Cobblefell OOC Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Reaction score
I'll eventually full this up with links and documents.

In the Beginning...
You arrived in Cobblefell about a week ago, provisioned and ready to head out into the wilds in search of glory. However, the Adventuring Writ you were expecting to be waiting for you has not yet arrived. You have been doing the occasional odd job and getting to know the town, but your funds are running perilously low, and your retainers restless. You have been in regular contact with the Chancery Clerk, Dorrin Quinn, who has been friendly but has no information about the status of your writ. You haven’t yet met the Magistrate in charge of the Chancery Office in Cobblefell.

You are quartered just outside the walls, renting a barn from a retired tobacco farmer named Aldo Grinnel. Aldo’s son now handles the farming part of their business, but Aldo still does a roaring trade in boutique pipeweed blends. He stores his wares in the barn after they are packed and the whole building is redolent with a spicy tobacco smell. There is a loft with beds, a small kitchen area, and several empty stalls that could house horses.

Aldo is a hale and hearty octogenarian, still upright and spry for his age. He has a wild shock of white hair, which he has a habit of running his hand through while he talks. He is a merry fellow, with a twinkle in his eye and always quick with a jest. He isn’t charging you but a fraction of what you think the barn would normally rent for, but he seems to enjoy the company. He has a workshop next to the barn, where he often sleeps, and also maintains a fine house within the village walls. He can most often be found puttering in his workshop or sitting on his veranda and enjoying a nice pipe.

Your normal routine is to check the notice board outside the Town Hall, and check in at the Chancery Office to see if your Writ has arrived yet.

Party Summary XLS

Brock Savage Brock Savage Bunch Bunch Séadna Séadna Tulpa Girl Tulpa Girl hawkeyefan hawkeyefan Banzai550 Banzai550 - Please post your complete character below, including background and whatnot

The thread is for lore, OOC chat and strategy, as well as recaps, and this is also where we'll post our stories when character level up.

Attachments

• Black Hack Player Rules.pdf
    66.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Black Hack Rules Reference.pdf
    44.1 KB · Views: 5
  • COBBLEFELL Camp Doc.pdf
    95.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Retainers

Retainer
Retainer
Retainer

Contacts

Gor: Sasha Nobody Faction: The Brotherhood of the Flame
Background: When Gor met Sasha Nobody, she was a tavern dancing girl, thief, and prostitute. The two of them hit it off immediately and, under Sasha's guidance, started a crime wave of robbery and assault. It mattered little to Gor who they robbed or fought, he was content to serve as the muscle in her schemes. The salad days ended when Sasha managed to anger Lady Amphisbia, an influential Guild Courtesan* and disappeared shortly thereafter. Needless to say, Gor is surprised to see Sasha alive and well in the company of Sister Kaeyla and The Brotherhood of the Flame.
Appearance: Gamine and petite with straight black hair cropped into a savagely short pixie cut.

*The working title for a semi-legal network of spies, assassins, thieves, and mercenaries

Teemo: Fenn Weland Faction: The Queen's Rangers
Background: Early on in his career in the Queen's Army, it became obvious that Teemo had strong natural abiility with a bow, and a good sense of navigation and surviving in the wilderness. As a result, he was considered for the Queen's Rangers. During training, he befriended another potential recruit, Fenn Weland. The two got along well, but ultimately Fenn was selected over Teemo, largely due to the connections of his family. Now in hiding, Teemo has seen that Fenn has been assigned to the Ranger Station in Cobblefell. Teemo has avoided contact with Fenn because he's unsure if Fenn would know that he deserted, and if so, if their one -time friendship would be reason enough for him to overlook his duty.
Appearance: Fenn is a good looking young man from a well to do merchant family; he has dark hair and a pale complexion. Despite his obvious skill, his high quality personal effects almost make him seem like a rich kid out for a holiday in the woods rather than a devoted member of the Queen's Rangers. His post in Cobblefell is likely just a first step in what his family hopes to be a meaningful military career.

Yu: Americk Steldragon Faction: Steadholdters

Background: Americk is the head of the least prosperous farming families but holds sway due to his Grandfather's acquisition of a seat on the council over 40 years ago. Since his family took the seat they have been beset by accidents and misfortune. The most recent example being his youngest son Polian mysteriously falling into the Jardine river. Just prior to entering the Rapids, he was saved by Yu. Although breathing, Polian has yet to regain consciousness. Americk has tried to compensate Yu on more than one occasion only to be turned down. "If wealth cannot level this debt then I will have to repay your kindness with my own.", vowed Americk.

Appearance: Americk is tall, 6'3", but only weighs in at 178lbs. He has a wiry frame from a lifetime of corn and squash farming.

Sathia: Tamora Calderon Faction: The Brotherhood of the Flame

Background: Tamora was Sathia's best friend when she was an apprentice at the Lyceum of Loremasters, in the dark and twisted city of Ultha-Khun. Unlike most of the other orphans adopted to be apprenticed there, they were both old enough to remember their original families - Sathia's had been farmers, while Tamora's father was a coppersmith.

Assassination was an accepted and regular way of life in Ultha-Khun, and the techniques for 'advancement' among the Loremasters is said to be especially varied and cunning. When Sathia was twelve her master was slain by a rival, via the placement of a rare and dreaded ten-legged spider. Had Sathia returned to her quarters that night after finishing her duties, she no doubt would have suffered a similar fate, to remove any possibility of an apprentice seeking revenge for her fallen master. But by seeming chance Tamora had overheard the assassin speaking to another of his deed; she intercepted Sathia and gave her her cloak, dagger, and what coin she had on her person, and bade her flee into the night, far away from the city.

Many years later, Sathia is more than a little shocked to see Tamora in Cobblefell, as part of Kaeyla's entourage. She is not yet certain if Tamora recognizes her - Sathia was a bit of a late bloomer in terms of growth, and only somewhat resembles the young slip of a girl from a previous lifetime - but there is no doubt in the mage's mind that it's truly Tamora. She does not yet know what function Tamora serves for Kaeyla (scholar? wizard? acolyte? assassin?), nor does she know how much Kaeyla knows of Tamora's background. Most uncertain of all, would Tamora remember her old friend kindly, or does whatever purpose she now serve obliterate any allegiances of the past?

Appearance: Of average height and build, in decent shape but not overtly so, Somewhat attractive, in a fleeting and non-memorable sort of way. Light brown hair, average complexion (appearance subject to change if you have a particular image you want to use).

Daraja: Sirgurd Balgus Faction: Balgus Mining and Excavation
Background: Younger brother of the mining group's owner, Darja first met Sirgurd after a small accident at the mine. A few workers having been injured she had the simple enough task given her powers of nursing them back to health. However her spirit was restless around the mine and doubly so around Sirgurd for reasons it refused to explain simply asking her to "keep an eye on him". Daraja hung around enough to suspect that a side vein of the mine hit on some older artificial structure. Whether this is source of the extra profits the mine keeps from the town council or not she hasn't yet been able to tell. The crates brought up are marked "To his Excellency" before being carted off by horse.
To keep tabs Daraja has kept up her on and off post as the mine's medic for now.
Appearance: A large man, muscular but not defined with coarse red skin from years in the mines. From his bright blue eyes and streaks of jet black in his greying hair you can tell he was a looker in his youth.

Avral: Argyle Brandish Faction: Stedholders

Background: Avral often handled messages between Argyle Brandish one of the Stedholders who runs a tobacco farm. Avral worked hard to get to know Argyle so he could impress upon his employer the specific features and work that went into his lords favorite smoke. Avral has learned much about Argyles business and the economic stresses he is under. He hopes to play on Argyles greed/desperation to ingrate himself and take advantage of his connections.

Bunch Bunch Séadna Séadna - I still need contacts for you guys, post 'em in the other thread and I'll edit them in here.

Last edited:
Sathia Freeberne

STR 9
DEX 9
CON 10
INT 15
WIS 11
CHR 12

Class: Wizard
Level: 2nd
HP: 8

Tags/Skills
Arcane Lore +1
Herbalism +1
Research +1

Equipment
Cloth robes (AV 1)
Staff
Spellbook
Short sword
Egg of a Void Creature
Purse w/ 12 coin & 3 goblin eyeballs

Spellbook
Charm
Magic Missile
Shield ("Incantation Of Perilous Avoidance")
Sleep ("Hexing Of Instantaneous Slumber")
Detect Magic

Familiar - Luminescent crab

Background - At nine years old, Sathia was older than many of the orphans that were taken in to be apprenticed at the Lyceum of Loremasters, in the dark and twisted city of Ultha-Khun. Her years before that were unremarkable - just another daughter of a farming family living in the nearby village of Foxton, before her parents and younger brother were slain by raiding goblinfolk. She quickly became friends with another girl of similar age named Tamora, who had also recently been taken in by the Lyceum.

Assassination was an accepted and regular way of life in Ultha-Khun, and the techniques for 'advancement' among the Loremasters is said to be especially varied and cunning. When Sathia was twelve her master was slain by a rival, via the placement of a rare and dreaded ten-legged spider. Had Sathia returned to her quarters that night after finishing her duties, she no doubt would have suffered a similar fate, to remove any possibility of an apprentice seeking revenge for her fallen master. But by seeming chance Tamora had overheard the assassin speaking to another of his deed; she intercepted Sathia and gave her her cloak, dagger, and what coin she had on her person, and bade her flee into the night, far away from the city.

Sathia eventually made her way to a small village of Ashlund, where she was taken in by a local witch named Yabaga, who taught Sathia the arcane path. Before eventually leaving the tutelage of the witch woman a few years later, she was bonded with a luminescent crab named Y'kunitoth. One is the familiar and one is the master, but it may not be obvious which is which...

She has recently fallen in with a small band of other ne'er-do-wells, who have made their way to Cobblefell, where they await the arrival of their adventuring writ. For herself, she seeks to acquire arcane knowledge, wealth, and a large collection of goblin eyeballs that she wishes to personally collect.

27b005ff6f9150be4ef7fcb34befb9bf.jpg

Last edited:
7bf194e3582fc50913b0ed5f533ef46f.jpg

Name: Daraja

STR 11
DEX 10
CON 8
WIS 13
INT 13
CHA 10

HP: 10

Class: Cleric

Equipment:
Crescent Holy Symbol worn about neck
Studded hide breastplate (AV2),
Flail
Shield (+1 Armour Die)
7 coins and a purse
Forbidden holy scriptures
Prayer Book

Prayers:
Cure Light Wounds
Light
Protection from Evil
Purify Food and Drink
Bless
Find Traps

Background:
Bound to one of her people's capricious gods at a young age, Daraja spent her youth serving the taciturn entity, repairing altars and occasionally dispatching priests of rival spirits. With her service now up, as per her people's customs, it's time for the spirit to help her. Unfortunately she was also kicked out of her town since those who served the spirits are condemned to be a living prison for them until death.

Most of the initial period after her banishment was spent getting a handle on dealing with her spirit and coming to somewhat friendly terms it. The entity is quiet most of the time now and often responds solely to give magical aid.

After wandering from city to city for a while she eventually heard rumours of massive wealth to be found in ruins near Cobblefell. Though doubtful herself the spirit said it remembered enough of the ancient days that there might be something to these rumours. So she has come to Cobblefell, knowing full well the dangers she has recently decided to pal up with others of strength and power.

1606849013812.png

Teemo Nines
Level 1 Warrior

Str 12
Dex 15
Con 12
Int 7
Wis 13
Cha 10

HP: 9

Attack Damage: 1d6

Equipment:
Thick Hide
Tin Hem
Bow
Arrows (Ud8)
War Paint
Book of Grudges
15 coin

Background:
Teemo was at one time a scout and archer in the Queen's Army. He was taken prisoner during battle, and his captors severed the middle finger of his right hand, showing their disdain for archers. Before they could do any worse, his freedom was bartered as part of a prisoner exchange, and he returned to the Queen's Army. Realizing that his freedom had been a lucky byproduct of securing the release of more noble hostages, he decided to abandon life as a soldier. Taking the alias Teemo Nines, he's come to the frontier of Cobblefell in hopes of finding work and avoiding arrest for desertion, while also teaching himself how to shoot left-handed.

Okay, so, since it may be relevant soon, maybe we should talk about who and what the Loremasters are. Yes, I have my own ideas about them, obviously, but since this is supposed to be a part of a collaborative world-building process, I wanted to see what directions Fenris-77 Fenris-77 and everyone else might want to go with it.

Of course, if we just want to leave it vague and undefined, where the character knows but the player doesn't, I'm cool with that as well.

Okay, so, since it may be relevant soon, maybe we should talk about who and what the Loremasters are. Yes, I have my own ideas about them, obviously, but since this is supposed to be a part of a collaborative world-building process, I wanted to see what directions Fenris-77 Fenris-77 and everyone else might want to go with it.

Of course, if we just want to leave it vague and undefined, where the character knows but the player doesn't, I'm cool with that as well.

Based just on the bit of details from your background....maybe a a guild of philosophers or orators? Lyceum to me kind of hints at theater or public speaking.

Loremasters hints at them collecting knowledge....so librarians or sages. Perhaps they horde knowledge? Perhaps they try to keep it from others? The fact that assassination is common among their number would say that this isn’t exactly a righteous group of scholars.

Just some initial ideas/impressions.

How about a group of assassin-scholars? Control of information is what can change history and influence nations. Outwardly they are an odd group of scholars, wrapped in their books, but really they are a cabal with political ambitions, using blackmail and murder gain a hold over various political figures that they can then pressure to enact certain policies and make certain decisions that the cabal deems correct. If you found out about this secret, it could explain why you left, and you'd be in danger of them finding you, which also explains your trip to the ass end of the empire.

Just an early morning thought.

The Loremasters of Ultha-Khun

A scholastic order who's origins are lost to the depths of history, or perhaps elided on purpose, it depends on who you ask. The order has schools across the Empire, and even beyond, and is controlled with a iron quill from their Fortress-University in Ultha-Khun. There are several ways that a person might become educated by the Loremasters. Many of the Empire's elite send their children to study with Loremaster's, as their brand of learning and real-politik is excellent preparation for the vicious snake pits of politics or guild life. Some students go for a year or two, almost as a finishing school, and some spend as long as four or five years under the tutelage of the Loremasters. Much different are those who are bound over to the order as apprentices. The children of the eilte never earn the title of Loremaster, which is only available to those who are bound over life and soul to the Order. The Loremasters worship Dardelion, demi-god of Prophecy, and apprentices are bound to the order in rites in his name. The education of an apprentice differs form the other students in that they are trained as much as spies and assassins as they are tutored in politics and economics. An individual apprentice is taught as befits their talents, a decision made by their individual Master. Some are even taught the arcane arts if they show any propensity. An apprentice must rise through many ranks and pass many tests to become even a Prime Scholar, which is the title below Loremaster, and even those journeymen are immensely learned and immensely deadly. Lormasters and Prime Scholars serve as advisors to many of the highest in the Empire, and while it is suspected that their loyalty to the Order might outweigh their loyalty to any particular employer, no Loremaster has ever been seen to publicly betray an employer once they've taken the gold price.

How's that sound? I have some secret stuff too, but I'd want to chat about whether or not that would be private knowledge or something you shared with the party already. I can either append it to the post or hide it under spoiler tags. Feel free to add or change details too.

Works for me. I'm okay with extra stuff being either secret or public - in fact, I'd say that depends on how the other players feel about separating IC and OOC knowledge.

As an aside, the bit about many of the apprentices being orphans is a nod to Gene Wolfe's New Sun books, where all of the torturers are orphans.

My default is that the party shares info, but it's also cool if you want to horde some tidbits to bust out later. I can add the secrets as rumours in the writeup and we can play it by ear if you like.

Something else just clicked for me. The Loremasters and the Church of the Eternal Flame are competing for the same slice of the politics pie, so they are probably not friendly at all.

Like I said, I'd rather leave that up to Banzai550 Banzai550 Brock Savage Brock Savage hawkeyefan hawkeyefan and Séadna Séadna to decide. Some players really don't like having OOC knowledge as they feel it takes them out of their own character, while others like using that sort of thing to steer their characters toward maximum drama.

Sounds good. We'll let them chime in. Ir tou could just have shared it and then its all IC.

I think part if it would depend on a character's background. Someone who grew up in one of the major cities would probably know at least some of it, while someone who grew up in a smaller village not so much.

When it comes to that stuff, I don’t have a strong preference about how it’s established, especially since I have no prior connection to the Lyceum, and none of the members of the Brotherhood are known to me.

And I’m fine if some things are kept secret and others aren’t. Whatever works for everyone is fine.

The idea that the two groups might be rivals of some kind does make sense.

As for general info, my take on Teemo is probably that he’s more of a country bumpkin that only became exposed to other areas or cultures by joining the army. So he may have heard of the Lyceum of Loremasters or similar organizations, but he’d know them mostly through the lens of rumor. Likely some of the higher born members of the army, officers and the like, may have studied there, so his knowledge of them would be based on that.

d2aov86-8b991f66-1e05-417e-afa4-bec05e4f716d.jpg

Gor the Barbarian
Background:
Bred from slave-stock to die for the entertainment of others in the fighting pits, the fact that you're up and about doesn't bode well for your former masters. You are utterly fearless in the face of danger but wary of sorcery. Being illiterate and homeless, adventuring is your best path to staying free, warm, and fed. Your fighting madness, hard drinking, lack of impulse control and love of gambling promise an interesting life.
Appearance: A 6'5" scarred brute with fists like lunch pails, steel grey eyes, a square jaw, and a shaggy mane of straight black hair. He wears naught but a mammoth hide loincloth and boots along with a spiked gladiator harness.

STR 16
DEX 9
CON 8
WIS 15
INT 7
CHA 7

Hit Points: 8

Battle Axe (one-handed)
Mammoth hide boots, loincloth, and spiked battle harness (AV2)
Large Shield (+1 Armor Die)
Quiver of javelins
Blue war paint
Shrunken skull hanging from belt (trophy)
Pair of bone dice
Pouch with 0 coins

Just an fyi, I'm a little swamped with last-minute bullshit at work, but I should be back in the saddle tomorrow or Friday at the latest.
Appreciate the heads up. My notification is wonky so I keep wondering if I missed something

All right! So the last thing that happened to Teemo was that he and Daraja were headed to town for the meeting and fireworks.

Are we waiting on anything to be resolved before some of the pending things to happen?

That sounds right. Just to be clear the fireworks are metaphorical...

Sathia is in the temple talking to the ardent.

Yu and someone are going to talk to Americk in a little bit.

Gor is scheduled to meet Sasha after the town meeting.

I think thats where everyone is at. As far as resolution goes I'll handle sathia immediately, and get the meeting with Americk rolling today too. We'll have to wait in the town meeting so we don't get to far out of synch. Anyone whos waiting is free to meet Americk. You're close enough that that makes sense.

Tulpa Girl Tulpa Girl - were you finished at the shrine? If so maybe we can get the band back together for the meeting with Americk. If not, post away and we'll continue, no sweat.

I was going to be posting something to wrap up that scene, but I now probably won't be able to write that up until tomorrow, sorry.

I was going to be posting something to wrap up that scene, but I now probably won't be able to write that up until tomorrow, sorry.
No worries, my head is fogged with painkillers anyway. Tomorrow will be grand. We'll wrap that and then move on to the meeting with Americk.

strange, but despite being registered to watch this thread, I haven't seen any posts since Dec 16. guess I'll have to manually check every day.

strange, but despite being registered to watch this thread, I haven't seen any posts since Dec 16. guess I'll have to manually check every day.
Try clicking on the 'Watch' button on the top right of the thread. It will pop up a dialog that gives you the option of receiving email notifications.

Everything is checked. I was receiving email notifications up until that last message on Dec 16. I'll just manually check from now on.

Does Avral know anything about The Crimson Sashes?

The Crimson Sashes are a well known company and they aren't cheap. You've heard that they are quite professional but are also know for no questions asked following or orders.

Just a note on the landscape around Cobblefell. There is lots of land under the plow, and that tends to be clear (duh), but the open spaces on the map above are otherwise not rolling fields of grass. The valley between the Downs and the river is a mix of forest, lower hills, and patches of trees and scrub. The forests on the map above represent areas of much denser vegetation, old growth in some cases, with beeches, oak and yew being the most common trees. The Swiftiron River is a small flow, and easily fordable in many places except during the spring melt, when water from melting snow in the downs turns it into a torrent. The Swiftiron flows into the much larger Grendel River about four miles past Americk's Stedhold. As the land rises into the Grey Downs the trees get smaller and scrub brush more common, and the hills and valleys are excellent for grazing sheep.. Beyond the downs is Serpent Ridge, a steep rise, more of a cliff in places, that marks the beginning of the High Fells. The Fells themselves are broken moorland, a maze of high flat hills, craggy rocks, and deep valleys that confuse and baffle many a traveller. The Fells are dotted with bracken and heather, ancient barrows, peat bogs, and ice cold meres.

I'm not happy with the background-as-skill thing that BH sets out as the default skill system, mostly because it's a per session thing and I don't feel like it's going to work out that well. So, what we're going to do is replace that system with a simple tag system, still based on the character backgrounds. I want each of you to choose three tags that relate somehow to your background, and these tags should index things your character is 'good at'. Think of it as standard D&D skills if you want, but it's a little more flexible than that. The base system is that these tags are worth +1 to the relevant ability for associated tasks. So if you chose stealthy of foot, you'd get +1 to DEX for checks to move silently. The more specific or obscure the tag is the more likely I am to give you more than just a +1 when you use it. Thief skills will be a pretty standard +1 because they'll get used a lot, but some obscure knowledge skill will get used infrequently and will probably get better bonuses. I'll decide based on what you guys pick. These skills will not add to attacks for damage or defend rolls, but might possibly be applicable to special combat maneuvers, if that's something you think you want we'll discuss it here and work something out. These tags can be added to your character write-ups above but I would like a chance to see what you're picking before we do that, so put 'em in a post first.

Move Silently, as an example, is about a median level of specific for what I'm thinking of. Let's not go to Stealth generally.

Important note - the tags are not stat dependent. Some might be applicable to a variety of attribute tests, it depends on what the tag is.

Bunch Bunch Tulpa Girl Tulpa Girl Brock Savage Brock Savage Séadna Séadna hawkeyefan hawkeyefan Banzai550 Banzai550

So would Herbalism +1, Research +1, and Arcane Lore +1 be acceptable for Sathia?

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back