the middle of the night for knowing who she is."

"I hoped to find her today, either at the tavern or somewhere else in Cobblefell. It's probably best if I can speak to her with no one else around, at least none of the other number of the Brotherhood. That said... if you just happened to be nearby, in case things go awry, well, I can't really stop you, can I?"
 
Last edited:

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
5,385
Reaction score
10,185
Tulpa Girl Tulpa Girl
Daraja sits in meditation pose enjoying the warmth from the sun beams coming through the cracks in the barn's wall.

She opens one eye on hearing Sathia mention a dark city and 'Loremasters'. The most unusual thing she's heard since arriving here.

Still maintaining the meditation pose she speaks to Sathia "You wouldn't be opposed to anybody else being nearby would you?"
 

Tulpa Girl

"Hello, motherf*ckers!"
Joined
Nov 14, 2018
Messages
2,957
Reaction score
10,040
Séadna Séadna
Daraja sits in meditation pose enjoying the warmth from the sun beams coming through the cracks in the barn's wall.

She opens one eye on hearing Sathia mention a dark city and 'Loremasters'. The most unusual thing she's heard since arriving here.

Still maintaining the meditation pose she speaks to Sathia "You wouldn't be opposed to anybody else being nearby would you?"
"No, not opposed," Sathia responds to the young... priestess? cleric? living vessel? "I appreciate the offer. I don't mind admitting I'm more than a little nervous about this. Mind you, since we're known associates of each other, it may seem odd that we're distancing from each other, while actually still close enough to help should something go awry. I suppose the circumstances of when she is separate from her comrades, whether it be inside the Grinning Pig, or elsewhere in Cobblefell, will dictate the best approach."
 

hawkeyefan

Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 1, 2020
Messages
548
Reaction score
997
Séadna Séadna

"No, not opposed," Sathia responds to the young... priestess? cleric? living vessel? "I appreciate the offer. I don't mind admitting I'm more than a little nervous about this. Mind you, since we're known associates of each other, it may seem odd that we're distancing from each other, while actually still close enough to help should something go awry. I suppose the circumstances of when she is separate from her comrades, whether it be inside the Grinning Pig, or elsewhere in Cobblefell, will dictate the best approach."

“Well then, how about you let Daraja and I come along? If you see your friend but she’s with any of the Brotherhood, we can perhaps distract them for you....give you the chance to talk to her alone.”

The thumb of his right hand twitches nervously in the gap where his middle finger used to be. “Hopefully it won’t be Kaeyla, though,” he says, “She seems like a bit of a fan...” he trails off, his eyes awkwardly darting toward Daraja for a moment, and then back to Sathia. “Well, let’s just say I don’t think I’d like her much.”

Teemo runs a hand through his hair. “Shall we go?”
 

Bunch

E-Rocker is a goose.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
8,931
Reaction score
14,376
OOC - I hope I've skimmed this correctly

Avral wakes up late enjoying no longer being under someone's thumb. He looks around seeing everyone gone but Yul and asks "Where's everyo?"
 

Banzai550

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2020
Messages
79
Reaction score
152
Yu finds Aldo. If he is in his garden, tries to find a way to be helpful and asks about Americk. If he isn't in the garden he still asks about Americk without being helpful at all. "Do you expect to see Americk around here anytime soon? I know he has council business tonight but I have need of him away from prying eyes."
 

Bunch

E-Rocker is a goose.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
8,931
Reaction score
14,376
Avral watches as Yul ignores him and heads off looking for someone/something.

He hopes up to follow. "Hey what's the rush? Where are you heading? Can we stop for a second so I can get coffee and a bite to eat before running around? "
 

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
3,451
Reaction score
6,739
Aldo is sitting in the shade on his porch, enjoying a nice pipe and reading a book.

"A'yup," he answers, "Americk should be by this afternoon, he usually drops by before a council meeting. I'm guessing this about his poaching problem? He mentioned it the last time he was here, that something had been after his sheep. I'd guess it's gotten worse or he wouldn't have been asking for help. Prideful fellow is Americk." Aldo taps ashes onto a plate and tamps a new plug of tobacco into his pipe, and then carefully lights it with a coal from a tin and inhales deeply. "Ahhhh," he says "that's the good stuff. Are you considering helping Americk out? I'd put in a good word for you...."
 

Banzai550

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2020
Messages
79
Reaction score
152
"If he needs help, I will do what I can. If I can't handle it, I'm sure my compatriots would love the opportunity to assist. I think you can feel the restless tension building while we wait for our writ to come through."
 

Banzai550

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2020
Messages
79
Reaction score
152
Bunch Bunch "Sorry, didn't mean to ignore you. I'm done my travelling for the day. I'll put the water on if you get the tea and coffee ready."
 

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
3,451
Reaction score
6,739
"Well," says Aldo, "if he posted it that means he's willing to pay, and I know ye'v been looking for work. He doesn't have a ton of spare coin, but I suspect he'll make it worth your while. I'll come knock on your door when he gets here if that would suit."
 

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
3,451
Reaction score
6,739
So Avral and Yu are drinking tea and waiting for Americk to show up. You have a couple of hours if there's something else you want to get up to.

Sathia, Daraja and Teemo (and Gor?) are heading to the Brotherhood camp. They are known to not be terribly friendly about people coming to their camp, so you may want to agree on a approach before you get there. Lemme know and I'll roll it out.

Tulpa Girl Tulpa Girl hawkeyefan hawkeyefan Séadna Séadna Brock Savage Brock Savage
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
5,385
Reaction score
10,185
Daraja will accompany Sathia, but always a few steps behind in a manner suggesting she is Sathia's retainer or even servant. She's interesting in seeing Cullic up close since she's heard so many rumours about him. If Sathia approves Tulpa Girl Tulpa Girl
 
Last edited:

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
3,451
Reaction score
6,739
OOC: What's the plan for announcing yourself to the camp? What I mean is, who are you 'here to see'? Sasha seems safe, but I'm not sure if you want to announce that you're here to see Tamora, or even if that the name she's using. The reputation of the Loremasters would suggest that she may not be if she's still a part of the organization.

Here's what you know, Sasha seems to working as a scout for the Brotherhood, under her own name, and Tamora may be their current Mage, but you haven't been able to find out for sure.

The rumours about Cullic are mostly about how big he is and that he's a remorseless killer. There's a whiff of 'he can't be natural' too but nothing solid.
 

Brock Savage

Cosmic Barbarian
Joined
Jun 17, 2019
Messages
2,522
Reaction score
5,493
OOC Gor is gonna play it cool and succinct, he is in the neighborhood on unrelated business and checking up on an old friend.
 

Tulpa Girl

"Hello, motherf*ckers!"
Joined
Nov 14, 2018
Messages
2,957
Reaction score
10,040
OOC: wasn't looking to go into their camp - specifically was wanting to try to meet her when the others in Kaeyla's retinue aren't directly around. Either in the inn or elsewhere in the village, outside their camp.
 

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
3,451
Reaction score
6,739
Well, perhaps treat this as a scouting expedition then. At the very least it'll be interesting to see the dynamics of the Brotherhood camp first hand.
 
Cthulhu Mythos - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Top