Cobblefell IC

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

hawkeyefan

Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 1, 2020
Messages
595
Reaction score
1,096
Ha sorry guys...been a while since I read the rules. I knew it was something like that, but not the specifics!
 

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
3,846
Reaction score
7,581
I don't mind being the font of all knowledge.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
5,538
Reaction score
10,611
Daraja unfortunately makes a bit of a racket on her way up.

OOC: Got an 11 over my DEX of 10
 

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
3,846
Reaction score
7,581
Daraja unfortunately makes a bit of a racket on her way up.

OOC: Got an 11 over my DEX of 10
Oh dear.

A couple of the Shanka on the edge of the warband look over the direction of the ridge. One of them grunts something to the other and the other points in the direction of the ridge. They begin to saunter over to toward the ridge, but not directly to where you guys are climbing. If they don't turn they'll end up maybe 20 feet to the right of where you're climbing, which would put them about 40 feet from the rock where Yu and Teemo are hiding.

There are lots of boulders and cracks to hide behind on in on the cliff, but you have the additional problem of the 9 horses and however many people still sitting in plain sight at the bottom of the ridge.

What do you do?
 

Tulpa Girl

"Hello, motherf*ckers!"
Joined
Nov 14, 2018
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
10,759
Wincing a bit at the noise, but not knowing whether or not the Shanka heard it or not, Sathia sees no real option but to continue her climb, hoping that Teemo, Yu, and Avril can buy enough time for her and Daraja to complete their ascent.
 

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
3,846
Reaction score
7,581
This might be a good spot for Avril, who's at the top of the cliff, to do a little knowledge transfer about possible incoming Shanka, hint hint, nudge nudge. Bunch Bunch
 

Banzai550

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2020
Messages
106
Reaction score
190
Yu picks up a rock and tosses it in the other direction, over by the smaller Shanka's body.
 

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
3,846
Reaction score
7,581
Yu picks up a rock and tosses it in the other direction, over by the smaller Shanka's body.
The approaching Shanka turn at the noise, and one of them scratches his head. He walks off in the direction of the smaller body while other one continues on toward the ridge.
 

Banzai550

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2020
Messages
106
Reaction score
190
Yu thinks, "Of course he does..."

Only one thing left to do...Yu picks up another rock, throws it at the stubborn Shanka while running at him screaming "Climb faster!"

Attack with rock: 1d20 16

Well at least it's a good distraction...
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
5,538
Reaction score
10,611
Daraja will try to quickly shimmy herself into some crack in the cliff.
 

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
3,846
Reaction score
7,581
Roll shimmy and tell me how it goes. Wait... Or maybe make a DEX or WIS check, your choice.
 

hawkeyefan

Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 1, 2020
Messages
595
Reaction score
1,096
Well shit....if it’s going down, Teemo will pop up and start shooting once everyone’s had a chance to go.
 

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
3,846
Reaction score
7,581
Well shit....if it’s going down, Teemo will pop up and start shooting once everyone’s had a chance to go.
Nothing is currently happening. Other than some casual hiding and cowering. Maybe hold back...
 

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
3,846
Reaction score
7,581
Shit, my piss-poor refresh has made me look silly again. Yes, apparently its kicking off. So, initiative from everyone, and a prayer to the gods that taking on 30 odd Shanka isn't a quick TPK. Roll 'em and get stuck in...
 

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
3,846
Reaction score
7,581
Keep in mind that Shanka are far more dangerous in large groups than they are individually. Just an editorial note.
 

Tulpa Girl

"Hello, motherf*ckers!"
Joined
Nov 14, 2018
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
10,759
Realizing that the shit is accumulating quickly, Sathia abandons any thought of climbing quietly, instead putting all of her effort into finishing the rest of the ascent as quickly as possible.

Perhaps the Mother is looking out for her, wayward as she may be, for the young mage manages to make it to the top of the cliff... trading a potentially lethal fall for an uncertain encounter against superior numbers.

Climbing roll = 2

OOC: don't know if you need an Initiative roll, since finishing her climb is probably her full action for this round.
 

Bunch

E-Rocker is a goose.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
9,146
Reaction score
14,833
Avril wonders about the sanity of his companions. He quickly estimates how hard it will be to climb back down before climbing over the edge and drawing swords.
 

hawkeyefan

Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 1, 2020
Messages
595
Reaction score
1,096
Initiative against a fuck ton of shanka: 1d20 3

Teemo nocks an arrow and gets ready to fire. He offers up a silent prayer to whatever gods are listening that maybe a few shots will do enough damage to break the shankas’ spirit, or at the very least slow them long enough for the others to get away.

He figures he’ll shoot as long as he can, then make a mad slide down the ridge to his horse, and then ride off into the sunset. He and the others will go back to Americk’s and drink his ale and laugh about how close they all came to dying.

He smiles as he raises his bow. It was a pleasant little story.
 

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
3,846
Reaction score
7,581
Just to keep things rolling here, Gor and the Men at Arms start up the cliff at ... someone's ... behest, they'll be here next round. Anyone on the cliff can roll initiative for this round, no harm no foul. Yu's going to need some support I think.

The Shanka look pretty shocked at this point. There's some pointing and hooting until the leader gets his drill sergeant on and starts bellowing, at which point the warband spreads out to face your position and two squads of Shanka, 5 each, start approaching at a trot. They'll be here next turn.
 

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
3,846
Reaction score
7,581
OK, so Sathia, Bunch and Teemo get to go before the Shanka, and everyone else goes after.

Tactical detail: There are enough rocks and the like to maybe secure your flanks (for a while anyway) against the Shanka if you stay by the top of the ridge. If you move out into the clearing you're going to get surrounded.
 

Bunch

E-Rocker is a goose.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
9,146
Reaction score
14,833
Avral looks at his companions and the impending onslaught of Shanka. "Back down?" He asks the others while preparing to kill any Shanka who gets close
 

Tulpa Girl

"Hello, motherf*ckers!"
Joined
Nov 14, 2018
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
10,759
OOC: are the Shanka in 'nearby' range, or will they be by the end of this turn?
 

Tulpa Girl

"Hello, motherf*ckers!"
Joined
Nov 14, 2018
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
10,759
Whether her friends decide to flee or fight, Sathia begins chanting, summoning forth the energies of the Incantation Of Perilous Avoidance on herself, which will hopefully prove of aid if they do battle the Shanka, and if they flee perhaps it might mitigate some of the damage incurred by a hasty retreat down the side of the cliff.

OOC: casting Shield spell. Rolled a natural 8 (total 9) to remember the spell
 

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
3,846
Reaction score
7,581
United Cobblefell Telegraphy (666)555-Oops Not to be Delivered to Recipients Address

Urgent stop Shanka are attacking stop Adventurers in dire straights stop stuck between a rock and a high place stop please advise about actions soonest stop Actions maybe declared and held for later if your initiative sucked stop Your GM

Bunch Bunch hawkeyefan hawkeyefan Banzai550 Banzai550 Brock Savage Brock Savage Séadna Séadna Tulpa Girl Tulpa Girl
 

Banzai550

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2020
Messages
106
Reaction score
190
To avoid a running battle, Yu will keep the Shanka busy for a few rounds then make a daring "flips and shit with those fucking slippers" escape.
 

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
3,846
Reaction score
7,581
I'm at work at the mo, but I'll get on the Shanka halftime show this afternoon, after which Avril can continue running away. :grin:
 
Cthulhu Mythos - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Top