Cobblefell OOC Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Sorry, I'm confused about levelling up and increasing attributes.

For the Thief, it says: "Roll a d20 once for each Attribute - if you roll over, it goes up one point, make an extra roll for either Dexterity or Wisdom."

Does this mean that to increase Dexterity and Wisdom, I have to roll TWICE, and roll over those attributes TWICE to get a +1 for them?

No
Sorry, I'm confused about levelling up and increasing attributes.

For the Thief, it says: "Roll a d20 once for each Attribute - if you roll over, it goes up one point, make an extra roll for either Dexterity or Wisdom."

Does this mean that to increase Dexterity and Wisdom, I have to roll TWICE, and roll over those attributes TWICE to get a +1 for them?
It means roll twice hoping to succeed at least once. It helps your prime stats to increase more regularly.

Sister Stevia

STR 14
DEX 8
CON 10
INT 8
WIS 15
CHR 10

Class: Cleric
Level: 2nd
HP: 12

Tags/Skills
Masonry +1
Carpentry +1
Recruitment +1

Equipment:

Studded hide breastplate (AV2),
Flail
Shield (+1 Armour Die)
2 coins and a purse
Forbidden holy scriptures
Prayer Book
Candles(Ud4)
Flint & Steel
Rations(Ud8)

Prayers:
Cure Light Wounds
Light
Protection from Evil

Hold Person
Purify Food and Drink

Background

Stevia was an orphan from a plague sent to a convent. As she grew, she happened to be the strongest nun so wound up doing most of the repair work while others meditated and prayed. She didn’t mind as she enjoyed hard work and found esoteric philosophy to mostly be ways to justify what you wanted to do in the first place and it was rarely of help to those who most needed help.

Stevia’s life changed one day while fixing a leaky roof. Hidden in the rafters was the Little Blue Manifesto of Fair Prices. The tract set out what the obvious and fair trade values of labors and goods. It also lambasted nobles and upper clergy for getting fat without contributing to labor. To Stevia, this book made perfect sense and had an immediate impact on her behavior in the nunnery. She suddenly started getting involved in debates and usually disagreed with the abbess.

Things got dicey for Stevia for a while. She was censured and eventually evicted from the convent for trying too hard to help the poor and constantly breaking the vow of obedience. In reaction, she successfully started a peasant revolt. This was quickly crushed with the deaths of dozens of peasants and Stevia being declared an outlaw and heretic.

Stevia has realized that she needs to be more careful and has retreated to the periphery of the world she had no prior reputation and her church has negligible presence. She tries to help laborers, peasants, and whoever has need; hoping to slowly recruit a following to further her ideals. She wound up in Cobblefell and is thinking about staying as the place looks ripe for change.

Stevia.jpg

Ok, we have replacement characters, marvelous. This weekend I'll get us spun back up. I'll write up a this is what happened and where we are precis, and we'll proceed from where we left off, which is (I believe) camped on the High Fells deciding where to go and what to do. As far as new characters, I don't think we need a story, we'll just use the swap them in like nothing happened.

We can also try out Trophy Gold at some point if there's interest. At this point I think I'm against changing rules sets for the campaign we're doing though, It seems like needless work the more I think about it.

Oops I missed the note about tags/skills. I would like something along the lines of:

Hiding (something to represent hiding in shadows/cover, not so much about moving)
Quick Trickery (something to cover on-the-spot manipulation/distraction)
Rock climber (something to cover climbing / bouldering rocky surfaces)

EDIT: These will be my tags

Hide in shadows (the under world was rarely silent, so it was more about hiding well in nooks, crannies and cover)
Bait and switch (quick trickery, on the spot manipulation)
Rock climber (climbing rocky surfaces, cliffs, cave walls etc... not so much trees)

Last edited:
OK, as promised, a summary of what the group has done so far, and what remains to be accomplished in the short term.

The party arrived in Cobblefell about a week ago, having signed an Adventuring Writ with the Crown to allow them to explore the area in search of treasure and artifacts of a bygone age. The Writ had not yet arrived in Cobblefell on your arrival, so the party elected to explore the town and perhaps look for work while they waiting for the wheels of the bureaucracy to grind them out a Writ. A friendly farmer, Aldo Grinnel, offer to let the party stay in his barn-workshop while they were Cobblefell, and he has turned out to be a good fellow and quite influential in town.

Aldo introduced the party to a friend of his, an army veteran named Americk Steldragon, who is the leader of a Stedhold about 8 miles north of Cobblefell. Americk asked for the party's assistance in investigating the disappearance and murder of several of his people. The party agreed and their initial foray into the west country revealed the presence of Shanka and that they were responsible for the deaths. The Shanka are a mountain people, bestial in appearance and warlike who have been gone from the lowlands for several hundred years after getting nigh on wiped out in an almost-successful invasion of the Empire. The concern at this point was to determine the number of Shanks in the area - is this an invasion, a scouting party? Americk asked the party to mount an expedition to the High Fells to scout around and find out while he mustered the Stedhold's defenses and warned the rest of the valley.

The part set west, and encountered the Shanka at Serpent Ridge, which marks the boundary between the Grey Downs and the High Fells west of Cobblefell. They have discovered that there seem to be two rival groups of Shanka in the Fells. One of those groups is marked by the amulets they all wear, a red stone on a bronze chain, which their enemies seem to glory in taking as trophies and smashing. Having retreated from a concentration of Shanka, the party went South and found another path up the ridge, and has made the ascent without issue. You are now camped in a clearing at the top of the ridge and deciding what to do.

There are two leads you have that could be followed up. One, there is a monastery in Fells, and should it still stand, the monks there may have information about the what the hell is actually going on. Additionally, the map provided by Americk also notes a couple of other sites, probably ruins, in this part of the Fells, which might be in use as Shanka encampments. Beyond that, you could also just stike out North, back toward the Shanka you encountered and see what you find. Consult the map in post 62 to get a better idea of the geography.

For the new folk, feel free to give the various lore dumps a read when you have a moment. They aren't super extensive but will give you a better feel for the setting and what's going on.

Questions? Concerns? Post 'em now and when we get them sorted we'll go live.

For the new folk (and the vets I guess) here's the write up on the Shanka from my campaign bestiary:

The Shanka are a plague on the North, spawning in caverns and forgotten places and then boiling forth like ants from a kicked nest. They are human sized, with long arms that end in twisted claws. They smell foetid and feral. They have grey faces with flat snouts and forehead, and oversized teeth. They can speak, after a fashion, in mutters and gibbers, and are capable of making simple weapons and tools. The Shanka used to be human, but have been changed in the vats of the God-Alchemists, and are bred for aggression and obedience.

OK, here's some local Cobblefell flavour and info, which for some reason I didn't post when the campaign started. (Edit: NVM, I incorporated into the campaign document, anyway....)

Cobblefell and Environs

Cobblefell lies in the northwestern armpit of the Empire, hundreds of miles away from anything that matters, in the remote province of Harith. The closest city is the provincial capital of Durnang, several weeks away to the south and west. Despite its remoteness, Cobblefell is a prosperous town. The reopening of the cobble pits has brought an influx of people and coin to the town, and increased communication with the capital. Cobblefell’s economy otherwise rests on two key products, wool and tobacco. The wool of Harith is famed throughout the Empire for its water repellent qualities (a product of an herb that makes up a key part of the sheeps’ diet), and the ease with which it dyes. The smoking of pipes is a bit of mania with the elite of the Empire, and the tobacco of Harith is among the best. Beyond that there are some skilled tobacconists in Cobblefell who combine that fine tobacco with a variety of rare herbs to produce some immensely sought after blends. The remoteness of Cobblefell also makes it a destination for Adventurers of all sorts. Not as many as you might think, since glory is in short supply this far from civilization, but there are a greater concentration of reported unexplored ruins near to Cobblefell than anywhere else in the empire.

To the west of Cobblefell a traveler first climbs the Grey Downs, a pleasant area of rolling hills and scrub that is home to most of the sheep herds of the area, as well as the Weavers Guild compound. Also on the close edge of the Downs is Slate Manor, ancestral home of the Cobblefell’s ruling family, but abandoned these many years when the family failed. The manor has recently been reoccupied by a Southerner, who is slowly renovating and expanding it. Beyond the downs come the High Fells, a much less hospitable place, on the edge of which lies the newly-reopened Cobble Works. Treeless, craggy, waterlogged, and wreathed in mist, the Fells have claimed many a traveler. Strange dolmens dot the hilltops of the Fells, and legends tell of strange misshapen beasts gathering there and cavorting around bonfires and worshipping dark gods.

The party has two options in terms of travel on the Fells. The geography of the Fells is primarily that of high rocky ridges running east-west, which can be a lot of work to traverse. Travel is somewhat easier closer to serpent Ridge in the east, and at the base of the mountains to the west where there is less vertical travel involved. However, there are enemies about, and they likely understand this same geography as well as you do, so there is probably a greater chance of running into Shanka when you take the easy route. On the upside there is less chance of climbing mishaps related sorts of travel difficulties.

What do you do?

What do you guys think? I’m all for danger, but I also have no problem taking the longer way.

Sathia would prefer to take the longer but less arduous path, although it appears that she may be overriden by the others in this preference.

Traversing the ridges is time consuming but not inordinately dangerous. I'll need one WIS roll from whomever is breaking trail and that should suffice for the group. What kinds of stealth related precautions are you guys taking? You have horses so we aren't talking about ninja time here.

Soooo ... hey. We doing this thing? :grin: Stealth precautions details and a WIS roll from someone to break trail.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back