Codex Superno and The Medieval Baltic: Any Reactions?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Lofgeornost

Feeling Martian!
Reaction score
Browsing the D&D Settings sale at DriveThru, I discovered some supplements I’d never heard of but which seemed interesting. They are all published by Codex Integrum LLC and are apparently built on the D20 3.5 SRD. I’m not interested in that iteration of D&D, but might find the books interesting as source material. I was wondering if anyone had read or used them and what their reactions were. The products are:
  • The Medieval Baltic, in 2 volumes, a sourcebook for that region in the 1450s.
  • Codex Superno, a magic system which claims to be based on Late Medieval ideas about the occult.

Never heard of either of them, but I agree they do sound interesting. A lot of supplements were published around that time that used the D&D 3.x system simply because that was the big one back then. Many are like typical GURPS 3rd edition supplements, light on mechanics and heavy on interesting information, so they could turn out to be good finds.

Browsing the D&D Settings sale at DriveThru, I discovered some supplements I’d never heard of but which seemed interesting. They are all published by Codex Integrum LLC and are apparently built on the D20 3.5 SRD. I’m not interested in that iteration of D&D, but might find the books interesting as source material. I was wondering if anyone had read or used them and what their reactions were. The products are:
  • Codex Superno, a magic system which claims to be based on Late Medieval ideas about the occult.
A little digging shows that the author is a historical fencer named Jean Chandler. He published Codex Martialis, a combat supplement or system for 3.5 around 2008 and then Codex Superno within this last year. I also found an article he's written on the HROARR website: A Historical Fencer's Primer on Late Medieval and Early Modern Magic.
I wonder what Codex Martialis was like, now:shade:!

Codex Superno seems to be free on Drivethru right now. I'm not sure if this is part of the Halloween sale, a 1-day promotion, or what.

I only stopped by to say I keep reading the title as Codex Supremo, which is awesome. I'll see myself out.

I wonder what Codex Martialis was like, now:shade:!
Me too. I looked it up and found out it's a whole range, and I already bought one of the titles (probably a charity bundle, I usually get those).
They have Core Rules, Melee Weapons (that's the one I have), Armor & Missile Weapons, and a bundle with Core Rules and the Campaign Rules for Medieval Campaigns.

He name checks Sigmund Ringeck, Joachim Meyer, Jud Lew, Miyamoto Musashi, Fiore Dei Liberi, and Achille Marozzo in the description blurb. Nothing about Carranza, Narvaez or Thibault though. You can't do Renaissance Combat without La Verdadera Destreza.

Last edited:

Man, both subjects that interest me for a game that does not :sad:

Man, both subjects that interest me for a game that does not :sad:
If I was still doing Conan in Mongoose's Conan D20, the whole line would be a must buy. I'll probably still grab stuff for reference.

If you want Baltic stuff a couple hundred years earlier, there's Crusaders of the Amber Coast, a supplement for Stupor Mundi.

If I was still doing Conan in Mongoose's Conan D20, the whole line would be a must buy. I'll probably still grab stuff for reference.

If you want Baltic stuff a couple hundred years earlier, there's Crusaders of the Amber Coast, a supplement for Stupor Mundi.

lol WTF is Stupor Mundi?

I bought the Baltic supplement ages ago and always wanted to run a GURPS campaign there. It's a pretty decent product.

Not that excited about the Codex Martialis. Just doesn't fit well with the d20 core system, never mind it being yet another HEMA-driven thing that takes way too much time and hardly makes sense outside of two equally armed fighters meeting on a level field. And as opposed to the setting guide, the presentation needs to be spiffed up for this kind of supplement.

Let's see how this magic supplement works. Hope there's nothing 19th century on the source material list.

Crusaders of the Amber Coast is a supplement for BRP rather than directly for Stupor Mundi/RQ Mongoose. Written by Paolo Guccione and illustrated by Dario Corallo, I think it is the best BRP supplement.

Like everyone else on the thread, I’d like to read an assessment of The Medieval Baltic supplement.

Crusaders of the Amber Coast is a supplement for BRP rather than directly for Stupor Mundi/RQ Mongoose. Written by Paolo Guccione and illustrated by Dario Corallo, I think it is the best BRP supplement.

Like everyone else on the thread, I’d like to read an assessment of The Medieval Baltic supplement.
Yeah, you’re right. It was meant to go along with Stupor Mundi, though, same author, same era, same focus on historical fantasy. Paolo did a RQ6 version of Stupor Mundi also. I presume at some point he’ll put them out for Renaissance d100.

I’d like to see Paolo’s opinion on the Baltic supplement.

Fun Fact: Pete Nash and Simon Phipp also worked on the Christian Magic section of Crusaders of the Amber Coast.

Absolutely. You could take your characters from Palermo to Riga. I wasn’t aware of the RQ6 version. The line seems to have been crushed by the Mongoose-Design Mechanism-Cubicle 7-Chaosium chest bumping.

Very much like to hear from the designers about their thoughts and experiences and opinions of other products.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back