[Cold Shadows] MI-5 vs the Undead.

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Stumpydave

Goose
Reaction score
Could you use the heavily narrative Cold Shadows to run something akin to Night's Black Agents, or Hunters Hunted. You know, espionagey types discover the presence of the undead and put their resources towards combatting them?

Or maybe there's conflict as to what to do? Some advocate sunlight and stakes whilst another faction wants that power for themselves and a third want to harness them in their fight against (communism, fascism, the Chinese, The Russians, The US etc. Delete as appropriate).

I've not thought of that game in a while. I should re-read it.

I loved NBA but the system did nothing for me or our group. One thing that pops into my head when you suggest using Cold Shadows is the narrative "make things true about successes" rule. I can see that mechanic a) being a great way to explore/replace the NBA-style conspyramid b) being a neat way of designing the vampires on the fly and c) being really open to abuse by players...

The times I've tried to run it (well HotB and Blood and Honour) players tend to be stymied by how open it is. I tried houseruling to offer some constraints (mostly you can't speak for or control other player characters) but they just wanted to know if they failed or succeeded and couldn't grasp they could choose if they failed or suceeded.

I still love the system though.

Could you use the heavily narrative Cold Shadows to run something akin to Night's Black Agents, or Hunters Hunted. You know, espionagey types discover the presence of the undead and put their resources towards combatting them?

Or maybe there's conflict as to what to do? Some advocate sunlight and stakes whilst another faction wants that power for themselves and a third want to harness them in their fight against (communism, fascism, the Chinese, The Russians, The US etc. Delete as appropriate).
1) You probably could, but....
2) How are you going to tell who's on your side:shade:?

I wonder if a similar hack but of FitD might not do a better job, as much as I do really love the Blood and Honor system. I think a lot depends on how combat focused you wanted your game to be. HotB does a certain sort of combat, but not the kind of combat everyone wants, never mind how difficult the system is for some players to wrap their noggins around.

Just out of interest, how much 'narrative truth' do people allow players to exert?

I struggle to allow them to state something for other players and I'm iffy about letting them control named NPC's.

Just out of interest, how much 'narrative truth' do people allow players to exert?
Depending on the game. Usually, zero outside of their own characters and maybe equipment, everything else is subject to veto.
I struggle to allow them to state something for other players and I'm iffy about letting them control named NPC's.
Sounds normal to me.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back