Cobblefell IC

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I guess Gor is the face man then. Good times.

Do we have a basic idea of the layout and set up of the camp? Or is that something we can do now?

I don’t think it’d be a good idea to look like we’re spying on them, but maybe just check it out in the most general way.

Maybe we can observe from a safe distance and see if Tamora leaves the camp? Maybe along the route to town?

I don’t know if we should hail the camp unless Sathia’s cool with that.

But if we do decide to actually visit the camp, Teemo would go. He was a soldier long enough to hopefully connect with the group.

OOC: Yeah, I'd rather not hail the camp if at all possible. If the Loremasters and the Brotherhood are in fact antagonistic toward each other, that just increases the desire to wait until Tamora is somewhat momentarily distanced from the rest of Kaeyla's retinue, just to avoid the possibility of blowing her cover.

Yu places his 3 coins into his alms bowl and goes looking for anyone who will add to it. If he finds a farmer he will ask for offerings to The Farmer, rangers The Huntress etc. until the time Americk is expected.

OOC: So should some if us go to the Brotherhood camp to speak to Sasha with Gor? And see if there’s any chance to set up a more discreet meeting between Sathia and Tamora?

What do you guys think? Sounds like we may have a lead on some temporary work once Americk shows up, but until then, should we meet with the Brotherhood at their camp?

Yu earns a mighty d4 coin for his morning work, which is actually not bad.

As far as the camp goes, I think the people who went first need to decide what they're actually doing before we pile any more cooks into that particular kitchen.

As far as the camp goes, I think the people who went first need to decide what they're actually doing before we pile any more cooks into that particular kitchen.
It wont make for exciting RP. It will go something like "Tell Sasha Gor is here"

Well, you get the tearful reunion, plus you get to do some spyin', and maybe Sathia gets to share some meaningful glances. Meeting the Brotherhood might give a better handle on their motivations too, maybe.

Well, you get the tearful reunion, plus you get to do some spyin', and maybe Sathia gets to share some meaningful glances. Meeting the Brotherhood might give a better handle on their motivations too, maybe.
Sweet! I was making it known up front that Got isn't a face by any stretch. He is blunt and to the point. He isn't going to lie or charm his way into anything. The party would know this.

Teemo's by no means a face, but he's not terrible in that department. He can step up if needed. He's dumb as could be, but he's observant and kind of crafty. Plus, he was a soldier, so he can likely connect with the Brotherhood in that way. They seem almost like a mercenary company.

The nature of BH mitigates for there not being any die rolling unless there are stakes. So unless youre trying to sell a lie or whatnot it'll be straight roleplaying. Low CHA isnt a huge issue.

Last edited:
The nature of BH mitigates for there not being any die rolling unless there are stakes. So unless youre trying to sell a lie or whatnot it'll be straight roleplaying. Low CHA isnt a huge issue.

Understood. So what about spying? Trying to get a sense for their numbers, strength? Any special defenses or anything? Would that be a roll?

I'll give you some info just for looking, and probably ask for a roll on top, and would hand out additional detail based on the results. What I won't do it gate all the info behind a successful roll.

Okay, since we’re there, may as well ask to meet with Sister Kaeyla. If anyone else prefers to take the lead on that, that’d be cool. Otherwise Teemo will do it, ostensibly about making sure we know what they’re up to in the area so that once we have our writ, we don’t encroach on any claims of theirs. What I’d really like to do is get a sense of the place, their numbers, defenses, etc and also to meet Kaeyla and see if she’s the fanatic Teemo thinks she may be.

I’d keep an eye out for Tamora, and if possible and if Tulpa Girl Tulpa Girl wanted, mention Sathia to her, if there was an opportunity to do so subtly.

OOC: Sathia would probably pass on entering the camp directly, although she won't object to the others doing so if they wish. Even though they have a wizard as part of their retinue, given how much of a fanatic Kaela appears to be, a wizard not of their faith with a luminescent crab as her master familiar might prompt an unneeded negative response from the cleric that may adversely affect the others if she is with them. She would suggest to the others that if they do encounter Tamora, not to say anything as direct as 'Sathia would like to meet you' but rather something like 'we'll meet back up with Sathia after she finishes up at the Grinning Pig' in a manner not directed at Tamora but said within her earshot.

For her own part, before going over to the inn when they open, Sathia will go over to the Temple Of The Five for a bit, both to say some prayers to The Farmer, but also to speak to anyone there and see what their take on Kaela's group, as well as any other church/local gossip that might be of interest.

(also, FYI, won't be online for most of the rest of the day, and maybe not much tomorrow)

Alrighty then. Everyone but Sathia approaches the Brotherhood camp at a leisurely pace. The camp is in a nicely defensible position on a rise, and consists of a smallish cabin, and two neat rows of tents, forming three sides of a square, with a picket of ponies completing the shape. IN the center of the square is a large campfire, currently a low ebb, with a handful of mercenaries lounging around it. You can smell cooking meat on the air. On the veranda of the cabin, two figures are slouch in chairs, one female, dressed in half-plate but with her head bare, revealing a shaven pate, and a handsome male dressed in somewhat shabby finery. Both are watching your party keenly. Two sentries are posted outside the camp, and the one closest to you approach hails you when you get within about 50 yards.

"Keep your weapons sheathed and state your business," he calls, without any note of concern. He is a standard mercenary looking fellow in mixed but well kept armour, armed with a spear and a crossbow. He begins to approach the party slowly, but hasn't drawn a weapon. Your impression is that this is a competent and professional camp, there is nothing sloppy about the personnel or the layout.

Teemo wants to he very clear he’s no threat. He’s got his bow slung over his shoulder, and raises both hands up.

“Hoping to meet with Sister Kaeyla, if at all possible,” he says. “We represent another company and we’ll soon be operating in the area, and we just want to make proper introductions. Is she about?”

The mercenary looks back and forth at the two of you, somewhat nonplussed. After a moment, he says "Huh, follow me, and keep you weapons sheathed." He motions you to follow and leads you into the camp proper.

All the mercanries around the campfire warch you as you cross the square and you can tell they are relaxed, but ready and watchful. Professional. Sister Kaela watches your group as you cross the square, althouth her companion seems to be too engrossed in telling her something to be paying attention. When you reach the cabin she silences her comanion with a gesture.

"Guests," she says "how marvelous." She doesn't straighten in her chair but continues to lounge. "Pray tell, what could bring such an interesting group to our humble camp on this fine day?"

The conspicuous absence of gambling, drinking or whoring in a mercenary camp combined with the languid ease of Kaelya provokes a wolfish wariness in Gor. Unable to determine the source of his uneasiness, Gor stands to the left and slightly behind his companion while introductions are made and social niceties exchanged.

You'd may be be right to be wary. This isn't quite like any other mercenary camp youve been in. Usually, mercanaries are who they are and they do what they do. This is ... different some how.

The mood of the camp doesn’t escape Teemo’s notice, either. But he ignores it and puts on a smile.

“My name’s Teemo Nines, and this slab of a fellow is Gor. We’re members of another company here in Cobblefell. A much smaller operation than yours,” he says. “And less disciplined, I’d say. You set an impressive camp, Sister Kaela.”

He’s hoping that a light touch of flattery will help.

“We wanted to speak to you about our proposed activities in the area. It seems there is plenty of opportunity for all, but we want to make sure we know the areas you’ll be operating so that we can focus our efforts elsewhere.”

She looks at you long and hard before she replies. "Such consideration," she takes a sip from her goblet " who would have thought to find such consideration this far from civilization." She cocks her head back and calls into to the cabin. "Cullic, come out and meet pur new friends."

A moment passes with no relpy from inside, and the the door opens. The biggest man any of you have ever seen sticks his head under the lintel and steps out into the porch. Gor is a big man, and Cullic makes him look tiny. Cullic must be fully 8 feet tall, and big for that height. A mountain of flesh and muscle. He says nothing, but moves to stand behind Sister Keala. Ths has the feel of organized theatre to some of you.

Cullic is covered by tattoos on his right sode in dizzyjng detail, but his left is unmarked.

Daraja will just be keeping an eye out for Tamora as Teemo is, but upon seeing Cullic will momentarily have her mouth agog having never seen somebody of that size.

Teemo can't really hide his reaction to the sight of Cullic, so he kind of leans into it. "By The Five, that's a big one you've got there! Tall as the sky, and nearly as wide! A pleasure, Cullic." He turns back to Kaela. "So our adventuring writ is expected any day, and I think we're a bit split exploring the Wildwood or the High Fells. I'm personally leaning toward the Fells, myself, but we heard tale of a wurm being seen in the sky in that area, which has understandably spooked some of my comrades. Any truth to that? Any suggestions for us?"

He's trying to maintain a friendly demeanor, and to be a bit accommodating. Ultimately, he's just trying to get whatever info he can from them.

Sister Kaela smiles thinly. "He is quite big. I find that sometimes intimidation is a more useful tool than violence," she says. "As for the camp, discipline is the glue that wards off corruption and sloth."

"If you plan to head to the Fells you won't be in conflict with our goals here, as our business is in the Wildwood and to the south. Of course, there is more of the Wildwood than any one company could explore in a lifetime,: she says, and pauses for a moment. "All the same," she continues, "Perhaps it would be best if, should you venture into the Wildwood, that your business take you north rather than south. That way there is no risk of ... misunderstandings." She looks over at Cullic and then back at you. "As for your Wurm, I have also heard that tale but I find it less than credible. No adult Wurm has been seen within the Empire in generations."

"I have a warning for you, should you venture into the Wildwood," she says. "It is a place of corruption that will eat into your soul. Men lose themselves in the wild and give themselves over to wickedness and murder." She has an intense gleam in here as she says this and her voice rises. "There is no place in the creator's light for creatures of the dark and they will all burn in his eternal flame."

She is interrupted by the sound of female voice shouting "Gor!". Sasha trots over and gives Gor a hearty slap on the shoulder. "How have you been you great lummox?" Sister Kaela looks displeased to have been interrupted, but leaves off her tirade.

Teemo has no love for fanatics; in his time with the army, it seemed that fanatics only served to get good folk killed. Teemo's eyes can't help but land on the crescent symbol at Daraja's neck. He doesn't know if his companion's beliefs woudl align with Kaela's, but he doesn't expect that they would. Or that anyone's would, for that matter, so he quickly looks back to Kaela, smiles again and gestures to Sasha and Gor.

"Look at that," he says. "You mention the light, and a friendly reunion occurs! I'm a simple man, but surely this is a good omen for the future of our respective companies!" He gives a nod to her. "Duly noted about the Wildwood. Should our ranging take us there, we will stay north. Avoiding misunderstandings is precisely the reason we visited you today. I thank you for your time, and in the unlikely event that your company is ever in need, please do not hesitate to call on us." He gives her a kind of informal salute that's used by the Queen's Army.

Has he noticed any members of the company that fit Tamora's description?

Against his better judgement Gor lifts Sasha up by the waist and twirls her around a couple times, exclaiming, "Sasha you ol' hellcat, you're alive!" Once she's back on her feet Gor continues in good cheer, "I bet they're keeping your nose to the grindstone here! Meet me in the tavern when you're off duty and we'll catch up. If I'm not there leave a message with the barkeep, here's a coin for his trouble." He presses a coin into her palm.

OOC -1 coin, I am assuming the taverns acts as an informal message board and meeting place, let me know if I am mistaken

"Fair enough," says Sister Kaela, with no hint of returning the salute. "The eternal light be with you." With that, she goes back to her conversation with her companion. You do see a woman sitting outside a tent across the square that matches Tamora's description, but she doesn't seem to have paid the group any attention. She is busy writing in a large leather bound book, occasionally shaking her head and muttering to herself. She is dressed in fairly non-descript robes, and she is not obviously armed or armoured.

@Gor - You and Sasha have a long working relationship, you know she knows what you're getting at. "I can probably come by for a trip down memory lane this evening, say a hour after sundown?" she replies. "I prefer the Grinning Pig, the miners at the Deeps are assholes. You can introduce me to your new friends" She gives your arm a squeeze, and goes back to her tent.

Sathia, unaware of what is transpiring in the camp - and now somewhat ashamed of herself for not joining her compatriots - kills a little time wandering through the village. Unless there is something that she sees that she thinks may prove of use in their forthcoming endeavors that happens to be affordably priced, she does not spend any of her few remaining coin there.

She eventually makes her way to the Temple of the Five. "Stay out here," she says to Y'kunitoth. "Don't engage with anyone unless you have to. I don't need you getting us in trouble again." After a pause, she then adds, "Keep an eye out and let me know if anyone else is about to enter."

Once inside the temple, assuming nothing unusual is occurring at the moment, she will spend some time in prayer to the Farmer, as well as in general contemplation. As the noon hour draws near, she will donate a silver coin to the temple's coffers.

Eventually, after reuniting with Y'kunitoth, she will make her way to the Grinning Pig, where she will get a drink and a bite to eat. This will no doubt deplete her remaining coin significantly, so she will take her time savoring her lunch meal, hoping that Tamora will appear, even as she keeps her ears open to any news and gossip.

hawkeyefan hawkeyefan
"Fair enough," says Sister Kaela, with no hint of returning the salute. "The eternal light be with you." With that, she goes back to her conversation with her companion. You do see a woman sitting outside a tent across the square that matches Tamora's description, but she doesn't seem to have paid the group any attention. She is busy writing in a large leather bound book, occasionally shaking her head and muttering to herself. She is dressed in fairly non-descript robes, and she is not obviously armed or armoured.
The temptation to learn about the book rises in Daraja. The magic of other lands seemed more scholarly and less personal than what she was used to. Apparently they achieved their magic without an intermediary. However best to wait and not mess up Sathia's plans.

Daraja speaks to Teemo.

"I think that's Sathia's friend, let's head past her and mention Sathia like she requested. No direct eye contact though, has to look like a private conversation she just happened to hear"

The scuttlebutt in the Grinning Pig is all about the brewing discontent between various factions in the town over monies and bodies for defense. The Stedholds seem to feel like they pay more than they should and still have to man their own walls, while the other farmers feel like they shouldn't have to pay to subsidize the defense of the Stedholds. Both sides seem to be angry at Balgus Mining, as everyone seems to think they are paying far less than they should. Tominghts council meeting seems like it could be a firecracker
Tulpa Girl Tulpa Girl

OOC: is there any way I can get a quiver of javelins with my remaining coin? Also can I take the 1H weapon + shield option instead of 2h? No worries if I can't take back the decision made at character creation.

hawkeyefan hawkeyefan

The temptation to learn about the book rises in Daraja. The magic of other lands seemed more scholarly and less personal than what she was used to. Apparently they achieved their magic without an intermediary. However best to wait and not mess up Sathia's plans.

Daraja speaks to Teemo.

"I think that's Sathia's friend, let's head past her and mention Sathia like she requested. No direct eye contact though, has to look like a private conversation she just happened to hear"

Teemo nods in agreement. On their way out of the Brotherhood's camp, he and Daraja make sure to pass by Tamora, and mention meeting Sathia at the Grinning Pig this evening.

OOC: is there any way I can get a quiver of javelins with my remaining coin? Also can I take the 1H weapon + shield option instead of 2h? No worries if I can't take back the decision made at character creation.
No problem, just take the Javelins and let me know what the changes are.

Teemo nods in agreement. On their way out of the Brotherhood's camp, he and Daraja make sure to pass by Tamora, and mention meeting Sathia at the Grinning Pig this evening.
The woman glances up at you without expression, and then goes back to her work. At a quick glance the book seems to be some combination of arcane and philosophical, although it's tough to tell without a closer look exactly how 'arcane' it is.

No problem, just take the Javelins and let me know what the changes are.
OOC: Swapping starting equipment of two handed sword and helmet for one handed axe and shield. I am going from 16 coins to zero and adding a quiver of javelins.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back