Cold Iron Samurai Adventures

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

ffilz

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
I've decided to take another spin at samurai adventures on Unseen Servant, this time with Cold Iron. Here's my recruitment post over there:

And here's the text of the post:

For the past few months or so as I've been playing the Bushido campaigns here, I've contemplated how Cold Iron (a college friend's home brew RPG from the 80s) could do the genre. I thought I'd put out a recruitment post and see whether there would be enough interest for me to make the effort to do rules work to support the genre and setting work.

First: Cold Iron - here's my gateway to Cold Iron stuff:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nyO ... sp=sharing

Second: Setting

I'm still thinking about what to use for a setting. Feudal Japan would be nice, but I honestly don't have a map for Japan that would work for me. I am looking for a 5-6 mile scale hex crawl map. Ideally the map has lots of interesting features on it that I can leverage for adventure sites.

Now a general problem, I'm not actually all that well read on the genre, so there is a risk this would look a bit like generic D&D fantasy with cool Japanese weapons and armor rather than European weapons and armor. I'd like to do different so I will make efforts, but it's never going to be as much a samurai setting as someone more versed in the genre would do. Of course players versed in the genre will give the setting some color beyond what I manage.

Third: Campaign Style

I'm looking for this to follow a restricted sandbox in that I don't do big court intrigue or even little intrigue very well, so a focus on exploring adventuring sites and the countryside is going to play to my strengths better. Players are free to RP among themselves and I will do my best to respond, but I don't do long in character speeches. And RP among the players shouldn't get so heavy the GMed aspect of the campaign is lost.

Fourth: Time Frame

It will take me a while to set this up if I get enough interest to even kick it off. Patience with my pace of getting it set up, and my bumbling around in the genre will be necessary for a successful campaign.

So if this sounds remotely interesting, take a look a Cold Iron and start talking here. If we get enough momentum, I'll set up a campaign sub-forum.

Frank

I'm going to say no since I have no idea what that is.
Understandable. It is a great forum dedicated to play by post games, but there apparently are quite a few of those and I myself prefer not to try and play games on more than a few forums.

I suppose depending on interest I could try running on Discord instead.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back